MarkuGarku

Aug 22, 2022
Well Microsoft's desperation is palpable.

Microsoft only have themselves to blame for all this attention. A misaligned and mismanaged XBOX business, even still in the Phil Spencer era, goes a long way to put in to focus how much money has already been pumped in to the business and how much is needed to, possibly, keep it relevant.

This play for Call of Duty is just too ambitious and divestiture of the brand wouldn't rectify the core issue they are tying to mend. A failure to procure could be the start of the end of XBOX, not Microsoft in gaming, just XBOX. GamePass could still survive as a traditional Microsoft service but the platform could be toast.

If the outcome is less than positive, what a shocking way for the brand to exit.

Xbox was DOA 20 years ago, right?

n0one

Jan 3, 2023

Microsoft only have themselves to blame for all this attention. A misaligned and mismanaged XBOX business, even still in the Phil Spencer era, goes a long way to put in to focus how much money has already been pumped in to the business and how much is needed to, possibly, keep it relevant.

This play for Call of Duty is just too ambitious and divestiture of the brand wouldn't rectify the core issue they are tying to mend. A failure to procure could be the start of the end of XBOX, not Microsoft in gaming, just XBOX. GamePass could still survive as a traditional Microsoft service but the platform could be toast.

If the outcome is less than positive, what a shocking way for the brand to exit.

Someone please tell me this is copypasta

Krazie

Jun 6, 2022

Oh my. Lol.

Sep 8, 2020

Oh my, in my opinion this message from Microsoft has been posted just at the right time. They can now reference to this message when in talks with the CMA to show that this will positivily influence the market and it's players. Call of Duty via the Azure Cloud on your Switch!

I really could care less about CoD, I want the studios behind Call of Duty and even Toys for Bob to be able to make games they want to make (like Tango with Hi Fi Rush). Imagine Raven being able to make a Wolverine game, oh wait...

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
There's an increasingly embarrassing lack of self-awareness by some people.

This thread has many occasions of people getting dogpiled for not being in full support of the deal, let alone for being against it.
This thread was made because every other update thread was full of people dogpiling people who wanted to discuss the actual process and laws around the merger and mechanisms etc

The whole "I feel this is bad for x" doesn't make sense in a thread about actual legal definitions and regulatory processes (and their sticking to / deviation from conventional understanding of markets and vertical integration mergers)

Well at least that's what I thought the tread was started for

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I don't think the MS/Nintendo agreement is going to sway the CMA at all given the initial report for them dismissing Nintendo as being in the same market as Sony/MS.

n0one

Jan 3, 2023
This thread was made because every other update thread was full of people dogpiling people who wanted to discuss the actual process and laws around the merger and mechanisms etc

The whole "I feel this is bad for x" doesn't make sense in a thread about actual legal definitions and regulatory processes (and their sticking to / deviation from conventional understanding of markets and vertical integration mergers)

Well at least that's what I thought the tread was started for

The pertinent fact against the narrative that this thread 'doesn't allow those opposed to the deal', is that no one has come up with a fully considered and legitimate reason why this deal shouldn't go ahead. That is why these takes are meeting the resistance they have.

I have yet to see a fully considered argument as to why this is bad for consumers, and the market, but I'm fully open to being proven wrong on that.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Small update from MLex:

- Ahead of the meeting and talking with the press, Brad Smith said that: "We are more than willing, given our strategy, to address the concerns that others have". "Whether it is by contracts, like the one we did with Nintendo this morning, or by regulatory undertakings, as we have consistently been open to".

- Original version: MLex understands that although Sony has refuted the idea that licensing deals will ease competition concerns, it is engaged in talks with the Xbox maker on potential remedies.

- Updated version: While Sony has held talks with Microsoft on platform access, it has stressed that licensing deals won't ease competition concerns.

- The Statement of Objections is still pursuing all three theories of harm against Microsoft that were mentioned in November (OS and subscription services included, then).

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The pertinent fact against the narrative that this thread 'doesn't allow those opposed to the deal', is that no one has come up with a fully considered and legitimate reason why this deal shouldn't go ahead. That is why these takes are meeting the resistance they have.

I have yet to see a fully considered argument as to why this is bad for consumers, and the market, but I'm fully open to being proven wrong on that.
I think folks can be against it without having the legal knowledge to argue why. It could be as simple as wanting the deal to fail because they want ABK to stay multiplatform. I'm sure crash fans would like all crash games to stay multiplatform if they only plan to buy a ps or switch.

Small update from MLex:

- The Statement of Objections is still pursuing all three theories of harm against Microsoft that were mentioned in November (OS and subscription services included, then).
Oh so the EC haven't dropped subscription services like the CMA did. And the still have OS issues. That seems bad for MS.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Small update from MLex:

- Ahead of the meeting and talking with the press, Brad Smith said that: "We are more than willing, given our strategy, to address the concerns that others have". "Whether it is by contracts, like the one we did with Nintendo this morning, or by regulatory undertakings, as we have consistently been open to".

- MLex understands that although Sony has refuted the idea that licensing deals will ease competition concerns, it is engaged in talks with the Xbox maker on potential remedies.

