Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
lol top 3 despite getting banned… I talk too much!

What a legendary thread. The end will be bittersweet… or just bitter if no CMA stays crazy

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, it's taking too long for me and I'm losing my patience. Some news I missed? Or some rumours?

Some of us *think* provisional findings will be out this week but it's not a certainty

MS said earliest time for close was early October so with a one week public feedback and at least one week for final report, just on their timeline this week should be the week.

But that was MS saying it, not the CMA

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Some of us *think* provisional findings will be out this week but it's not a certainty

MS said earliest time for close was early October so with a one week public feedback and at least one week for final report, just on their timeline this week should be the week.

well, they have a month left on this timeline pretty much. I would hope there's some movement soon. The CMA seemed to say they hoped to have their stuff in sooner than the deadline of Oct 18. But I think they said the same thing before and they pretty much took their entire time.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Microsoft must be screaming that this is taking so long to close while we have Unity trying to kill itself right next door.

Not that Regulators would let them buy it. I have a feeling that if it came down to Bankruptcy or Microsoft buying Unity, regulators would prefer everybody lose their jobs and the product ceasing to exist over Microsoft buying a Game Engine. Even though their Developer Tooling Division is one of the most permissive, open and affordable schemes on the planet.

Knowing the CMA they'll keep this going until the very end. They'll come back like a day before the deal expires with a pass, just for Microsoft to speedrun closing the deal in like half a day.

#TeamChaos

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
It is quite possible that earliest in MS understanding is provisional findings early October. Assuming they'd dissolve the final order with the new PF.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so Tom Warren published a bunch of documents/emails from ABK/Microsoft/Sony. There's a lot of them (8), but that one catched my eye:

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1703757618865426905?t=1M1QTjV53NBfZA1V7WI6bA&s=19
Imo it means CMA knew about Switch 2 and plans from ABK/Microsoft to release Activision's games on Nintendo, but they were acting in bad faith when they were telling about that case.

The CMA acting in bad faith? That's unheard of. ;)

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Ok, so Tom Warren published a bunch of documents/emails from ABK/Microsoft/Sony. There's a lot of them (8), but that one catched my eye:

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1703757618865426905?t=1M1QTjV53NBfZA1V7WI6bA&s=19
Imo it means CMA knew about Switch 2 and plans from ABK/Microsoft to release Activision's games on Nintendo, but they were acting in bad faith when they were telling about that case.

There are 128 new documents :p Although some of them are old but with added or excluded redacted parts.

Thanks to vixolus for the link: https://files.cand.uscourts.gov/files/23-cv-02880_FTC_v_Microsoft/

I just skimmed through a few of them and there are plenty of new details.

For example (RX0079), a meeting between Jim Ryan and analysts /portfolio managers at Fidelity post ABK and Bungie acquisitions (February 2022). The questions are from the analysts, the answers from Jim Ryan:

Q: Bungie has 1,000 employees and 20-30 years of history making games. You're counting on a big contribution from them to help you with these 10 games and help you to allocate capital effectively as well as avoid making mistakes. Is that the strategy?

A: Yes, it is. I've been talking a lot over the past couple of years with our publishing partners, many of whom are slightly farther down the road than we are in terms of live service publishing. What they al have in common is that they've made a lot of mistakes on that road. And |think one of the benefits of being a fast follower inthis space isthat ifwe're intelligent and thoughtful, we can learn from those mistakes. But these partners can be viewed as our competitors and there's a limit to what they will share. Having a premier live service publisher within the group who is extremely keen to collaborate with Sony massively increases our ability to learn and our ability to avoid the mistakes that others have made.

Q: You've made it very clear that there's going to be more acquisitions to come. What is an ideal acquisition target and what are you hoping it will help you achieve?

