BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Flop as in it doesn't work good? or flop as in people won't use it even if it does work?

there's a big difference between these 2 flops

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I have been ready for Stadia to fail since day 1!

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It seems like the article points out the idea of this being a soft launch, with the launch of the free tier being the hard relaunch. I think this strategy is probably what they'll go for.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Most people dont know or care about Stadia.
xCloud will have a much more difficult time of penetrating the market if Stadia bombs. That's standard economic behavior.
xCloud is just a part of an overall plattform stragy - just like Sony isnt hurting because PSNow has been a slow burn.
Streaming is everything to Stadia - its not that essential(yet) to the other established players.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Stadia matters much less at the present time than xCloud or PS Now, as far as implications for the future of cloud gaming, IMO.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It isn't a make or break moment for cloud gaming.

Not sure Google deserves it to succeed, though, given the apparently amateur way they've approached nearly everything about the project.

Oct 25, 2017

I kind of disagree with the sentiment they lay out right away.

Seems kind of hard to take that statement seriously when xCloud is right around the corner. I know Era is is very anti Stadia but what say you?

If Google, a cloud leader and innovator, fails to launch a successful product it will no doubt have a small impact on perception of cloud gaming.

Google has a notorious history of bad launches and support, so there's a lot of cards stacked against it.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
People are just scared at what it represents for them being physical game and console owners. It's a new dynamic and people are resistant to change even if it's for the better (not saying this is).

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited for it to succeed as I feel like I'm pretty much done with buying hardware at this point.

There aren't any games I want to try at launch, but that has been standard for every console launch since the N64.

I'll likely play Cyberpunk on Stadia when it comes out. Seems like the ideal place to play it.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, Stadia flopping isn't going to doom Cloud gaming, It's just going to prove that Google didn't have the right business model for Streaming or an attractive consumer proposition.

If Stadia fails it will be a failure of Google and not a failure of streaming as a concept

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for it to flop, because they are making such a bad job at giving the customer any reason to buy this.
Missing features at launch,
no games excluvise at launch that would drive units,
still needing to buy games one by ony,
a lof of IFs at big game launches, how games look compared to PC, when do newer hardware will be implemented and will this cost more?

Plus it's Google, and why the fuck would you trust Google?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
They have a lot of issues, but it does seem like a lot of people want it to go down in flames. I don't plan on getting it, but I'd like to see it stick around at least for competition/advancing tech.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is my experience.

I think *right now* friction is too high for it to be useful out and about, and the at home experience isn't going to be good enough.

I don't think cloud gaming dies with it though. Microsoft and others are still going in that direction. Current X cloud implementation isn't for me either, but with gamepass at least you'll have a compelling library of games to stream, rather than the purchase model, which is I honestly feel, Google's biggest mistake here.

They should be trying to make this the Netflix of games pre installed on every smart TV, and not a competitor to the Switch.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a snake eating it's own tail thing. I'm a potential Stadia customer. I have fast internet, no data cap, and have no real problems with my games library being digital. If the service works, I'm a pretty easy sell. But their lack of quality titles, lack of services, and overall muddled messaging (not to mention Google's very real history of killing their services) all put a damper on my excitement.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it, I'm not against the idea of Stadia, but as a pretty hardcore videogame player the launch lineup is hilariously poor (espeically considering these are games you'll need to pay for, they aren't free with the service). I'll wait and check in next year.

I will say one thing, if Stadia can just give me visuals equivalent of the next gen hardware, that could be a selling point. I wouldn't mind a stopgap while I wait for next gen consoles to go on sale a bit.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good article. It's tough to say? I mean, what else can we truly compare the launch to? I'm like everyone else, waiting to see if Stadia will succeed or fail. I don't think the next few months will dictate Stadia's fate, the true test will come with the free subs next year.

Oct 30, 2017
I still consider it Ouya 2.0 and nothing has convinced me otherwise. Even if the launch is supposed to be "The Founder's Edition" and won't launch publicly til next year, it still seems like Google is pushing this out for the holidays since it's missing a lot of basic features.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
I think Google needs to partner with major Telcos and ISPs and trojan horse this device into people's homes.

