Nah it needs the Aaron Sorkin "The Social Network" treatment

6sXd.gif

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
We didn't have a lot of recaps for the first anniversary, but this one from CNBC was interesing:

www.cnbc.com

This MSFT-ATVI deal is an effort by the FTC to reset merger policy, says fmr. commissioner

William Kovacic, former FTC Commissioner, joins 'The Exchange' to discuss the labor union and political support behind Microsoft, the FTC's case around Microsoft and Activision and the antitrust impact of the acquisition.

It included a new interview with William Kovacic, former FTC Commissioner, about the case.

We also got a report from Benchmark (a research, sale, trading and investment banking firm) saying that the market is pricing in an 18% probability of deal success :s

On the other hand, I updated the next important dates (I mainly added the motion for the gamer's lawsuit):

- Late January 2023: Statement of objections from the EC.

- Late January /Early February 2023: provisional findings and remedies (if required) from the CMA.

- February 3rd 2023: decision from New Zealand.

- March 23rd 2023: motion for a preliminary injunction on the gamers' lawsuit.

- April 11th 2023: final decision from the EC.

- April 18th 2023: second extension of the original outside date. If MS quits by that date they have to pay a termination fee of $2,500,000,000; if they don't, the outside date gets extended until July 18th 2023.

- April 26th 2023: final report and remedies (if required) from the CMA.

- April - May 2023: decision from the SAMR in China.

- July 18th 2023: The end of the second extension and final outside date in the merger agreement. If MS quits by that date they have to pay a termination fee of $3,000,000,000; if they don't, they'll have to renegotiate the outside date with ABK.

- August 2nd 2023: beginning of the FTC in-house trial.

- Early 2024: decision from the FTC administrative law judge.

- Anything beyond that: unknown

Finally, pending questions!

Is it safe to assume that the statement of objections and provisional findings will be basically the same, but only CMA will post potential remedies alongside their provisional findings? Or does the EC also post potential remedies with a SO

Yes, only the CMA would post potential remedies to their concerns (if they don't block the deal, of course). The EC will share their concerns and then the parties are the ones who have to offer possible remedies to address them.

Idas another question...

You previously mentioned you don't think the CMA would set a precedent with a Phase 2 cleared with just behavioral remedies at this scale, is that correct? That you think they may just end up clearing Phase 2 without remedies if they don't do a total block?

So, with this update if the EU is drafting up their objections to then begin concession negotiations, and the EU antitrust lady in that Italian interview mentioning behavioral remedies often being enough (IIRC), do you see a scenario playing out where the EU passes with behavioral remedies (10 years on PS, etc) and shortly after the CMA clears without remedies so they can piggy back of the EU enforcement, but not set their own precedent? Like the EU posts their decision first, and then the next day or two the CMA posts phase 2 clearance preliminary findings?

Or would it just end up the both of them sharing the same enforcement? 🤔

That's a very good question.

Since Brexit happened, everyone in M&A has been a little obsessed about the divergence ratio between the CMA and the EC. In other words, the risk of a different outcome when the CMA and EC are reviewing the same deal in parallel.

Back in 2020 the CMA said that a conflict was possible but should be "relatively rare". Right now I think that the divergence ratio is around 18-20% That's way more than relatively rare. :p

The first big divergence was the Facebook/Kustomer case, approved by the CMA in Phase 1 without remedies, approved by the EC during Phase 2 with (behavioural) remedies 🤷🏻‍♀️ The thing is that the CMA unconditionally cleared the deal in Phase 1 knowing that the EC had referred the deal to Phase 2 the month before, with very similar theories of harm, markets and facts (speculation at the time was that the CMA did it to avoid considering behavioural remedies).

Since then there have been more different outcomes, a famous one was the Cargotec/Konecranes in early 2022, approved by the EC with structural remedies, blocked by the CMA (rejecting the same remedy packed offered to the EC) 🤷🏻‍♀️

So, the logic is that the EC and CMA would cooperate and end up with a similar decision, but different outcomes are totally possible right now.

I still think that the CMA won't approve this case with behavioural remedies (although they make sense). But I see good arguments for the other three options:

1.- The EC has concerns and the CMA too. The EC will approve it with behavioural remedies but the CMA will only approve it with structural remedies, because those make more sense for vertical mergers.

