Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a ban though, it's a requirement that China divest it/sell it for it to operate in the US so I don't really see that as a hypocritical stance.

It's a ban, no one in their right mind would really believe that ByteDance is going to just willfully hand over their tech and algorithm to an American company.

It also doesn't help the optics on any of this that all of the Democrats behind this have heavy financial investments in Meta/Twitter/Amazon.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
It seems like every generation is just getting worse off. As a Millennial graduating during the Great Recession, it was rough in different ways. I couldn't find a job to save my life, even as a cashier at a supermarket. I was unemployed for at least a year before I could get a $9/hr a job... The average starting salary for college grads now is $55,000, and there's little shortage of minimum wage jobs. The problem is a lot of those jobs are not enough to make rent in many places. And of course the pandemic happened with irreversible and long lasting changes on social development, mental health and a million or more deaths, which impacted all people but young people especially. Corporations are bilking consumers for everything they can. Technology has become fully embedded in our social lives. Full blown fascists are ready to take over the government. Our society has not proved as resilient to these shocks as people may have fundamentally believed, so I can't help but agree things are going to be worse for younger generations. Unless some drastic change occurs.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a ban, no one in their right mind would really believe that ByteDance is going to just willfully hand over their tech and algorithm to an American company.

It also doesn't help the optics on any of this that all of the Democrats behind this have heavy financial investments in Meta/Twitter/Amazon.
Im not going to argue that against most politicians are in bed with big corporations because that is clearly true. In regards to divestment, having read the fine print of the bill it's possible although incredibly unlikely that the end goal is something akin to GDPR in Europe where all your TikTok data has to reside in the US at all times and is under each persons control.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's always baffling to me whenever we see articles about Gen Z being cynical and/or apathetic, a thread is started that's inevitably full of old people saying the same exact shit our parents did.

"You just don't get it yet!"

The problem is that they don't want see a reason to get it; They see no tangible benefit in getting it because their whole lives have been defined by politicians hawking false promises and being held up as "saviors". When in reality that's not how things work. Every 4 years we go through a similar song and dance for young people and it's deeply frustrating across the board.

When a generation of people say something is wrong or broken, it's the responsibility of the people from prior generations to shut up and listen to their issues. Not denigrate them by yelling at the proverbial clouds about how the kids just don't know. Especially as we get further and further away from the fascist realities of times such as WW2. Those times enter the history book as we lose people who have first-hand experience. And history books are being downplayed heavily in the modern schooling system all over the Western world.

Millenials should see it as their duty to either educate or lead by example. Not talk down to the next voting bloc and telling them that their feelings are wrong because they're young.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
It's incredibly difficult to be optimistic about literally anything right now. Everything is either worse, more expensive, more crowded, less obtainable, or a mix of all of the above. Not to mention all the violence and political turmoil going on around the world. Unless you're sheltered and/or have a strong safety net (rich family) there's little to be optimistic about.

Nov 2, 2017
Looks at you not knowing at all what you're talking about, like a lot of the people in these articles who blame these things on Biden or Dems as well

Do you have an actual refutation of those points, of basically any pandemic program that's still running?

Because their point is 100% correct. Biden's COVID response was not great and the last year+ has been them tearing down whatever remained of the process while COVID remains incredibly prevalent, effectively implementing the same response Republicans aimed for initially: get a vaccine out ASAP and then ignore the problem.

We're now in a spot where Biden's CDC is no longer recommending isolation for any length of time after a positive COVID test, and not because the science says that isolation isn't necessary.

Remember the bit everyone made fun of Trump over about how the real problem was COVID testing and we should cut the testing? Biden's effectively implemented that. Any public testing infrastructure that did exist has been shuttered and they just ended the program for delivering free at-home tests.

If you want a real ugly laugh, go look up Biden 2020's platform for COVID and compare it to what they've actually done.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Gen Z right now has an uphill battle from an economic perspective. Hopefully things change for the better in the coming decades.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Both sides may not apply to every issue but the one that does apply to both Democrats and Republicans is that both parties bow first to their corporate donors, a lot of young people also seem pissed about how much money DEMS take from AIPAC given what is happening overseas.

