• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apu is not always a walking stereotype... sometimes he just blends in to a story that does not necessarily single out his indian origins and is just another Springfieldian

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as the work thing goes, they have no sympathy because any one of them would LOVE to get paid thousands of dollars to do an Apu accent, but they don't have the luxury of turning down jobs because they're offended by it.

...how can they be so blind as to not realize that the issue is that they (and their people) are not turning down these jobs because they are offended by it, but rather because they flat out are not being offered these kinds of jobs?

"Get over it" sounds like selfish sour grapes.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Heh well, if only everyone and anyone who got treated by racist individuals would just "get over it", huh. If they don't want to voice their concerns and don't want to fight back, their prerogative, but don't make light of anyone not willing to relent to systemic racism and who would fight its symptoms any chance they can get.

I don't know if you've ever been the victim of racism or not.. but sometimes, getting over it... is the best you can do. Sometimes, the best course of action, for yourself, and for your safety, is to learn to deal with racism by improving yourself, instead of trying to change a system that will ultimately fuck you. Because in thousands of years, everyone who fought it... has failed. And to use a fucking cartoon character... as a method to try and combat racism, is a pretty sad injustice to the real shit that goes on out there.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if you've ever been the victim of racism or not.. but sometimes, getting over it... is the best you can do. Sometimes, the best course of action, for yourself, and for your safety, is to learn to deal with racism by improving yourself, instead of trying to change a system that will ultimately fuck you. Because in thousands of years, everyone who fought it... has failed. And to use a fucking cartoon character... as a method to try and combat racism, is a pretty sad injustice to the real shit that goes on out there.

Cool. This is not one of those situations at fucking all. Nobody is risking their safety by pointing out how problematic Apu is. And the system you are describing, the one that "fucks us," is actually a system of advertising that very closely listens to feedback from the public because their livelihoods rely on it.

That you think "a fucking cartoon character" is sad, you should step back and look at how you are parading around your nameless, non-user family in this topic, as they're nothing more than a prop, an appeal to authority you can use because you yourself haven't even see the documentary you're commenting on.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the mexican representation in The Simpsons is awful. The only mexican character I can think of is Bumblebee man, and, granted I stopped watching the show decades ago, but unlike characters like Apu, he never became anything more than a throw away sight gag in the background.

But part of the reason why I don't spend time harping on the Simpsons for the terrible representation it has for mexicans or hispanics is because we have some great representation elsewhere. The zeigeist of what being hispanic is doesn't stem from the simpsons. People ITT who are clearly hardcore fans who have watched 20 seasons keep bringing up personality quirks about Apu that sound like pop culture quiz night replies, when the problem is all about how people who haven't seen the simpsons in 20 years still immediately think "Thank you, come again!" when they think of Indians in pop culture. They think of a character who boasts about how good being shot feels, because indians get shot a lot at convenience stores. Apu is still one of the most visible Indian icons. If, when people thought about Mexicans or Hispanics, they instantly went to bumblebee man, fuck yeah I'd have a problem.

Of course, this question is being asked insincerely, because the video in question directly addresses it. People keep just "asking questions' explicitly answered in the video they refuse to watch.

If you think my question was in bad faith i'm sorry because it wasn't my intention. I did think about writing "Is obvious that the answer can't be as easy as lol dumb indians just like getting offended and is obvious that the indian situation is different from that other ethnicities", and seeing some of the responses, i definitely should have wrote it down. I terribly dislike the idea that people get offended because they wanna be offended, getting offended is above all, a feeling and then later we rationalize it the best way we can, thats why i wrote "even before we start to discuss if the complains are valid or not", because is obvious that the feelings exist.

