Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
(picture of Japanese kids laughing at the original XBox)

But for reals, who cares if the PS5 is double the size of PS4? Wouldn't noise levels be more important? And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a bigger sized console means more space for better ventilation = lesser noise?

I'm not saying go crazy and make it the size of a PC case but whoever is making a next gen console focus on durability and noise and let size be the least important aspect of the three. Thank you.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Size, durability and design all matter.

Imagine if someone broke into my house and I have a gamecube with that handle and durable cube structure. Instant knock out.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One X's size is some wizardry though, and I hope to see something similar to that next gen.

PS4 Pro proves you can have a large console and still have it sound like an airplane.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
(picture of Japanese kids laughing at the original XBox)

But for reals, who cares if the PS5 is double the size of PS4? Wouldn't noise levels be more important? And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a bigger sized console means more space for better ventilation = lesser noise?

I'm not saying go crazy and make it the size of a PC case but whoever is making a next gen console focus on durability and noise and let size be the least important aspect of the three. Thank you.

You are right, noise (or silence) is the most important factor of a console purchase for me. I don't want to hear it, ever.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox one ( 2013 ) looked like a fucking VCR though. So unsexy x.x

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Agreed. I think the compromise between size and noise that MS took with the Xbox One was good.

Although making it too big will probably increase the cost/consumer price as logistics and stock keeping becomes more of an issue.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
If the next Playsation is as loud as the PS4 Pro then they have failed in my opinion. Make the console the right size to keep it as quiet as possible.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
The X should be the standard for next gen design. Whisper quiet and small but solid.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Size itself is pretty irrelevant, it's the internal design that matters when it comes to airflow and heat management.

That said, I loved how compact the Wii was, and that was pretty quiet too.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I want tiny, like the ultra small PS2. I want silent. I want brushed aluminium.

But I don't want to pay the $800 they'd charge for that thing.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed.
Make it good before you make it thin or shit like that.

Looking at you Apple. Jesus, all that nonsense just for a mm thinner. We keep on losing for that one ego to be happy.

As for console. Don't go smaller than a WiiU, for god's sake. In fact, make it PS4 PRO size and see how much power you can fit in there.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the issue with power bricks? They're always behind my TV unit so I can't see them.

Don't care about console size, or, to be honest, what it looks like. It's tucked on a shelf in my TV unit, I can only see the front. As long as that's not egregiously ugly then the rest of it can be massive and hideous for all I care.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Being physically smaller has a certain aesthetic appeal and you really cannot underestimate how much aesthetic plays into purchases. Also, some people have limited shelf space.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
Idk, seeing consoles that are tiny as fuck are cool. The GBA micro, and the PS2 slim especially, these consoles blow my mind because they can do the same thing as that old console I had, but now it's way smaller (particularly for the PS2 slim as well, it is so small compared to the original). The Switch is also very portable but can run Doom, Wolfenstein 2, and Rocket League, which is just amazing.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its certainly not the first second or fifth thing I care about when deciding on a console, but smaller is always better.

That's not what she said though.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's just practicality for typical "under the tv" use. i don't want a console that's as big as an AV receiver. it might be the most silent, most well ventilated console in existence, it would be too big and reduces you to owning only a single machine because you literally can't plug anything else in.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
The size of a console has never really bothered me, I had an OG Xbox and still have the original Xbone but I probably wouldn't want much larger than that. I thought the Xbone vs. PS4 was a little strange since the PS4 was more powerful and had the internal PSU. Some people say the PS4 is like hairdryer after some time but I have never experienced that from my launch OG model or Pro (I have heard the fans whir up on some pause menus with uncapped framerates, mind, but never bothered me during gameplay).

For what it is worth I'd rather a larger console with an internal PSU vs a smaller console with an external power brick.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
The only console design that ever bothered me enough to impact enjoyment of the games was the Wii U.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Well, smaller is always better but don't think about the size for a min

What matters is how you package it

Take the PS4 vs the original Xbox One

More powerful, smaller and built it power supply vs less power, bigger and external power supply because they are too afraid of another RROD

Did I mention that the PS4 is also cheaper?

See. I didn't mind the PS3 phat being, well phatter than the Xbox 360 because it made sense with built in wifi and power supply internal.

Again it's how you package it.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah the PS4 pro is super loud. I started playing with Headphones because of it and because I do not want to annoy my SO and neighbors.
If a good and reasonable streaming service for games comes around in the next few years I might even consider it just because of the noise level.
Sadly the Internet speed where I live is subpar so I will have to go with local gaming for now.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But for reals, who cares if the PS5 is double the size of PS4? Wouldn't noise levels be more important?

Bigger console would mean more power, wich would also mean more noise.

Yes, the console size is important for a myriad of reasons. Those who don't care about console size usually get a PC

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, thankfully I have one of the few Pro's that is actually almost silent. I had my share of loudness with the 360, don't need that anymore. The X is great, although the original One is more silent. The One S was a step back, it's the loudest of the bunch.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Many people have limited space in their furniture. If your console is huge, maybe some people cannot fit it easily. It's the same thing with compact PCs.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh...I have limited space in my entertainment center. Size absolutely matters.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about design, I care about performance but they have to keep it small so it can be easily carried unless both go for Nintendo hybrid solution next gen.

But they need the design to be good so it can sell because people do I guess? I just don't want them to sacrifice performance for design.