Ché

Oct 14, 2022
Canada

tlou-last.gif

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Poster #1: "I didn't see any marketing for <Movie> whatsoever!"
Poster #1 in another thread: "I never watch TV anymore and I always have uBlock Origin running in my browser"

Poster #2: "$200 million budgets for Pixar movies is crazy!"
Poster #2 in another thread: "Disney laid off over a hundred Pixar staff just to outsource animation overseas? Fuck those greedy corporate assholes. Hope everyone lands on their feet."

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Poster #1: "I didn't see any marketing for <Movie> whatsoever!"
Poster #1 in another thread: "I never watch TV anymore and I always have uBlock Origin running in my browser"

Poster #2: "$200 million budgets for Pixar movies is crazy!"
Poster #2 in another thread: "Disney laid off over a hundred Pixar staff just to outsource animation overseas? Fuck those greedy corporate assholes. Hope everyone lands on their feet."
Dood you gotta stop sifting through my post history. It's rood.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's too early to be calling Wish a bomb, Disney's Musicals tend to be big money earners and Encanto still holds the record for an Original IP debut in animation, and that's with it also being announced to be on Disney Plus on Christmas Day as it was releasing in cinema. And Wish has a similar Thanksgiving Weekend slot to Encanto. I imagine Disneys Marketing will include one of the bigger songs of the film, if that breaks out like the Encanto soundtrack did, it'll should see success.

But it is the case original IP has been struggling, after Encanto the next best debut for Original IP in animation has been... Elemental. Huh. Yeah that sorta puts into perspective how much Original IP is struggling at the moment.

And if Wish can't do it, the next original IP after that is Illuminations Migration which... well, reading the Wiki it's sounds like a generic road trip film setup with ducks and a lot of Celebrity Voice Acting, so that really could go either way depending on how good Illumination marketing campaign goes. No established IP for that one to fall back on though so that'll have to rely on the Illumination name alone.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Is more impressive to me that Pixar budget has remained 200 million. Since Toy Story 3, that's how much their movies have cost. They'll probably going to cut those budgets if their movies keep bombing.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Is more impressive to me that Pixar budget has remained 200 million. Since Toy Story 3, that's how much their movies have cost. They'll probably going to cut those budgets if their movies keep bombing.

Main reason they keep most of the animation local rather than outsourcing overseas.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
uhhh is there a Flash OT?

haha was considering checking it out tonight but curious on the impressions
www.resetera.com

The Flash spoiler thread - let's go nuts.

Movie's out today in Europe at least, just home from it. THERAPY DOG IS THE BEST DOG. For me it was the best credits roll sequence in Marvel or DC movie history. And that's about the best thing the movie's got going for it, tbh.
That's where people have been discussing the movie.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Oh wow, Spider-verse almost beat out Flash on Juneteenth. I wonder if it might actually be able to leapfrog it next weekend haha

Jun 12, 2022
I think it's too early to be calling Wish a bomb, Disney's Musicals tend to be big money earners and Encanto still holds the record for an Original IP debut in animation, and that's with it also being announced to be on Disney Plus on Christmas Day as it was releasing in cinema. And Wish has a similar Thanksgiving Weekend slot to Encanto. I imagine Disneys Marketing will include one of the bigger songs of the film, if that breaks out like the Encanto soundtrack did, it'll should see success.

But it is the case original IP has been struggling, after Encanto the next best debut for Original IP in animation has been... Elemental. Huh. Yeah that sorta puts into perspective how much Original IP is struggling at the moment.

And if Wish can't do it, the next original IP after that is Illuminations Migration which... well, reading the Wiki it's sounds like a generic road trip film setup with ducks and a lot of Celebrity Voice Acting, so that really could go either way depending on how good Illumination marketing campaign goes. No established IP for that one to fall back on though so that'll have to rely on the Illumination name alone.

It's directed by Benjamin Renner who also directed Ernest and Celestine so I'm hoping that bodes well for it's quality compared to Illumination's usual output.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's directed by Benjamin Renner who also directed Ernest and Celestine so I'm hoping that bodes well for it's quality compared to Illumination's usual output.

Benjamin Renner the only reason I haven't fully written it off yet to be honest. Which means the characters might not be terrible, the plot setup is pretty basic though.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Flash. It was great.

Saw it earlier too, had a lot of fun as well. I was literally the only person in the screen. This was at 2pm on a day where town was packed and plenty of kids had finished school already. Can't say I was upset I was alone in the screen, made it even better tbh haha.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the animation looks rough but I just watched the official trailer a user posted and it actually looks really interesting!

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Elemental's marketing has been absolute trash. How am I just finding out now it's a 1st generation immigrant rom-com? JFC
That seems to be the pattern. This and Strange World hasn't been getting a bigger marketing push, leading to low sales. It's no secret Disney's marketing is all put into established IPs like Star Wars.

WhatsInDaBox

Banned
Jan 24, 2023
Elemental will end up making more than Flash in the states.

That Monday number is horrendous. Its going to sink so fast

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Migration probably has a budget of like $80 million. I doubt there's a chance of it bombing hard.

Has illumination even had a bomb?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Migration probably has a budget of like $80 million. I doubt there's a chance of it bombing hard.

Hop maybe? I don't think it's a bomb since it made $184m off a $63m budget but it's by far their worst performing film and their worst reviewed critically. They haven't attempted Live Action Hybrids since because of it (Which is probably for the best)

Secret Life Of Pets also had a massive drop from it's first film ($885m) to it's second ($430m) but it only had a budget of $80m so again can't really call that a bomb.

There's a reason why NIntendo went with them for the Mario film, they were easily the safest choice in making money in Hollywood at the moment. Even if Critially they've never really stood out. Landing consistently in that 50s-60s range on Rotten Tomatoes is somewhat impressive though. Consistant mediocrity.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

Illumination plays it very safe.

They struck gold with Minions and half of their top 10 films have them in it. 3 films are based on established ip (Grinch, Lorax, Mario). Sing and SLOP have been their biggest hits outside of those (SLOP 2 was a big disappointment).

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Elemental will definitely shake things up at Pixar and Disney will now be all over them.

Disneys golden goose is having serious problems laying golden eggs.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Never mind being done with WB, Ezra's Hollywood career is over right? Can't see any studios wanting to deal with them. They might have to head to Europe or do small indie movies since there will always be productions willing to work with creeps.

I hope we get Wally West someday, even if it's a DCU canon tv show or a team movie.

Last edited: