Oct 28, 2017
Now if you think that Wu-Tang and Outkast aren't the top 2 groups ever you are wrong but I will entertain the idea.

There are like 8 groups to fill 3 spots and outside of Tribe, which is a lock to make the top 5 I can't lock any other group.

I mean I could go
Wu
Kast
Tribe
De La
Bestie Boys

But then I am leaving off NWA.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
Now if you think that Wu-Tang and Outkast aren't the top 2 groups ever you are wrong but I will entertain the idea.

There are like 8 groups to fill 3 spots and outside of Tribe, which is a lock to make the top 5 I can't lock any other group.

I mean I could go
Wu
Kast
Tribe
De La
Bestie Boys

But then I am leaving off NWA.
This is my top tier from the same era

Cbrun44

Tribe is still #1.

Even Outkast and the entirety of the Wu would acknowledge that.

There would be no OutKast without Tribe.

I'd also say Wu-Tang is more of Rza's collective rather than a singular cohesive group. Same way I don't really consider NWA to be a true group.

1. Tribe
2. OutKast
3. De La Soul
4. Gangstarr
5. Public Enemy

Last edited:

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really fuck with ranking shit that hard, but 4 out of 5 in the OP are probably the rap artists I listen to most. DE LA would probably make my top 10 most spun but not top 5. Off the top of my head Jurassic 5 and Gang Starr probably more often. Aesop Rock too. Tho now I'm leaving groups behind...

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Outkast
Wu-tang
The Roots
ATCQ
And then I can't choose between Pharcyde, Gangstarr, Black Star, Digable Planets, Organized Konfusion, Little Brother etc... 😅

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why these don't happen anymore

-asap mob
-shoreline mafia
-brockhakpton

All the recent-ish ones I can think

don't forget

kwe1VIJ.png

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Mobb Deep
Little Brother
Wu-Tang Clan
Outkast
The Clipse

I'm sure my picks will get side eyed, but these are my favorites.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think Wu-Tang and Outkast are the only right choices for 1 and 2.

If we're talking like overall impact and influence on hip-hop? I'd probably put NWA and A Tribe Called Quest 3rd and 4th respectively.

If we're talking just personal preference? Wu, Outkast and then Gang Starr at 3 and Blu & Exile at 4.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
No love for Run the Jewels here? Have put out a solid ass 4 albums in my opinion.

But a tribe called quest is number one then the other 2 are 2 and 3 on OP's list

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
It took too long for someone to say Bone Thugs.

Honorable mention to Nappy Roots. Watermelon Chicken and Grits is an amazing album.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
I don't even put Outkast in my top 10

1)Mobb Deep
2)Wu Tang
3)Smif n Wessun
4)Capone n Noreaga
5)Heltah Skeltah
6)Tribe Called Quest
7)De La Soul
8)Naught by Nature
9)Onyx
10)EPMD

(6-10 changes in order depending on the mood)

Obvious shout outs to Fugees, Gangstarr, Group, Bone, Home, Killa Army, Sunz of Man, Public Enemy, The Dogg Pound, The Lox, The Clipse and The Luniz

Edit: fuck it putting the Mobb #1, RIP Bandana Pee
prodigy-mobb.gif

Last edited:

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
Goddamn this is a lot of posts without many people saying The Roots. People really not high on The Roots or just forgetting?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Tribe, Kast, Wu tang, and de la for me are the definitive 4. The other spot can easily be debated between UGK, Migos, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, et
My personal fave would be BROCKHAMPTON, but certainly doesn't count for an influence standpoint

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
  1. EPMD
  2. ATCQ
  3. Gang Starr
  4. De La Soul
  5. Organized Konfusion
  6. Public Enemy
  7. Smif N Wessun
  8. Camp Lo
  9. Heltak Skeltah
  10. Brand Nubian
NJ born and raised so my list no doubt skews East Coast.