Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmyGkuDzpk

GameMill Entertainment has announced The Karate Kid: Street Rumble, a 16-bit-styled multiplayer side-scrolling beat-'em-up. It's in development for PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch, and it's due to be released on September 20.

Decently cute sprite art, but also... Gamemill's spotty-at-best track-record.

Seems a bit thin though. For a movie series like The Karate Kid, you'd atleast try and pull more from the iconography or music etc.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Looks better than i expected, which to be fair wasnt much. Could be a nice pick up down the line.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
the problem with all these nostalgia bait beat-em-ups is they all came out after Shredder's Revenge. we're good. we're sorted

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, sorry, Power Rangers is about to render Shredder's Revenge obsolete. Once Power Rangers comes out, I'll agree

I'll say that one at least recognises it needs to bring something new to the table, with all those "I'm sure there's a better phrase for it but I'm gonna call it Mode 7" bits

hopefully it plays well too

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
Wasn't expecting much 'til I saw the graphics.

Is there some new tech/middleware for making 2D sprites that makes them much more affordable to do now? The Toxic Crusaders beat 'em up is another pocket IP I did not expect to see.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Looks kinda nice visually, but who knows if it'll actually play well.
Game feel is extremely important in a beat'em up. Attacks have to feel impactfull and satisfying and you need good enemy variety.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This makes no sense as a 4player beat em up, which kinda makes perfect sense to the arcade/snes days

I am in, love that it is a 4 player beat em up xD

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think this looks great! I love the stages set from scenes in the movies and the playable heroes.

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They should include shit from the cartoon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFz2ElerHnM

I swear everything after the first movie feels like Daniel went full weeb and just started spouting the corniest bullshit. "Oh yeah, then my teacher was called to a battle of the death in Okinawa, and I went with him. Then I met this hot girl there who totally dug me, and then I saved her when a guy tried to kill us both. Then we went on adventures and fought international terrorists."

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Decently cute sprite art, but also... Gamemill's spotty-at-best track-record.

GameMill's first Cobra Kai beat-em-up was very good with lots of fun references to fighting games, never bothered with the second one though since it went full 3D and was apparently not nearly as solid. This one looks pretty decent though so I wouldn't write it off just because of the publisher.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This looks a little too similar to the GI Joe beat'em'up that they've been showing off lately for me to be comfortable.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
are these retro brawlers cheap to make or something, feels like there's a bunch of them out there

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I know I could look it up, but what's with Game Mill's history? Their name kinda brings to mind Tokyo RPG Factory in terms of genericness, but I'm just not familiar with their stuff, or at least I've never taken notice. Thanks.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
If it's priced right, I'm in!

I haven't seen the old movies in awhile but where the 2 female characters shown martial artists/know how to fight? Why not Hillary Swank's Karate Kid?

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This looks a little too similar to the GI Joe beat'em'up that they've been showing off lately for me to be comfortable.
Nah. This looks more professionally made than the Joe one.
the Joe game looks like it's visuals are drawn by someone who has never seen a fighting move in their life. I've never seen so awkward looking attacks in a beat'em up.
Duke looks like he's never been in a fight once in his life with how awkward he looks.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. This looks more professionally made than the Joe one.
the Joe game looks like it's visuals are drawn by someone who has never seen a fighting move in their life. I've never seen so awkward looking attacks in a beat'em up.
Duke looks like he's never been in a fight once in his life with how awkward he looks.

I mean in more how each attack doesn't seem to have an effect on the opposing body, so you're just laying punches into something that's actively moving around as if it has hyper armor, until it falls down.

The game LOOKS great, it's combat engine has me extremely worried.

I find it so odd that people just didn't try and wholesale steal SOR4's combat engine, instead going back to older games like the 6 player x-men because...nostalgia I guess.

Nov 3, 2023
Iowa
TMNT, Power Rangers, and now Karate Kid (plus stuff like Towerborne), I am loving all these side crawler beat-'em-ups, my childhood nostalgia is feasting.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I mean in more how each attack doesn't seem to have an effect on the opposing body, so you're just laying punches into something that's actively moving around as if it has hyper armor, until it falls down.

The game LOOKS great, it's combat engine has me extremely worried.

I find it so odd that people just didn't try and wholesale steal SOR4's combat engine, instead going back to older games like the 6 player x-men because...nostalgia I guess.
There does seem to be SOME hit reactions in there but yeah it doesn't look like there's much omph to the combat. Shame.
It's like the most important part of a beat'em up!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
If it's priced right, I'm in!

I haven't seen the old movies in awhile but where the 2 female characters shown martial artists/know how to fight? Why not Hillary Swank's Karate Kid?
If it's set in the 80s, there's no point to including Hillary Swank's character unless she was a child. I'm guessing those are "takes" on Ali Mills and Kumiko, who weren't fighters in the movies but main characters enough to re-interpret them into playable characters in a BEU.

