ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
After nearly a decade of development, The Strangers is finally getting a sequel. I have always heard rumblings of it existing but they shot it over the summer and are gearing up to release it in March. Here's the first teaser trailer which seems to imply that the killers from the original are still on the loose, not sure what "true events" this is inspired by since the director of the first film got the idea from people who wandered around in his neighborhood late at night, knocking on doors to see who was home or not.

Thoughts on The Strangers: Prey at Night? Accidentally kill me with a shotgun if old.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read the script years ago and have been waiting ever since. Finally coming and I'm happy.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Strangers was that Liv Tyler joint right? Came out around the same time as a few other home invasion movies so I get them crossed sometimes.

Looks decent. Might check it out.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

New trailer, I like that scene the of the beat where the killer is just sitting next to the victim, I reminded me of hearing people holding thier breath in the cinema druing the original when you had that scene of one of the killers just standing there in the background.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Never actually saw the original because I always thought it was a remake of Ils but apparently it isn't?

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
The Strangers was the last horror movie I ever saw. It was freaky enough with so many jump scares that I swore them off entirely. Lol

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
The Strangers was the last horror movie I ever saw. It was freaky enough with so many jump scares that I swore them off entirely. Lol
You're missing out on some seriously high quality movies!

Making the movie less contained and more action oriented is an interesting take
I'm holding off from the new trailer since the movie isn't too far off from release but it did look like it would have some more thrills from the teaser alone. I know some people complained The Strangers has a lack of big moments and set pieces, leading to just jump scares that didn't lead to much. I guess they wanted to make sure no one was left unfulfilled with this one, guess we'll have to see how that goes. I was really intrigued by that shot in the teaser which sees one of the masked people chasing a victim down in a pool, that looks terrifying and incredibly tense. Really excited for this one.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Not my last, but definitely the last impressionable for me as well. The original was the right amount of WTF for me, so I hope this lives up to it.
I've been avoiding every other trailer for the life of me, they're pushing it pretty hard so it's been almost unavoidable. Had a trailer before every single movie I've seen since January, lots of YouTube pre-ads, only 3 more days though! Always sucks when I briefly catch one cool thing in a trailer and it kills all tension for when the scene actually happens in the movie

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
i really liked this movie. some of the visuals in the last 15 minutes are worth the price of admission alone. it really finishes strong. it probably easily could have been improved (stronger characters, especially) but i dug it. it's a swift 80 minutes and the perfect movie to couple with a moviepass.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
i really liked this movie. some of the visuals in the last 15 minutes are worth the price of admission alone. it really finishes strong. it probably easily could have been improved (stronger characters, especially) but i dug it. it's a swift 80 minutes and the perfect movie to couple with a moviepass.
I was a bit bummed to see the runtime, I'll be going on Sunday. I'm a massive fan of the original and supposedly this one does some things to upset fans according to my friend who saw it.

My friend met the actor who played the original male Stranger in the first movie and befriended him a few years ago and at that time, the movie was something else entirely. The script was rewritten, whole cast thrown out, etc etc. He gave my friend the original script a while back, I skimmed the first few pages of the original script for this movie and from the sounds of it it's already pretty different.

I still look forward to seeing this, I'm a sucker for good visuals and some cheap thrills.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My main letdown with the first one was that there was no explanation or motivation for the killers.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
I was a bit bummed to see the runtime, I'll be going on Sunday. I'm a massive fan of the original and supposedly this one does some things to upset fans according to my friend who saw it.

My friend met the actor who played the original male Stranger in the first movie and befriended him a few years ago and at that time, the movie was something else entirely. The script was rewritten, whole cast thrown out, etc etc. He gave my friend the original script a while back, I skimmed the first few pages of the original script for this movie and from the sounds of it it's already pretty different.