I think people would use the service if they gain easy access to the service and if they knew the quality of the service would be sufficient. (bandwidth wise)

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
A lot of these criticisms are true. The controller shit, the lack of "launch" games, the limited mobile phone support, the underbaked UI/functionality. I think all that stuff sucks, and will have to improve rapidly.

But basically if the core experience of 4k streaming on a Chromecast is solid, you can't discount Google's position in the industry. When major games like Cyberpunk come out, existing console owners can buy the Stadia version and get the ability to take their game on laptops and phones, probably with way better graphics than 2013 consoles. And non-console owners will have the option to play a major (borderline next-gen) game with no hardware commitment.

By the time Sony and MS are ready to launch their next hardware, a lot of people will already be getting an equivalent experience via streaming.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
One need only look at the Stadia threads on this forum. . .

Yeah, Stadia flopping isn't going to doom Cloud gaming, It's just going to prove that Google didn't have the right business model for Streaming or an attractive consumer proposition.

If Stadia fails it will be a failure of Google and not a failure of streaming as a concept

Free cloud gaming where you purchase your own games. . .I don't know how much of a better model you can have than that.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still consider it Ouya 2.0 and nothing has convinced me otherwise. Even if the launch is supposed to be "The Founder's Edition" and won't launch publicly til next year, it still seems like Google is pushing this out for the holidays since it's missing a lot of basic features.
What features do you consider basic because switch is still missing a lot after almost 3 years

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Xcloud seems like an add-on to the MS ecosystem than something separate

Which is why Stadia's success or failure could make a larger impact on the market. Xbox is a brand that's mostly popular in America (and UK to some extent) and has been the least selling console for two generations now. If it is too closely tied to their ecosystem it will be good for gamers who are already invested but the public at large would not care as much. Stadia is targeting the YouTube audience which is much larger, and their success or failure will be a lot more public outside of the gaming sphere.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Only because it is a Google product and it seems pretty unremarkable compared to other gaming services.

Would people say the same for Xcloud, Sony's version / updated PSNow, or Steam's Cloud Gaming service alongside its seemingly vendor agnostic approach?

Probably not. And I'm certainly interested in Valve's own solution, having an existing very large library, and the high probability that it's cost would be minimal / written off, and give access to games you already own.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I've been waiting for it to fail since their CEO opened the presentation with a hilarious skit about how he doesnt like games

OP
OP
Parenegade

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Free cloud gaming where you purchase your own games. . .I don't know how much of a better model you can have than that.

Well if Stadia doesn't work well and xCloud does...xCloud would be better. We're sort of ignoring quality of the product in this discussion.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I never wanted it to flop, but it currently offers me nothing. They needed to come out of the gates swinging and instead we're just getting old games that i've either played or can play currently. There's nothing to push me to try it out. And by the time anything potentially significant comes along it's going to be overshadowed by a new wave of consoles and tech anyway that I'll be more interested in.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Gamepass Streaming
Streaming game rentals

Paying ownership prices for content you can't own, and that being the only option is not an attractive model

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only because it is a Google product and it seems pretty unremarkable compared to other gaming services.

Would people say the same for Xcloud, Sony's version / updated PSNow, or Steam's Cloud Gaming service alongside its seemingly vendor agnostic approach?

Probably not. And I'm certainly interested in Valve's own solution, having an existing very large library, and the high probability that it's cost would be minimal / written off, and give access to games you already own.
PSnow has been out for 5 years and still sucks, it can't even do 1080p

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think in the long run, once they've ironed out all the small problems, it's gonna do fine. If the experience becomes easy to go in and out of games, with just a decent internet connection, your TV and a controller then I predict people will bite. I have a horrible internet connection and yet I still find myself strangely intrigued by the concept of outsourcing all the technicalities onto a tech giant. All you have to do is pay and play, max stats too. Assuming it all works out like that eventually.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Its because of Google and how awful they've been at managing their products and services the past few years, im waiting for xcloud to judge cloud gaming. Google is also the reason I left Android after being an android guy since the original G1 through Pixel 2.

In general I don't like the idea of cloud gaming but as long as I always have the option to download im good with options.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The gaming community wants everything remotely new to fail. They hate 4K, VR, Raytracing, Cloud gaming, Battle Royale, you name it. Edit: Switch too. Remember pre-launch with how much hate it got?

