Nov 8, 2018
I love the Epaulette Shark. It's a fish that is seemingly living proof of evolution in progress.

It lives in the water, but goes on land to breathe air and then flomps back into the water. Which means we can witness a sea animal which is partially through its progress from moving from the ocean, to land. Much like our ancestors hundreds of millions of years ago.

Here's a picture of it walking

walking-shark-shutterstock-izen-kai.jpg

And here's another picture.

p02q7wnl.jpg

I think it's a fantastic creature and wanted to give it a spotlight.

Nov 4, 2017
Evolution doesn't really have goals like "move onto land". There are fish able to spend time on land which have been that way for hundreds of millions of years. While they may appear to be transitional when viewed in retrospect, they are not all in some kind of race to go from ocean to land.

That is a dope looking animal though.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Funny thing is, want to know other proof of evolution in progress?

Everything. Everything is proof. You just think that species have reached some sort of end state.

Also, we're living in Covid times. Covid has gone through the Greek alphabet, and is in software release stage, Omega 1.0001.2.Beta. What do they think is happening, God is coming down and going all, last version didn't work, time for a new one?

LazyGradient

Nov 9, 2020
I think bashing the OP for his phrasing is a bit harsh. Did you mean: It gives us a glimpse of what happened earlier in our own evolotionary history?

It's cool to see that land breathing can evolve on seperate occasions though! Also my bud the Mudskipper which is an amphibious fish!

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few aquariums have epaulette sharks you can touch (since they are small, they aren't aggressive)
As an aquarium volunteer, I've seen them mating (biting neck and spinning), and their eggs, new hatchlings too

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020

Everything. Everything is proof. You just think that species have reached some sort of end state.

Also, we're living in Covid times. Covid has gone through the Greek alphabet, and is in software release stage, Omega 1.0001.2.Beta. What do they think is happening, God is coming down and going all, last version didn't work, time for a new one?

But... *Chuckles and sighs*.... Why we still got monkey?

OP
OP
Lady Dimitrescu
Nov 8, 2018

🙄 Fucking hell you're making it out like I'm some kind of creationist. All I wanted to point out is a cool fish that seems to be half way between its evolution from sea to land, and that it's cool to see that in our lifetime. Cool your fucking jets.

LazyGradient just to inform you that one should double check pronouns that I have under my avatar. But thank you for coming to my defense none the less.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

"But it's still a virus, evolution has limits (which I will purposely keep vague so I can shift them when challenged). Microevolution doesn't prove macroevolution. Call me when we see a virus evolve into a cat" is what they say to this.