• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
No, Apu is not Indian, he's brown going by your logic. Because if you're going to say German, France, etc are all the same god damn thing - just white - then you also have some serious issues.

Alt Right? Come on. Considering past posts from you, I am starting to believe you are a parody account.

As for the bolded part... removed, fired and a written apology? Wow. That was a good chuckle and not to mention, absurd.

Cmon, you must understand that melanin deprived people making fun of a Indian character in the context of a melanin deprived country isn't ok?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
They should just write him and his family off the show. Don't think they can be salvaged at this point.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any examples of Scottish actors being turned down for roles becuase they didn't sound enough like Willie? Or German actors not getting parts because they weren't enough like Uther?

Because if any of you actually watched the damn documentary, you'd know part of the reason why this is a conversation in the first place is because south Asian actors describe that casting directors have literally turned them down for roles for not sounding enough like Apu.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stop,, just, stop. White people making fun of each other is not racist. it's called privilege. German, America, etc are all fucking White. Apu is not white, Apu is Indian.You are justifying being racist towards Indians. Apu is a disgusting racist caricature and Simpsons is pretty much alt-right these days anyways.

I want him removed, I want the VA fired, and I want a fucking written apology and more PoCs that aren't just stereotypes.

-snort- People can't tone online. They assume I'm just a joke and dismiss me. I fully admit I had problematic views once. People can change and I did. All it took was genuine convincing arguments. It wasn't as though it was instant either but, it happened gradually. People assume I'm a troll or a joke but, I've always said I get passionate and often too excited at times. If people want me to tone it down then I will.

Please tone it down. You don't help discorse, and your comments go off from a reasonable place into nonsenseland.

"I want him removed, I want the VA fired, and I want a fucking written apology and more PoCs that aren't just stereotypes."

So, you want less representation overall because Apu is imperfect, and you want the white actor fired because he voices a non-yellow character? Every recurring character in The Simpsons is voiced by a white person. Hell, Bart is voiced by an white female adult!

The character is offensively outdated. It's okay to admit that even if they are likeable to you.

But hey, it isn't hurting their bottom line in their opinion so they can go off. And I'll continue to talk shit about it.

Yeah, Apu is outdated -- but the answer is to have The Simpsons flesh out his character more, and bring more life into it -- rather than remove one of the earliest Indian representational characters on American television just because it's not 100% perfect.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How do we expect media representation for minorities to get better if we can't criticize it?

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Apu is not a perfect representation, that's true -- but what do people want? The removal of Apu? That just removes a PoC character, lessening representation.

People here are making statements as is Apu is some horrid racist caricature, and that's histrionic. I learned some things about Indian culture as a child from Apu, moreso than other sources on TV. Did I learn a lot? No -- but I was introduced to concepts I would not otherwise have been, relating to Hunduism and Indian culture.

We're talking about a show that has obviously ridiculous ethnic sterotypes way worse than Apu in how close they hew to the general negative stereotypes in question -- like Willie for example.

I understand wanting better representation where there are examples of imperfect representation, but this feels like an example of going too far -- because if there was no Apu in The Simpsons, there would have been no PoC replacement. So instead of getting a flawed representation that generally attempts to be kind (unlike 'representations' you'd see in shows like South Park), you'd get no representation at all.

have you seen the doc they are responding to?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why they used Lisa for this segment lol. She's supposed to be the most liberal of the bunch smh

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I randomly caught this episode last night even though I haven't watched a new episode of the Simpsons in years (it's not my favorite show) but my favorite part was their metaphor boiling down to "we're basically rudyard kipling" like, that isn't a great place to be at.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Raj is anything but positive.

thatsthejoke.jpg

How do we expect media representation for minorities to get better if we can't criticize it?

Criticism is good, jumping directly to histrionic assaults on an imperfect representation is bad. If every imperfect representation (of any level of imperfect) were removed from popular culture, then there would be less total good representation overall.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
The Simpsons has done great things with Apu. That doesn't change the fact that he perpetuates harmful stereotypes about South Asian people. This response was supremely tone deaf.

Also, LMAO at people being offended at "melanin deprived". Y'all are some fragile-ass motherfuckers.

Nov 18, 2017
In Homer the Heretic, Homer is being a moron at a shop display of a Hindu God in Apu's store and Apu says "please do not offer my God a peanut".

The joke there is entirely at Homer's expense - you're meant to laugh at him for being ignorant and disrespectful to Apu and his culture/religious beliefs.

