• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I don't get why anyone should be concerned about fanboys when it comes to market data. Fanboys always have ammo to use against each other regardless.

MS investors and partners know actual numbers. Revealing them to fans publicily is not required.

Sony is doing it coz numbers are good and it gives them positive PR points . They can beat their chest and tell everyone that we rule the market. MS can't do that, so what's the point.

Oct 27, 2017
Weekly global hardware chart:
21st April 2018 vgcharts

PS4 243,826
Xone 89,217

Well, there it is. Hopefully Microsoft have something interesting to show at this year's E3 and they can turn these numbers around.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Where do I even mention exclusive games? Who are these people ripe demanding more? Was there some kind of mass-movement among Xbox fans prior to the announcement of BC demanding it be added?

As I thought I'd stated clearly - BC is of value to some consumers but not all. Personally it holds little value to me - I used it in the PS2 era to play WipEout 2097 & not at all on the PS3 - but I as I said it holds value for some consumers.

A service they are offering that does, IMO, have universal appeal is GamePass.

Chris they didn't use numbers, my point addresses the theme through the thread that unit sales aren't important to them anymore, that they aren't a metric MS is interested in, preferring MAU & other engagement metrics rather than physical sales, when quite clearly if they have the story all that high-level stuff goes out of the window & it's back to the 'Hey look we won guys!!!' messaging.

Be fun to see them revealing conversion & churn metrics for GamePass in the coming months.

There is a generally dismissive tone for what MS do offer that I felt your initial post reinforced. The thing about exclusive games is that when MS do produce the best game in a genre such as FH3 or whatever, those games will suddenly not be the ones certain posters want to play....and probably the argument will revert to something else.

As for the bit re numbers, doing PR saying you were the top selling product in a month doesn't negate the fact that MS across the piece are more interested in value via engagement, subsription and active users. The fact they feel this best represents their business to investors is not about console wars and coming second and more about the long term direction Nadella has put in place.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Weekly global hardware chart:
21st April 2018 vgcharts

PS4 243,826
Xone 89,217

Well, there it is. Hopefully Microsoft have something interesting to show at this year's E3 and they can turn these numbers around.
They don't care for the numbers to turn around, they're focusing more on services that span platforms (Xbox AND Windows). They make more money that way, and if it trading ground on console market for GAAS marketshare, then they'll gladly do that.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No sense in reporting number of consoles sold it simply makes Microsoft look weak even if they are selling gangbusters. I believe we're at like 80million PS4's now and last I believe Microsoft was around 40-50? While that's a great number when you compare it against Sony's 80 consumers would instantly think it's not nearly as popular or good.

Now Sony will post numbers because it's a Positive Metric. IF Microsoft was in 1st place I'd expect them to sing a different tune.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
So? The thing is MS is the most active company of the big three when it comes to PR, "hours spent on BC", "engagement", "Phil says..."
No wonder they are getting mocked on a gaming board for not speaking about the most essential part of the business.

I think Microsoft should stop using some of the funny metricks they use (friendhips made or number of clubs on XBL) but something coming with "but how many have they sold???" each time anybody from Microsoft gives any kind of data is boring, and I still hope people will get bored some day.

All those metrics are the reason why we're having these kind of threads and discussions.

Microsoft will keep on throwing new random irrelevant metrics and their fans will keep on justifying and explaining how *Insert metric* is suddenly more important than everything else.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
People thinking they still sit around the 30 mil mark are crazy. Probably more between 40-50

You're crazy if you think xbox sold more than 40 millions lol

Truth is Microsoft Xbox's sales are so far behind the competition that it doesn't make any sense to reveal sale figure anymore

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No sense in reporting number of consoles sold it simply makes Microsoft look weak even if they are selling gangbusters. I believe we're at like 80million PS4's now and last I believe Microsoft was around 40-50? While that's a great number when you compare it against Sony's 80 consumers would instantly think it's not nearly as popular or good.

Now Sony will post numbers because it's a Positive Metric. IF Microsoft was in 1st place I'd expect them to sing a different tune.
You know what's funny in all this?

There were times Sony had no PR, even when we knew they were #1 in NPD threads. Some saw it as, why gloat.

Which is why it's interesting when MS gives PR when they do come out on top here n there.