Jeff Jackson is a Democrat catching a lot of shit right now because he used TikTok to build his platform and audience among young people and then turned around voted to ban it.
The TikTok thing is a bit of a nightmare. It probably should be banned or separated from the PRC on its own merits, but the U.S. record in this space is horrible and hypocritical. Too many unaddressed problems with our own government when it comes to data privacy, mass surveillance, accountability, government secrecy, and human rights poison the well when it comes to selling this action publicly.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's always baffling to me whenever we see articles about Gen Z being cynical and/or apathetic, a thread is started that's inevitably full of old people saying the same exact shit our parents did.

The problem is that they don't want see a reason to get it; They see no tangible benefit in getting it because their whole lives have been defined by politicians hawking false promises and being held up as "saviors". When in reality that's not how things work. Every 4 years we go through a similar song and dance for young people and it's deeply frustrating across the board.

When a generation of people say something is wrong or broken, it's the responsibility of the people from prior generations to shut up and listen to their issues. Not denigrate them by yelling at the proverbial clouds about how the kids just don't know. Especially as we get further and further away from the fascist realities of times such as WW2. Those times enter the history book as we lose people who have first-hand experience. And history books are being downplayed heavily in the modern schooling system all over the Western world.

Millenials should see it as their duty to either educate or lead by example. Not talk down to the next voting bloc and telling them that their feelings are wrong because they're young.
I don't think anyone is really doing that. The polling data in the article is interesting but the people they interviewed don't come across very well. I don't believe for a second the interviewees are representative of Gen Z as a whole.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
im-937715

F0ym8S0.png

iRV65Ii.png

yBePhG0.png
The last graph is impressive. I'd be from the part of the curve that has the least pessimism. I feel for the kids... I get it though, my pessimism is also way worse now than when I was finishing high school, it's certainly is something that impacts all ages

I don't think anyone is really doing that. The polling data in the article is interesting but the people they interviewed don't come across very well. I don't believe for a second the interviewees are representative of Gen Z as a whole.
I think a looooot of people are doing exactly that

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling
Trump was literally saying before the election that Covid was essentially a hoax to try and get Biden elected. He did nothing and actively sabotaged some of the actual adults remaining in the administration.
Remember before the election when Biden and Harris were fueling vaccine skepticism?

Asked by CNN's Dana Bash in a clip released Saturday whether she would get a vaccine that was approved and distributed before the election, Harris replied, "Well, I think that's going to be an issue for all of us."

When asked by Bash whether she thought that public health experts and scientists would get the last word on the efficacy of a vaccine, Harris predicted that they will not.

"If past is prologue that they will not, they'll be muzzled, they'll be suppressed, they will be sidelined," Harris said. "Because he's looking at an election coming up in less than 60 days and he's grasping to get whatever he can to pretend he has been a leader on this issue when he is not."

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The first page is full of people being flippant or disagreeing with the notion that the world feels like it's actively trying to kill the next handful of generations--especially since doom scrolling inevitably leads them down the pathway of hearing about the dozens of ways things are fucked--and they feel like they are largely going unheard. Why wouldn't they descend into utter apathy or outright cynicism?

I absolutely believe that the information provided is representative of a pattern of thought amongst young people and currently--imo--there's very little reason to (currently) believe it's going to improve unless active efforts are taken to make those young people feel like their voice and concerns actually matter.

Entropic

May 7, 2023
The article seems to frame them as disillusioned. Could it just be that they are being realistic about the state of the world?

the-simpsons-principal-skinner.gif

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The first page is full of people being flippant or disagreeing with the notion that the world feels like it's actively trying to kill the next handful of generations--especially since doom scrolling inevitably leads them down the pathway of hearing about the dozens of ways things are fucked--and they feel like they are largely going unheard. Why wouldn't they descend into utter apathy or outright cynicism?

