• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
the replies in this thread about apu being the same as comic book guy and uter are just silly. One is white people doing voices for other white people, and the other is a white man doing a racist ass indian impression. I'm sure people who dont see this as a problem also dont see laura bailey playing nadine, a black woman, as a problem either.

As a south asian dude , it is pretty offensive to me that in 2018 hank azaria is still doing this.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't Homer be an offensive representation of an anglo-descendant american?
Yes, but weirdly in the United States where the show is written and primarily aired anglo-descendent americans both control the vast majority of the entertainment culture and are not meaningfully systemically discriminated against by other classes, so the effect of an offensive representation has relatively little impact on the lives of them, unlike members of a more marginalized identity

There's a great documentary that actually goes into detail and provides a lot of information about what tangible effects spiral out from representation such as this, its called The Problem With Apu. I would encourage people to watch it

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Apu being the same as Comic Book guy is how we get GGs style "nerds are an opressed minority"

Using Lisa for this "response". Ugh.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simpsons's response is limp as heck. If you're not going to engage with the criticism but just try and brush it off, the move is to say nothing. This comes off as petty.

Oct 25, 2017
The gap between loving caricature and harmful stereotype shifts, narrows and broadens over time.

It is rarely something that the creators of a particular piece of work are directly in control over.

Likewise you may only become aware of this a long time after people's sentiments have shifted.

It may even be that for some what may otherwise be a loving caricature has long been a harmful stereotype.

I'd have hoped the creative team behind The Simpsons were aware of the subtleties around this, it is really disappointing to see them come out with such a hamfisted response.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
"But they stereotype Germans with lederhosen and sausages! And white middle class Americans!" is some "All Lives Matter!" type of response.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but im gonna look up online on what seasons they worked on and just stop watching the series then.

Really I would say just watch the first ten seasons or so. Although bad episodes start cropping up in the later ones, there are still a few gems up till there. Mayored to the Mob is rather good for instance.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Simpsons answer is "good".
I mean, if yyou start to them, go check South Park...
I don't like the answer of Lisa
but i find it clever.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the actual clip with Marge and Lisa is more damaging than Apu, it's horribly shot and the "break the fourth wall" is nasty, especially when the message is so vapid.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they know The Simpsons are too big and didn't bow down to a loud minority making a big fuzz about it. It definitely is a slippery slope.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, guess Simpsons is just edgelord Family Guy trash now. Even if you enjoy Apu (I always liked the subversion of expectations seeing him washing his bitchin' Trans Am shirtless and cruising for chicks), you can't defend brushing off legit criticism with "This isn't offensive, you're just too PC!"

I can't remember any of the early Simpsons episodes being anti-PC when it came to depictions of minorities; even the gay steel mill episode makes it clear that Homer is the one to be made fun of, not the gay people.

That's the key to how Simpson's got away with it per say, everyone was a characature, but the show was very very rarely mean spirited about any of sais characatures.They also subverted the expectations of Apu positively in many occasions.

The ending to the response is mind blowing though 'some things will be dealt with at a later date' 'if at all' *glares at camera*.

Like, what?

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are funny

People not even watching the short doc saying this is whitesplaining or some bullshit

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Really I would say just watch the first ten seasons or so. Although bad episodes start cropping up in the later ones, there are still a few gems up till there. Mayored to the Mob is rather good for instance.
Fair enough. Id intended to watch the show up til the season before ned's first wife dies so that sounds about when id stop

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I mean. Im not going to tell people that Apu isn't offensive, or that he didn't have a negative influence on people.

I just have trouble getting worked up about something that was created like 30 years ago, that doesn't conform with modern day sensibilities. Its a really weird by-product of the simpsons lasting as long as it has.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean. Im not going to tell people that Apu isn't offensive, or that he didn't have a negative influence on people.

I just have trouble getting worked up about something that was created like 30 years ago, that doesn't conform with modern day sensibilities. Its a really weird by-product of the simpsons lasting as long as it has.

Agreed. It's recently where you see a fuss about this sort of thing, but you rarely heard a thing back in the 90s (I personally don't believe Apu's centric moments or episodes came from a place of malice either).

People are allowed to be upset and it's so rare that any show would last long enough to see itself outdated.

Frankly if they retired Apu it would be both good form, a chance to make right with a new character, and help on news ideas in a show kinda starved for them. I'll also agree the response is, well, really off-colour for this show.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think my main issue with Apu is at some point the octuplets became a thing (season 11) and it seems to just play into stereotype "Indians have a lot of children" and aside from the initial episode about it, they never really contribute anything to the story except "oh look, Apu has a lot of children."

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Simpsons has been trash for a long ass time. Like I don't know how many threads we need to drill into the heads of some of you people.

Because here's how not a part of a marginalized group works.

You see some shit like Apu but you so melanin deprived you just ride with like huck huck yeah they sure do talk and act like this. I'll even impersonate her stereotypical voice.