I still look forward to seeing this, I'm a sucker for good visuals and some cheap thrills.

wow, that's pretty crazy about the cast. sorry to hear about all that. let me know what you think about the movie vs. the script you have when you get around to finishing both. i'm curious whether the script was just so heinous that it required trashing, or if there were some other politics happening behind the scenes.

curious what things your friend is referring to. the original is so sparse, and i'm curious what the sacred elements of a strangers movie, as posited by fans, would be. and i ask this curiously, not sarcastically. i liked both movies quite a lot.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
My main letdown with the first one was that there was no explanation or motivation for the killers.
The mystery of it was the scariest part. They're just fucking evil, once you know, you lose part of the fear factor. That's why The Blair Witch Project is so scary for me, the thought of it scares me. I don't want to see it because my imagination will likely conjure up something more sinister.

wow, that's pretty crazy about the cast. sorry to hear about all that. let me know what you think about the movie vs. the script you have when you get around to finishing both. i'm curious whether the script was just so heinous that it required trashing, or if there were some other politics happening behind the scenes.

curious what things your friend is referring to. the original is so sparse, and i'm curious what the sacred elements of a strangers movie, as posited by fans, would be. and i ask this curiously, not sarcastically. i liked both movies quite a lot.
For me, as noted above, keeping The Strangers as mysterious as possible (while maybe revealing a few things to progress their arc) is important. Also, victims you care about. I cared about the couple in the first because of their tumultuous relationship and the fact that they were pretty desperate to survive, I've heard the family in this movie is pretty stupid and doesn't want to do much to keep themselves alive.

I'm going to rewatch the first this weekend and see the sequel on Sunday, I'll come back and let ya know what I think when I see it!

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
The mystery of it was the scariest part. They're just fucking evil, once you know, you lose part of the fear factor. That's why The Blair Witch Project is so scary for me, the thought of it scares me. I don't want to see it because my imagination will likely conjure up something more sinister.

For me, as noted above, keeping The Strangers as mysterious as possible (while maybe revealing a few things to progress their arc) is important. Also, victims you care about. I cared about the couple in the first because of their tumultuous relationship and the fact that they were pretty desperate to survive, I've heard the family in this movie is pretty stupid and doesn't want to do much to keep themselves alive.

I'm going to rewatch the first this weekend and see the sequel on Sunday, I'll come back and let ya know what I think when I see it!

i didn't dislike the family or find much of what they did unbelievable. generally, though, i think the notion that we should expect people in insane situations to behave rationally or to act like master tacticians is a bit overblown. several of the reviews i glanced over have that criticism, and i just don't see it. most people have never been in a situation where they're being pursued by a staid, taciturn lunatic in a burlap sack mask.

agree about the mystery part. i'll let you decide what you think about that when you see the sequel, but i thought the elements were well balanced.

i am kind of peeved that the original cast, particularly the strangers, were cut.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I went to see the first Strangers movie and enjoyed it. The concept really intrigues me, and I'm a sucker for decent to good horror. Hopefully this one will turn out well

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smh that's one of the best parts about the movie
Why is that the best part of the movie? There's plenty to like about the original Strangers, but "They were just doing it cause they felt like it" seemed like some kind of anti-twist that didn't do much other than undermine expectations.

Well it's not as if the Strangers are some kind of unknowable, unimaginable cosmic horror where your mind fills in the most terrifying parts. The original film makes it clear that they're just some sociopaths joyriding and murdering random people. To me that just feels a little lazy and dull -- I kinda wanted them to have some kind of interesting motivation or back story. There's so little to go on here, given that the killers never speak or even interact with each other. Extensive exposition is not necessary, but to have the villains just be total non-characters is weird.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
Why is that the best part of the movie? There's plenty to like about the original Strangers, but "They were just doing it cause they felt like it" seemed like some kind of anti-twist that didn't do much other than undermine expectations.

Well it's not as if the Strangers are some kind of unknowable, unimaginable cosmic horror where your mind fills in the most terrifying parts. The original film makes it clear that they're just some sociopaths joyriding and murdering random people. To me that just feels a little lazy and dull -- I kinda wanted them to have some kind of interesting motivation or back story. There's so little to go on here, given that the killers never speak or even interact with each other. Extensive exposition is not necessary, but to have the villains just be total non-characters is weird.

have you seen Funny Games?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have you seen Funny Games?
I think I've seen both versions of it, actually. The villains in Funny Games are incredibly engaging and enigmatic. They have a presence, and what one might call psychopathic charisma. Their motivations are just bland sadism, but they are very much characters in the film.

