Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
We're soon going to to see Jensen's new GPUs and Samsung comes with a new batch of ultra fast SSDs and it'll be clear that building a new high end PC gaming rig will likely cost $3000, possibly even without adding the cost of a monitor. Then we have the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft coming up being rumoured to cost up to $600, add extra SSDs for the increasingly big digital libraries and we're set back $800. A new Switch is rumored to arrive in the start of next year, another $350 I assume.

We could easily end up at $4000...
Add a new HDMI 2.1 TV into the mix as well and we're up at $5000...

Can the total cost for multiplatform gaming even be justified at this point?
Maybe the fanboys was right all along. Focus on one platform, ignore the rest, have money left to actually buy games and maybe some food too.

Sorry for rambling here, I just took a peek at the Nvidia 3000 serie thread and nearly passed out from the pricing talk.

Post-Nvidia event edit:
Wow! $699 for the 3080!
No doubt, I'm less concerned right now, the 3080 was cheaper than expected and still a beast, so that's where I'll aim for PC gaming. Then I think I'll keep on letting high fps gaming be a PC exclusives feature as well for a few years, so no new HDMI 2.1 TV. And if I threat PS5 as an exclusives box I could possibly wait a few years on that as well, maybe.
In the end it should be doable.

Last edited:

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to get the best of the best. You can always wait as well

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
vx3uamqvoogz.jpg

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still rocking a 970 from 6 years ago and 95% of games that release work absolutely fine.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Who buys a PC for 3 grand outside of the smallest benchmark enthusiast group? Why would you waste at least $1500 just to get 4-6 more frames on average?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I mean, I assume with that $3000 gaming PC that's including a 3090? That's not just a high end PC . . . That's like the highest end.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
or you could just buy a console on holiday sale(xbox one, PS4, Switch/Lite) for 199 that will come with 1-3 game bundle, then buy gamepass or something like that. or do like me and just play destiny for 1000 hours a year which will cost you i dunno, 30-60 bucks a year to buy all the expansions or whatever.

in the pantheon of hobbys gaming isn't too bad at all if not cheap imo.

PC hardware can really add up fast if you're going higher end though. However a decent rig could easily be built for ~1k. And respectable one for I dunno, 600-800. If you are actually interested in gaming and not the bells and whistles the decent one will be fine.

Also most people probably own a PC that they can slap a 100-200 GPU in and game. Or even many games can play on IGP's of a laptop. And there's err, always Stadia I guess, lol.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Most pc gamers (rightly) don't go for the highest end products available, most console gamers don't buy many games over the course of a machines lifetime, not everyone needs every machine.

Things balance out for most people.

But yea it's all generally expensive at least compared to some hobbies.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
lol okay I deserved that

But seriously, holy crap I really need that second job, I'm even investing in stocks to be ahead of the pricing game but I'm still standing with my jaw at the floor when adding up the costs. It really is an insanely expensive hobby unless you focus on one platform.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This is always why I can't take a majority of the people saying "If MS/Sony releases their games on PC I won't buy a console ever again" seriously. Like yeah right. The cost of a console vs the cost of a PC that will play AAA games at medium/high settings for the next seven years?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Lol who's seriously spending $3000 on a gaming PC? You can get away with a $700 one and play through most of a gen just fine. Sure it probably won't be any higher than 1080p and not high frame rates, but should be a decent qualty

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
The highest end is pricey af. But that is hardly necessary. The cost to performance ratio from high end to ultra is not worth it at all imo

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
lol okay I deserved that

But seriously, holy crap I really need that second job, I'm even investing in stocks to be ahead of the pricing game but I'm still standing with my jaw at the floor when adding up the costs. It really is an insanely expensive hobby unless you focus on one platform.
You know there's a lot of granularity between the top components along with all consoles with storage additions, and just having a single platform, right? You could have a console and a PC, you could have two different consoles, you don't need to get top end components, you don't even need to get the most expensive versions of a console. It's strange how you've tallied the most expensive path then conclude that a single platform is the only alternative.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Lol, Nvidia 3000?

I play with modest settings and I'm fine. Still playing on PS4 slim too.

And in Brazil, games on consoles are 2/3x more expensive because of regional pricing.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Firstly you don't have to be on the cutting edge, and considering how much games libraries overlap these days you can easily forego certain systems. Or purchase cheaper versions of them.

Also my car enthusiast friend just spent almost 10k on new rims. If gaming is your hobby it's defs not t an expensive one, and nobody will be looking to buy on the high end unless it's a hobby.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What even is this thread? Good god, be better about spending or not spending in this case.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Wait for sales, buy second hand, sell your old hardware to help with the cost of the upgrades, buy physical on console and sell the games when you're finished, sell your old console to help pay for the new one, etc. There's always a way.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But PC must be more powerful than consoles!

I never understood that mindset on gaming forums lol

PC has so many advntages to me that aren't ultra settings. The biggest/more diverse library, eternal BC, any controller, mods... and the best regional pricing, my top priority.

Jun 22, 2018
We're soon going to to see Jensen's new GPUs and Samsung comes with a new batch of ultra fast SSDs and it'll be clear that building a new high end PC gaming rig will likely cost $3000, possibly even without adding the cost of a monitor. Then we have the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft coming up being rumoured to cost up to $600, add extra SSDs for the increasingly big digital libraries and we're set back $800. A new Switch is rumored to arrive in the start of next year, another $350 I assume.