But hey decades later when we try to evolve as a society people tell you why it's bad? Nope nooo it never bothered me, I never saw a problem.

Apu was/is an insult but nah disagree with me, quote me, get into your trash.

Yep keep staying melanin deprived and problematic when we're trying to fix shit.

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Give it time and the whole schtick between Itchy and Scratchy will be offensive.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What do you guys want done then?

Should they kill off Apu since he's outdated?

Should they completely reinvent his character?

Should they give him a voice actor that's from Apu's actual ethnic background?

I always thought the show dials up stereotypes to 100. Everyone from Comic Book Guy, professor Frink, Willie, Snake etc, are all obviously over the top in characterisation.

But if people now genuinely have an issue with how Apu is handled then I don't think it's wrong to want something done about it.
fat tony and the mob, mayor quimby, chief wiggum. yes, they're all stereo types turned up to 100.

Honestly simpsons shouldnt have even responded. Simpsons shouldnt be on the air anymore either, but thats another thing.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apu is not a perfect representation, that's true -- but what do people want? The removal of Apu? That just removes a PoC character, lessening representation.

People here are making statements as is Apu is some horrid racist caricature, and that's histrionic. I learned some things about Indian culture as a child from Apu, moreso than other sources on TV. Did I learn a lot? No -- but I was introduced to concepts I would not otherwise have been, relating to Hunduism and Indian culture.

We're talking about a show that has obviously ridiculous ethnic sterotypes way worse than Apu in how close they hew to the general negative stereotypes in question -- like Willie for example.

I understand wanting better representation where there are examples of imperfect representation, but this feels like an example of going too far -- because if there was no Apu in The Simpsons, there would have been no PoC replacement. So instead of getting a flawed representation that generally attempts to be kind (unlike 'representations' you'd see in shows like South Park), you'd get no representation at all.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simpsons has been trash for a long ass time. Like I don't know how many threads we need to drill into the heads of some of you people.

You see some shit like Apu but you so melanin deprived you just ride with like huck huck yeah they sure do talk and act like this. I'll even impersonate her stereotypical voice.

But hey decades later when we try to evolve as a society people tell you why it's bad? Nope nooo it never bothered me, I never saw a problem.

Yep keep staying melanin deprived and problematic when we're trying to fix shit.
Note to self: "melanin deprived" is a cool way to refer to white people. I'll have to appropriate that.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about being hyperbolic. The entire show is literally full of stereotypes. Why should one be specifically targeted?

Apu is actually one of the more wholesome ones. He's shown to be a very smart, a successful immigrant who owns a shop, and is a dedicated hard worker. Also one of the few(or only?) Hindu characters on prime time TV. The others are much more simplfied like the angry Scots, the redneck southerner, the outback, crocodile Dundee Australians, the fat, lederhosen wearing German, etc.

Stop,, just, stop. White people making fun of each other is not racist. it's called privilege. German, America, etc are all fucking White. Apu is not white, Apu is Indian.You are justifying being racist towards Indians. Apu is a disgusting racist caricature and Simpsons is pretty much alt-right these days anyways.

Apu is not a perfect representation, that's true -- but what do people want? The removal of Apu? That just removes a PoC character, lessening representation.

People here are making statements as is Apu is some horrid racist caricature, and that's histrionic. I learned some things about Indian culture as a child from Apu, moreso than other sources on TV. Did I learn a lot? No -- but I was introduced to concepts I would not otherwise have been, relating to Hunduism and Indian culture.

We're talking about a show that has obviously ridiculous ethnic sterotypes way worse than Apu in how close they hew to the general negative stereotypes in question -- like Willie for example.

I understand wanting better representation where there are examples of imperfect representation, but this feels like an example of going too far -- because if there was no Apu in The Simpsons, there would have been no PoC replacement. So instead of getting a flawed representation that generally attempts to be kind (unlike 'representations' you'd see in shows like South Park), you'd get no representation at all.

I want him removed, I want the VA fired, and I want a fucking written apology and more PoCs that aren't just stereotypes.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
The character is offensively outdated. It's okay to admit that even if they are likeable to you.

But hey, it isn't hurting their bottom line in their opinion so they can go off. And I'll continue to talk shit about it.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do some of Y'all really not get why Apu would have been seen as potential harmful to a lot of Indians or hell anyone who was brown in the 90s?

For a lot of America, that was the only exposure they had to someone of that color. You have stories of kids being bullied with being told Thank You Come Again constantly, being called Apu, and shit of that nature.

Maybe watch the doc done by the Indian man, who interviews a lot of people, Indian or otherwise, including Whoopi Goldberg and has her realize that for Indian people, Apu was like their minstrel show in some aspects.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, not aware of the book you're talking about (I just consider it a zombie show because all the talented people who used to work there left and it's coasting on past glory).