I absolutely believe that the information provided is representative of a pattern of thought amongst young people and currently--imo--there's very little reason to (currently) believe it's going to improve unless active efforts are taken to make those young people feel like their voice and concerns actually matter.
I think you are misunderstanding, I agree that data is representative and there is a metric ton of stuff to be worried about. I don't think the actual people they interviewed are a good voice for the generation.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not to downplay the impact of the pandemic on Gen Z, but this shit is true of every generation. Every new generation gets battered by political and economic winds, every generation faces some incredible level of violence, and every generation starts out as incredibly disillusioned and apathetic about politics and opts out of voting accordingly (an action that has always, always made their situation even worse). Covid was unique but so was the 2008 recession, so was the Vietnam War. That's not a reason to do nothing about climate change, gun violence, the loss of reproductive rights, and it doesn't mean not to listen people distressed about the state of the county. But it is important to have perspective, too, because every time this comes up it's always framed in a "things used to so rosy, now they are FUCKED and we are DOOMED like never before" light that pretends like other generations didn't also have similar reasons to feel pessimistic.

Grindr divested from its Chinese ownership in 2020. If ByteDance is either unwilling to do the same, or isn't given approval from the Chinese govt to do so, then that kind of proves the point!

And Twitter is a private company, no Democrat or for that matter anyone not named Elon Musk has an investment of any kind in Twitter right now.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not to downplay the impact of the pandemic on Gen Z, but this shit is true of every generation. Every new generation gets battered by political and economic winds, every generation faces some incredible level of violence, and every generation starts out as incredibly disillusioned and apathetic about politics and opts out of voting accordingly (an action that has always, always made their situation even worse). Covid was unique but so was the 2008 recession, so was the Vietnam War. That's not a reason to do nothing but it is important to have perspective, too.

Grindr divested from its Chinese ownership in 2020. If ByteDance is either unwilling to do the same, or isn't given approval from the Chinese govt to do so, then that kind of proves the point!

And Twitter is a private company, no Democrat or for that matter anyone not named Elon Musk has an investment of any kind in Twitter right now.
Yep, young voters have always been disillusioned, decided not to vote, and then got mad when politicians don't court a group who refuses to even show up. It happened with gen z, it happened with millennials, and it happened with every generation before us

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Look up Gen Z men vs Gen Z women on the left\right scale. I think its part of the problem. That, and theres venues to shout learned helplessness with no elders around to be the boss of things.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think you are misunderstanding, I agree that data is representative and there is a metric ton of stuff to be worried about. I don't think the actual people they interviewed are a good voice for the generation.
Why do you believe that?

Most Gen Z people I've talked to through work or my private life have expressed similar sentiments; Things aren't going to get better under the current systems and politicians largely seem focused on maintaining a status quo. Is it because it's a struggle to do anything due to Republicans? Yes! Democrats don't take advantage of that enough to put it in everyone's face, though. To use the TikTok thing as an example, a lot of individuals see that one of the few pieces of legislation that's being passed without any trouble is the one that's seeking to make their lives worse.

COVID fucked them over in an entirely different way. Their social structures collapsed on them during what every single piece of media considered "the best time of your life". I could be missing some interview snippets but it largely looks like young people spitting out facts that their lives are not good and they feel useless/hopeless.

Oftentimes, what I see from millenials these days (and what we saw with Gen Z, and Boomers, etc, etc) is that we hit a certain age and begin downplaying the concerns of the younger people. Citing things like, "They don't vote, they get mad when things don't go their way, they should get more involved." But then you don't see people trying to court the younger generations. We saw it with Obama and it worked! Up through 2008 young people were a MASSIVE voting bloc for Democrats. Regardless of his track record, he inspired enough young people to use their vote in a meaningful way.

It's insulting to downplay the woes of younger people as "lacking perspective". It's what Boomers say whenever they're feeling entitled on any given hour.

Then you have shit like how Bernie was kneecapped by the Democrating establishment, when Bernie was saying the kind of things that hits the head of what people are currently facing; Idiotic rent, the CEO class lacking any responsibility, and general support structures failing. Why wouldn't you be cynical and apathetic at that point?

