Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
coveriec7x.jpg

Test Schedule
- PDT(UTC-7) 2022.10.20 00:00 ~ 2022.10.26 23:59

store.steampowered.com

The First Descendant on Steam

The First Descendant is a third-person looter shooter powered by Unreal Engine 5. Become a Descendant. Fight for the survival of humanity. Descendants have unique abilities to tackle both solo and co-op missions. Up to 4 players use varied mechanics to defeat giant bosses. BE THE FIRST DESCENDANT!

Final release out on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series.

01x0ekk.jpg

02pvfiw.jpg

03jiekj.jpg

047nc1r.jpg

charactersuziuo.jpg

More info on character abilities and lore on:

THE FIRST DESCENDANT

Be the first Descendant and experience a dynamic co-op shooting action.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cx6-iZN-6Q&t=1s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwhmI8uBZvA

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's always disappointing when you see cool games like this and you find out you only play as pre-made characters.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It looks quite nice but i can't stand the UE4 standard lighting more and more games are using. Reminds me of the samey looking UE3 games.

And how hard is it to not make exclusively white characters available? At the very, tiny, least give your users the ability to change skin tones.

As much as i'm not against boob windows all of the time i don't understand why every single female character needs to be sexualized in some kind of way. 3 out of 4 women are blatantly showing skin for no reason and even the one with a scarf has to show skin...

The males are boring aswell. This looks like character designs out of the early 2000s.

No older characters or anything unique about them.

Seraphs

Banned
Sep 22, 2022
I used to play maplestory a lot back then, nexon game have a lot of content, i will try this for sure.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
From the previews I watched the game seems quite shallow and the entire grinding/monetization was masked which is a warning sign. Still the game seems like it has fun gameplay moments, so will try it out at least. Glad the PC aspects seem solid, namely the UltraWide support and presentation.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
Dear game developers. IF we like boobs so much, then maybe armor them up so they have a chance of surviving in combat?

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
Requested access to the beta a few days ago after randomly discovering this on Youtube, looks amazing graphically. The previews make it sound like the gameplay loop/objectives are pretty bland with little variety, but the combat is solid. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Been watching footage of this game, and the graphics are really amazing, low key one of the prettiest TPS i can think of, fingers crossed they let me in on the beta.

WORLDVIEW

only the whites survived
For the record, there is a very well designed fully voiced black NPC in some footage out there that helps you in what seems to be a quest.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Got an invitation. I assume most people will get one since this is not as popular as Diablo IV for instance.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
This is live now. Been playing it a bit, combat and movement feels really good imo. It also looks great although I don't know if it's actually using Lumen.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty lacking in options in this beta, and my controller keeps interfering with my mouse and keyboard input, had to go into steam to disable steam input.

During cutscenes, every camera cut gets a stutter, I tend to think it's an engine issue. I'm running at 1440p on very high with dlss on high quality, game is installed on a ssd, with 3090, 10900k and 32g of ram.

Last edited:

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Dang does it have to be so early for a game to bring my 4090 to its knees lol, dialing settings down too much left me CPU locked instead of GPU. 90FPS on high settings seems to be the sweet spot

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
Tried this a bit. It seems fine, a bit of Warframe mixed with Destiny, but goddam those stutters, they are really getting in the way.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to try on my ancient RX 480

It supports FSR2.1 and XeSS... maybe the first game I'm going to try that supports FSR 2

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Nice graphics and it has Geralt voicing one of the characters

Outside of that, this game is not gonna get much traction.
Gameplay is floaty and not satisfying, menus are terrible.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Consider me sold. It has Outriders DNA all over it. very arcadey, fast paced, with tons of enemies and the grappling hook is actually pretty fun to use.

I also like the rune system, you just equip the runes according to the weapon type, and it any weapon of that particular type you equip will proc the rune effects.

The bad:
Performance is all over the place, they must iron it out. I'm on a 6900xt on 2K and couldn't stay at 60 FPS consistently.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Very pretty game (very taxing on my PC). The loop is repetitive, it will probably go the way of the dodo like all the other games of this style.
It's very Warframe-y.

Yulizh

Aug 21, 2022
Very pretty game (very taxing on my PC). The loop is repetitive, it will probably go the way of the dodo like all the other games of this style.
It's very Warframe-y.
I feel the same way, it's pretty much warframe but with boring movement, no melee combos, and slightly boring skills.
It's a bit stuttery on a 3070 at 1080p with balanced DLSS.
The characters keep repeating the same 3 voicelines almost everytime you reload, use your abilities, kill an enemy, it's extremely annoying (Viessa, I'm talking about you).
It's pretty, though.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Played some more today in 4K with FSR 2.1 quality. Run pretty well actually, IQ looked great. Also, i noticed that going from high to medium settings really aleviated the stress on the GPU while offering very little visuals trade off, i didn't notice any difference.

Also did a void intercept boss battle, pretty cool, shame there wasn't a dungeon and it was just the boss.

I'm having a great time doing the campaing so far, i just wish the character showed some more personallity during the story beats.