We could easily end up at $4000...
Add a new HDMI 2.1 TV into the mix as well and we're up at $5000...

Can the total cost for multiplatform gaming even be justified at this point?
Maybe the fanboys was right all along. Focus on one platform, ignore the rest, have money left to actually buy games and maybe some food too.

Sorry for rambling here, I just took a peek at the Nvidia 3000 serie thread and nearly passed out from the pricing talk.
You don't need a $3000 PC to enjoy PC gaming. Not even close.

The most common GPUs used by Steam users are like $250 GPUs. CPUs are usually mid-grade i5's and stuff, too.

You can get a 1TB SSD that's not too far off from the PS5's base read speed for $250. Mine isn't quite that fast, but I already have a primary SSD (1TB) that's faster than the one coming in the Xbox Series X.

You don't have to buy extra SSDs on day 1.

You don't need an HDMI 2.1 TV to benefit from or enjoy these consoles.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah.....but what does that have to do with you're original question?

I was just answering that.

You seemed to be answering the "why would you need a 3000 series", which is a totally different question to what I asked which was "why would you need a 3000 series to play games on PC".

The answer to my question, as best I can tell is, you don't unless you're some extreme enthusiast.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seemed to be answering the "why would you need a 3000 series", which is a totally different question to what I asked which was "why would you need a 3000 series to play games on PC".

The answer to my question, as best I can tell is, you don't unless you're some extreme enthusiast.

Ah right. My bad.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The cost of PC gaming is getting higher and higher each year.

I know Nvidia will overprice the fuck out of their GPUs so unless AMD deliver I'm simply going to stick to console gaming for the next 2 years.

I cannot be bothered to constantly spend £1000+ on my pc every 1-2 years. Frankly it's the biggest waste of money ever.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Bruh. Just stick to 1080p or even 1440p at medium or high and don't go over 60 fps and you'll be more than fine. This race to the highest end hardware is not worth the cost IMO.

Jun 22, 2018

I know Nvidia will overprice the fuck out of their GPUs so unless AMD deliver I'm simply going to stick to console gaming for the next 2 years.

I cannot be bothered to constantly spend £1000+ on my pc every 1-2 years. Frankly it's the biggest waste of money ever.
That WOULD be a waste of money. You can easily enjoy PC gaming with only upgrading your PC every 5-7 years if you're buying higher end parts. If you're buying mid-grade parts, then your upgraded GPU will only be $300-$500 every 3-5 years.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

My 1080ti will last me a few more years. Already been 3.

Dunno why you would spend that much every year or two.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The gaming hobbie is expensive. My consoles and PC setup are ~$8,000 and that's w/o games and/or subs.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Btw OP, I bought a 500gb SSD, and still have a 2tb HDD for everything that doesn't need a SSD.

There's no point in playing Undertale or Steins;Gate in a SSD for example.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This is always why I can't take a majority of the people saying "If MS/Sony releases their games on PC I won't buy a console ever again" seriously. Like yeah right. The cost of a console vs the cost of a PC that will play AAA games at medium/high settings for the next seven years?
what? how will a PC play medium settings? what?

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
You don't buy a PC for 3000 grand unless you have the money to spend / waste...
You upgrade it over time.

My rig is running a Ryzen 5 1600x and a GTX 1070.
I probably need to update the CPU but the GPU is still fine for 1080p gaming.

And yes, gaming is a costly hobby. It's a luxury. That's nothing new though.

The cost of a console vs the cost of a PC that will play AAA games at medium/high settings for the next seven years?

Seriously? Roughly the same.
You can get a decent gaming machine for 500 to 600 bucks (not counting peripherals).

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Who buys a PC for 3 grand outside of the smallest benchmark enthusiast group? Why would you waste at least $1500 just to get 4-6 more frames on average?

Lol who's seriously spending $3000 on a gaming PC? You can get away with a $700 one and play through most of a gen just fine. Sure it probably won't be any higher than 1080p and not high frame rates, but should be a decent qualty

I technically did to get into PC gaming last fall ($2700). I used $1600 in store credit that I had no longer any use for to get a prebuilt, and spent the remainder on replacing the cooling, PSU, added an SSD, etc., as well as getting a monitor, keyboard, and other items. Then I bought some AAA games.

I'm kinda with OP. What's the use of playing games if you're not investing in the best experience? For example, I don't listen to music in my car because I have a cheap sound system there. I'd rather drive around listening to AM or in silence than to ruin the experience with inferior hardware.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a personal problem op. You don't need a fuck you money pc build and you don't need to upgrade your displays every time a new console comes out.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda with OP. What's the use of playing games if you're not investing in the best experience? For example, I don't listen to music in my car because I have a cheap sound system there. I'd rather drive around listening to AM or in silence than to ruin the experience with inferior hardware.
Good lord.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
If you're talking about a PCI4 SSD, GTC3080Ti, G-Sync monitor, etc then sure.

Ferraris cost a lot of money too. You're also welcome to buy a Ford instead.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
This is a bad take. You'll play those games at higher framerate and fidelity than consoles for most of the generation with a mid to high end pc no problem. Furthermore, you also get the benefit of full backward compatibility across the entire PC history and stuff like game pass PC, humble bundle,steam sales, free online and EGS free games which saves you a ton of money. PC also have full genres which are mostly exclusive to it because they don't really play well without a keyboard/mouse combo. It's totally understandable that someone would go for only a PC if it wasn't for exclusives.