Last edited:

Entropic

May 7, 2023
Yep, young voters have always been disillusioned, decided not to vote, and then got mad when politicians don't court a group who refuses to even show up. It happened with gen z, it happened with millennials, and it happened with every generation before us

To be fair...the political class barely bothers to court the groups that do show up. Voting is mostly a harm reduction exercise at this point, because no one actually believes the American government can meaningfully materially help the conditions of their lives. There's negligible effort put forth even when the votes and engagement are there.

There was a brief window during Covid where it seemed like a better future was possible. That under the right circumstances and with the right motivation an active government could chart a better path for its citizens. But now we're back to "normal". So expect arcane tax incentives and piecemeal solutions for the next 30 years as the country slowly dissolves.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair...the political class barely bothers to court the groups that do show up. Voting is mostly a harm reduction exercise at this point, because no one actually believes the American government can meaningfully materially help the conditions of their lives. There's negligible effort put forth even when the votes and engagement are there.

There was a brief window during Covid where it seemed like a better future was possible. That under the right circumstances and with the right motivation an active government could chart a better path for its citizens. But now we're back to "normal". So expect arcane tax incentives and piecemeal solutions for the next 30 years as the country slowly dissolves.
Nobody's going to bother to court a group that doesn't show up. Politicians who tried to court the young do show up every now and then, that was Bernie Sander's strategy, it doesn't work because even "high" youth turn out is still really low. Nobody is going to put the effort into courting a group who is disengaged, because you'll reliably get better results courting people who are already engaged. The honest truth is that if the youth want to be courted by politicians, they need to vote first. If you just wait for the other side to take interest you'll be waiting forever. People do court the ones who do show up, that's why "stay the status quo" is the big thing in the democrats and why republicans are going full Maga. Because those are by and large who is voting reliably

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
You're missing something important here. For Millennials at least, they started politically after, they started voting... but their interests and their struggles were ignored, both by the party they voted for and the other side. Unlike Gen X and Boomers, who basically can vote for either side and have their interests served. I'm a Gen Xer myself. I voted for Hilary Clinton, but I did just fine under Trump. I would never vote for him because I think he's the literal devil, but whoever wins the next election will have a minimal impact on my economic situation. Same is mostly true for Millennials and Gen Z, but more in the negative.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, voting RFK Jr or Donald Trump will fix these problems.

Yes, that's how it's always been.
It seems logical that younger people are idealistic and want to vote accordingly. Give them another ten years and they will also understand that harm reduction is more of a fact instead. There are adversaries both domestic and foreign who try to influence that idealism unfortunately.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're missing something important here. For Millennials at least, they started politically after, they started voting... but their interests and their struggles were ignored, both by the party they voted for and the other side. Unlike Gen X and Boomers, who basically can vote for either side and have their interests served. I'm a Gen Xer myself. I voted for Hilary Clinton, but I did just fine under Trump. I would never vote for him because I think he's the literal devil, but whoever wins the next election will have a minimal impact on my economic situation. Same is mostly true for Millennials and Gen Z, but more in the negative.
I'm a millenial. We're ignored because we don't vote. The reason gen xers and Boomers are catered to more is simple, they're the ones who reliably show up to the polls. Again, you need to turn out first and then politicians will care. That's simply the reality of political calculus

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Political apathy is so last decade. I was disillusioned before it was cool.

I joke but yeah shit sucks. Certainly hasn't been an era in my life where your average politician wasn't already bought and sold to the middest bidder at the cost of the people's rights or quality of life.
I wish I could tell you it gets better, Zoomers.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I'm a millenial. We're ignored because we don't vote. The reason gen xers and Boomers are catered to more is simple, they're the ones who reliably show up to the polls. Again, you need to turn out first and then politicians will care. That's simply the reality of political calculus
This feels like a self fulling prophecy though. Politicians have limited time and money to campaign. Their data tells them the young people don't show up, so they don't cater to the young people because they won't show up. But those young people aren't showing up because you're not catering to them...

