Nov 8, 2018
futurism.com

In Leak, Facebook Partner Brags About Listening to Your Phone’s Microphone to Serve Ads for Stuff You Mention

One of Facebook's alleged marketing partners explained how it listens to users' smartphone microphones and advertises to them accordingly.

In short the Meta Partner via a leak Cox Media Group brags about listening in on phone users and lists that terms and conditions having active listening as part of it.

Meta and Amazon both deny using active listening, as the article does like to sensationalise by using the phrase "Facebook Partner".

Still, this practice is creepy and makes you consider what else people miss in the T&C's.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Waaay too much stuff occurring around exclusively verbal interests to be a coincidence; makes sense

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
"We know what you're thinking. Is this even legal?" a since-deleted Cox blog post from November 2023 noted. "It is legal for phones and devices to listen to you. When a new app download or update prompts consumers with a multi-page term of use agreement somewhere in the fine print, Active Listening is often included."

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
All them people on ERA who swore up and fucking down this shit wasn't happening

You had people in the thread explaining scenarios where there was no possible way to be served specific adds without the phone actively listening to conversations

I mention 10 times over how the phone sits on standby waiting for an Assistant Call

"hey Siri"

"Ok Google"

Etc etc

That feature can only work if the phone is listening constantly…..

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I always assumed it was a fact. There is no way I get specific ads for things I never looked up that I have just spoke about. Specific specific, like toothpaste brands.

Oct 27, 2017
Headlines for this are crazy, this is a company that sells advertising trying to convince you that they have a magic AI tool, listing Facebook as a partner to legitimise themselves. I'm sure it's totally doable as a technology but think for a second how much it would cost to actually implement transcribing millions of voice conversations.

Meanwhile we already give up more than enough data for them to know exactly what we want or more accurately, what we'll fall for in an ad.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
but hey they called us crazy! for thinking that had hella people debunking it, but ive always maintained something was going on It was just way to specific for shit I know I never searched for

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

You had people in the thread explaining scenarios where there was no possible way to be served specific adds without the phone actively listening to conversations

I mention 10 times over how the phone sits on standby waiting for an Assistant Call

"hey Siri"

"Ok Google"

Etc etc

When I told people on the old site that my friend was working as a contractor for Amazon and that her job was to listen to recordings of commands given to Alexa to verify that it was interpreting commands correctly—and that as a consequence she heard a lot of very private things going on in people's homes because the device was triggering by mistake (the software she used gave no customer identification info but the customers themselves often unwittingly did)—I had a bunch of people call me a liar, a Luddite and a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist.

All these years later I'm still waiting for people to clue in to the fact that these tech corporations are not their friends.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Not shocked. Partner and I gets ads all the time for stuff mentioned in private conversations.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
That was one of the reasons I stopped using Android devices. That shit was happening on even Flagship Samsung phones.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I havent believed people saying this shit doesnt happen for a while now. Theres a few apps that are 100% without a shadow of a doubt listening.

Mar 3, 2018
Huh, I thought there had been a lot of tech savvy people who had looked into the feasibility and possibility of this and it was determined that phones aren't listening 24/7 since the amount of data, storage and processing power would be insane.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
holy shit, i thought this has been disproven again and again, but it's real?

Most of Era has been claiming this wasn't true for years and called it a conspiracy theory or good algorithms.

But when I talk to my wife about a topic without ever googling or searching it...and it suddenly pops up on my phone within MINUTES of me just saying the word.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together.

Aug 31, 2019
This is a good summary

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wjy-v7RXtg&t=22s

tl;dr; it's still not happening.

"the phone", ie the actual operating system, is not listening to you and serving you ads because of this. This has never been proven, and people are just really really bad at understanding technology, or confirmation biases.

If you install shitty scam apps that has ad systems in it that listen to you while they're open, that is on you and your bad app choices.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, you should probably be sure to read the article in the OP before making some definitive statements based on the title.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good summary

"the phone", ie the actual operating system, is not listening to you and serving you ads because of this. This has never been proven, and people are just really really bad at understanding technology, or confirmation biases.

If you install shitty scam apps that has ad systems in it that listen to you while they're open, that is on you and your bad app choices.

Genuine question: does it matter if it's the OS or not...? It seems like a lot to go from not-OS to saying only-scam apps. (I will watch video, but at work currently)

Aug 31, 2019
Genuine question: does it matter if it's the OS or not...? It seems like a lot to go from not-OS to saying only-scam apps. (I will watch video, but at work currently)
Well yeah? I can build an app, right now, that deletes everything on your computer. If you install that, are you blaming your computer? Or yourself?