Its good that Sony and MS are atleast talking again

Oct 27, 2017
Let's forget for a moment that a Venn Diagram between the diehard CoD user base and the diehard Nintendo-only console user base is likely two completely separate circles on either side of a room for a second.

Do we honestly think a hypothetical savvy console gamer investing in the Switch successor console as their only console purely based on the existence of this binding agreement and love for the Call of Duty series would be satisfied with these Call of Duty games being purely streaming-only affairs? Do we really think that would fulfill this strongly worded announcement of said binding agreement?
Nintendo wouldn't have signed the agreement if it was streaming-only just for the sake of holding that version back. The only three options are:

1. This includes the current Switch and Nintendo accepts streaming-only because they know there's no reasonable way to port them to handheld hardware from 2017 without cutting back features like player counts and other essential elements.
  2. This deal is expected to cover a timeframe that starts with the Switch 2 and they have negotiated with MS that the Switch 2 will have sufficient power to natively run the next decade of CoD releases.
  3. This deal is for Switch and/or Switch 2 but includes some combination of running natively and through streaming, as both parties are in agreement based on the technical specs and the expected scope of future CoD games.
I'm certain that Nintendo has done a ton of research on what matters for CoD players and only agreed to sign the deal if it is as close to a "perfect" port as possible. Otherwise, why sign anything?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
He didn't mention streaming, he just spoke about price which is a dumb statement. Who said Microsoft would be only streaming the games? Who also said that they will support the Switch as it is now, they would support the next console which will be more powerful and it's not like we've never had teams to create a dedicated version of a game. I could see Microsoft spinning up another side team just for Switch 2 and beyond ports.
Do you know how many developers already work on COD in it's current state?
I'm actually interested in how MS goes about this when the acquisition is done, the man power to port COD to switch yearly surely can't match the reward if you ask me

n0one

Jan 3, 2023
I think folks can be against it without having the legal knowledge to argue why. It could be as simple as wanting the deal to fail because they want ABK to stay multiplatform. I'm sure crash fans would like all crash games to stay multiplatform if they only plan to buy a ps or switch.

Oh so the EC haven't stopped subscription services like the CMA did. And the still have OS issues. That seems bad for MS.

Which is fine, we all have a personal stance, but the issue is when these are made as definitive statements, i.e. 'this deal shouldn't go through', instead of ' I don't want the deal to go through', the former bringing justified scrutiny.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Small update from MLex:

- MLex understands that although Sony has refuted the idea that licensing deals will ease competition concerns, it is engaged in talks with the Xbox maker on potential remedies.

That's an encouraging update. still hoping the deal goes through.
MS should have invited Nintendo over too. I'm sure they'll have a lot to say.

Mmmmmkay

Jan 28, 2023
Fair, I just checked online and it specifically says "moved to block" so the actual block hasn't happened
I think what he was trying to say is that the FTC cannot block a merger or approve for that matter. When they "move to block", they're asking the courts to block it. In the US a merger can only be deemed illegal thru the courts.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Oh so the EC haven't dropped subscription services like the CMA did. And the still have OS issues. That seems bad for MS.

I don't 100% understand the OS complaint unless its specifically about the streaming/server OS. Even the CMA dropped that one.

Finally, at this stage of the investigation, the Commission has concerns that the proposed acquisition may reduce competition on the market for PC operating systems. In particular, the Commission is concerned that Microsoft may reduce the ability of rival providers of PC operating systems to compete with Microsoft's operating system Windows, by combining Activision Blizzard's games and Microsoft's distribution of games via cloud game streaming to Windows. This would discourage users to buy non-Windows PCs.

There are behavioural solutions here imo but unsure whether they make sense for MS. I don't know what is the $ revenue amount is driven by Windows Client OS licensing within Azure.

Oct 25, 2017
If the deal doesn't go through, the industry isn't healthy anymore? How so?

Sets a bad precedent that will hamper the ability to compete and will help greatly Sony to maintain current status quo, also will stagnate the industry in their progress to become more democratic and platform agnostic thanks to services such as game pass. Also people at ABK are way worse without it.

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For CoD devs' sake, if this goes through, hopefully Nintendo's nextgen system is coming before the first title under this agreement.

I do not envy a team having to make content parity between PS5/XS and the Switch.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Kotick just had a meeting with Jim Ryan and told him that the deal with Microsoft is extremely kind on his pocket. So if Sony doesn't side with the deal, Kotick promises that as long as he can control Activison's decisions, there will be no other exclusivity deal with Sony.

Just kidding....

DGS

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Sets a bad precedent that will hamper the ability to compete and will help greatly Sony to maintain current status quo, also stagnating the industry in their progress to become more democratic and platform agnostic thanks to services such as game pass. Also people at ABK are way worse without it.

MS can only compete and change the status quo by buying a publisher for $69 billion? Nintendo went from flop (GameCube) to hit (Wii) to flop (WiiU) to hit (Switch) with pure innovation. This deal isn't going to drive innovation, quite the opposite, imo. And ABK employees are the last thing MS thinks about.

