• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my:

Ghostbusters
Hot Wheels
Fast Food Toys
Pokemon
Nerf

Those are all my childhood save for TMNT, Star Ward and Power Rangers. I remember the TMNT one I think , had they done Power Rangers yet?

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Yaay I love this show. Doesn't seem to have any nostalgia for me. My toy time was from 82 to 89, never had Real Ghostbusters toys. I I guess fast food toys I'll connect with the most. But it'll still be fun to watch eps on stuff I know nothing about.

Have they done Pound Puppies yet? That seems like it was bigger than Polly Pocket in my recollection.

Pound Puppies would be great. I guess I have Secret Galaxy for the B-tier stuff like Crystar, Dino Riders and Centurions.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Heck yes. Pokemon was the big one they were missing.

Kinda sad they're gonna run out of material. Does Fortnite count as a toy?

plagiarize

Unfurling New Wings
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I have. I have no idea they were the parent company apparently.
Both started out as greeting cards characters. Strawberry Shortcake expanded into other things like toys and TV tie ins etc later in response to the massive enthusiasm for the character. Care Bears was a more intentional version at creating a character that could be a toy, on TV, on anything to recreate that success as Strawberry Shortcake's popularity peaked.

Honestly, it's a pretty interesting story. Care Bears are 100% cynical mass marketing brilliance.

plagiarize

Unfurling New Wings
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Have they done Pound Puppies yet? That seems like it was bigger than Polly Pocket in my recollection.
Polly Pocket was more influential and probably had a more lasting impact on the industry. It's a more interesting story I'd wager for that reason. Pound Puppies were great! But didn't really innovate in the same way. Pound Puppies were very much 'what if cabbage patch kids but dogs'.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Polly Pocket was more influential and probably had a more lasting impact on the industry. It's a more interesting story I'd wager for that reason. Pound Puppies were great! But didn't really innovate in the same way. Pound Puppies were very much 'what if cabbage patch kids but dogs'.

Speaking of which, they haven't done Cabbage Patch Kids yet either. Surely they were more influential than Polly Pocket?

EDIT - Also, Polly Pocket is very much 'what if transformers and micro machines but targeted at girls'. But looking on Wikipedia it seems the Polly Pocket line is still going today so I guess that's why they are doing it over some of these others.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, been wishing for more episodes of this. Looking forward to Pokemon (they gotta bring up the whole Burger King crossover & the fact the Pokeballs had to be recalled), fast food toys, & Nerf.

They could probably get a decent episode out of Tamagotchi, especially since they still make them to this day. Beanie Babies feels like another obvious choice, but it also feels like that's gotten a documentary or two already.

Edit: Tonka trucks might have enough material for an episode. Same for Micro Machines. Maybe Super Soaker as well?

Last edited:

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Wonderfully researched show with great interviews, narrator and dopey sound effects are nails on a chalkboard. I guess that kind of dumbshit presentation is what gets it greenlit by executives, so that's fine I guess.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Polly Pocket/HotWheels for sure have to address their coming movies now.

Also wonder if their Disney Attraction spinoff is getting renewed.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I never thought about wether Polly Pocket or Mighty Max came first, but Polly Pocket is still a thing today and barely anyone remembers Mighty Max.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I kind of lost interest in this with the Masters of the Universe episode and their letting the bullshit of "She-Ra and the PoP line being what killed MOTU because boys got turned off by their sisters having their version" go by unchallenged.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Mad Max as a kid, so I'm excited for the Polly Pocket episode.
Aside from Lego, Star Wars and transformers, I spent a lottttt of allowance as a kid on might max lol. Some of those sets were pretty awesome. The red skull mountain thing was a Christmas present one year. The dragon island thing a Christmas present another year. The Frankenstein lab skull shaped one was one of my favourites though.

I guess I never thought about wether Polly Pocket or Mighty Max came first, but Polly Pocket is still a thing today and barely anyone remembers Mighty Max.
It seemed readily apparent to me because it got referred to as "Polly pocket for boys" a lot when I was a kid.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Mighty Max can sneak in there for the Polly Pocket episode.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from Lego, Star Wars and transformers, I spent a lottttt of allowance as a kid on might max lol. Some of those sets were pretty awesome. The red skull mountain thing was a Christmas present one year. The dragon island thing a Christmas present another year. The Frankenstein lab skull shaped one was one of my favourites though.
Oh right, MIGHTY Max, not Mad Max, haha.

I knew that sounded wrong when I was typing it!

My favorite was this lava rock monster action figure and I think it's chest and arms opened into the set, it was so cool, but I think I eventually lost a bunch of the parts.

I also remember the Skull and the Triceratops of the regular sets.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Mighty Max has to have a segment. Wouldn't mind an episode for R rated movie getting kids figures like Robocop, Terminator, Aliens etc.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was well wrapped up by now, but I'm interested in the fast food toys and and Ghostbusters, given the latter's mass of merchandizing in the 80s-90s, and the former sounds like an interesting history to get into.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly thought this series was over, so I'm glad it's coming back with more episodes. Echoing others that the fast food toys episode is the one I'd like to see the most, that could be a lot of fun.

I'm also really hoping that more seasons/episodes of The Movies That Made Us are in the works as well.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Heck yes. Pokemon was the big one they were missing.

Kinda sad they're gonna run out of material. Does Fortnite count as a toy?

From my memory if they ever feel like they 'run out' there's plenty of episodes that deserve expansion. Like, the Star Wars episode fast forwarded through the entirety of the prequel era, I think it barely touched on just how much there was during Episode 1, and definitely didn't do anything deep into the Clone Wars or the rise of the 6 inch figures.

And I kind of assume Pokémon is going to be the same. I'm sure they can pull off a 90s centric one but there's definitely a whole episode to be made just on the cards.

Polly Pocket/HotWheels for sure have to address their coming movies now.

Also wonder if their Disney Attraction spinoff is getting renewed.

Was that attraction show any good? I watched a bit of it but it just seemed like a lesser Defunctland but with the bonus of interviews.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
From my memory if they ever feel like they 'run out' there's plenty of episodes that deserve expansion. Like, the Star Wars episode fast forwarded through the entirety of the prequel era, I think it barely touched on just how much there was during Episode 1, and definitely didn't do anything deep into the Clone Wars or the rise of the 6 inch figures.

And I kind of assume Pokémon is going to be the same. I'm sure they can pull off a 90s centric one but there's definitely a whole episode to be made just on the cards.

That's true. They could easily do a whole season on just Star Wars toys, all the different eras.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised to hear this series is coming back, all the episodes have been pretty good for the first two seasons. Movies That Made Us was great too. Video Games That Made Us in the works?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
These are some good fun topics but I just can't stand the narrator and editing style of this show, it's bit obnoxious. Like the subject is for people from the 80's and 90s but presented as a YouTube video for kids.

I'll give it a try and see how long I can stomach it or if it has improved.