A: I think an ideal acquisition target has to help us deliver on our strategies in a way that we're not capable of doing on our own. And when |look at our portfolio of studios and our publishing capabilities, we need help in the areas in which we're not strong at present. We aspire to grow our community, grow engagement with our games, grow the number of people who are playing those games, grow the amount of time people are spending on those games, move across to PC and mobile, and grow the number of people playing with each other. It's in these spaces, where we don't have expertise and presence, we need to build expertise. These are some of the reasons behind the acquisition of Bungie. We have publicly stated ambitions in the area of mobile. That's part of game development that we've not been present in any meaningful extent. So, you can assume that we have an interest in acquiring development knowledge and management expertise there.

Q: Did you look at Activision as a target? Was it too big to buy?

A: We know Activision extremely well. They are probably one of our principal partners. In terms of deployment of Sony's capital, when you look at 69 billion dollars for Activision compared to 3.6 billion dollars for Bungie, we believe that Bungie can give us way more than a 69 billion acquisition of Activision. And that's before considering the relative value of that particular transaction.

Q: PlayStation is very important to Activision. In the next decade, is Microsoft going to turn off their supply of games to you?

A: I honestly believe that that will not happen. We continue to talk with Activision. I talk with Phil Spencer at Microsoft. We're having good conversations. They obviously have significant regulatory hurdles that they must navigate to get this transaction cleared. And ongoing availability of Activision games on competitive platforms is going to be central for them to be successful in that mission.

Q: Given the rapid change in competition in gaming, are there some potential M&A opportunities that are larger in size that you would consider? There are some unique software assets not focused on gaming such as Unity, Roblox and Epic for example. Are those targets you might consider going forward?

A: I go back to the comment that |made earlier that a necessary condition for us to consider when making any acquisition is whether it helps us advance our basic strategy of growing our first party publishing business across multiple formats in a way that we have not in the past. And if a potential acquisition ticks those boxes, itgoes on the list.

Q: The Game Pass business model appears to have some challenges, and Microsoft appears to be losing a lot of money on it. Because the AAA publishers spend $100 mil or more on developing titles, they are happy to sell it for $70 on PS5. The subscription model is more challenging for them. Given that environment, will Microsoft need to provide minimum revenue guarantees ifthey want those titles on Game Pass? Or do they need to go out and buy more assets like Activision to put on their platform? Are those the two options for Microsoft when trying to gain critical mass and support from the AAA publishers for Game Pass?

A: | can say with a very high degree of certainty that Microsoft has tried the first path and it did not work at all. That has driven them to make the large acquisition. |'ve talked to al the publishers, and they unanimously do not like Game Pass because it is value destructive, not only on an individual title-basis, but also on an industry level. The recent number of subscribers that Microsoft announced on January was 25 million. I am sure everyone has their own views on this, but | personally was expecting a larger number given al the money they have spent. We have close to 50 mil PS Plus subscribers. We believe we have a meaningful subscription service.

Lots of new info to digest...

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
https://files.cand.uscourts.gov/files/23-cv-02880_FTC_v_Microsoft/PX1065 (Redacted).pdf

November 2020, Xbox was given approval to approach Sega for a potential acquisition, was this known? I know they had requested strategy approval and at one point we saw a good chunk of said document, but I don't think we knew they were given approval

Yes, this one was shared earlier.

Older file has way less redactions, probably why it was taken down.

Jun 5, 2023
Q: The Game Pass business model appears to have some challenges, and Microsoft appears to be losing a lot of money on it. Because the AAA publishers spend $100 mil or more on developing titles, they are happy to sell it for $70 on PS5. The subscription model is more challenging for them. Given that environment, will Microsoft need to provide minimum revenue guarantees ifthey want those titles on Game Pass? Or do they need to go out and buy more assets like Activision to put on their platform? Are those the two options for Microsoft when trying to gain critical mass and support from the AAA publishers for Game Pass?

A: | can say with a very high degree of certainty that Microsoft has tried the first path and it did not work at all. That has driven them to make the large acquisition. |'ve talked to al the publishers, and they unanimously do not like Game Pass because it is value destructive, not only on an individual title-basis, but also on an industry level. The recent number of subscribers that Microsoft announced on January was 25 million. |am sure everyone has their own views on this, but | personally was expecting a larger number given al the money they have spent. We have close to 50 mil PS Plus subscribers. We believe we have a meaningful subscription service.