I pretty specifically remember the more negative reviews of The Strangers pointing people to Funny Games as a better example of a home invasion thriller. That's how I came to see Funny Games in the first place, interestingly enough.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa

That's understandable, I just think you also risk giving them an uninteresting story other than they're just lunatics, something like they're siblings who had their family murdered right in front of them when they were younger and were traumatized by that. To me, that lessens how scary they are. It makes them human in a sense and when I see masked villains, the humanity is stripped out of them. Who lies behind the mask? What are their intentions? What are their emotions during this? Are they just as scared? Just that blank expression of a mask is scarier than knowing too many details for me. It doesn't work for everyone though, I get that!
i didn't dislike the family or find much of what they did unbelievable. generally, though, i think the notion that we should expect people in insane situations to behave rationally or to act like master tacticians is a bit overblown. several of the reviews i glanced over have that criticism, and i just don't see it. most people have never been in a situation where they're being pursued by a staid, taciturn lunatic in a burlap sack mask.

agree about the mystery part. i'll let you decide what you think about that when you see the sequel, but i thought the elements were well balanced.

i am kind of peeved that the original cast, particularly the strangers, were cut.
Collider's video review noted that yeah it's a trope that we're used to but it's like extreme stupidity here. Sometimes I don't always agree with those observations, I'd do some stupid shit too if I was in a situation like that. I can't even do smart stuff in perfectly normal scenarios!

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
I think I've seen both versions of it, actually. The villains in Funny Games are incredibly engaging and enigmatic. They have a presence, and what one might call psychopathic charisma. Their motivations are just bland sadism, but they are very much characters in the film.

I pretty specifically remember the more negative reviews of The Strangers pointing people to Funny Games as a better example of a home invasion thriller. That's how I came to see Funny Games in the first place, interestingly enough.

ah, great. i wanted to be sure you'd seen it. it is a better movie, i agree with this. just thought the idea at the center of Strangers, ie, wanton youth doing it for no reason, and the terror of a lack of motive, might be better represented for you in FG. glad you liked it!

(i like the american version better)

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's understandable, I just think you also risk giving them an uninteresting story other than they're just lunatics, something like they're siblings who had their family murdered right in front of them when they were younger and were traumatized by that. To me, that lessens how scary they are. It makes them human in a sense and when I see masked villains, the humanity is stripped out of them. Who lies behind the mask? What are their intentions? What are their emotions during this? Are they just as scared? Just that blank expression of a mask is scarier than knowing too many details for me. It doesn't work for everyone though, I get that!
The Stranger did such a deep dive into the victim's lives that it gave me the expectation that the killers must have some kind of relationship to them (otherwise why are we learning so much about their lives?). I'd be curious if this is an intentional deception that the filmmakers were aware of, or if it's just something I experienced.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
i think they did that specifically as a red herring, and simply to make us sympathize with the victims more. which, worked on me at least.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah, great. i wanted to be sure you'd seen it. it is a better movie, i agree with this. just thought the idea at the center of Strangers, ie, wanton youth doing it for no reason, and the terror of a lack of motive, might be better represented for you in FG. glad you liked it!
What I remember is that the reviewer disliked The Strangers and said people should watch Funny Games instead. So then I watched Funny Games. The funny thing is that then I looked up that same critic's review of Funny Games and it turns out he rather hated it too.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This apparently got a "C" Cineamascore, which is surprising. You'd think the people who show up on opening day would be relatively jazzed for another slasher film, and not really too picky.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it last night, tried to go to a 9:50 showing locally but that was sold out, so went to another theater for a 10:40 showing that was also nearly sold out. Not bad, definitely a decent sequel and certainly the kind of movie to see in theater (people freaking out at parts and I'm just chilling in my chair since I'm so used to horror movies).

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is on Netflix now

I just watched it and was surprised by it. It's not an amazing movie by any means, but for a sequel to a movie like The Strangers it's actually pretty decent.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
This is on Netflix now

I just watched it and was surprised by it. It's not an amazing movie by any means, but for a sequel to a movie like The Strangers it's actually pretty decent.

the style of the movie is just fabulous at times. i think the director has been hired to make the new netflix resident evil series.