If The Big Bang Theory made that joke, it would be at Raj's expense.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see the problem with Apu. Kids being made fun of with "Thank you come again"?

Yeah I was one of those kids. Kids will find anything to make fun of you for. Being fat, looking poor, having acne, being awkward.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have a comment on their comment, but it's pretty fucking stupid they used Lisa to deliver it. I could have seen them turn this in to a far more subtle meta joke that could have actually been funny and addressed it if they would have used another character like Homer or Bart, and wrote the joke well.

But I guess I'm just asking too much from the Simpsons' staff these days.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Criticism is good, jumping directly to histrionic assaults on an imperfect representation is bad. If every imperfect representation (of any level of imperfect) were removed from popular culture, then there would be less total good representation overall.
Seems like there's a lot of assumptions that most people here are calling for Apu's removal when it seems like it's only one person. Instead, most people mentioning removal seem to be acting annoyingly defeatist in the face of criticism that seems to be a typical hallmark of diversity discussions. "What do you want them to do?! Remove Apu?!!!"

Like, slow down and read what most people are saying.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The Simpsons has done great things with Apu. That doesn't change the fact that he perpetuates harmful stereotypes about South Asian people. This response was supremely tone deaf.

Also, LMAO at people being offended at "melanin deprived". Y'all are some fragile-ass motherfuckers.
I don't think anyone was actually "offended" by that. more so that its just insulting and aggressive in a way that doesn't bring anything to the table other than to get white people to stop listening... which is the oppositeof what should be happening.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I don't think anyone was actually "offended" by that. more so that its just insulting and aggressive in a way that doesn't bring anything to the table other than to get white people to stop listening... which is the oppositeof what should be happening.

If white people can't take a joke as gentle as "melanin deprived", they never wanted to listen in the first place.

Rackham Sorry, it's called "The Problem with Apu". It should be on Youtube.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
"melanin deprived" is a funny way to make a veiled insult towards white people lol it makes me really laugh.

I agree on Apu being problematic but i don't agree that some of you people put it above something like Willie that is also very problematic towards Scottish with him being red haired with bad posture, that likes to pick a fight even with wild animals, that prefers being ignorant and at a lower level of society because "that's just how he is", and all that jazz.
It's great that people are being more vocal about Apu and this stuff in general but you have to include all the bad and not only what is convenient to you otherwise you are not much better than who you are criticizing.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the next best representation of Indian (American Indian) be Master of None with Aziz Ansari? Haven't watched it so I don't know. I don't watch Big Bang Theory either.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like there's a lot of assumptions that most people here are calling for Apu's removal when it seems like it's only one person. Instead, most people mentioning removal seem to be acting annoyingly defeatist in the face of criticism that seems to be a typical hallmark of diversity discussions. "What do you want them to do?! Remove Apu?!!!"

Like, slow down and read what most people are saying.

More than one poster has been saying that Apu should be removed, or that The Simponsons should be canceled because of Apu.

Let's be clear: The Simpsons should be canceled because it is no longer funny.

I read the entire thread. More people have called for his removal than have actually suggested other alternatives, such as, I don't know, making the character a better representation.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Stop,, just, stop. White people making fun of each other is not racist. it's called privilege. German, America, etc are all fucking White. Apu is not white, Apu is Indian.You are justifying being racist towards Indians. Apu is a disgusting racist caricature and Simpsons is pretty much alt-right these days anyways.

I want him removed, I want the VA fired, and I want a fucking written apology and more PoCs that aren't just stereotypes.

You're being absurd. Claiming Apu is "one of the most racist things on TV" and saying the Simpsons is now alt-right? Do you even watch the show? It sounds like hyperbolic nonsense. They also make fun of Chinese, Japanese, and all different cultures. Indian culture too. To say you can ONLY make fun of white-based culture is silly. He's still a character enjoyed and loved by many and aside from some cultural stereotypes he's a pretty wholesome character. You're acting like he's a cow fucking perv who is always eating curry or something outrageous. The VA has been the same for 30 years and you now want him fired and removed? You know he voices like 1/3 of all characters on the show? Obviously you don't. There's like 5 actors across like 40 characters. It's the same in South Park.

If you think the character needs updating or refreshing. Cool. That's something worth debating and discussing but you're taking it to an extreme.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys want done then?

Should they kill off Apu since he's outdated?

Should they completely reinvent his character?

Should they give him a voice actor that's from Apu's actual ethnic background?

