Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Sec. 1.0041. DISPLAY OF TEN COMMANDMENTS. (a) Requires a public elementary or secondary school to display in a conspicuous place in each classroom of the school a durable poster or framed copy of the Ten Commandments that meets the requirements of Subsection (b).

(b) Requires that a poster or framed copy of the Ten Commandments described by Subsection (a):

(1) include the text of the Ten Commandments as provided by Subsection (c) in a size and typeface that is legible to a person with average vision from anywhere in the classroom in which the poster or framed copy is displayed; and

(2) be at least 16 inches wide and 20 inches tall.

EDIT: Also wanted to add SB 763

(d)AA Notwithstanding Subsections (b) and (c) or any other law, a school district may employ a chaplain instead of a school counselor to perform the duties required of a school counselor under this title. A chaplain employed under this subsection is not required to be certified by the State Board for Educator Certification.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Something-something church and state. And you can definitely argue the "state" aspect of schools because Texas in particular has been poking its nose into everything the schools are doing.

Also, I'd like to know how many of those commandments the people pushing this bill have personally broken. Pretty sure it's a long way from zero.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how hard they try, it won't stop the dwindling attendance of churches everywhere.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If only that clumsy dude hadn't dropped the tablet that had the 11th Commandment: Thou shall not put these commandments in a public school

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Think of how many people have been involved with this, and how much time and energy has been expended to try and get this passed.

Can't give elementary kids free school lunch country-wide, but sure lets make sure the 10 Commandments are posted In every room.
Really focusing on what matters.

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
"mommy, what is adultery?"
holding-back-laughter-laugh.gif

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I'm sure a rebuttal against anyone with a brain saying this violates the First Amendment would be that "they're not forcing prayer" even though the Ten Commandments, whether we follow them intentionally or not, are religious doctrine.

Problem is, they're actually kind of right, because it's just for display, not for use. So long as nobody attempts to teach them to the class, it's most likely legal. Not ethical by any means, but likely legal.

Beebeard

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if it should be included in this thread or put in a separate one, but please don't miss the related bill, Texas SB763.

This would allow untrained pastors to be put in place of guidance counselors and mental health providers, in public schools. Presumably this is so those pastors can fill the heads of at-risk children, with corrosive Christian rhetoric and orthodoxy, and not do that *and* molest them.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it should be included in this thread or put in a separate one, but please don't miss the related bill, Texas SB763.

This would allow untrained pastors to be put in place of guidance counselors and mental health providers, in public schools. Presumably this is so those pastors can fill the heads of at-risk children, with corrosive Christian rhetoric and orthodoxy, and not do that *and* molest them.
Was about to quote you and add that part about molestation, but I see you got it covered.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
People who like to complain about "virtue signaling" sure do an awful lot of it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Friendship with 1st amendment is over, 2nd amendment is my only friend.

OP
OP
Rhomega

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Thanks. Added to the OP.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
If you want your kids to learn about Bible shit, send them to Sunday school, those Christian schools, or homeschool them. Separation of church and state exists for a reason.

I'm not even against religious studies classes, in the sense of fact-based, analytical study of religious history, but these people just want indoctrination.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
They just never fucking stop with this. I remember the GOP trying to force the Ten Commandments everywhere 30 years ago. It's just depressing how some things haven't changed…or have gotten worse.

Beebeard

Oct 29, 2017
Was about to quote you and add that part about molestation, but I see you got it covered.
It's a terrible idea to replace qualified mental health professionals who deal with children every day, with untrained, uncertified, unqualified, weird old men whose motivations in being alone in offices with children in a secular setting, are at best to pollute their minds with Christian orthodoxy that is already inappropriate and unconstitutional in the setting. And that's if we're already assuming the best of them and looking right past the endless molestation scandals by clergymen, and paying no mind to the fact that they are in a school being put in close contact with children who are vulnerable.

BTW if either of these bills passes, I'm fucking quitting my job and moving out of this shitty state forever.

InsanezX2

Oct 28, 2017
The rules in the OP don't seem to specify a language for this. I could see someone trying to get around it by posting it on the classroom wall in Klingon or something.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We're going to keep seeing red states continuously pushing further and further to the extreme. I think they're going for the dissolution of public education, zero restrictions on guns and banning what they consider Christianity says is a sin.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017

Christ, this is a disaster waiting to happen. A lot of at risk kids (Especially LGBT ones) get support from guidance and mental health figures in school, and replacing them with pastors who will almost certainly fill their heads with "But it's wrong!" garbage is potentially going to end in the self-harm and even deaths of children.

To say this has the potential to be nefarious is an understatement.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Christ, this is a disaster waiting to happen. A lot of at risk kids (Especially LGBT ones) get support from guidance and mental health figures in school, and replacing them with pastors who will almost certainly fill their heads with "But it's wrong!" garbage is potentially going to end in the self-harm and even deaths of children.

To say this has the potential to be nefarious is an understatement.
Pastors aren't mental health professionals either. It's so wacked. American anti intellectualism is so pervasive.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Something Something First Amendment.

Ah, who am I kidding. The GOP only acknowledge one amendment, and it ain't the first.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Why do I get the idea that these folk have never actually read the ten commandments..