Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Mmm, can we not push some dude and a book that leans into the idea that being trans is a social contagion please.

Also known as the cofounder of Heterodox Academy that regularly gives oxygen to anti-trans bigots and other right-wing views.

Like maybe we can give this guy a miss when it comes to the whole 'he has a few good points' thing?

www.transgendermap.com

Heterodox Academy vs. transgender people

Heterodox Academy (HxA) is an American organization that promotes “viewpoint diversity” in academia, by which they mean conservatism and reactionary populism. HxA frequently promotes an…
https://juliaserano.medium.com/all-the-evidence-against-transgender-social-contagion-f82fbda9c5d4

Agreed, completely forgot about his transphobia!

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
I see people talking about phones in classroom and banning vs not banning, but maybe it was just my school district from years ago (30 now, graduated HS in 2011), but we were never allowed to have phones out. Did something change? I know iPhones are like $1000 now and not everyone had them back then, but I am always puzzled by the push back of allowing phones or whenever phones became useable in classroom since it never was that way for me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I see people talking about phones in classroom and banning vs not banning, but maybe it was just my school district from years ago (30 now, graduated HS in 2011), but we were never allowed to have phones out. Did something change? I know iPhones are like $1000 now and not everyone had them back then, but I am always puzzled by the push back of allowing phones or whenever phones became useable in classroom since it never was that way for me.

We had people in a previous thread against it saying they need to be able to contact their child every second of the day

Feb 10, 2024
Phone use is still "banned" during class for most schools, but it's increasingly becoming less enforced. Admins increasingly don't want to penalize kids either. Classroom activities moving towards tablets/Chromebooks has been detrimental too, especially for grade schoolers.

It's a worse problem outside the classrooms. Kids are so tied to their phones it's hurting their socialization inside schools. Lessing chatting with classmates during lunch, more scrolling on social media.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
it's probably a part of it

another (bigger?) part is probably the hyper capitalist and hyper individualistic society we've created

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

If nothing else, phones occupy an entirely different role in society than 30 years ago, and I would argue there's a lot of weight behind the idea that it's a "general life" assistant, for all the problems that perspective bring.

That kind of ambient pressure will affect how people design policy around it, likely with a bias towards treating it as being essential

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember listening to his episode and the follow up on Hard Fork. Though they were good episodes, didn't know about the transphobia stuff at the time.

It sucks that he is a piece of shit because I think there is a really interesting discussion to be had here - after his episode the hosts said they got a TON of viewer feedback from both sides of the argument, both young and old, on the influence of social media.

EchizenKurage

Apr 4, 2024
Dallas, TX
The Internet is a mirror. Millennials were the first generation to experience the hyper-self-consciousness of being hooked up to a hivemind. The more self-aware man is the more prone he is to neuroses, fractures, and fears.

I can't fathom the damage being done to gen Z with monoculture and tiktok and the rest

Feb 10, 2024
It's been in decline before then. It cannot be solely attributed to social media.
I suggest you read the evidence this book and article are based on. Literally every metric has shown a huge increases in the rates of mental illnesses/wellbeing decline since the early 2010s. This isn't a general decline going on since the 90s as you say. And there's direct causative data linking declines in mental wellbeing with increased social media use.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't have to listen to Haidt to realize that anyone spending large amounts of time on social media will lead to mental health issues and that negative social effects of all tech for adults will be magnified for minors. Even if some of his specific claims are off base he's clearly pointing at the main culprit of the contemporary mental health epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.