Like now Sony might only post milestones. The difference is MS is doing that too, but not including unit sales.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's say it is all about engagement and recurring revenues then why don't we get Xbox live gold and game pass subscription numbers at least. Also xbox live gold is directly tied to xone consoles sold as console owners are the only ones who have to pay for it so yes hardware sales do affect subscription sales .

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Zhuge's 35 mill number was based on reliable data. Not 100% accurate, but a good ball park.

Anyway, read recently by another member that has enough access to sales numbers that the console is at ~37mill since then.

Either way, not in the 40-50 vicinity.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
All those metrics are the reason why we're having these kind of threads and discussions.

Microsoft will keep on throwing new random irrelevant metrics and their fans will keep on justifying and explaining how *Insert metric* is suddenly more important than everything else.
If you say so, ok.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's not a new thing. They announced 2 years ago they were switching to reporting on MAU/engagement for the division as that's the metric that ultimately matters most.

But obviously if engagement is going up significantly, they must also be selling more consoles.

Don't be naive, if they had great sales numbers they would be screaming about it constantly for good press.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
MS investors and partners know actual numbers. Revealing them to fans publicily is not required.

Sony is doing it coz numbers are good and it gives them positive PR points . They can beat their chest and tell everyone that we rule the market. MS can't do that, so what's the point.

Nintendo put out WiiU sales numbers even when they were terrible.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as we are talking about sales and all when did the Mattrick/Kinect effect kick in for 360 in terms of the year in its life cycle?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I understand that since they are far behind, they don't release numbers, but I definitely respect Nintendo as they continue to release numbers. They're in last but they are on trajectory for second place for sure, maybe even first.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BS, because he is verified and a member here? Has he ever shown receipts?

orig

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
PlayStation by the Numbers November 2008

PlayStation Brand Continues Strong Sales Momentum Into the Holiday Season; PS3 Hardware Sales Grow 60% Year-to-Date

Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales in November 2008 Top 1 Million

The PlayStation brand began the holiday season by posting solid sales at retail across its three platforms, with more than 1 million hardware units sold in November 2008, a 93% growth from the October 2008, according to NPD.

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) has continued its strong momentum during the holiday season with 378,071 hardware units sold in November, representing an increase of almost 100% from October. From January to November 2008, more than 2.8 million PS3s have been sold in the U.S., representing a year-to-date hardware sales growth of more than 60%.

Fueled by an unmatched holiday line-up of blockbuster first and third-party titles, more that 3,552,456 software units were sold for PS3 in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 150%.
[...]

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack proved to be a popular choice for movies, games and entertainment content on-the-go in November, with 420,539 units sold. This represents an increase of 118% from October.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) and the LEGO Batman: The Videogame PS2 Entertainment Pack posted solid sales in November, with 205,944 hardware units sold, a 51% increase from the previous month.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

The PlayStation brand generated strong sales across all three platforms, earning $663 million in November.

* Year-to-date (Jan-Nov), the PlayStation brand generated more than 5 billion in revenue, representing an 11% growth year-to-date.
* PlayStation total hardware revenue was $261 million in November, representing a year-to-date growth of 9%.
* PlayStation total software revenue in November was $352 million, representing a year-to-date growth of 16%.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say it is all about engagement and recurring revenues then why don't we get Xbox live gold and game pass subscription numbers at least. Also xbox live gold is directly tied to xone consoles sold as console owners are the only ones who have to pay for it so yes hardware sales do affect subscription sales .
this is a very good question. For all the importance they place in engagement now, why are they so embarrassed to give out actual numbers for them, if they are doing so well?

Fresco Vivir

Apr 12, 2018
not sure what are the exact numbers but I expect them to hit 45 mil ~ 50 mil by the end of 2018 based on their growth of the first quarter.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
  1. Verge getting desperate for clicks by recycling old news as new news
  2. Number of active Xbox Live accounts and Game Pass accounts is far more relevant based on their current strategy

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why it matters. As long as Xbox isn't going under, and aside from financial analysts or traders, why do we care how many of any system sold?

Sales are usually indicators of game development. If your a smaller developer and have a great title but not enough resources you might tie your future to the market leader for sales. This could lead to lopsided original IP's coming to a rival console.

Status
Not open for further replies.