When it comes to mexicans and hispanics i think that yeah you are right, there is great representation elsewhere, but the issue goes much much deeper. Comparing Mexicans (And maybe latinos in general) to other minorities can't be done without first realizing that there exists a big difference, first because latinos have their own big channel networks in the US like Univision or Telemundo in their own language, there are many places in the southwestern US where people can live where they virtually don't need to speak a lick of english. The second thing is that Mexico is down the border, and there is a ridiculous amount of cultural exchange between Mexico and the US (specially in the media i mentioned), Mexican-americans get the same tv shows (soap operas), same movies, same soccer, same news, same trends, same awards, same food. So it becomes so easy for Mexicans there even if they are not being represented in the anglo media to not care, because they feel they have media of their own.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Oh, so now we're talking about whataboutism. How people should just don't care about "light racism" because "heavy racism" is out there. Victims of racism should just "improve themselves" instead of trying to change racism. Right, that's a dose of victim blaming too in there to complete the package, I suppose.

You don't care, fine. Your family don't care about it, their prerogative. But don't try to frame people unwilling to just bend over and receive it as doing "injustice", because in the end they're trying to make it better for your family too.

Oct 31, 2017
They are being dismissive of their issues, because they don't see it as an issue. Even after seeing parts of the documentary, they don't think Apu is a big deal. They dealt with the same kind of racist Apu jokes too, the same accent jokes, the same "Your Dad owns a Gas Station, can I have a Slurpee." jokes too. Their position is.. "We dealt with this shit too... get over it. We're not going to blame our problems on a cartoon character." As far as the work thing goes, they have no sympathy because any one of them would LOVE to get paid thousands of dollars to do an Apu accent, but they don't have the luxury of turning down jobs because they're offended by it.

That's fucked up they think racial taunting should be normalized and people should just get over it, honestly. That "we dealt with it too" shit doesn't make them any less shitty for believing dumb shit like that.

Their explicit approval of racial abuse flies in the face of every bit of progress made in this country by people who didn't uncritically accept whatever scraps they were offered; people with courage to challenge the way things are.

Why would any trained actor that wants to be taken seriously demean themselves with stereotypical bullshit when it simply doesn't have to be that way?

Here's a video of Denzel Washington talking about having some damn integrity and standards

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Cool. This is not one of those situations at fucking all. Nobody is risking their safety by pointing out how problematic Apu is. And the system you are describing, the one that "fucks us," is actually a system of advertising that very closely listens to feedback from the public because their livelihoods rely on it.

That you think "a fucking cartoon character" is sad, you should step back and look at how you are parading around your nameless, non-user family in this topic, as they're nothing more than a prop, an appeal to authority you can use because you yourself haven't even see the documentary you're commenting on.

Oh, so now we're talking about whataboutism. How people should just don't care about "light racism" because "heavy racism" is out there. Victims of racism should just "improve themselves" instead of trying to change racism. Right, that's a dose of victim blaming too in there to complete the package, I suppose.

You don't care, fine. Your family don't care about it, their prerogative. But don't try to frame people unwilling to just bend over and receive it as doing "injustice", because in the end they're trying to make it better for your family too.

I love this Forum. You guys go NUTS over the dumbest shit, especially a dissenting opinion. I saw the first few minutes of the Doc during this conversation, and my opinion remains the same. I think it's stupid, if you want to hate me for that opinion, go right ahead.

I mean what's their goal here? Do they want to change Apu to a Hindi voice actor? He's still going to say the same quotes, be the same character, have the same stereotypical traits. Do they want to bring awareness he's voiced by a white guy? Everyone know's that, nobody cares (well, they do, apparently). What's the point of this documentary other than to say "A cartoon character ruined my life and I feel bad."? Is that explained later in the film? It's too late for this.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this Forum. You guys go NUTS over the dumbest shit, especially a dissenting opinion.

I love replies like this. They are so dripping with hypocrisy and the poster never fucking notices it. You think you're above it all, but you're not.

I mean what's their goal here? Do they want to change Apu to a Hindi voice actor? He's still going to say the same quotes, be the same character, have the same stereotypical traits. Do they want to bring awareness he's voiced by a white guy? Everyone know's that, nobody cares (well, they do, apparently). What's the point of this documentary other than to say "A cartoon character ruined my life and I feel bad."? Is that explained later in the film? It's too late for this.

What's your goal here? To shut everyone up so that you can feel smugly superior?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I love this Forum. You guys go NUTS over the dumbest shit, especially a dissenting opinion. I saw the first few minutes of the Doc during this conversation, and my opinion remains the same. I think it's stupid, if you want to hate me for that opinion, go right ahead.