TMNT, Power Rangers, and now Karate Kid (plus stuff like Towerborne), I am loving all these side crawler beat-'em-ups, my childhood nostalgia is feasting.
I'm there with ya! I know some people are feeling BEU fatigue or want each BEU to strive to push the envelope, and yeah, that's fine, but I was raised in an era where when I went to an arcade, I didn't care what new features it brought to the table, I plopped my quarter in and gladly played any BEU on the floor. I mean, I even played DJ Boy, and that game's fuckin RACIST!!! People complain how simple Konami's The Simpsons Arcade and X-Men BEU arcade games are, but I could, to this day, play them and lose myself to the experience. So yeah, I'm not feeling fatigued, I'm feeling like I did back in the early 90s, arms open to embrace this next coming of BEUs. The only reason I stopped playing new BEUs in the arcades and at home was when they went out of trend and companies stopped makin' them. It wasn't because I got tired of 'em.

Can't wait until they make one of these based on Streets of Fire.
And The Last Dragon, which was already a "Beat 'Em Up" styled movie.

Last edited:

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be more interested if it wasn't being made by Game Mill. Will see how reviews pan out.

Nov 3, 2023
Iowa
I'm there with ya! I know some people are feeling BEU fatigue or want each BEU to strive to push the envelope, and yeah, that's fine, but I was raised in an era where when I went to an arcade, I didn't care what new features it brought to the table, I plopped my quarter in and gladly played any BEU on the floor. I mean, I even played DJ Boy, and that game's fuckin RACIST!!! People complain how simple Konami's The Simpsons Arcade and X-Men BEU arcade games are, but I could, to this day, play them and lose myself to the experience. So yeah, I'm not feeling fatigued, I'm feeling like I did back in the early 90s, arms open to embrace this next coming of BEUs. The only reason I stopped playing new BEUs in the arcades and at home was when they went out of trend and companies stopped makin' them. It wasn't because I got tired of 'em.

Bungie said it best, nail that 30 seconds of fun, and people will play it.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, here's a list of beat em ups based on 80s, 90s and 00s IPs that are coming up.

Toxic Crusaders
G.I. Joe Wrath of Cobra
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Rita's Rewind
Jay and Silent Bob: Chronic Blunt Punch
The Karate Kid: Street Rumble

And I'll play all of them!

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Am i the one who finds it weird is karate kid and not cobra kai? Cobra Kai has to be a much bigger brand. Yes i know there are two cobra kai games already but i still find it weird. The first cobra kai game was a pleasant surprise. Has really good gameplay mechanics. Havent played the second one just yet but will soon since the new season is starting.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Okay, here's a list of beat em ups based on 80s, 90s and 00s IPs that are coming up.

Toxic Crusaders
G.I. Joe Wrath of Cobra
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Rita's Rewind
Jay and Silent Bob: Chronic Blunt Punch
The Karate Kid: Street Rumble

And I'll play all of them!
I'm still waiting for Capcom to confirm that alleged Final Fight remake or reboot or whatever was in that leak.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
That's a rad pixel art style.

Pretty nice of the license holders to let them go wild with the ip and let the girls fight.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Obvious day 1 for me since not only am I a beat em up fanboy, but pixel art and a nostalgic series really cemented a double dip if a physical version is available.

I hope they go through the original trilogy because Terry Silver makes for a great final video game boss. He's always reminded me of Geese Howard.

Also, can someone please do a game based on The Real Ghostbusters? You can either do something top down or something akin to Alien Storm. I just need a good Ghostbusters game based on the cartoon with gorgeous pixel art because we should have gotten one in the late 80's or early 90's.

I honestly don't care if these games don't bring anything new. I just want fun beat em ups with great pixel art. If there's something new brought to the table, fine, if not, I'm more than happy with something safe in a situation like this, as long as the attacks feel like they have impact.

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
They should include shit from the cartoon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFz2ElerHnM

I swear everything after the first movie feels like Daniel went full weeb and just started spouting the corniest bullshit. "Oh yeah, then my teacher was called to a battle of the death in Okinawa, and I went with him. Then I met this hot girl there who totally dug me, and then I saved her when a guy tried to kill us both. Then we went on adventures and fought international terrorists."

Wtf there was a cartoon?

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Problem with these retro beat 'em ups is they mainly all play the same. A few attack strings and then a special move. We need more beat 'em ups with juggles and more expression. Can't say it looks bad though and Karate Kid is a fun franchise to make this style game in so def will keep my eye on it

Some of them play better than others like Streets of Rage 4 or Shredders Revenge, both games have really great juggle systems. Fight 'n Rage is GOATed too.

Hopeful that the new Double Dragon Revive maybe scratches that itch for me.