crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Amazon, rather infamously, nuked Comixology's browser site 2 years ago and now they're completing the job by phasing out the dedicated app in favor of the Kindle App.

"Today, we are announcing to customers that we are merging the Comixology app into the Kindle app on iOS, Android, and Fire OS. Currently, 93% of comics, graphic novel, and manga customers are reading via Kindle and the Kindle app, and Kindle reading is where a majority of our customers have been for years. The upgraded Kindle app experience is already available and has key Comixology features for enjoying a digital library of comics, graphic novels, and manga, including grouping titles by series; hiding and unhiding specific titles; library filtering for comics content; in-app borrowing for users of our unlimited subscription services; and additional options to read on the web. Customers can continue reading their books in the Comixology app until December 4. Focusing on the Kindle app improves our customer experience and advances our mission to make everyone on the planet a life-long comics, graphic novel, or manga fan."

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon, rather infamously, nuked Comixology's browser site 2 years ago and now they're completing the job by phasing out the dedicated app in favor of the Kindle App.
giphy.gif

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Amazon never cared about digital comics, comic fans or CMX. The writing's been on the wall for years but it still sucks and I'm sad for folks who still rely on it. Thanks for the memories comixology, RIP. It was a lovely ideal

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Damn, this sucks but I guess it was inevitable.
I hate having comics mashed in with my books so I guess I'll need to do some organization.

And I'll have to redownload everything into Kindle on my ipad.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
So annoying. ComiXology before the app got gutted was so good. Now merging to kindle app really doesn't matter since they've been the same app with different labels for a while

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... We might be seeing the end of digital comics. Even though I'm not a digital guy, digital comics are lot more accessible for the average person.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, browsing the regular sales on the Comixology site was where I picked up a lot of my digital collection and reread a bunch of stuff from my youth.

Amazon is damn awful for browsing like that, and I have no idea if they have those themed sales. My buying went waaaaaay down after the changeover.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, browsing the regular sales on the Comixology site was where I picked up a lot of my digital collection and reread a bunch of stuff from my youth.

Amazon is damn awful for browsing like that, and I have no idea if they have those themed sales. My buying went waaaaaay down after the changeover.
They still do. It's now almost always trade sales. Since the death of the old site single issue sales are all but gone. I still have a bookmark to the Amazon "CMX"

you click on this and then click deals. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/c...ing=UTF8&merchant=&ref=nav_ya_signin&#nav-top

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I have (had?) 3599 books in Comixology, albeit a bunch from large scale giveaways, but I also used to buy books constantly. I haven't bought a single book since they "revamped" the app, and looking now it seems that only 1926 books are showing up in my kindle app anyway. I kind of want to raise a complaint just because that's excessively messed up, but I also legitimately don't intend to ever use Kindle for comics.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon never cared about digital comics, comic fans or CMX. The writing's been on the wall for years but it still sucks and I'm sad for folks who still rely on it. Thanks for the memories comixology, RIP. It was a lovely ideal

It's so weird to me that they even bothered.

Amazon is so fucking destructive.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

What did they get out of it, just being able to shutter a competitor? As someone who bought both comixology issues and kindle tpbs before the merger, I never understood what the purpose was.

But I guess it's not a very lucrative market because no competitors arose.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
To be frank, they have somewhat improved the Kindle app. It still doesn't really match the previous user experience and the store only semi-recently got some sort of basket or cart for comics.

Still, I guess there is no turning back now. RIP Comixology.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon has done nothing but make the ComiXology experience worse and worse, ill put up with the kindle app as I don't have much choice but still what a massive lack of not understanding the customer.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
If they update the kindle app to have the special comic functionality off Comixology. But I guess they won't do that.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The final nail in the coffin.

It actually enrages me how inferior Amazon's comics store is to the old Comixology. This is a site that actively refuses to make any effort to sell you new issues of comics you've purchased in the past. No "hey you bought Batman 137, just wanted you to know Batman 138 is out today!" Like, the very most basic sales tactics. Navigation is byzantine and annoying. Discovery is godawful. Even using the web reader isn't intuitive if you happen not to click the green button immediately after you purchase.