Oh now we're moving to "you're just too sensitive" part of the argument. I like how you're saying that kind of thing, while you are the one who is now being overdramatic over us trying to "hate you for your dissenting opinion."

Like I said, I don't care if you don't care or any one of your family don't care, but don't try to handwave how people are seeing just how stereotypically racist Apu and how the kind of perception that may arise from such a hugely popular fictional character in a hugely popular show can have an impact on the real brown people roaming the street.

Oct 31, 2017
Now you're just shit taking all over the place after admitting you have even watched the subject matter, you think your opinion is valid

Where did you get that Hari said Apu ruined his life? What is that straw man bullshit?

Like you refuse to hear his and many other's issue with the character and get on this stupid bully routine of acting like his issue is that he's just too sensitive. It's grade school shit

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
I personally don't think Apu is a bad character, sure he's a little stereotyped but I don't see any harm in it.

However, The Simpsons' response is pretty awful. And Lisa of all characters saying it? It just screams of ineptitude and cluelessness. It's kinda sad how much the show is a husk of its former self.

Also looking back at the thread, this was ages ago but,
Yep keep staying melanin deprived and problematic when we're trying to fix shit.

Lmao "melanin deprived", what are people on

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I personally don't think Apu is a bad character, sure he's a little stereotyped but I don't see any harm in it.

However, The Simpsons' response is pretty awful. And Lisa of all characters saying it? It just screams of ineptitude and cluelessness. It's kinda sad how much the show is a husk of its former self.

Also looking back at the thread, this was ages ago but,

Lmao "melanin deprived", what are people on
There's literally an entire documentary about how much of a problem his character is.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Their stance is that of an old man ranting about how he can't say certain words anymore.

Even ignoring their stance, it's such effortless writing, having the typically liberal 8 year old Lisa Simpson breaking character to rant about "PC culture", before looking directly at the camera.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Their stance is that of an old man ranting about how he can't say certain words anymore.

Even ignoring their stance, it's such effortless writing, having the typically liberal 8 year old Lisa Simpson breaking character to rant about "PC culture", before looking directly at the camera.

It is such a fuck you of them to use Lisa for this. I get that they have difficulty addressing this issue being stuck between two camps and all but this was just the absolute worst way to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I agree, and I imagine most of the audience can acknowledge that.

It's just, I think, the "weight" is different, you know? Like every form of careless display of caricature/stereotyping is bad, but the "weight" between a stereotyped white character and a stereotyped brown/black character is just different, you know? with the latter being I think so much more impactful because white people can just laugh it all knowing that in real life, they're winning too.

Oct 28, 2017
It's just, I think, the "weight" is different, you know? Like every form of careless display of caricature/stereotyping is bad, but the "weight" between a stereotyped white character and a stereotyped brown/black character is just different, you know? with the latter being I think so much more impactful because white people can just laugh it all knowing that in real life, they're winning too.

I look it at it in a different way. I'm very glad that we got see a brown person represented, not as 'Alex' or 'David', but rather 'Apu'. Best of all, he had an accent. We got to see a 'caricature' American family interact with an Indian family. Their relationship was innocent and endearing. It's an example of diverse casting. Yes, there are some elements of it which you could analyse in a critical essay if you're going through your "woke" phase, but ultimately he's a fun character with his own persona, not defined by stereotypes.

Everyone needs to give it a rest and find something worthwhile to be outraged by.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I look it at it in a different way. I'm very glad that we got see a brown person represented, not as 'Alex' or 'David', but rather 'Apu'. Best of all, he had an accent. We got to see a 'caricature' American family interact with an Indian family. Their relationship was innocent and endearing. It's an example of diverse casting. Yes, there are some elements of it which you could analyse in a critical essay if you're going through your "woke" phase, but ultimately he's a fun character with his own persona, not defined by stereotypes.

Everyone needs to give it a rest and find something worthwhile to be outraged by.
Excuse me?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember anyone considering it offensive at the time. The character was viewed as hilarious.

Yes, this was a thing people talked about back then, and yes, I can prove it.