You need to take ownership over your own actions at some point. Operating systems can help by having microphone and other io permissions, but that won't stop you from tapping accept, or having apps mix legitimate uses with illegitimate ones. At the minute I'm pretty sure most of them have icons that show when your microphone is being accessed, and I would tend to trust that.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
iOS and Android have a permissions system that makes it very obvious and easy to tell if an app is accessing the mic, so we'd know if specific apps are doing it. That's not to say that nobody is trying, but there's no way for an app to secretly have always-on mic access to harvest data for advertising.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
When I told people on the old site that my friend was working as a contractor for Amazon and that her job was to listen to recordings of commands given to Alexa to verify that it was interpreting commands correctly—and that as a consequence she heard a lot of very private things going on in people's homes because the device was triggering by mistake (the software she used gave no customer identification info but the customers themselves often unwittingly did)—I had a bunch of people call me a liar, a Luddite and a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist.

All these years later I'm still waiting for people to clue in to the fact that these tech corporations are not their friends.
Alexa does listen to you. Thats the only way it can respond when you say "Hey Alexa". Its not what people are claiming though.

Some people believe that your phone is actively processing microphone data, even when you have something like Siri, or google assistant, turned off. And thats simply not true.

Facebook and Google and whatnot aren't listening to your conversations unless you give them permission to do so.

Mar 3, 2018
Ok I read the article and looked up some other discussions and it's still true that phones aren't listening 24/7. And they don't need to with how powerful algorithms and their processes have become. You scroll through instagram and if you slow down your scroll speed and pause for even one nanosecond on an ad then that's better and more efficient data for them to update your algorithm and datapoints to use and show you targeted ads.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
iOS and Android have a permissions system that makes it very obvious and easy to tell if an app is accessing the mic, so we'd know if specific apps are doing it. That's not to say that nobody is trying, but there's no way for an app to secretly have always-on mic access to harvest data for advertising.
One problem is that any app that involves posting videos will ask for microphone access as soon as you even touch any button or gesture that would pop open video recording. (Usually when you first open the installed app as wel)

You might spend 99% of your time scrolling your feed but you've given the app access to your mic.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
The conspiracy nuts here have really been waiting to pounce on this point based on the thread title alone.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

If it were the OS, or a big name app like Facebook, then it would matter.

If it's random "anime-ify my selfies!" apps that trick users into giving permission for mic usage, then IMO it doesn't.

Google and Apple aren't listening to you, they've provided you with a device that is capable of listening to you and then you went and downloaded software that listens to you.

Again: if the Facebook app were doing this, it would've been caught. For realz caught, not "I said the word hamster with my phone out and then got an ad on Facebook for pet supplies!" The app can be investigated, as can whatever it sends over the network.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
The proof will be in whatever the "470+" sources are they claim to be able to acquire this information from. If they are ever identified that is.

I do think an important element to all of this, is that this feedback loop of information is intended to be turned into display ads as soon as possible, which gives Google an incentive (it makes them money). Not that they have done anything, but they are certainly financially incentivized to allow it.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Alexa does listen to you. Thats the only way it can respond when you say "Hey Alexa". Its not what people are claiming though.

Some people believe that your phone is actively processing microphone data, even when you have something like Siri, or google assistant, turned off. And thats simply not true.

Facebook and Google and whatnot aren't listening to your conversations unless you give them permission to do so.

It wasn't that they didn't believe Alexa listens to them; that's obvious. They didn't believe that what Alexa heard was being recorded and that real people were listening to those recordings. The point of the anecdote wasn't that the two situations are identical, it's that people generally put too much stock in the benevolence of tech companies and their "just trust us" policies, and will argue vehemently in their defense against all rationality.

Dr. Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good summary

Now I have to watch this video too, because basically until now I have always thought "yes it is totally possible, but why would they be doing this, blatantly lie about it, get away with it, when they can get just as good info most of the time from proxy data in your pocket instead of having to listen to you all the time for advertising fodder.

My take on this has recently evolved and been:
- Could it be happening? Yes, but I thought, not likely, until recently, for mostly this reason:
- Listening to devices 24/7 was costly noise for a company to parse.
- But if you think about it, if they could crack the solution to this problem, i.e. "How do we streamline organizing and acting upon information we hear 24/7 to ignore unimportant information but also document information we do value to sell our products" it's the golden goose for advertising $$$.
- Until the last couple of years, this seemed like the golden egg that had yet to be cracked. But then you got articles recently explaining that Amazon lied about their "smart tech" figuring out how you shop at Amazon Fresh locations....instead they just mass hired cheap labor in South and Southeast Asia to watch you on camera and manually document what you bought. Not only is that deceptive, it's still extremely costly at-scale, but they minimized cost where possible: hired cheap labor overseas and used their big wallets to sustain that initiative. while deceiving shareholders that they had some kind of edge on sophisticated technology that allowed them to do this mostly unsupervised. This demonstrates that companies not only have the means, but the will, to deceive us and actually brute force their way through data analytics...but now, things are even more precarious because:
- LLM AI has gone mainstream and consumer-grade, meaning they now have a sophisticated tool that can "brute force" through the data noise with minimal human oversight. Instead of having to log all info it hears, AI can, to a degree of accuracy, determine which key words and phrases out of all the audio it captures are worth logging or selling advertising about. I surmised that this was now not only possible, but combined with other articles, we can see companies now have the means, the wallets, the intent, and the deception behind, using audio from your devices, to sell your life to others, or even report to authorities (which I guarantee will disproportionately affect minorities).
- It's especially eyebrow-raising to read this article and the extents to which this is going. I knew I wasn't crazy when I had some private convos in the last few years where I literally unplugged all my smart home devices and put phones in another room to talk. Part of me thought that was insane, like do I really live in the reality where companies are doing this, but there have been NUMEROUS suspicious examples in my life in the past couple of years where there was simply no other explanation than either "very good guessing" from proxy data like proximity, contact lists, GPS, etc. to guess what you're talking about, OR these companies have now engaged tech that lets them lazily listen to you 24/7 for what they want to hear. I have had instances where me and 3 friends were talking about something we've never searched for on our devices, and at least 2 of us suddenly got search results in our online shopping that suggested the very brand and thing we were talking about, over an hour after the conversation was over and we had transitioned ideas/activities/topics. It was so creepy that I never forget moments like that.

This is very concerning to me as an AI data scientist. Just because the tech is good and powerful at certain things (like pretty much it is invaluable to science and engineering innovation), when you make tools like this consumer-grade and available to pretty much anyone for almost free, with little/no global or national ethical oversight, you risk huuuge human rights violations and ethical trespasses that I'm not sure how to fix.

The genie is out of the bottle.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Lmao people in the thread read the title and didn't actually read the article. Active listening on an iOS device, due to literally the way the OS silos app permissions, is not possible unless the app remains open and is enrolled in one of these shady facebook partner APIs AND has mic access (typically under the guise of calling or voice commands)

AgeEighty's friend is hearing inadvertent triggers that cause Alexa to begin recording (always turn off voice recording sharing "for analytics" yall!)

I can't speak for Android, so many things can happen surreptitiously there, but you're all so eager to have this weird theory proven right that you are bypassing all logic

webcivilian

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Heaven
At least on Apple devices (IPhone, iPad , Mac) there's an indicator (orange for mic, green for camera) to show if an app is accessing the microphone or the camera. Apple Support

Also, going forward (Already on the iPad) this indicator would be burned in hardware and a malware or an exploit would not be able to turn it off.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
At least on Apple devices (IPhone, iPad , Mac) there's an indicator (orange for mic, green for camera) to show if an app is accessing the microphone or the camera. Apple Support

Also, going forward (Already on the iPad) this indicator would be burned in hardware and a malware or an exploit would not be able to turn it off.
Same is true for MacBooks on hardware webcams. Seeing people with cam sliders on their MacBooks as an IT guy is very silly

Test Tube

Oct 25, 2017
Sure sounds like marketing idiots having heard the same stories about this that we all have, and assuming they can use "AI" to do it. Wouldn't be surprised if they made this slide without ever talking to someone who does actual work.
Yeah. This reads like every company peddling AI emailing me with solutions. "It can do anything! "

digdouglad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Claim" != "Is".

If apps are doing this without permissions being granted, than they have fundamentally subverted the security model on either mobile OS. I think it's fair to take the claim with a grain of salt without some real demonstration.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Corporation might be doing x in order to make more money."

"Don't be ridiculous! Corporations would NEVER do that to make more money!"

Corporation: We're trying to do x to make more money.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Lmao people in the thread read the title and didn't actually read the article. Active listening on an iOS device, due to literally the way the OS silos app permissions, is not possible unless the app remains open and is enrolled in one of these shady facebook partner APIs AND has mic access (typically under the guise of calling or voice commands)

AgeEighty's friend is hearing inadvertent triggers that cause Alexa to begin recording (always turn off voice recording sharing "for analytics" yall!)

I can't speak for Android, so many things can happen surreptitiously there, but you're all so eager to have this weird theory proven right that you are bypassing all logic

You literally just explained how it's possible under the right conditions

"It's not possible unless……"

First everyone said it's crackpot theory, now it's not possible unless…..

the fucking blogpost states "The growing ability to access microphone data from smartphones and tablets allows our partners to analyze voice data during pre purchase conversations"

What the fuck else do you need to comprehend

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"hey Siri"

"Ok Google"

Etc etc

This was my exact feeling too. Like how is a supposedly deaf phone able to realize that I'm addressing it by voice?