To shift the perspective slightly, the GOP has a lock on the Cuban vote in Florida. Why? Because they made the effort to cater to them. Maybe it was a mix of half truths and bullshit, but at least they made the effort. The Democrats act like Gen Z doesn't exist for the most part.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What came first? Vote for people who aren't talking about issues that effect you, or don't vote because you aren't being inspired to take the time? It's a chicken versus egg scenario.

Maybe Boomers and Gen X'ers are being catered to more because they're the primary demographic of the politicians in power, lacking the perspective needed to actually engage with things that young people care about.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a self fulling prophecy though. Politicians have limited time and money to campaign. Their data tells them the young people don't show up, so they don't cater to the young people because they won't show up. But those young people aren't showing up because you're not catering to them...

To shift the perspective slightly, the GOP has a lock on the Cuban vote in Florida. Why? Because they made the effort to cater to them. Maybe it was a mix of half truths and bullshit, but at least they made the effort. The Democrats act like Gen Z doesn't exist for the most part.
I mean yes, but the issue is that there's no guarantee people will show up if you do try to cater to them (and in fact there's evidence that even when people have tried they still turn out in lower numbers than more reliable groups). There are two groups with the power to change this equation, but one has nothing to gain if they try and fail (politicians), whereas the other can at least attempt harm reduction. You're right these things are cyclical, polticians cater to groups who vote and these people then in turn vote more often for those politicians. But politicians will never be the ones to change those cycles. The reality is like previous generations, millenials and gen zwill eventually learn this lesson and start voting, but at that point they'll be the old people replacing the boomers and gen z. Because young people never understand these lessons until it's too late, the cycle will continue indefinitely.

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
Republican policies benefit me more overall, personally - but I still vote democrat because their policies help the most. I did amazing during Trump, but there's no way in hell I'll ever vote for him.

It's exhausting though seeing people continually vote against their own self interest. This focus on who the president is also needs to go away, the focus needs to be on the reps getting voted in. The president can't do much without a working congress.

If you're disillusioned and don't vote you shouldn't complain, in my opinion. You're throwing away your voice.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Republican policies benefit me more overall, personally - but I still vote democrat because their policies help the most. I did amazing during Trump, but there's no way in hell I'll ever vote for him.

It's exhausting though seeing people continually vote against their own self interest. This focus on who the president is also needs to go away, the focus needs to be on the reps getting voted in. The president can't do much without a working congress.

If you're disillusioned and don't vote you shouldn't complain, in my opinion. You're throwing away your voice.
Telling a bunch of sad, miserable, scared people to shut up is a surefire way to get them to be politically active.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The amount of braindead "Gen Z will move on from TikTok in a week, tops" takes I've seen on my Threads feed is uh, something else.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Telling a bunch of sad, miserable, scared people to shut up is a surefire way to get them to be politically active.
The reality is nothing we say will get these people politically active. fixing their situation won't get them politically active either, they'll just shift from not being politically active because they don't think it'll make a difference to not being politically active because they don't think a difference needs to be made. There's nothing special about the current younger generation compared to the past, if anything they're turnout is slightly higher aligned to the number of elections compared to older generations though the amount of data is still very low for them. The reality is that young people generally don't find politics interest so they look for excuses to disengage. Saying things aren't good is a good reason to vote more, not less. That's consistently been true with every generation.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018

Yep, era is now the old people finger wagging over those damn kids

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
The reality is nothing we say will get these people politically active. fixing their situation won't get them politically active either, they'll just shift from not being politically active because they don't think it'll make a difference to not being politically active because they don't think a difference needs to be made. There's nothing special about the current younger generation compared to the past, if anything they're turnout is slightly higher aligned to the number of elections compared to older generations though the amount of data is still very low for them. The reality is that young people generally don't find politics interest so they look for excuses to disengage. Saying things aren't good is a good reason to vote more, not less. That's consistently been true with every generation.
I don't follow this logic. If this was true, why would Boomers vote at all? They've been catered to pretty much their whole lives, and yet remain the most consistent voting block. Their interests are being met and they vote to keep it that way.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean the reality is that our parents were right on this one. Every young generation starts out disengaged. Literally every single one of them. The trend of people voting more as they get older is consistent across every goddamn generation. The reality is young people lack experience and have only just started getting engaged in this stuff if at all, so anything that's not an instant fix will seem like it's nothing. It's only as people get older that they realize the long game does matter and that their decisions have impact, it's just not instantaenous, so eventually they learn their lessons, start voting, and the polticians start taking them seriously, but at that point they're the old people