Here are actual forum posts from 1991 talking about Apu being racist:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.tv.simpsons/At2Ag_cKPoQ/YK6PXXGVvP8J

question 2:
It bothers me that, given Matt groening's political views, he has a racist
character. Abu is given a stereotypical job for middle-easterners/people
of upper african/mediterrean descent, that of owning a convience store.
This wouldn't be so bad, except that there is a dearth of people of color
on the Simpsons, so when the one time someone is showcased, they are
given a stereotypical role, it becomes racist for me. Also, I believe
he's Pakistani (unless I'm getting confused with an equally problematic
episode of Seinfeld from thatr week), but he does not have a Pakistani
accent. He has what white americans tend to think of as a "Cute, middle-
eastern accent." Do other people have thoughts on this? It's particularly
annoying b/c the Simpsons tends to be the only show where I can let my
guard down and just revel in the clever, brillian, satisfying wepisodes
(like itchy-scratchy and marge).

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.tv.simpsons/PkxJurPxbyg/5SZV-KjJ9UkJ

I am Indian, and in general do not find the Simpsons show
racist wrt Apu. I have no problems with what he does or
his lifestyle. As many others have said, both me and my
Indian friends who watch this show get a kick out of seeing
an Indian comic character.

If at all something is to be considered racist in the depiction
of Apu, I can think of two possibilities:

1. His accent: Very few real Indians speak like that. Although
I do not find this accent offensive for a cartoon character to
have, Apu's accent is very similar to accents of Indians one sees
in movies with real people produced in the West, for example,
Passage to India. I once went to one of these traffic schools
taught in humor, and the instructor insisted on putting on this
accent every time he spoke to me, much to the amusement of the
others. It is in situations such as these, and not in cartoons,
that this accent may be found offensive.

2. A certain quote from last weeks show where Homer works for Apu:
Apu said something like "I never thought the day would come when
one of you would work for one of me". I'm not sure I have the
quote right, but for whatever reason, my immediate reaction was
that I didn't like it. And I think the reason was that it made
Apu seem racist - he was classifying people. If there are
other interpretations of Apu's comment, I'd like to hear them.

Sriram.

These are two of the oldest, but there are thousands of posts like this. To the point where other users were commenting on how tied they were of discussions about Apu being a racist caricature:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.tv.simpsons/iN1GWDEntsY/6VHfwqE8hiwJ

1) Apu. First, I'm sick to death of the Simpsons being thought of as racist.
Apu may be stereotypical, but that doesn't make the Simpsons OR Matt a racist.
And as far as his comment "I've always dreamed of the day when one of you
would be working for me," one could take it as referring to "one of you" as
his customers, who more often than not stick a gun in his face.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
characters like Apu are much more harmful than characters like the city wok guy from south park because one highlights the ridiculous nature of racial serotypes while the other normalises them.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every character in the simpsons are caricature... like seriously, did you missed the last decades of the show ?

Outrage culture as its best...

trashhero

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Saint-Petersburg
Only in a world where Anglo descendant characters weren't vastly represented throughout all of media due to being marginalized. We don't live in that world.
So you're saying that offensive representation of a particular group in a particular piece of media is completely a-okay as long as there are other pieces of media that represent this particular group inoffensively? If i'm getting you correctly, that's not any of this works at all.

Oct 28, 2017
Casting refers to the appointing of actors to characters they play. It does not mean the literal cast of characters.

Having a white dude who already plays like 20 different people play one more indian dude is literally the opposite of diverse casting.

In a context of a film, I would agree, but when you can't see the 'actor', the only measurement of diversity we have is what their character looks and sounds like.

Example A: Voice actor Arjun will play the role of Alex, an Indian-American who grew up in Los Angeles and moved to Springfield to pursue acting.
Example B: Rick, a white-guy, will be playing Apu, an Indian with a thick accent who recently migrated to the States.

When it comes to cartoons, the latter would be a better example of diversity.

Oct 28, 2017
Diverse casting is not having 1 dude who can do 20 different voices, that is ridiculous.

