delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
In 2015, we took you on a photo tour of the Museum of Pinball, home to one of the world's largest collections of pinball and arcade games under one roof. Since then, the number of games grew by hundreds; the last official count was "over 1,100."

Sadly, the museum is closing for good (and being replaced by a cannabis-growing operation). An attempt to relocate the museum to Palm Springs, California, failed, and the entire collection of games will be going up for auction soon.

We'll miss the museum and the amazing array of games. The auction will be one to watch.

arstechnica.com

The massive Museum of Pinball is closing its doors for good

All good things must end—come take one more look at a special collection.

Auction me off if old.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn.

It felt like arcades were having a moment during the 2010s, but that's probably cooling off because of COVID.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I never even knew there was a massive Pinball Museum in CA. Only knew of the Vegas one which is a great location. This sucks. More Pinball museums the better at preservation.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That's tragic, pinball is probably the biggest gaming experience that can't be truly preserved without tons of physical space. Sure you can make digital versions of real cabinets with perfect physics that make it "feel" like the real thing, but it'll never replace the real thing.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to somehow preserve the machines all in one place if possible. Without it a collection like this may never exist again. :(

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
fuck that's terrible.

also, the site's new "look" confuse the hell out of me. I read the thread title as "Good News," and thought OP was a cold-blooded jerk.

HtxLNxm.png

Aug 30, 2020
This is one I wish I could have seen.

I did get to see the pinball museum that used to be in Baltimore that closed about 7 years back. Not really that big but it was still great.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That's tragic, pinball is probably the biggest gaming experience that can't be truly preserved without tons of physical space. Sure you can make digital versions of real cabinets with perfect physics that make it "feel" like the real thing, but it'll never replace the real thing.

Not saying it replaces it, but something like Visual Pinball X in VR is absolutely amazing. It's not even that difficult to setup anymore. Assuming you just run "VR Rooms" where all of the fussy stuff has already been implemented for you.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pinball museum in Alameda, CA that I enjoyed going to. This thread spurred me to look them up. Thankfully it seems they're still going.
www.pacificpinball.org

Pacific Pinball Museum | Alameda, CA

The Pacific Pinball Museum is an interactive museum offering 90 playable pinball machines that span decades. Unlimited play with admission.

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, I pass by there when going up to Idyllwild a couple times a year and had no idea it existed. Would have loved to visit it. Hopefully the machines find good homes.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
Not owning the space you're in is what will kill every retro pinball arcade/museum. Every single time.

This place confused me.
it was a giant warehouse full of pinball machines, but had incredibly limited hours - that I think were limited to special events.

I never went, because it was hardly ever open. And when it was open, it seemed like a giant horde of people would've been there.

This unfortunately doesn't surprise me.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017