2.- The EC has concerns and the CMA too. The EC will approve it with behavioural remedies but the CMA will block the deal following the arguments from Phase 1, the decision from the FTC and because this is Big Tech.

3.- The EC has concerns and the CMA has some too. The EC will approve it with behavioural remedies but the CMA will approve it without remedies according to their own precedents, because they think that the pro-competitive rationale for the deal (mobile, cheaper access to games, etc) would be lost if the deal were blocked and because MS has no incentive or ability to make the input (mainly COD) exclusive.

My crazy gut feeling still says number 3, but everything can happen :D

In any case, I think that the provisional findings will come after the SO from the EC. My guess is the week after this one, between January 30th and February 3rd (late January - early February) :p

What's the difference between informal and formal talks about concessions? With these informal talks, would MS already have an idea of what concessions they need to offer for the deal to be approved?

The level of detail and timing. During informal talks you focus more on the What, during formal talks you also have to take into account the When or How, for example.

Yes, those informal talks should help MS to get a better idea of what could address the concerns from the EC.

What would it mean for a foreign body/country to object? Would it just be a series of fines constantly? These are American companies and if they get approval in America, then I wonder what power foreign countries and organizations have.

Yes, fines would be part of it. But legal compliance (specially if you are a public company), reputation, government relationships, etc. would be affected too. If 1-2 big regions/countries are agains a merger it's better to abandon the deal and focus on something new.

Also, did MS ever give an indication that they would lower their platform fee, if they got a bigger foothold in the market?
Either I'm missing something or this bullet point seems really weird.

The Open App Store Principles suggested that the platform fee for Xbox could get lower, I think.

How significant is this? After seeing the FTC ignore the CWA, it doesnt seem like regulators actually care about this stuff

Not critical but it's never bad.

These are very interesting. In the Epic v Apple trial, if I remember correctly, MS said they'd drop the 30% fee for their Windows Store, and argued Apple and Google should do the same. They also argued they couldn't lower the fee on Xbox because of it being a closed, specific-purpose platform. It seems the EGDF is shooting their shot, trying to get a 'mild' concession here. I wonder what will MS answer to these specific points.

Yes, I guess that the concept of the Universal App Store could open up the possibility of lowers fees on Xbox too. At least in the long run.

Lost me on this one. I don't see a world where the AKB merger would have any effect on the number of cloud computing providers. That market would be about as impacted as the market for mobile phone operating Systems.

Yes, how the cloud gaming market issue is going to be resolved will be an interesting one

What is the author implying here?

The rationale of the deal, why the acquisition was internally approved by MS.

He doesn't give too much credit for the FTC current arguments lol

Haha! No, he tries to come up with arguments for both scenarios but one side is weaker than the other.

If the finest team of lawyers from the FTC can't shut the deal down, what hope does the lawyers from a handful of gamers have?

They are looking for money through a possible class action lawsuit in the future.

Does issuing the SO give the public any info even redacted submissions?

In theory they are confidential (only for the parties), but through press reports I guess that we'll have more info.

Hopefully the CMA update and SO will come together next week

I think that next week the SO from the EC and the week after the provisional findings from the CMA it's a possible scenario.

Will the SO give us an idea if the EC is open to accepting remedies and approving the deal?

Yes, we should have a better understanding of their concerns and what could address them.

Can't wait for next week then to hear from the EC. CMA is interesting with MS being in the dark. Is that usually the case for companies that get to this point?

Anyway, wild times ahead!

Yes and no. You don't know exactly what the regulator is thinking but from their requests and questions you can guess/feel their concerns and how convincing your answers and arguments are being.

So the SO and will not be released in the public? anyway I am looking forward to the report on SO

Very unlikely, but the press should report something.

Just wanted a quick shout to Idas for continuing delivering relevant/timely analysis to this thread.

Do you have a buymeacoffee account or anything?

Haha! Thanks :) By the way, I read the article about the history of Atari, a good example of how dynamic (and unpredictable) the industry can be.

Many thanks Idas, can't wait to see how it all pans out. Will be wild either way haha and cause this thread to blow up. In a weird way I'm gonna miss this once the deal is over all the drama and fighting in public, spicy legal documents and so on was fun to see in a twisted way haha.

Thanks for the update, my bunker is almost completed for the fall out.

This time last year I knew nothing about regulatory bodies, I still know next to nothing but I feel like I'm learning more day by day in here.