For me, simpsons just started getting bad in season 8 (grimes ep). I think making it zanier was the big problem (and I appreciate that some of the great episodes were very wacky). The show kind of lost the heart of the earlier episodes where the Simpsons seemed like a real family. I suspect mostly due to the earlier departure of Sam Simon and Brad Bird, the show seemed to balance things a lot better earlier on (with "Homer at the Bat" being a great example).
My bad. Zombie Simpsons was a term coined by this guy: https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

I don't agree with the book at all (obviously), but it's a good read if you're interested in the (demise of the) Simpsons.

Nov 18, 2017
The correct response from the writers should've been to introduce a more well-rounded recurring character, voiced by an indian actor rather than Hank Azaria.

Throwing around the term "Melanin-deprived" is hypocritical and not helpful.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Man that response is baffling.

Apu has a lot of great moments, but there's also a lot of things about him that aren't so great. We're supposed to look at characters like him and learn from them, see what the critiques are and use them to avoid the same issues in the future.

This almost comes across as a middle finger towards the very idea that the show could be flawed.

Clix

Banned
Stop,, just, stop. White people making fun of each other is not racist. it's called privilege. German, America, etc are all fucking White. Apu is not white, Apu is Indian.You are justifying being racist towards Indians. Apu is a disgusting racist caricature and Simpsons is pretty much alt-right these days anyways.

I want him removed, I want the VA fired, and I want a fucking written apology and more PoCs that aren't just stereotypes.

No, Apu is not Indian, he's brown going by your logic. Because if you're going to say German, France, etc are all the same god damn thing - just white - then you also have some serious issues.

Alt Right? Come on. Considering past posts from you, I am starting to believe you are a parody account.

As for the bolded part... removed, fired and a written apology? Wow. That was a good chuckle and not to mention, absurd.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me Apu is not making a mockery of Indians, for the most part he was one of the most centered characters in the show and the episodes around him where at times some of the best that the show could deliver, at no point I felt that he made Hindus look bad, unlike characters like Willie or Uther which really made being scottish or german look like a negative since that's their main trait

Now that being said, the show gave a terrible answer, they could have handled the criticism better to improve the show and not use Lisa Simpson of all characters to push their agenda

Nov 9, 2017
No, Apu is not Indian, he's brown going by your logic. Because if you're going to say German, France, etc are all the same god damn thing - just white - then you also have some serious issues.

Alt Right? Come on. Considering past posts from you, I am starting to believe you are a parody account.

As for the bolded part... removed, fired and a written apology? Wow. That was a good chuckle and not to mention, absurd.

100% agreed.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

-snort- People can't tone online. They assume I'm just a joke and dismiss me. I fully admit I had problematic views once. People can change and I did. All it took was genuine convincing arguments. It wasn't as though it was instant either but, it happened gradually. People assume I'm a troll or a joke but, I've always said I get passionate and often too excited at times. If people want me to tone it down then I will.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Apu is not perfect -- that is clear. But responses like this basically amount to attacking any representation at all that is imperfect. Removing all imperfect representations would lead to less representation overall.

If you were to run a study on culturally insensitive characters on television, Apu wouldn't crack the top 10. Hell, I'm not sure he would crack the top 10 for culturally insensitive animated characters.

The insensitive aspects of Apu's character are surface level (Yeah, he's an Indian convenience store clerk) -- but the show introduced concepts and culture to Americans they may not have otherwise been exposed to in popular culture. If people's only experience with Indian culture is through Apu, they would know vaguely about Hunduism, vegetarianism, and such -- but that vague knowledge is better than no knowledge. What other even vagely-positive representation of Indian culture can you find on TV? Raj from The Big Bang Theory?

If that's the next best offering, I'll stick with Apu.

fat tony and the mob, mayor quimby, chief wiggum. yes, they're all stereo types turned up to 100.

Honestly simpsons shouldnt have even responded. Simpsons shouldnt be on the air anymore either, but thats another thing.

Yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
Man that response is baffling.

Apu has a lot of great moments, but there's also a lot of things about him that aren't so great. We're supposed to look at characters like him and learn from them, see what the critiques are and use them to avoid the same issues in the future.

This almost comes across as a middle finger towards the very idea that the show could be flawed.

I don't think its a middle finger but more or less they acknowledge the problem but they are stuck with the question of "what do we do?".

Because Apu is a product of his time. What is being expected of them to do?

1) Remove/kill Apu?
2) Recast Apu with a new actor?

These are their only options. Granted, I haven't watched Simpsons in a long time and only bother to tune into the Treehouse of Horror episodes, but people are saying Simpsons had Indian characters voiced by actual Indians.

So honestly, their only response or way to address this criticism is not an easy fix. It's literally either remove Apu or recast him.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
the excuse is bad enough. having lisa make it....

like you needed more examples of how the show is a dried husk of what it once was