You completely disregarded what I said below the segment you quoted. Krejlooc, we can exchange opinions or ignore each other's posts. I understand your concerns, but I don't agree with them. Arguably, my opinion is of little value considering I'm not Indian myself. However, I've said all I can say on the topic.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Example A: Voice actor Arjun will play the role of Alex, an Indian-American who grew up in Los Angeles and moved to Springfield to pursue acting.
Example B: Rick, a white-guy, will be playing Apu, an Indian with a thick accent who recently migrated to the States.

When it comes to cartoons, the latter would be a better example of diversity.

That makes absolutely no sense. At the end of the day, a white dude is still voicing an Indian man when you could just get an Indian actor to voice Apu. How would having a Indian American be less of an example of diversity?

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Trolling + Mocking Members
Im glad i backed out this topic a few pages back.

Anyway. Im still gonna file a complaint and go nuts online. Every Scotsman does not videotape couples in cars!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You completely disregarded what I said below the segment you quoted. Krejlooc, we can exchange opinions or ignore each other's posts. I understand your concerns, but I don't agree with them. Arguably, my opinion is of little value considering I'm not Indian myself. However, I've said all I can say on the topic.

the second half of your post didn't convey any new arguments that I didn't address. Actually, it ignored my previous post explaining to you the difference between having a diverse cast and having diverse casting (and I disagree that having an immigrant Indian is some more "more" diverse of a cast than having an Indian American).

To make it simple - when talking about "casting" you are talking about the actors. When you are talking about cast, you are talking about the characters. No amount of what-ifs about the characters being played will make the casting, i.e. the actors playing those characters, diverse.

Nov 1, 2017
It's funny how the people that piss and moan about people being too sensitive frequently highlight their projection by whining about echo chambers and people being intolerant of their dissenting opinions.

If many of you don't care about people that are sick of dealing with stereotypes that they find harmful on a day to day basis, why should anyone care that a smaller number of people are laughing at you or calling you an idiot on a message board?

I mean afterall, there are more important things that that energy could be used for right?

Oct 31, 2017
Amazed but unsurprised that posters that don't see any harm in Apu are magically somehow taken aback by "Melanin deficiency"

Lmao cartoonishly oblivious as the idiots who scream about "outrage culture" and literally don't even know what they're talking about, forming their own opinions on feelings without addressing any criticism of the character actually made in the film. The trump position of uncritically taking the stance you believe is opposite from Obama's politics

Tools without the sack to form an educated opinion

trashhero

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Saint-Petersburg
Stop,, just, stop. White people making fun of each other is not racist. it's called privilege. German, America, etc are all fucking White. Apu is not white, Apu is Indian.You are justifying being racist towards Indians. Apu is a disgusting racist caricature and Simpsons is pretty much alt-right these days anyways.
Simpsons portrays russians and scots as uncivilised drunks? Oh, that's just white people making fun of each other, check you privilege you bigot.
Simpsons portrays indian as as a hard-working buisness owner? Wow, that's like fucking racist.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Simpsons portrays russians and scots as uncivilised drunks? Oh, that's just white people making fun of each other, check you privilege you bigot.
Simpsons portrays indian as as a hard-working buisness owner? Wow, that's like fucking racist.
Stereotypes of minorities are more harmful than stereotypes of non-minorities.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Amazed but unsurprised that posters that don't see any harm in Apu are magically somehow taken aback by "Melanin deficiency"

Lmao cartoonishly oblivious as the idiots who scream about "outrage culture" and literally don't even know what they're talking about, forming their own opinions on feelings without addressing any criticism of the character actually made in the film. The trump position of uncritically taking the stance you believe is opposite from Obama's politics

Tools without the sack to form an educated opinion

When they start getting the same burns and treatments that minorties have been getting for centuries, it's a fresh new experience that they don't like.

And no one has answered my question from a couple of pages back whether if Lou and Carl acted like black stereotypes would y'all still defend them.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
... they also have a desperate desire to stay relevant seeing how that one writer built this up on Twitter, despite also refusing to change even in the face of blatant racism & treating that expectation like it's wrong to have.
Al Jean isn't just a writer. He's the showrunner.