No matter how this deal plays out, I want to say thank you for all these regular updates and for making this whole process easier to understand!

Thanks! :) Happy to help

Dayum. I wonder if pieces like this (and the general media outlook on there being no case for the FTC against the Microsoft-Activision acquistion) have any sway on other regulators, like the CMA or EC?

Unlikely, specially in different jurisdictions.

www.wsj.com

Opinion | Hunter Biden and News Suppression

Only America has its hands over its eyes concerning certain actions of the FBI.

Going by some of this dude's other articles I would want him to be negative on me as well. Dude seems pretty right wing.

Yes, you can be against the arguments from the FTC without being so harsh.

Idas I was wondering if you read this, and if so what you thought of it.

From the Unintended Consequences Dept.: Sony may live to regret the market definition and theory of harm in the Microsoft-ActivisionBlizzard merger context

As the saying goes, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Sony is the only vocal complainer over Microsoft's purchase of A...

Yes, I did! It's definitively something that can happen and it's one of the side effects that third parties against a deal may suffer in future deals or investigations.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
We didn't have a lot of recaps for the first anniversary, but this one from CNBC was interesing:

It included a new interview with William Kovacic, former FTC Commissioner, about the case.

Looks like the end of the month will create a better path for either the FTC or Microsoft depending on the Meta outcome.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Damn, so by the end of the month we will have the EC, possibly the CMA, and the Meta/Within case results, and a few days after the NZ results.. it's gonna be wild.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone post this article?
I really don't understand why MS doesn't walk away at this point, it seems impossible for it to go through.

Market predictions don't really mean anything. MS won't back out because the benefits of closing greatly outweigh the penalty of the deal falling through.

MS has a fair chance at getting through UK and Europe with remedies. If that happens the deal will close. There's no reason to back away before a ruling.

Last edited:

Dingo

Jul 19, 2022
If they drop the deal microsofts future prospects are hampered.
Also has a knock on effect for the other tech giants.
Why drop it until you get a definite no?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Can someone post this article?
I really don't understand why MS doesn't walk away at this point, it seems impossible for it to go through.
Here:
Benchmark has cut full-year growth estimates for Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ:ATVI), but it still sees room for upside even in what it considers the likely event that an acquisition by Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) falls through.

The videogame maker reports earnings on Feb. 6, though it won't be offering guidance or holding a call due to the pending acquisition. Microsoft's proposed takeout price of $95 per share implies 29% upside from current pricing.

That suggests the market is pricing in an 18% probability of deal success, analyst Mike Hickey said.

Still, the company rolled out a significant game pipeline for the fiscal fourth quarter and for fiscal 2023 that should drive growth, he said: "We think investors will either be rewarded" through the $95 takout price or Benchmark's $90 target, which still implies about 22% in case the deal is blocked due to antitrust laws (in which case Microsoft (MSFT) pays a termination fee of $2.5B-$3B).

Both the Call of Duty and World of Warcraft franchises had "strong new releases" that will boost the holiday quarter, but Benchmark is cutting this year's growth estimates over concerns about macro pressures and the anticipated impact of Blizzard suspending game services in China this month.

Hickey sees that impact this fiscal year amounting to $250M in net bookings, and adjusted earnings per share of 23 cents.

Analyst consensus is for Activision Blizzard (ATVI) to post earnings per share of $1.51 with bookings coming in at $3.16B.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the market has gradually dropped in enthusiasm toward the deal passing as more and more info comes out.
The market is going to lose confidence as it takes longer and longer which isn't really surprising. The release of the CMA's provisional findings will also cause the market to react. Anything positive towards MS getting the greenlight from the CMA will result in a surge in new investors in ABK looking at the arbitrage opportunity.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
The market is going to lose confidence as it takes longer and longer which isn't really surprising. The release of the CMA's provisional findings will also cause the market to react. Anything positive towards MS getting the greenlight from the CMA will result in a surge in new investors in ABK looking at the arbitrage opportunity.
It's probably moreso the headlines than anything else. There have been misleading headlines about the FTC suing to block the ABK deal (they filed a complaint in their administrative court) and how the EU is planning to block the deal (they're going to publish a list of potential objections that Microsoft can negotiate).