I'd say gamers are the single biggest group of luddites on the planet, which is ironic given gaming is the most technologically-driven entertainment medium we have outside of VR.

At the end of the day, gamers need to learn to zip it more often and let the industry force things on them more because developers usually know better than players. That's how we got 3D graphics, mouselook, and analog controls. Gamers were not asking for these, and were instead forced into them.

Granted, some things deserve hate and shouldn't be forced (lootboxes) but a lot of the time, developers know best.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
Good article. It's tough to say? I mean, what else can we truly compare the launch to? I'm like everyone else, waiting to see if Stadia will succeed or fail. I don't think the next few months will dictate Stadia's fate, the true test will come with the free subs next year.

A bad launch now will be a big stain on their brand though. You don't get to make a second first impression

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
What features do you consider basic because switch is still missing a lot after almost 3 years
Nintendo makes arguably the best games of all time, Google is letting you play Ghost recon breakpoint in 1080p on your phone with a usb cable connected to a controller, they arent comparable though yes Nintendo sucks at adding features as well, hardware was never their strong point. Neither are services for that matter.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The gaming community wants everything remotely new to fail. They hate 4K, VR, Raytracing, Cloud gaming, Battle Royale, you name it.

I'd say gamers are the single biggest group of luddites on the planet, which is ironic given gaming is the most technologically-driven entertainment medium we have outside of VR.

At the end of the day, gamers need to learn to zip it more often and let the industry force things on them more because developers usually know better than players. That's how we got 3D graphics, mouselook, and analog controls. Gamers were not asking for these, and were instead forced into them.

People have legitimate concerns about Stadia and to just handwave those concerns away as people being "luddites" Is not only insulting. It's lazy rhetoric that shows that you don't actually want to engage with the conversation that is happening.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
The gaming community wants everything remotely new to fail. They hate 4K, VR, Raytracing, Cloud gaming, Battle Royale, you name it.

Granted, some things deserve hate and shouldn't be forced (lootboxes) but a lot of the time, developers know best.
I'm gonna disagree and heavily go against the idea that consumers should just shut up and let the future be dictated by companies who care about their own profit first and everything else second.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019

xCloud is just a part of an overall plattform stragy - just like Sony isnt hurting because PSNow has been a slow burn.
Streaming is everything to Stadia - its not that essential(yet) to the other established players.
Right and Wrong. Most people don't know about Stadia because Google has not done what it does best and showcase you Ads about it on YouTube. The article is right in that they are soft launching Stadia with Founders. They are going to iron our bugs and beta test with the Founders. They are probably hoping to use Founders to better scale the platform. Then, when they are ready for the launch to include everyone - you are going to know about it because everytime you launch YouTube, there is probably going to be a great chance that they are going to tell you about it. Don't underestimate the leveraging value of YouTube. I think a lot of people are very bearish on the whole concept of Stadia because of the fear that it might succeed. As far as XCloud is concerned - where are the positive reviews? Aren't there a lot of beta testers out there with the few games that are on it right now? I'm very curious to see other give real previews/reviews on it.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I can't see them maintaining this in the long term. At best Google will straight up rebrand Stadia in a couple of years with an actual subscription model but right now not only are the cards stacked against it, but no one seems to care.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
PSnow has been out for 5 years and still sucks, it can't even do 1080p

And I'm certainly well aware of that - having picked up a month to binge through God of War and RDR 1.
I have a 40Mbps connection, that with certainty is very stable - and can't have a session lasting longer than 30mins without insane lag, reduced bit rate and then disconnection.

Steam's Link Anywhere is already excellent, and without additional cost, relaying through Valve's infrastructure. I'd be interested in their solution dependant on the tech and for the greater convenience over having to leave my machine on as a server. Really depends on how easy it is to play games I own as a purely additive extension. If it's going to cost next to nothing, also can't complain.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A bad launch now will be a big stain on their brand though. You don't get to make a second first impression
No doubt, they don't have the luxury of a console like Xbox or PS to fall back on so it's going to hurt if it fails. Everything I've read on them so far hasn't been great, but will see what happens. Just another week and will all find out if Stadia is the future. (in terms of streaming)