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm trying to form a tl;dr of your argument here for my own sake but is it effectively:

Who cares what these young people are saying, because they wouldn't try to make a difference anyway.

Is that right or am I misinterpreting?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow this logic. If this was true, why would Boomers vote at all? They've been catered to pretty much their whole lives, and yet remain the most consistent voting block. Their interests are being met and they vote to keep it that way.
because they've gotten to the point where they realize the power of their votes. Again, the pattern is consistent across every generation, boomers didn't start out with high turn out, like every other generation they realized the power of their vote, started turning out, and the politicians started paying attention

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to form a tl;dr of your argument here for my own sake but is it effectively:

Who cares what these young people are saying, because they wouldn't try to make a difference anyway.

Is that right or am I misinterpreting?
No, I'm saying that this tone policing is pointless, because people have made their choices and are only looking to work backwards to justify them at this point. I can give all the evidence I want to support why voting is important, why making your voice heard is helpful, and why it can make a difference, and none of that will matter because logic has nothing to do with this. Again, turnout in gen Z is actually HIGHER than any other generation at the same point in the cycle, so this idea that their circumstances have made them uniquely disengaged is nonsense, it's patently untrue and directly contradicts the data. The reality is most people of any age aren't tuned into politics well and have a rudimentary understanding of government, the difference between young and old people is largely how much time they've had to realize and internalize the powers they do have in the system

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No, I'm saying that this tone policing is pointless, because people have made their choices and are only looking to work backwards to justify them at this point. I can give all the evidence I want to support why voting is important, why making your voice heard is helpful, and why it can make a difference, and none of that will matter because logic has nothing to do with this. Again, turnout in gen Z is actually HIGHER than any other generation at the same point in the cycle, so this idea that their circumstances have made them uniquely disengaged is nonsense, it's patently untrue and directly contradicts the data
Your 1+1 is not equaling out to 2 for me.

If you can give all of this data about why voting is important, but don't see results, why is Gen Z voting more?

I'd also say that tone policing is important because if logic doesn't break through, the tone that you're being addressed with is very likely to break through because you're appealing to emotion. Talking down to people who have issues isn't going to bring them around.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your 1+1 is not equaling out to 2 for me.

If you can give all of this data about why voting is important, but don't see results, why is Gen Z voting more?
More relative to how many elections they've been in. As in, gen z voted more in their first elections than millenials or boomers did when they were young and starting out voting.
turnout_generations_socialcard.png
gen-z-voted-at-a-higher-rate-in-its-first-midterm-election-than-previous-generations-did-at-that-age.png

In general every generation follows a similar curve in how it votes over time, with people consistently voting more as they get older
circle.tufts.edu

Gen Z Voted at a Higher Rate in 2022 than Previous Generations in their First Midterm Election

Author: Alberto Medina Contributors: Katie Hilton, Sara Suzuki

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
More relative to how many elections they've been in. As in, gen z voted more in their first elections than millenials or boomers did when they were young and starting out voting.
turnout_generations_socialcard.png

In general every generation follows a similar curve in how it votes over time, with people consistently voting more as they get older
circle.tufts.edu

Gen Z Voted at a Higher Rate in 2022 than Previous Generations in their First Midterm Election

Author: Alberto Medina Contributors: Katie Hilton, Sara Suzuki
I feel like that didn't answer my question; Why do you think Gen Z had the highest turn out for their first election(s)? What inspired them to go out for that first time?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that didn't answer my question; Why do you think Gen Z had the highest turn out for their first election(s)? What inspired them to go out for that first time?
Because world events have made them more aware of the importance slightly earlier for some of them. That said, the difference isn't that significant and these groups aren't monoliths, the point is the idea that gen z is uniquely disengaged is bullshit. If anything the importance of harm reduction is why the millenial voting patterns spiked and why gen z is higher, because dire circumstances have forced people to understand the value of their vote sooner than they might otherwise

Royalan

Proud United Statian
Oct 24, 2017
I think people are getting a little too hung up on age.

