Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't post it because I don't want to get killed by Viacom.

I've seen various clips of it and...um. It's another CG SpongeBob in live action movie. There's a robot horse. Wanda Sykes is it and she goes bighead mode at parts or something? SpongeBob jumps into a pool and tickles all the girls feet. And there's a joke about SpongeBob being upset he lost all of his streaming apps.

It seems pretty bad. I'm not really one of those people who hold up SpongeBob as some sort of sacred figure and I think people upset at SpongeBob branching into spin-offs feels odd when it was always a heavily merchandised series but, yeah, the clips scare me.

One day I do wanna watch the previous two movies as I've heard they're OK. Personally, my idea is to recreate the Shawshank Redemption with SpongeBob and aim it at a slightly older audience. I've mapped out all the characters for it, and I'm willing to bank roll it but I haven't heard back from Viacom.

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently this one was made for Netflix, and unlike some of the newer episodes that have been praised, this movie is a hot mess.

I did see the foot tickling scene and thought "Did Dan Schneider ghost write this part?"

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I hope this movie does is bring back the Spongebob and Sandy sexual tension.

Always enjoyed that element of his character and felt stripping it was the beginning of them transforming Spongebob into a soulless merchandising machine.

It wasn't sudden as S2 and S3 dropped it and were still good but I felt it grounded him.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the entire movie is floating online. It's a Netflix movie, Viacom has been shutting them down, but we're too late, so people keep reposting it. It was full quality too, like the entire thing finished in HD, direct rip. Someone commented saying it wasn't supposed to be released until the end of the year? Unsure about that claim, but we don't even have an official trailer for it, other than we know a Sandy movie was coming.

Feel bad for the smaller execs and people who worked on it at Nick, they're probably having a rough day.

There is supposed to be a legit fourth SpongeBob theatrical movie next year.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
A movie that hasn't even gotten a trailer being leaked in its entirety is crazy. That's gotta suck for everyone involved.

What do they do, now? Just shadow drop it?

Oct 25, 2017
With the Sonic Leak and now this, it's been a rough month for Paramount. They should into locking down their shit.

Last edited:

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, my idea is to recreate the Shawshank Redemption with SpongeBob and aim it at a slightly older audience. I've mapped out all the characters for it, and I'm willing to bank roll it but I haven't heard back from Viacom.
Put that Waystar RoyCo money to work man. Get busy living or get busy dying.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And no Mr. Krabs wouldn't be the guard that's too obvious he'd be the money hungry Prison Warden.

I'd cast Patrick as the guard, SpongeBob as the lead obviously, Squidward as Red (or Squid as he'd be called), and Plankton as the leader of the Sisters.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
And no Mr. Krabs wouldn't be the guard that's too obvious he'd be the money hungry Prison Warden.

I'd cast Patrick as the guard, SpongeBob as the lead obviously, Squidward as Red (or Squid as he'd be called), and Plankton as the leader of the Sisters.

Who'd be the wife and the guy she was cheating with?

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh I just learned in the original show Bible Pearl was a more prominent character than Sandy...

There were a few hints between them but I feel like (originally) Spongebob was immature but clearly an adult so maybe the writers thought that'd be kind of sleazy to have Spongebob seriously into a high schooler and the boss of his daughter.

But even Sandy's VA thinks there was chemistry between the two so I'm not being crazy. I feel like Nick had that toned down as Spongebob became more of a Mickey character, a husk to merchandise who had to be simple and one note.

That's another thing that bugs me about modern Spongebob. Watching Pee Wee's big adventure he's a similar character to Spongebob but my favorite parts of the movie is when he gets annoyed by other people...adds some depth. Like when he's on the Alamo tour and is just done with it. Feels like Spongebob used to be similar in he'd have his limits of dealing with shit and would get annoyed, but recent characterizations of him lacks that afaik and he's always happy when when he should be pissed.

Oct 28, 2017
I just found out Paramount's actually doing a whole series of these spin-off films focused on different characters. After this there's a Plankton movie and a Patrick Star movie.

No Squidward movie though
squidwards_suicide.png

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out Paramount's actually doing a whole series of these spin-off films focused on different characters. After this there's a Plankton movie and a Patrick Star movie.

No Squidward movie though
squidwards_suicide.png

If I were to do a Squidward movie, it would be a near 1:1 animated version of Amadeus with nearly the exact same dialogue, just with Squidward as Salieri and SpongeBob as Mozart.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Everyone who's like "I dunno seasons 4, 5, and 6 were still kinda good..." this is your fault don't forget it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Huh I just learned in the original show Bible Pearl was a more prominent character than Sandy...

There were a few hints between them but I feel like (originally) Spongebob was immature but clearly an adult so maybe the writers thought that'd be kind of sleazy to have Spongebob seriously into a high schooler and the boss of his daughter.

But even Sandy's VA thinks there was chemistry between the two so I'm not being crazy. I feel like Nick had that toned down as Spongebob became more of a Mickey character, a husk to merchandise who had to be simple and one note.

That's another thing that bugs me about modern Spongebob. Watching Pee Wee's big adventure he's a similar character to Spongebob but my favorite parts of the movie is when he gets annoyed by other people...adds some depth. Like when he's on the Alamo tour and is just done with it. Feels like Spongebob used to be similar in he'd have his limits of dealing with shit and would get annoyed, but recent characterizations of him lacks that afaik and he's always happy when when he should be pissed.

early spongebob is closer to a show like rocko's modern life. except instead of being an everyman, spongebob is an annoying adult. but he's not annoying on purpose - he's just oblivious to how his optimism and general good-natured attitude can be grating on a wide variety of people. and that optimism wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't challenged every now and again. i think it's why some of my favorite episodes include weiny hut jr., rock bottom, and the bully.

Star-Lord

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a clip of the main bad guy as a kid and it can't be finished right…. Like there is no way they are gong to allow that to be the final version

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Are any of the movies as good as the first one? They seem to just keep pushing them out every few years.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
early spongebob is closer to a show like rocko's modern life. except instead of being an everyman, spongebob is an annoying adult. but he's not annoying on purpose - he's just oblivious to how his optimism and general good-natured attitude can be grating on a wide variety of people. and that optimism wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't challenged every now and again. i think it's why some of my favorite episodes include weiny hut jr., rock bottom, and the bully.

Yep.

And I always loved how Spongebob's optimism was contrasted with Squidward, who is annoyed by Spongebob but also a lot of episodes desperately show how much Squidward secretly sort of wants to be like Spongebob. And Spongebob is arguably Squidward's only friend (outside maybe Mr. Krabs)