Lots of new info to digest...
This is a pretty stark and candid evaluation on the Gamepass model. I'm sure Gampass is fine, this just lets me know only Microsoft could have weathered the investment needed to build Gamepass. Imagine your solution for improving a subscription service that's loosing money is to spend 70 Billion dollars. More than that adding in Bethesda.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty stark and candid evaluation on the Gamepass model. I'm sure Gampass is fine, this just lets me know only Microsoft could have weathered the investment needed to build Gamepass. Imagine your solution for improving a subscription service that's loosing money is to spend 70 Billion dollars. More than that adding in Bethesda.
Isn't that Jim Ryan? I really don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth anymore. Of course he'll tell his investors that his business model is the best.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that Jim Ryan quote has big Ballmer "Five hundred dollars? Fully subsidized? With a plan? I said that is the most expensive phone in the world, ... And it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard. Which makes it not a very good email machine" energy.

(Ballmer was talking about the original iPhone)

Jun 5, 2023
Isn't that Jim Ryan? I really don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth anymore. Of course he'll tell his investors that his business model is the best.
I mean yeah, but it's more likely to just be the raw facts instead of the spoonful of sugar he would include if it was his numbers. You gotta remember this is business, not console wars. He has a preference but not a reason to lie. Like I said it really reframes the "sleeping giant" nature of MS as a company because they can attempt business models the other platform holders couldn't in their dreams. Situations like this one is is why they say Apple, Google and Amazon are the competition in the long run.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
It is a similar statement to what we hear about streaming in music and movie industry.
"De-evaluation" "people inside the industry not liking the model" "Numbers that are a bit vague"
It's too early to say if MS suceeded with GP or not but othsr industries are struggling to adjust to the realities of streaming,actor/writers strikes etc...
I don't want big statements like that to come from Jim Ryan or someone from Nintendo tho,gotta see what the studios and indepentent publishers think about it.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
It is a similar statement to what we hear about streaming in music and movie industry.
"De-evaluation" "people inside the industry not liking the model" "Numbers that are a bit vague"
It's too early to say if MS suceeded with GP or not but othsr industries are struggling to adjust to the realities of streaming,actor/writers strikes etc...
I don't want big statements like that to come from Jim Ryan or someone from Nintendo tho,gotta see what the studios and indepentent publishers think about it.
I do think the disruption gamepass has is scary for other players. If MS starts to roll out 4-6 high quality AAA games per year in gamepass. It will make other products less appealing to the consumer long term. (Logically why would anyone pay $70 for a game when it's in the service, unless you only play 1-2 games a year.)

Sony would be much more comfortable to keep charging $70+ per game rather than figure out a way to release 4-6 AAA games a year in a subscription service. It seems like more of a problem of scale for them.

The economics for gamepass work if you can deliver the content. Sony at its current size/release cadence cannot.

May 14, 2021
I mean yeah, but it's more likely to just be the raw facts instead of the spoonful of sugar he would include if it was his numbers. You gotta remember this is business, not console wars. He has a preference but not a reason to lie. Like I said it really reframes the "sleeping giant" nature of MS as a company because they can attempt business models the other platform holders couldn't in their dreams. Situations like this one is is why they say Apple, Google and Amazon are the competition in the long run.
He's a leader of a corporation. He has every reason to lie.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

Apple, Amazon or Google (and Meta?) could weather it in a similar way due to how diversified they are and their deep pockets. And I think that's why Microsoft is investing the way that they are. The gaming landscape will continue to change in terms of consolidation, tech evolution and gaming preferences, leaving openings for disruption by these tech giants that have more money than they know what to do with and ever demanding growth responsibility to share holders.

Some business is going to make the Netflix of gaming work. That was always going to require greater accessibility and more games exclusive to the service.

MS has the best shot at taking the top spot for a game streaming service due to their history and what they've built thus far, but it's not guaranteed. Even with ABK they will have a ways to go to make it appealing globally, meaning they have to secure even more content.

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017
Ok been skimming through some of the new documents that been unsealed on the FTC case document and found this one somewhat interesting, It's the report regrading the YouGov Survey in its entirety, without any redactions.

