DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNOS5ofQhw
Synopsis: From the Oscar® winning producer of Oppenheimer, the kinetic action thriller stars Emmy nominee Nathalie Emmanuel (The Fast Saga, Game of Thrones) as Zee, a mysterious and infamous assassin known, and feared, in the Parisian underworld as the Queen of the Dead.

But when, during an assignment from her shadowy mentor and handler (Avatar's Sam Worthington), Zee refuses to kill a blinded young woman (Diana Silvers; Ma, Booksmart) in a Paris nightclub, the decision will disintegrate Zee's alliances, attract the attention of a savvy police investigator (Golden Globe nominee Omar Sy; Jurassic World franchise, Lupin), and plunge her into a sinister criminal conspiracy that will set her on a collision course with her own past.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Screenshot-2024-07-17-023005.png

A dove and an explosion in the same still.

Yes this is a John Woo production

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
This actually looks WAAAY better than I thought. I dunno, I suspected this would have a look similar to The Contintental or something IE: Cheap

There is some serious Hard Target vibe shots in that trailer!

I love that John got to experiment with the viligant genre with Silent Night, where the action was more restrained n' grounded for the most part. This on the other hand, looks like a true return to form for Woo.

Summer

Oct 27, 2017
London
Wait is this a remake of the original (from 1989 with Chow Yun Fat)? It kinda looks like it but also not lol. Either way it looks terrible.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
is manhunt any good?
Its been sitting in my netflix watchlist forever and each time I think of watching it something else catches my eye lol

It's.... strange

Like, it comes off as K/J-Drama mostly throughout with corny music ques and the like.

But then a random action scene shows up that is Pure John Woo.

It's weird. I never finished though.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
is manhunt any good?
Its been sitting in my netflix watchlist forever and each time I think of watching it something else catches my eye lol
i loved it, i obviously am gonna prefer the 80s and 90s work he did but it's definitely leaning further into comedy than anything else. i think the action in silent night was actually better, but the story of manhunt hit harder

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's.... strange

Like, it comes off as K/J-Drama mostly throughout with corny music ques and the like.

But then a random action scene shows up that is Pure John Woo.

It's weird. I never finished though.

i loved it, i obviously am gonna prefer the 80s and 90s work he did but it's definitely leaning further into comedy than anything else. i think the action in silent night was actually better, but the story of manhunt hit harder

Ok, I'll make it my next movie i watch haha.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Original movie is such a classic masterpiece (and amazing it was practically shot without a script)

View: https://giphy.com/gifs/killer-thekiller-johnwoo-bCFSlvt2F5knx45nRk

Will watch this out of morbid curiosity

Yeah, it kinda sucks cause they have what looks like a Church Set Piece in the remake, but with nowhere near the scale (lack of destruction, squibs, countless goons, etc.)
I mean, I accept that we'll never get HK shootouts like that ever again, but still...

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
Silent Night worth a look?

This sounds worth checking out...
again, silent night is an absurdist-ass transcendent action film, it's more like a dream and exercise in dialogue-less filmmaking than a showpiece action film, if you're not trying to laugh or enjoy everything that goes into film production then you wont have as much fun

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This has NBC network TV action procedural written all over it. She feels miscast but she looks great in the outfits. I hope it's at least mindless fun.

Nov 26, 2017
John Woo's The Killer is one of my all time favorite films. Looks like it follow the original movie closely.
You can see the ending graveyard/church is the big shoot out like the original movie.
I will check it out it looks like an ok time. Suck the original is out of print and so hard to license.

Also sad we did not get the Walter Hill remake version in the 90's

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Looks terrible, not sure why you'd get Sam Worthington to do an irish accent but it's hilarious.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm not sure why Woo felt the need to remake The Killer, but who knows, it might turn out OK.

I do like that there's a bunch of callbacks to classic Woo stunts/setpieces in the trailer.

Oct 28, 2017
The Killer might be my favorite movie ever, period.

This lacks all the style and energy and grit of that movie. This looks antiseptic in comparison to the original.

Outside of that his and Robert Rodriguez, El Mariachi how many directors do remakes of their own movies????

Ld007

Jun 1, 2024
For me the original is his best film by far.
I will watch this with an open mind.

Oct 28, 2017
I guess we watched different previews, this looks good to me

You know what...you're right. If this wasn't a remake of argubly the greatest action movie of all time it would be a fine trailer with a decent look to it. But it's "THE KILLER", not only the greatest action movie it's also the back drop for one of the greatest Rap Albums of all time "Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx"

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
You know what...you're right. If this wasn't a remake of argubly the greatest action movie of all time it would be a fine trailer with a decent look to it. But it's "THE KILLER", not only the greatest action movie it's also the back drop for one of the greatest Rap Albums of all time "Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx"

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
I love that album and I love that movie. This still looked good to me

*Shrugs