Habs

Mar 10, 2021
Nintendo wouldn't have signed the agreement if it was streaming-only just for the sake of holding that version back. The only three options are:

1. This includes the current Switch and Nintendo accepts streaming-only because they know there's no reasonable way to port them to handheld hardware from 2017 without cutting back features like player counts and other essential elements.
  2. This deal is expected to cover a timeframe that starts with the Switch 2 and they have negotiated with MS that the Switch 2 will have sufficient power to natively run the next decade of CoD releases.
  3. This deal is for Switch and/or Switch 2 but includes some combination of running natively and through streaming, as both parties are in agreement based on the technical specs and the expected scope of future CoD games.
I'm certain that Nintendo has done a ton of research on what matters for CoD players and only agreed to sign the deal if it is as close to a "perfect" port as possible. Otherwise, why sign anything?
Would Nintendo not sign this no matter what? It's free money for them, especially when the first game launches and people buy it out of curiosity.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Sets a bad precedent that will hamper the ability to compete and will help greatly Sony to maintain current status quo, also will stagnate the industry in their progress to become more democratic and platform agnostic thanks to services such as game pass. Also people at ABK are way worse without it.
Both Nintendo and Sony have managed too turn things around when things haven't been going good for them without buy pubs.
It's all about starting too deliver good games that people want now for Xbox, they have the studios needed for it already.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Nice PR spin. I mean you don't even own ABK yet, this is simply "pinky swear".
Well if Microsoft is going to prove that "behavioral remedies will work" for the CMA, these are the kinds of moves they need to make. An unprecedented binding contract to not only continue bringing CoD to PS and Steam, but to new platforms like Switch and possibly Nvidia's geforcenow. It's no skin off anyone's nose if the deal falls through, but now if the CMA's biggest argument is that CoD is "essential", MS has now legal bound themselves to bring that essential product to more devices. If the contract has an option for Nintendo/Sony/Valve/etc to extend, and Microsoft commits to signing similar deals with any new competitors to wish to have that "essential input" it should cover all angles for the CMA's biggest objection.

This is either a hail Mary play if you think the CMA has all but closed the door on the deal, and if you think MS and the CMA are negotiating to get the deal approved this is likely what the CMA said needed to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
MS can only compete and change the status quo by buying a publisher for $69 billion? Nintendo went from flop (GameCube) to hit (Wii) to flop (WiiU) to hit (Switch) with pure innovation. This deal isn't going to drive innovation, quite the opposite, imo. And ABK employees are the last thing MS thinks about.

Industry is consolidating, big names are making acquisitions so the way to compete now is like this. Also it's not fair to compare MS and Nintendo, they are totally different cases. Nintendo is a well established and beloved company with strong brand recognition and IPs, Microsoft lacks that and it's not something you can build overnight. Their innovation push is to change the industry business model from the old backwards one that allows Sony to charge 70 dollars per game, to one subscription service based that will unlock games for current and new players anywhere. This deal will allow for ABK games to reach new platforms and to give a big push to this vision. And it doesn't matter if MS is not doing this for ABK employees, if the deal benefits them who fucking cares.

Mmmmmkay

Jan 28, 2023
I made the comments I made assuming there will be a Switch successor in the next year. Assuming Nintendo stays with their Switch-type hybrid console strategy (or even if they don't, truthfully), there is no way it still won't be lacking in power when put up against Xbox Series X or PS5. Microsoft is now apparently in a binding agreement to have Nintendo console versions of Call of Duty games be at feature and content parity with Xbox and PlayStation versions. If they are not going to cheat and just make streaming versions, this will require the scope of the Xbox and Playstation (and yes, PC) versions to shrink. And I don't want to hear any scalability arguments, those same arguments came up when people claimed the Xbox Series S would be able to have complete parity with Series X versions of games while simply running at a lower resolution which has been proven false like anyone with any sense could have predicted.

And this huge agreement was made to satisfy the legions of Nintendo-only console gamers who have been clamoring to get mainline Call of Duty titles back on their platform of choice. Does such a faction of Nintendo-only console gamers even exist? I'm doubting there are even dozens of them.
Feature and content parity are different from graphical/technical parity. Also from contracts that we have seen they all seem to have a stipulation referring to parity within the technical limits of the device it's being developed for. I would also say if they could make a playable version of COD for the Wii U, they can definitely get a feature and content parity version running on the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Would Nintendo not sign this no matter what? It's free money for them, especially when the first game launches and people buy it out of curiosity.
I doubt it, they know MS wants to show this to regulators to help support their argument for a $70 billion acquisition so I assume they will ask for some basics in terms of just getting decent ports. If they wanted to be aggressive, they could ask for a marketing deal equal to what Sony got but just making sure the ports are on as equal ground as possible seems like an easy ask.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
This thread has many occasions of people getting dogpiled for not being in full support of the deal, let alone for being against it.

Yeah because when people come in with what is said below, if you want to call people calling out dumb shit as "dog piling" then so be it. I haven't seen much flat out abuse to anyone with a logical or sensible comment, but when people say stupid shit people are going to call them out and that is fair, communication goes both ways and isn't limited to just comment and receive no feedback on said comment.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022

Drunk post already?

hersheyfan