In other words, clickbait drives a lot of the fluctuation these days because writers don't want to bother with nuance.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
If they drop the deal microsofts future prospects are hampered.
Also has a knock on effect for the other tech giants.
Why drop it until you get a definite no?
Microsoft will fight tooth and nail against the block because if they take it now they will effectively be dictated too on how to conduct business and no one in MS wants that

remedies they are fine with but having their hands tied behind their backs is something that may bring ruthless Microsoft back into being

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The big thing people are discounting is that Microsoft as a company tends to rely on acquisition to fuel R&D, develop new product lines and stay competitive.

So given that we're seeing a situation where governments are trying to block acquisitions, It's far more likely that Microsoft will fight until the end since giving in early would have far more dire consequences for the company at large. Because if Microsoft can't acquire a company in an industry they are getting their asses handed to them in, they will never be allowed to acquire anything close to the products and industries that actually being home the vast majority of revenue for them.

And that's more dangerous for Microsoft than anything else.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
There FTC, in their attempted "reset" as essentially trying to completely rewrite the law on something. Law making is not their job. That is the role of the elected bodies in the US and, by by their interpretation, the judiciary.

Kovacic has basically admitted massive over reach here. An own goal that will get read out in court someday.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
evil-hands.gif

That stripped down OT title, getting ready for the newest update to come.

Good or bad it has been a fucking ride

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
There FTC, in their attempted "reset" as essentially trying to completely rewrite the law on something. Law making is not their job. That is the role of the elected bodies in the US and, by by their interpretation, the judiciary.

Kovacic has basically admitted massive over reach here. An own goal that will get read out in court someday.

Take a look at Elizabeth Warrens proposed changes to anti-trust law and expansion of FTC powers.

IMO this case basically amounts to spending political capital in an effort to garner support for sweeping legislative changes. While I think the FTC arguments are complete nonsense- I now see clearly the value in taking this position, win lose or draw.

If they lose "see big tech has too much power, we need to change the law"
If they win "we averted certain disaster through atypical means, we need to change the law so that this never happens again"

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Seems the market has gradually dropped in enthusiasm toward the deal passing as more and more info comes out.

It depends on who you ask. If you go searching for content that leans towards no then that is the narrative you're creating. On the other hand when you see interviews from those who used to work at the FTC it sounds like it could go either way pending on what happens with the Meta deal and the union side of things.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Exciting times ahead! I wonder of it will be "uninamnous" on going for or against the deal or if we'll see mixed results from the major regions.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on who you ask. If you go searching for content that leans towards no then that is the narrative you're creating. On the other hand when you see interviews from those who used to work at the FTC it sounds like it could go either way pending on what happens with the Meta deal and the union side of things.
I was talking about the numbers. Like how it was given a 18% chance for approval in that article.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was talking about the numbers. Like how it was given a 18% chance for approval in that article.
The betting market is notoriously wrong all of the time. You should hang around election era next cycle.

That doesn't mean ABK is going to go through, but just that they aren't meritous.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Under FTC Rule of Practice 3.34(c), any motion to limit or quash a subpoena must be
filed within the earlier of ten days of service of the subpoena or the time for compliance
therewith. SIE states that it seeks an extension of time in order to continue its negotiations with
Microsoft regarding the subpoena, thereby narrowing potential discovery disputes.[\quote]

Screenshot_20230123_185513_Adobe_Acrobat.jpg

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Seems like procedural stuff for fact discovery. Someone at MS goofed with the subpoena and there was an agreed upon extension for delivery/negotiation of info from Sony.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
CMA .... do something

Explain this to me like I'm five.
MS subpoena'd Sony on the 12th incorrectly (name/actual serving of it) with a deadline of the 20th (Sony has a right to respond in order to try and limit or quash the Subpoena(
MS fixed it and sent it on the 17th but same deadline.
Sony asked for the deadline to be the 27th, MS agreed and so did the judge (it also seems like MS needed to give Sony 10 days to respond).

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
CMA .... do something

MS subpoena'd Sony on the 12th incorrectly (name/actual serving of it) with a deadline of the 20th (Sony has a right to respond in order to try and limit or quash the Subpoena(
MS fixed it and sent it on the 17th but same deadline.
Sony asked for the deadline to be the 27th, MS agreed and so did the judge (it also seems like MS needed to give Sony 10 days to respond).

Ah thanks.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Why have people here seemed more optimistic about the CMA over recent weeks in this thread? I thought that they were the most likely to be a roadblock than any other regulator?