Votes: 355 71.1%
  • Twin snakes

Votes: 144 28.9%

• Total voters

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
i want to get into these games and since i bought a PS3 i have access to the entire series, i just wanted to make sure what version should i be playing ( i can easily get a gamecube and a copy of TS)

what does ERA think

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
The original is simply much funner to me, but Twin Snakes isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's a fine game, but I recommend the original if you've the choice between the two.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not a poll option but I would honestly play both

The first is probably the best, but The Twin Snakes is weird and wacky enough to warrant playing as well

Oct 27, 2017
The original is the better version but there's nothing wrong with Twim Snakes.

Since you already have the PS3, just go with the original.

Although of you're serious about this start with Metal Gear on MSX which is included in MGS3 HD's main menu. (Along with the second game).

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original has the better soundtrack and atmosphere.

Twin Snakes made some solid gameplay improvements. It cuts basically 90% of the tedious backtracking that was in the original as well as added plenty of QOL changes that were in MGS2. These do make the game much easier but also less frustrating to play.

Both are worth checking out. Also don't believe anyone that says that the original had better voice acting. Mei Ling's English accent is atrocious and the original English voice actor for Grey Fox was not fitting at all, also everyone talks in a very unnatural pace that doesn't line up with any other game in the series.

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
both are fine, original is a little easier to play on more modern systems/vita as gamecube is a little harder to hook up to modern tv´s etc.

wish Bluepoint would be working on Metal Gear 1, 2 and Solid remakes :E

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I think Twin Snakes is a better version of the game, but it's quite pricey and hard to come by these days. Might be better off with the original just for convenience.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I've been told the original is way better and the additions (especially the in-engine cinematics) are super whack.

Still, if "MGS Stealth" to you means proper first person aiming and having a silenced tranq gun, you will feel much more at home playing the Twin Snakes.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Twin Snakes is infinitely better

MGSV has bad gameplay outside character action

MGS4 is a disgrace in every regard

MGS2 shouldve been VR rather than a real event

MGS3S is the best game

Heres all my mgs opinions

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original.

- Voice acting has more tension and quality
- One character's voice actor was changed for the worse in Twin Snakes
- The atmosphere is better
- Gameplay fits the design of the game
- Cutscenes don't descend into John Woo antics
- Better soundtrack

nded

Nov 14, 2017
OG, then TS for laughs. MGS1 is a fairly short game, so it shouldn't be much of a hassle to play both if you've got them.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you ask me in 2019, Twin Snakes plays better and is more true to what the Metal Gear series became.

Twin Snakes has some great remixes too

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
People usually say the original but Twin Snakes is more fun. The aerobacts in the cutscenes are more over the top but not out of place compared to what comes later. Its easier than the original but more options makes the game less frustrated than the more limiting game play of the original. The music and voice acting has changes but they're not neccessarily bad.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just the original voice acting and cut-scene direction makes the real MGS1 the superior experience.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes is fine honestly but MGS doesn't deserve fine. The original is one of the best games ever made. Play the original version.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The PS3 port of 1 had some really bad input lag when I tried it, so I would say TS on that alone. YMMV of couse.

That aside, TS is a perfectly fine way of getting the plot of MGS1. There's some goofy action moments in cutscenes, but nothing outrageous. Gameplay-wise, it plays and looks like MGS2, which makes the game way easier but it has certainly aged better.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Orginal, because the game is designed around the limitations the controls have.

TTS is good, but the MGS2 controls made it feel too easy.

Headcanon - TTS is Otacon recounting the incident and turning Snake superhuman.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
This is my favorite discussion every time it comes up.

The original, 100% no question is the best way to play the game. Twin Snakes can be appreciated for what it is, but it is in no way a full replacement of MGS.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are a real sociopath OP.

For me, people are overexagerating Twin Snake, they said it's overthetop, when the entire serie is over the top

Oct 27, 2017
Original.

The remake has less personality, worse music, much worse atmosphere, worse level design and worse cinematics.

Only thing the remake has going for it is the better Mei Ling voice acting.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes is MGS1 on easy mode thanks to trang dart gun. Personally I would pick TTS but the original hasn't aged badly.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1 is more "grounded". Twin Snakes is more in line with how Kojima does the rest of the series. Bombastic and wild and almost an anime.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Original. Twin Snakes makes gameplay changes that don't really fit, changes the VA, and adds (admittedly amusing) weirdly crazy cutscenes by Ryuhei Kitamura. If you must play it, I'd say play it after to see the differences.

Oct 31, 2017
1000% the original game. Twin Snakes is essentially a parody which should not be someone's first exposure to Metal Gear Solid IMHO.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
OG is better, but graphics of Twin Snakes and convenience might outweigh the downsides.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Playing both is my suggestion. It's one of the very rare exceptions in which is worthy to see two takes of the same. They're short games as well.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
They're both perfectly fine imo. Twin Snakes doesn't have the unreasonable difficulty spike at the end that the original has, if that's a factor for you. But otherwise it's completely up to you.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I've always liked Twin Snakes 🤷🏼‍♂️ I like the original as well, obviously. But in my opinion you can't go wrong with either.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Both versions have their advantages, I wouldn't really call either of them the definitive version, though. Make sure you play TS on hard mode, though, otherwise it's a damn joke.

People who complain about the different VA for Gray Fox are the real puzzle about the whole thing... the new voice actor isn't outstanding, but the original one was ridiculously over the top and completely wrong for the character.

Kitamura is the man.

It's a damn shame he peaked so early, Versus is amazing but everything else is so uninspired...

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Twin snakes seemed like a bastardized version of MGS1, but after the crazy shit in 4, I think it fits right in.

OG is far better, imo.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Twin Snakes isn't proud to be itself so it resorted to parodying action movies as opposed to stealing from them. Don't play that.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
xxmgscompare10.jpg

Here's a simple comparison of the first level. You can see the amount of detail that was lost in the conversion to the gamecube remake. The environment comprising of many details, materials and layers are almost entirely removed on Gamecube.

Here's the music of the first level. One is one of the most haunting pieces of ambient music in the genre. The other is flat as it can sound.

Make a choice.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Original:

- Better voice acting. For some reasons MGS1 has by far the best VA in the series.
- Better OST easily.
- Better controls. I love the GC controller but it didnt work as well as the DS1 with the game.
- Better art direction. TS looks sterile compared to the original and MGS2.
- More balanced gameplay. TS is kind of broken difficulty-wise.
- Better cutscenes.

TS:

- More advanced graphics.

Honestly, i can't see how this is even a debate.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Just the original voice acting and cut-scene direction makes the real MGS1 the superior experience.
I'd take first person shooting and corner shooting over rerecorded voice acting and more over the top cutscenes.

And purists like to act Snake was like this 'regular guy' like John Mcclane who somehow defeated these supernatural or elite oponents and I can respect their preference, but for people playing the series for the first time, they're going to get used to seeing Snake as a supersoldier anyway, some of the shit he triumphs over in the sequels is remarkable. The original feels ancient now with a hamstrung amount of gameplay options (and the characters don't even have eyes) and nowadays that limited gameplay isn't ideal for for the genre. TTS may be too easy but indeed more fun overall and you really feel like you can toy around with the guards by hiding in lockers or using the rails to sneak behind them.