Breaking voters down by generation is useful for historical context, identifying voting patterns and trends, etc. But there's this weird sort of paternalism people ascribe to age demos. Millennials are not the "parents" of Gen Z. People, regardless of their age, ultimately go out and vote for the things that matter to them, and for the people who appeal to those things that matter to them. Nobody is really motivated to vote to show the young children the way.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think their confidence in 3rd party candidates to pass legislation banning more guns may be misplaced. 🙄

and here i thought gen z was more politically aware for the longest time.
lol. I wish.

Gen Z are the same dummies as the rest of us. There's no magical generation coming that will solve all the problems.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
As a Millennial, born in 1982, I definitely feel this. Most of us hit our career paths right around the financial crisis in 2008, thus permanently ruining a future for many. I'm sure it soured prospects for a lot of my generation. No ability to save up funds as so many lost their jobs, or had their parents lose their homes in 2008 + 2009.

Pretty bleak.

I think this is a useful post to highlight how problematic generalising generations (ha!) is. I am a millenial, but was born at the end of 1989. I was born and raised in a post-industrial former mining town, still reeling from the decimation of the community. I didn't have enough money to do much at Uni so I opting for a year out to get some solid work and pay in, and this just happened to coincide with the recession. Couldn't get anything other than very, very occasional oddjobs and went to Uni exhausted, depressed and without much to show for being a year behind. Then the Tories came in with their endless auterity. And now here we are.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Millennials definitely got hit hard by expectations meeting reality

Seems like a lot of Gen Z never even had those expectations to begin with

I've had 8th graders ask me why school is important, because they're all going to die in a war or killed by the climate anyway. I didn't have much of a response to that one. Basically I said, you should at least be able to read survival manuals and understand how to create simple machines.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you believe that?

Most Gen Z people I've talked to through work or my private life have expressed similar sentiments; Things aren't going to get better under the current systems and politicians largely seem focused on maintaining a status quo. Is it because it's a struggle to do anything due to Republicans? Yes! Democrats don't take advantage of that enough to put it in everyone's face, though. To use the TikTok thing as an example, a lot of individuals see that one of the few pieces of legislation that's being passed without any trouble is the one that's seeking to make their lives worse.

COVID fucked them over in an entirely different way. Their social structures collapsed on them during what every single piece of media considered "the best time of your life". I could be missing some interview snippets but it largely looks like young people spitting out facts that their lives are not good and they feel useless/hopeless.

Oftentimes, what I see from millenials these days (and what we saw with Gen Z, and Boomers, etc, etc) is that we hit a certain age and begin downplaying the concerns of the younger people. Citing things like, "They don't vote, they get mad when things don't go their way, they should get more involved." But then you don't see people trying to court the younger generations. We saw it with Obama and it worked! Up through 2008 young people were a MASSIVE voting bloc for Democrats. Regardless of his track record, he inspired enough young people to use their vote in a meaningful way.

It's insulting to downplay the woes of younger people as "lacking perspective". It's what Boomers say whenever they're feeling entitled on any given hour.

Then you have shit like how Bernie was kneecapped by the Democrating establishment, when Bernie was saying the kind of things that hits the head of what people are currently facing; Idiotic rent, the CEO class lacking any responsibility, and general support structures failing. Why wouldn't you be cynical and apathetic at that point?
Feels like it is vastly overstating the conservative support there is among Gen Z. It's one thing to say you don't support the Dems but to openly support even worse. I don't buy it.