Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Gamesradar+

An excellent, painfully brief piece of storytelling, with some decent characters and a lot of heart. 9/10

DigitallyDownloaded

Once again Dontnod has crafted a world ripe to explore, as it is set three years after the events of Life is Strange and still within Oregon the world is full of references to the original game, even within this brief pre-release teaser. Fans of the series will play this and find themselves completely relieved of any lingering concerns that they may have had that Max and Chloe are no longer the focus of the series, with Captain Spirit proving the Life is Strange universe - and Dontnod's on mastery over this kind of storytelling - is bigger then just the original protagonists. 9/10

SpazioGames

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is the great return of Dontnod into the Life is Strange franchise. It's lovely, well crafted, and touching as usual (and it's also renewed in its graphics). 8/10

Push Square

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit thoughtfully examines a troubled childhood through the eyes of the 10-year-old living it. This non-linear episode encourages you to explore, refraining from beating you over the head with its difficult subject matter. It's building into something, and it's hard to determine exactly what that is with DONTNOD being so coy about its plans for the sequel. You need to really dig into this to get anything out of it, and while we found the backstories of the small cast to be well thought out, it's hard to know what purpose they will serve yet. 6/10

TheSixthAxis

Light on actual awesome adventuring, but it certainly has the spirit of Life Is Strange throughout and shows a notable maturity and nuance in its depiction of a troubled household. 9/10

Everyeye.it

This prologue will have completed its mission: to give the fantastic adventures of Life is Strange 2 the opportunity to take flight. 7.5/10

IGN Italia

Even though Captain Spirit stays in his comfort zone most of the time, there are some interesting new ideas in it. We definitely will see Chris again in Life is Strange 2, and I'm curious to see how his life will cross Arcadia Bay's. 7.5/10

Gameblog.fr

Simple and almost trivial at first sight, The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit lets the player be amazed by being so accurate. Life is Strange 2's introduction chapter gives us a glimpse of one little boy's boring Saturday morning being transformed into a space odyssey thanks to the power of imagination. Neither surprising nor challenging, the game will still easily deserves another playthrough for those whom want to witness every situation it has to offer. Too bad Captain Spirit lacks delicacy in so many ways. 7/10

IGN Spain

Captain Spirit sets the mood for Life is Strange 2 and makes a great character of Chris. We want to know more about him and about Captain Spirit because the prologue also feels clumsy in its dialogues and narrative (maybe because of the time that last). 7/10

Press Start Australia

I wouldn't exactly go so far as to call it 'awesome', it's more of an okay adventure set within an engrossing world that continues to go from strength to strength. As someone who values a game's plot, I was able to forgive some of Captain Spirit's inadequacies while I expect others might not be as magnanimous. I can say that the episode itself and its uplifting cliffhanger have left me wanting more of the indomitable Chris and his Captain Spirit. 7/10

Hobby Consoles

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is a small taste of the main dish. It's short and experimental, yes, but it's also free, and the decisions and actions made here will carry over into Life is Strange 2, so any Dontnod fan shouldn't miss this little story. 6.5/10

GameSpot

Regardless of how you classify The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit--whether it's a standalone adventure, a demo, or a prologue--it's a beautiful game, and one that leaves you all the more excited about Life is Strange 2.

Metacritic: 77
Opencritic: 77

Lock if old.

Last edited:

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Life is Strange but the E3 trailer for Captain Spirit looked a little too cloyingly sweet for my tastes.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm about an hour into this and so far it's magical. I loved LIS season 1 and before the storm and loved them, and this has managed to retain those feelings while also branching out into a child's life, imagination,and pain. I'm captivated by it so far, and it's really just sad to me overall even in the lighter moments. There is a feeling lingering in the air while i play that is depressing. I am even more excited for season 2 now. 9/10 way to go Dontnod, you are masters of your craft!