entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The Tesla Model Y was the world's best-selling car in Q1 2023, marking the first time ever that an EV has achieved this feat, according to industry analyst JATO Dynamics.

Model Y sales have been growing around the world for the last few years, putting the car on the trajectory to become the world's best-selling vehicle. The feat was first predicted even before the car came to market, as Tesla thought the car could see up to a million units of demand per year.

It was an ambitious goal at the time, with many considering it another example of an "optimistic" Tesla prediction, but last year Tesla said the Model Y was on track to become the world's best-selling car in 2023.

Dethroned the Corolla.

I'm not a Musk fan, and think automobiles are over prioritized, especially in the US, but for Mother Earth (yes, I know about the other stuff--minerals, energy chain) this is a good.

Even a modest decrease of ICE vehicles in the world automobile fleet would be a huge environmental impact.

electrek.co

Tesla Model Y is now the world's best-selling car, first EV to do so

The Tesla Model Y was the world’s best-selling car in Q1 2023, marking the first time ever that an EV...

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not a Musk fan, but glad to see EV growth continue. Competitors are catching up, but still have a long way to go to reach the success Tesla has achieved.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate that the company belongs to a huge fuckstick but good for combating climate change

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Let's go. I'm hoping we get more EV models from different manufacturers to climb these charts as well. But this is a net positive in my book.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I'm curious to know if (or how much) these numbers are inflated due to the fact that Tesla only sells three models of cars.

Also Tesla is a net negative in the fight against climate change.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
I love ours that we got after the recent price drop. It's very fun to drive and also super practical. We use Dog Mode all the time (how did we live without this?) and I got a mattress for Camp Mode.

We compared to pretty much all other EV's but it was no contest due to charging network and value.

The only thing I don't like is the turning radius isn't great, makes it hard to get in and out of our tight garage.

Deleted member 12842

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2022
Really too bad Musk wasn't forced out of tesla like that Uber guy when he's really a tank on the company at this point.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
I find Toyota's stance on the EV sustainability interesting.
Hopefully the technology improves soon as the resources needed now are far from sustainable.

BeyondZero_Infographic_Final_UT

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly cannot imagine buying a Tesla post Musk revealing himself as a far right fascist. Especially as soon many more manufacturers will be able to use the Tesla superchargers which was the one and only thing that they had an advantage with.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of the ugliest cars on the road. They have zero character.

THIS! Teslas are so boring looking and they all lookalike, it's like if they only ship with 3 different colors, 2 wheel models and no extras. I feel like buying a Tesla is like buying one of these houses

1280px-Markham-suburbs_aerial-edit2.jpg

That being said great news for EVs in general, hope other manufacturers follow suit and increase their EV production.

And fuck Elon Musk.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Picked up my Model Y Long Range on May 9th. It's the best car I've ever owned and I struggle to see a reason why I'd ever go back to an ICE vehicle.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I would have thought the model 3 would be selling more for the price. how do people afford anything these days wtffff

EDIT: oh wait they both almost sell for $50k new I thought model 3 was like $35k lol

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Tesla is on the front lines fighting against the actual solution to transportation based emissions: mass transit.

Many will say that countries like the U.S. don't have any transit infrastructure and that EVs are better than nothing, but that's a wrong way of thinking IMO. Better than nothing isn't valuable in the face of climate change; we either reach our goals or we don't. Tesla (and all other car manufacturers) are a huge roadblock on the path towards those goals.

As the saying goes: EVs aren't here to save the planet, they're here to save the car industry.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Toyota or any other car company still looking at hydrogen? Feels like nonsense when there's only like three stations in all of the Bay Area.

Deleted member 109591

Feb 21, 2022
Why is Toyota or any other car company still looking at hydrogen? Feels like nonsense when there's only like three stations in all of the Bay Area.

Mostly sunk costs. Partly there is still potential use cases where it can replace fossil fuels (using excess clean energy to generate hydrogen is cleaner than storing it in a big battery).

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I've put off my Tesla purchase at least until Musk gets replaced. Hopefully, some other EV catches my attention in the mean time.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of PHEV right now. It's the best of both worlds.
Part of this is because Japanese car manufactures are way behind the ball on EVs. But I do think while an EV will always be a better ride than a hybrid Plug Ins that can get themselves to 50 miles of travel and then use fuel is probably the best overall thing for the environment.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I am pleased to see an EV be so successful, and hope that trend continues to grow and future EV models find just as much success.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
How are there enough people who can afford $50K cars to make this the best-selling model? Yeesh.
Because of the unquenchable thirst for gigantic SUVs (and manufacturers continuing to prioritize more profotable higher-end trims with manufacturing still not quite back to full capacity), $50k is pretty much the median price for a new car now.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Elon's great but I don't particularly like the look of Teslas and would worry about long term reliability.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Obviously the fact he's moved the company to Texas and the type of people who live here lend itself to this, but I swear I feel like I see more Teslas on the road than just about any other kind of car in Austin these days. Not surprised by this stat.

Oct 27, 2017
Hate musk and his awful treatment of Tesla workers. If he cared about the environment really the company would sell these cars for poor people.

Would love to see these stats if there was data on used cars.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Obviously the fact he's moved the company to Texas and the type of people who live here lend itself to this, but I swear I feel like I see more Teslas on the road than just about any other kind of car in Austin these days. Not surprised by this stat.
If I were to get an EV (also live in Austin) I'd have to consider a Tesla given their range is great and they tend to be more on the affordable end on like a $ per mile type thing. If I want to drive to Dallas or Houston from here I wouldn't want to have to worry about range. That's why I got a PHEV Clarity years ago instead of a straight EV :\ Thankfully things are improving like from Hyundai and so on.