ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Over my holiday break, I turned on my PS5 to install my disc version of Ghost of Tsushima. I switched over to my Xbox Series X while it installed. The console then turned off by itself after the inactivity timeout was done. I do not have any other drives attached to my PS5.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I turned on my console and it said it was going to rebuild the database. Ok. But it only stayed on that screen for a second before going to a black screen with the blue light on the PS5 slowly flashing. So I looked up what this was. It's been coined "the blue light of death." My guess is that it is a filesystem issue. It's unbelievable that Sony released a product in 2020 with such an unreliable filesystem. "Rebuilding" the PS5 after you use rest mode is not an uncommon thing to happen. A modern filesystem should be able to handle anything you throw at it, including sudden power drops without even blinking. But I have a strong feeling that this filesystem dates back to the PS3 and even earlier. The PS3 OS was based on a fork of FreeBSD, and I honestly believe they've been using that same fork ever since. People have been rebuilding their Playstation databases in safe mode since 2006. And issues with rest mode along with this BLOD are NOT rare.

Think about it. What other modern systems do you use that have as many filesystem issues as the PS5 does?

The blue light of death is a blue light on the PS5 itself that slowly ramps from off to on and off again every couple seconds. You will get a PS logo on the screen at initial boot, but it will change to a black screen after ~30 seconds. And then it will stay there until the console shuts off around an hour later.

Anyway, last night, I delved into safe mode for the first time. To get into safe mode you hold down the power button until the console beeps twice.

I have tried the following so far to revive my dead PS5:
1. Update the system software from the internet. This produced the progress bar, and as far as I can tell, it did reinstall the OS.
2. Rebuild the database. Seems to reboot almost immediately after selecting this option and it goes back to the BLOD.
3. Change the video output. My console is now outputting 480p, and I can tell it is from the low res PS logo.
4. Clear system software cache. Didn't seem to do anything.
5. Restore system software settings. Goes back to BLOD, but seems to have reset the resolution to 4k/60.
6. Unplugged the PS5 and my TV for 20 minutes. Someone suggested this. Right back to the BLOD.

I fear that my only other option is to reset the PS5, which will delete everything, including my game saves. I do have Playstation Plus, which should have stored my game saves in the cloud (automatically, I hope!) but at this point, I really don't trust Sony with ANY data integrity. Thank goodness I do actually have PS+, because if I didn't, I'd be screwed since Sony paywalls their cloud saves and there's no way to manually back them up.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?

I would truly suggest that people do not use rest mode until Sony addresses these issues. You never know when you might turn it on and your PS5 is unrecoverable.

OP
OP
ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I don't have a ps5 but maybe a factory reset could help if that is an option in safe mode.

Yeah, that is my last resort. There are two options. 6 and 7. I've tried all the rest.

1. Restart PS5
    Ends Safe Mode and restarts the PS5 console normally.
  2. Change Video Output
    Select Change Resolution or Change HDCP Mode. These options can be helpful when troubleshooting issues with blank screens.
  3. Update System Software
    Allows you to update the PS5 system software via direct download or a USB storage drive.
  4. Restore Default Settings
    Restores the PS5 console to the default factory settings. Restoring default settings won't delete content on console storage such as games, apps, screenshots, video clips, and saved data.
  5. Clear Cache and Rebuild Database
    Select Clear System Software Cache if you're experiencing system feature issues or performance drops.
    Select Rebuild Database to scan the drive and create a new database of all content on the system. This option is useful if you're experiencing system feature issues or a game icon remains on Home after it has been deleted.
  6. Reset PS5
    Deletes all user data and restores the PS5 console to its original state.
  7. Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software)
    Deletes all user data and removes PS5 system software.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox checks filesystem too after hard resets, but does not show it.
Xbox does not have rest mode though. It saves state on SSD.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
My PS5 used to routinely force me to reset to factory default settings, I swapped out my (old from my PS4) 8TB hard drive and attached a 4TB; haven't had any problems since; though I really miss the extra storage. Might be worth wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch, or getting another external.

OP
OP
ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
My PS5 used to routinely force me to reset to factory default settings, I swapped out my (old from my PS4) 8TB hard drive and attached a 4TB; haven't had any problems since; though I really miss the extra storage. Might be worth wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch, or getting another external.

I don't have an external drive. My PS5 has nothing attached to it. No aftermarket SSD, either. Bone stock.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Yeah, that is my last resort. There are two options. 6 and 7. I've tried all the rest.

1. Restart PS5
    Ends Safe Mode and restarts the PS5 console normally.
  2. Change Video Output
    Select Change Resolution or Change HDCP Mode. These options can be helpful when troubleshooting issues with blank screens.
  3. Update System Software
    Allows you to update the PS5 system software via direct download or a USB storage drive.
  4. Restore Default Settings
    Restores the PS5 console to the default factory settings. Restoring default settings won't delete content on console storage such as games, apps, screenshots, video clips, and saved data.
  5. Clear Cache and Rebuild Database
    Select Clear System Software Cache if you're experiencing system feature issues or performance drops.
    Select Rebuild Database to scan the drive and create a new database of all content on the system. This option is useful if you're experiencing system feature issues or a game icon remains on Home after it has been deleted.
  6. Reset PS5
  7. Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software)
    Deletes all user data and removes PS5 system software.
Back in the day my ps3 had the yellow light of death and doing number 6 was what fixed the issue so I would definitely try that.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This happened to my PS5 at launch, caused by issues with my external drive. Option 6 is the only way to fix it. Your saves should be fine (mine were, but I can't guarantee it) but all your game installs/updates will be wiped.

OP
OP
ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
So I bit the bullet and used option 6.
6. Reset PS5

My PS5 came to life again. The fanfare screen and sound you get when you boot a PS5 for the first time felt like them saying "congrats, you have to download all your shit again!"

I haven't yet checked my game saves to see if they are there since I had a meeting I had to run to. I'll report back with that.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's consoles always felt more PC-like with the OS issues since the PS3. Random errors coming out of sleep, safe mode rebuilds and overall just felt like a more creaky OS compared to the competition.

OP
OP
ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I was able to get my saves back from the cloud successfully.

So I'm good until the next time Sony's duct tape tears and their shitty file system shits the bed again.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get my saves back from the cloud successfully.

So I'm good until the next time Sony's duct tape tears and their shitty file system shits the bed again.
Unless you are at the mercy of Nintendo's cloud service, back up all your save data to all your gaming devices now. And get in a habit of backing up save data every month or more.

Shit sucks but better safe than sorry. :/