I always thought the show dials up stereotypes to 100. Everyone from Comic Book Guy, professor Frink, Willie, Snake etc, are all obviously over the top in characterisation.

But if people now genuinely have an issue with how Apu is handled then I don't think it's wrong to want something done about it.

Wouldn't Homer be an offensive representation of an anglo-descendant american?

The problem with Apu is that he's the only Indian in the show, right? He's a token character that represents an entire culture and ethnicity and can never display the same broad spectrum as the white characters in the show. Homer is just one dumb guy, but there is also Lisa Simpson who is smart. Marge a doting mother. Moe who gets easily pranked. Even the black people have different representation with the doctor and the other nuclear plant worker.

Oct 31, 2017
Wow Hari must have really touched a nerve with that documentary.

Hari hit a huge nerve with his documentary. The gull of an Indian guy to examine America's single pop culture representation of Indian people for so long.

This Apu thing is the most the Simpsons has been defended in the last 20 years, too. People been talking the most shit about the show needing to end so long ago but only defend this Apu thing because how dare this brown man have a voice and start a nuanced conversation about something that directly affected his life growing up.

Honest to god, I don't know anyone who found Apu offensive.

This seems like one of those whitesplaining moments.

This is one of those moments where you whiteslpain to us how Hari somehow whitesplaining that Apu voice is racist

I guess sometimes people need to be told when something is offensive to them.

Or the Indian guy made a documentary about a subject he's invested in and you have to have your head up your ass to be mad at him for discussing Indian representation as an Indian man

Is this the part where a bunch of white dudes tell an Indian man that his feelings on Indian representation aren't valid?

We're always at the part where a bunch of white dudes tell PoC how to feel and real with shit they have the privilege not to

Apu being the same as Comic Book guy is how we get GGs style "nerds are an opressed minority"

If someone made that thread "nerds as oppressed minority", the response would be amazingly tone deaf, I bet

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah uh... this looks like a self-deprecating acknowledgement of the Apu issue.

Oh but of course this is "hitting back" if you read the thread title...

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with Apu is that he's the only Indian in the show, right? He's a token character that represents an entire culture and ethnicity and can never display the same broad spectrum as the white characters in the show. Homer is just one dumb guy, but there is also Lisa Simpson who is smart. Marge a doting mother. Moe who gets easily pranked. Even the black people have different representation with the doctor and the other nuclear plant worker.

Apu is not the only Indian character on the Simpsons.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to lie, from the very first moment I saw Apu (as someone from the UK) I thought it was racist as fuck. I mean it's a 100% stereotypical portrayal of an indian.

I don't know what they should do about it, recast the voice actor?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Apu can still be salvaged if voiced by an Indian and having character development beyond the status quo of being a corner shop clerk. A complex and interesting three dimensional character that doesn't espouse stereotypes is possible. Subvert the stereotypes. Just because the medium is 2D, doesn't mean the characters need to be. But I don't see the Simpsons showrunners being open to that with this knee-jerk response.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do some of Y'all really not get why Apu would have been seen as potential harmful to a lot of Indians or hell anyone who was brown in the 90s?

For a lot of America, that was the only exposure they had to someone of that color. You have stories of kids being bullied with being told Thank You Come Again constantly, being called Apu, and shit of that nature.

Maybe watch the doc done by the Indian man, who interviews a lot of people, Indian or otherwise, including Whoopi Goldberg and has her realize that for Indian people, Apu was like their minstrel show in some aspects.
I grew up in a diverse area. I encountered a lot of Indian people growing up during it, some were classmates, some their parents, some people working with my parents. And some were working at the local convenience store. It was as much a stereotype as the IT/Computer science thing is today. But Apu wasnt a walking negative stereotype, and he encapsulated a lot of parts of the immigrant experience-the "advanced degree overseas equals lower class job here" thing is something that really happens.

There's a disconnect living in a place like LA or NYC or DC where you can contextualize Apu better, and one like well, most of the rural US, where you cant. And I dont think that's fair to entirely pin on the show.
Apu can still be salvaged if voiced by an Indian and having character development beyond the status quo of being a corner shop clerk. A complex and interesting three dimensional character that doesn't espouse stereotypes is possible. Subvert the stereotypes. Just because the medium is 2D, doesn't mean the characters need to be. But I don't see the Simpsons showrunners being open to that with this knee-jerk response.
You have clearly never watched s1-10 of The Simpsons.