And Surprise, surprise; it completely debunks the FTC's claim that 20% of Playstation users would shift to Xbox if the deal goes through.

dIJcez.png

dIJwRb.png

dIJXyT.png

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
So ALL publishers hate GamePass?

But a lot of devs love it? At least that's what I remember hearing from a lot of devs.

teemoisfun

Mar 19, 2021
Brazil

But a lot of devs love it? At least that's what I remember hearing from a lot of devs.
"Every studio is going to have different opinions on this," Jacobson explained, "and different studios will have different data, because different games work well in different situations. For us, it's nothing but positive on all three platforms.
Source: Football Manager boss disputes PlayStation's "value destructive" Xbox Game Pass claim

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
It's the direct competition talking smack about Gamepass, I'd take any comments with a shaker of salt.

Yeah, I'm not buying too much into it, more just thinking that it's possible publishers hate it, but devs love it. Haha.

Source: Football Manager boss disputes PlayStation's "value destructive" Xbox Game Pass claim

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of posts about devs having it be a very good deal for them, and also some that said it wasn't as good. I trust them for sure.

But I am curious on what full publishers say. It's possible it may not be as lucrative for them, not saying I believe Jim, but I would like to hear some publishers takes on it.

Kotick said he didn't feel like putting there games on GamePass was a good business decision I think, or maybe that was just for CoD? I don't remember.

Nov 8, 2017

Although it's not stated in the interview, he is almost certainly being understood to be referring to high budget games and from the biggest publishers. Reading it now I am also not sure "hate" is intended to be literal, but perhaps it is, hard to know without being able to ask followup questions.

This is independent of whether what he says is true or not, but that's how I would read it.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Although it's not stated in the interview, he is almost certainly being understood to be referring to high budget games and from the biggest publishers. Reading it now I am also not sure "hate" is intended to be literal, but perhaps it is, hard to know without being able to ask followup questions.

This is independent of whether what he says is true or not, but that's how I would read it.

Yeah, definitely could be different ways to see it, I just want to dig deeper on it. Probably just all bs though.

Sega seems to love game pass, so I don't think his argument holds up.

Yeah, I mean there is games on there from just about every publisher, so I highly doubt they all hate it.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

The only way his comment makes any sense is if he's talking about day 1 launches - not Gamepass as a whole.

Big publishers are well represented on Gamepass- they use it to give their big games a second wind after retail sales slow down.

Nov 8, 2017
The only way his comment makes any sense is if he's talking about day 1 launches - not Gamepass as a whole.

Big publishers are well represented on Gamepass- they use it to give their big games a second wind after retail sales slow down.

Yeah you're correct, I wrote that originally but then edited my post and forgot to readd that caveat. Day one big budget stuff.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all in for a treat when you wake up, someone at MS submitted a document with attachments, in which only the main document was redacted.
I think you can see all the threads in the first page lmao

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all in for a treat when you wake up, someone at MS submitted a document with attachments, in which only the main document was redacted.
I think you can see all the threads in the first page lmao

What do you even do if you're that person? Seriously I feel so bad for them. They probably can't even breathe properly right now. Hope they have someone close with them and supportive friends.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Today the Financial Times has a big special about the CMA and the ABK saga:

The newfound influence of the UK’s competition watchdog | Financial Times

The Competition and Markets Authority has enhanced clout post-Brexit. Critics are questioning its decision-making

A few highlights:

Lawyers working on deals say the unprecedented series of events in the CMA's Microsoft/Activision saga speaks to greater uncertainty about the outcomes of its probes — something the regulator denies. "The CMA said this was a new merger, but it isn't," says Ronan Scanlan, who spent four years at the regulator before moving to law firm Arthur Cox. "This is the emperor's new clothes. It's a bait and switch."

My impression is that [global merger control] has become a bit more unpredictable now and confused," says Vittorio Colao, who was chief executive of Vodafone when the telecoms group was pursuing the €19bn acquisition of Liberty Global's European cable assets.

I'll share more later!

Sangral