It was never about getting in on the action Comixology created, it was about murdering that action and eliminating an upstart in the digital publishing field. I wish everybody who started a company like Comixology would value the long term survival of their company over a big payday, even if they have every right to go for the latter.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I already stopped buying and reading comics when the website merger happened. Really don't see myself returning at this point. I just read physical mangas and some Marvel Unlimited here or there.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Comixology Unlimited never ended up coming to the countries outside the United States, lmao. Guess I finally have my answer- Amazon was all in on Kindle and wanted to destroy a cornerstone of the market.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Of my nearly 600 comic purchases, only 120 are showing up in kindle.

Amazon support has been useless.

It's looking like I'm well and truly fucked out of thousands of dollars worth of comics.

I'm fucking furious.

Garou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They still do. It's now almost always trade sales. Since the death of the old site single issue sales are all but gone. I still have a bookmark to the Amazon "CMX"

you click on this and then click deals. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/c...ing=UTF8&merchant=&ref=nav_ya_signin&#nav-top

Even better, here is a direct link to the Sales list:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I can't even double check if I'm missing any books because the old app is already nuked apparently.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
In my case, I had to uninstall the App, then sync it a few times and wait a couple of hours before everything finally did show up properly.

Thanks! This worked for me.

I rarely use the Kindle app, and when I opened it, it only showed 51 comics (of 756). Delete, re-install, then sync, and lastly refresh (hold/swipe down on library tab) - now able to see them all.

Last edited:

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, this worked for me too. All the books are there now.

Of course only about half are properly auto-grouped by series, lulz. But at least it's just comics under one filter.

JetEagle

Dec 21, 2020
Australia
Well, this sucks but was sadly predictable for many years at this point. What a shitty thing to happen to such a great service.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've purchased a single comic since Amazon took over. The whole site is such a mess now and the sales aren't as good.

Damn shame, Comixology was great before they were bought.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Amazon continuing their favorite activity - acquiring excellent, beloved former competitors and taking them out back to be shot

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
I haven't bought a single issue since the website got taked down. I'm completely off comics since then, I didn't bother to end some series. It feels like I have wasted my money.

That's depressing to read.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I can't even double check if I'm missing any books because the old app is already nuked apparently.
It shouldn't be? But the way to check missing books is to do this

1) go to Amazon.com -> my account
2) select content & devices
3) click books

you can see the counts and if sync isn't working can push books to the device directly if you want

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
My Gwenpool issues are all there now so I can go back to safely never rereading anything I own but knowing I could.

The Nice House on the Lake vol 1-2 was good though :l

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
I will have to check on my ipad to make sure everything I had on Comixology is showing up properly.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Textbook example of enshittification. Such a huge fucking bummer. There is a lot of cool smaller shit that I only read because I stumbled into it being on sale on Comixology. Completely fucked and destroyed. I stopped using it quite a bit ago so this final bullet doesn't really mean much in practice beyond reminding me of what was lost a while ago.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just crazy how Amazon absorbed it into nothingness. Sales must have been reduced dramatically but not like they care.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
A perfect example of the danger of owning digital media. All it takes is one merger to make your shit disappear or be made infinitely worse. What's happened to comixology over the last couple of years has been awful.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The final nail in the coffin.

It actually enrages me how inferior Amazon's comics store is to the old Comixology. This is a site that actively refuses to make any effort to sell you new issues of comics you've purchased in the past. No "hey you bought Batman 137, just wanted you to know Batman 138 is out today!" Like, the very most basic sales tactics. Navigation is byzantine and annoying. Discovery is godawful. Even using the web reader isn't intuitive if you happen not to click the green button immediately after you purchase.

It was never about getting in on the action Comixology created, it was about murdering that action and eliminating an upstart in the digital publishing field. I wish everybody who started a company like Comixology would value the long term survival of their company over a big payday, even if they have every right to go for the latter.

It's fucking awful over on the Japanese manga side as well. Just fucking shithouse UX all over the shop. Let's not even get into shelf organising. They don't even seperate out webtoons from tankobons.