Oct 27, 2017
The US Womens' Soccer team has been the subject of quite a bit of scrutiny and criticism for their controversial goal celebrations during the World Cup finals in France. The first incident came with their 13-0 thrashing of Thailand, in which they continued to wildly celebrate against the World Cup newcomers even after reaching double digits. The most recent incident came in yesterdays semi-final against England which ended 2-1 for the US team. Alex Morgan scored the US teams' second goal and she celebrated this by feigning to drink a cup of tea. Morgan claims that this celebration was just referencing the saying 'that's the tea', but given that the opposition was England, a nation traditionally renowned for its love of tea, its quite easy to see why many spectators saw this as a slight against England. Other's have seen this as a reference to the 'Boston Tea Party', an incident which sparked the start of the American War of Independence against England.

It appears that the Womens' US Soccer twitter handler agreed with this interpretation:

No.13 on her birthday. In honor of those 13 Colonies. That's. The. Tea.

Are celebrations aimed at an opponent's national history or stereotype appropriate in football (soccer)? Or is this just harmless fun?

16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
its all about where you draw the line

its not great sportsmanship for a team to showboat or mock their opponents.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the infinite amount of things going on in the world that deserve deep thought, this won't be getting much attention from me.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
really just sounds like a bunch of complaints from the "no fun allowed" crowd.

Want to stop them celebrating? Beat them. They are crushing. Get over it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In men's soccer you have goal scorers shushing the crowd.
In women's soccer you have goal scorers drinking tea.

Which one is toxic and/or controversial?

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I could get the problem if it´s something hurtfull ou straight up racist, but drinking tea? I don´t get the problem

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Pretty sure the social media person was just trying to convey that she has 13 goals.

That being said, this is an issue because it is women's soccer. This happens all the fucking time in national men's soccer. It's pretty fucking sexist imo to suggest that the women are "acting out."

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Brits getting salty over a bit of banter might be the most hypocritical thing since the founding fathers declared all men were created equal while having slaves.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it. It's silly fun, sure, but I'd be just as fine if the roles were reversed. If someone else beats the US Women's team, I'd love to see them mime something the US Women are known for.

They could mime winning at soccer, for instance.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
The reactions in the WWC OT yesterday were equally hilarious and absurd

Effnine

Oct 28, 2017
This is the very definition of "Who gives a shit?". It's sports, people celebrate, stop taking things so seriously

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's also noticeable the differences when women show a little bravado versus when men do it. Seems a certain kind of dude gets shaky.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with it as long as none of the stuff they're doing ends up being sold as a Fortnite dance

Oct 27, 2017
Griezmann literally did a Fortnite dance. The 'take the L' dance, to be precise.

This is actually quite funny. First time watching soccer?

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I get it for the way they celebrated against Thailand but the England one is fine.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
D-f6zBxU0AAcjGp.jpg:large

Oct 25, 2017
If this was a destiny 2 emote she'd have pulled out a giant neon cup of tea, drank it down and then thrown it at the crowd for it to explode into fire works spelling out HAPPY 4TH

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Every time anyone scores a goal in soccer they celebrate like it's the birth of their first child and you're getting upset over an air-teacup?!

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
it should be pointed out that one of the women said she didnt like trump so just remember a lot of this vitriol is for SURE coming from the alt right who suddenly care about sportsmanship