ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
https://news.avclub.com/the-simpsons-might-be-dropping-apu-altogether-to-avoid-1830027109

Despite Simpsons creator Matt Groening saying that those upset about the show's stereotypical depiction of Indian convenience store owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon "love to pretend to be offended," it appears the long-running animated might be axing the character. This news comes from producer and filmmaker Adi Shankar who, in his efforts to launch a spec script contest that would solve the "Apu Problem," has learned from two Simpsons staffers and an employee of Groening that the character is on his way out.

In an interview with Indiewire, Shankar says the character won't be given a proper farewell, but will rather be shuffled out quietly. "I got some disheartening news back, that I've verified from multiple sources now: They're going to drop the Apu character altogether," he said. "They aren't going to make a big deal out of it, or anything like that, but they'll drop him altogether just to avoid the controversy."

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Shame, they didn't fully need to drop him, just update him and have an actual indian play him.

Can't wait for my youtube front page be filled with videos from assholes angry that they did this. Oh boy.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame, they didn't fully need to drop him, just update him and have an actual indian play him.

Can't wait for my youtube front page be filled with videos from assholes angry that they did this. Oh boy.
This is my first thought. A little tone deaf and stupid to cancel the character. Just respectfully upgrade him lol.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. While it's disappointing that they're doing this instead of just changing the voice actor, I also feel that this is better than keeping the character around as is. Bad representation is worse than no representation.

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised. This is the easiest solution, just stop using the character and act like he was never there. Not saying it's the right thing, but it's definitely easier and cheaper than hiring a new voice actor, recreating a character that's been on screen for decades, and finding a way to do it that makes sense. I think it could be for the best, too. This allows them to create an entirely new character, whether or not they do it... who knows? Again, it'll be easiest for them to just pretend he was never there.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of the laziest way to do it. "We're not talented enough to deal with the subject directly, and we're not willing to work with the community he's a caricatures of, so let's just pretend he never existed so no one complains."

Spoiler: People will complain anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they needed to completely get rid of a minority character instead of gradually updating him and giving the role to an Indian actor, but ok...

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I always liked Apu. I understand people's frustration with the character, but he always seemed like one of the more decent characters in the show outside of some unsavory business with the hotdogs he sells.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. While it's disappointing that they're doing this instead of just changing the voice actor, I also feel that this is better than keeping the character around as is. Bad representation is worse than no representation.

There was a ton of salvageable traits about the Apu character, the main problem was the accent, the person who played him and why said person chose said accent, shelving Apu instead of just updating the character to not be offensive is kind of a cop out.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he definitely didn't need to be dropped, just updated for modern times. But ehhh.... haven't seen the Simpsons in years so I can't say it really matters to me one way or another.

Sunny

Oct 25, 2017
first under-reaction now an over-reaction. can't wait for all the face-tube knee jerk reactions tho.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer they update him instead of just removing the character.
Same. Just have an actual Indian play him and update the character. I enjoyed Apu, and there were some truly GREAT episodes focusing on him and his family. Truly some touching moments and he was generally the smartest guy in the room.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the Simpsons in a long time... but I've always liked Apu.

Even if people did imitate him when talking to me when I was a kid.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect them just to stop using him since he was a pretty good character, even with the flaws. They could have always updated him.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I loved Apu, but can't help but feel they mishandled this step by step. Ideally I would have liked him to just remain a background character.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I dunno. You don't see the Scots up in arms about Groundskeeper Willie or the Germans about Uter... though if people are actually getting mocked with shitty Apu accents I can understand their frustration, I still think it's a bit much.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess the writers and producers aren't smart enough to know how to deal with the situation. Fine then. Take the lazy way out.

I worry about Hari Kondabolu getting (more racist) shit on social media now...but all that's going to do is prove his point more.

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. The poor representation aside, he was one of the more dimensional, intelligent characters on the show. The solution should always be "let's do better" not "ah fuck it". Now we have one less PoC on the most popular animated sitcom in the world. Great.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
This is dumb. No one is asking them to wipe him off the face of the planet.

Just drop the stupid stereotypes and exaggerated accent.

Oct 26, 2017
What does everyone think about them adding a new Indian character (if they do). I'd prefer that over Apu being updated. Just seems cleaner to me, but it seems a lot of people want the character updated

Oct 25, 2017
With the temper tantrums they were throwing, surprise Jean and Groening are just going to quietly shelve him than do something stupider.