I feel the same way, it's pretty much warframe but with boring movement, no melee combos, and slightly boring skills.
It's a bit stuttery on a 3070 at 1080p with balanced DLSS.
The characters keep repeating the same 3 voicelines almost everytime you reload, use your abilities, kill an enemy, it's extremely annoying (Viessa, I'm talking about you).
It's pretty, though.
Playing Ajax, same thing, they must adress that.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Finished most of the content I think.

Outriders + Warframe, it has some of the good with a lot of the bad that warframe steered away from.

The voice acting is killing me, just shutup when I do something, that really grinded down the enjoyment after hours.

They could also majorly rework several characters to make them not so samey as others.

This has potential but if it released like this it would be in its grave within a year.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nexon Games...sexist and sexually objectified female designs...

Oh wait this is the same company that kicked out women after they supported feminism. Same with Smilegate (Crossfire, Lost Ark). These companies embolden gamers to witch hunt female developers with any inkling they might support any women's rights issues or actions. Yeah I'd never support any companies that strengthen gamergate tactics.

www.npr.org

South Korea Is Contending With A 'Gamergate' Of Its Own — Over A T-Shirt

Controversial online feminist movement Megalia has been pushing against sexism and harassment of women in South Korea. A recent photo posted by a voice actress has sparked a new standoff with critics.
img_20160729_105157-ab8e6670e814aa7aef437c760d0ebb7e2bf58216-s900-c85.webp

When Kim's tweet surfaced on July 18, scores of male gamers demanded that she apologize for supporting what they call a "anti-man hate group." When Kim refused to budge, they bombarded Nexon, her employer and publisher of Closers, with complaints and refund requests, and soon, she was out.

"We have to be responsive to our customers' opinions," Nexon told The Hankyoreh, a South Korean news outlet. "The voice actress exacerbated the issue by posting inflammatory tweets such as 'what's wrong with supporting Megalia?'"

After Kim Jayeon's departure from Nexon, other voice actors, webcomic artists and musicians who chided Nexon's handling of her situation faced mounting pressure by online hordes to reverse their stances. "Over 80 people were badgered into issuing public apologies," says Lee Junhaeng, a South Korean computer programmer and columnist.

"It's basically the South Korean Gamergate," Kim Hwanmin says about the escalation of accusations since the actress's tweet.​

sg.news.yahoo.com

Dark side of play for S. Korea's female game makers

When US video-game maker Riot Games held a highly anticipated League of Legends championship match in South Korea last year, about half the spectators in the packed arena were women. While the pastime is traditionally seen as the preserve of young men, the number of female gamers in hyper-wired...
Another major developer, Smilegate, promised last month to remove images by female illustrators accused by gamers of being linked to the group for writing or retweeting posts about women's rights issues.​

Many gamers monitor female developers to check whether any of their tweets, retweets or likes involve feminism, and file complaints to their employers with boycott threats, multiple industry sources told AFP. All of them refused to be named, fearful of consequences for their careers or a backlash against their employers. "These gamers relentlessly attack whoever posts anything slightly related to women's rights issues, and label the person a Megalia supporter who should be sacked immediately," said one senior manager at an online game firm. "Game sales could go down very quickly if we don't cave in," she added, saying many firms in the ultra-competitive industry end up removing accused staff. The female CEO of one gaming company said that Nexon's move in 2016 had emboldened and convinced many gamers that they had a "right to witch-hunt" female developers. Many workers now take extra caution on social media and avoid posting "anything remotely related to women's rights issues", she said. "It's common sense that one should not be punished at the workplace for personal beliefs that have nothing to do with work," said the CEO. "But that common sense is not accepted at all in this industry right now, especially for women."​

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
this reminded me. i signed up and checked my email, found the invitation in the trash. thanks!

this thing is putting a hurting on my 12600k+2070s at 1440p even with dlss performance. could just be beta blues or?

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Wccftech has an interview up where they confirm that only software raytracing is used in the beta.

wccftech.com

The First Descendant Q&A on the Game, UE5 Implementation, and Future DLSS 3 Support

We interviewed the team behind The First Descendant, the first Unreal Engine 5 game to be playable, a PvE third-person looter shooter.

Will there be any ray tracing support in the game? What about upscaling techniques like DLSS 3, FSR 2, or Intel XeSS on PC?

We will, of course, support ray tracing. However, for various reasons, the recent beta only supported UE5's software ray tracing. Moreover, for the upscaling, we'll support DLSS, FSR, and Intel's XeSS. FRS and XeSS will all be up to date, and we'll support up to DLSS 2. As for DLSS 3, we have plans to support it at a later date.

Guess this is why I didn't see the high fidelity I expected from UE5. Software RT looks considerably worse. Looking forward to the final game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got in the beta. But the negativity around how empty, boring and repetitive the gameplay loop is made it so I just haven't touched it. I don't think I've seen a single positive thing about it outside graphics/animations.

Jun 1, 2021
Final weekend test is up on PC only. Still find it quite fun. Grapple hook feels better this test too.

Looking forward to it launching and trying it for real. Always hard to get a real feel for it in these tests.