Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This sure is fucking dystopian...

deadline.com

Usher, Priyanka Chopra & Julianne Hough Set For ‘The Activist’, CBS Competition Series From Global Citizen – Update

Usher, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and Julianne Hough are set to co-host the Global Citizen competition series from CBS, 'The Activist.'
The Activist is a competition series that features six inspiring activists teamed with three high-profile public figures working together to bring meaningful change to one of three vitally important world causes: health, education, and environment.

Activists go head-to-head in challenges to promote their causes, with their success measured via online engagement, social metrics, and hosts' input. The three teams have one ultimate goal: to create impactful movements that amplify their message, drive action, and advance them to the G20 Summit in Rome, Italy. There, they will meet with world leaders in the hope of securing funding and awareness for their causes. The team that receives the largest commitment is celebrated as the overall winner at the finale, which will also feature musical performances by some of the world's most passionate artists.

"Ooo sorry Gianna, but it seems those sick kids are just gonna have to toughen up after that weak showing."

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
At first I thought this would be something like a game show where the prize money goes to a charity and where people donate but this is pretty fucking bad lol.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The contestants are chained to a tree and a bulldozer is slowly advancing towards them, whoever hold out the longest without wins

But I could imagine a world where something like this could be well done, you definitely could add a light reality show element and give people a glimpse into what activist movements do that may not be readily apparent otherwise, but given the people associated with it, that's not what this particular show seems to be interested in doing

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Oh my god, I'm so fucking ashamed on behalf of brown people. Come the fuck on Priyanka. Shark Tank for activists? Fuck off.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I mean… a lot of funding already depends on how you pitch your cause to well-connected people. This is just bringing all those ridiculousness to the public sphere and making money from it.

May 31, 2018
The Vote for the Worst crowd is about to give the win to the Homeless Hamsters Foundation over Feed the Children

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's fascinating on two levels
1)How did this get green lit
2)How many people along the way during the process actually thought it was a good idea vs people who knew it was bullshit but stfu since they were afraid to lose their jobs?

I kinda hope it makes it to television because there's gonna be some fantastic laughs in this

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry children's cancer center, but you guys lost.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like an ok idea but if there was a prize donation given to a cause but the prize is...exposure?

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Priyanka Chopra activist promoting war with the neighbouring country and supporting subjugation of minority region what an idol

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I swear I've seen some kind of version of this on a black mirror episode.

Performance activism. Utterly embarrassing and beyond cringeworthy. Just seeking validation.

Yup, this is super reminiscent of the ending of the 2nd episode of Black Mirror.

"Let's promote activist causes within the framework of hyper-capitalist, reality show culture" is an insane pitch. Figures that 3 out of touch celebs would jump at the chance to do it.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, add this onto the pile of horrible reality show ideas that somehow got made. It stands right up there with that show where they wanted to make families compete against each other for a green card.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next game show idea is 5 gravely sick people competing to get the money needed for life saving procedures in several wacky challenges! Only one will literally survive!

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Yup, this is super reminiscent of the ending of the 2nd episode of Black Mirror.

"Let's promote activist causes within the framework of hyper-capitalist, reality show culture" is an insane pitch. Figures that 3 out of touch celebs would jump at the chance to do it.
lol THAT episode. really tough watch.