JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Had no idea this was happening but saw Elon tweeting about it so I looked it up and found out it's a major event and googling it looks it's hype so decided to make a thread for it.

Livestream

Verge article on what to expect:

www.theverge.com

What to expect at Tesla’s Battery Day event

Elon Musk is expected to announce Tesla will make its own batteries.

electrek.co

Tesla Battery Day hype is through the roof — can Tesla live up to it?

The hype around Tesla’s Battery Day event is extremely high, but can Tesla live up to it? Let’s look into...

Last edited:

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
I've been crazy following this for the last year. This is going to be BIG folks (like world changing). EV's are the catalyst required to push battery tech exponentially forward over the next decade (decreased cost, easier to manufacture, increased energy density, increased longevity). Hold on to your butts.

Want more info? Check out The Limiting Factor over on Youtube. Jordan has done a fantastic job researching what Tesla is likely to announce based on acquisitions, patents, etc.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah Technology, Boo Musk. For real, if leaks are true this is going to be crazy for electric vehicles!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This has been LONG time coming and there is crazy hype surrounding it.

Hope Muskman can deliver.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
TSLA currently in an after-hours tailspin. -7.6%

Looks like the dip happened just a few minutes before Musk's tweets, so I'm not sure they're the cause. Maybe the same news leaked just before he tweeted that out?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the tweets from Elon some time ago it sounds like it will be lots of PR and theories instead of market ready results.

There's been talk that Tesla's research group (headed by Professor Jeff Dahn) in Canada had a breakthrough.

I doubt it's theory and ideas.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
There's been talk that Tesla's research group (headed by Professor Jeff Dahn) in Canada had a breakthrough.

Elon himself tweeted a hour ago whatever
they have won't be market ready till 2022

Which is exactly why the stock dropped off

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Considering the tweets from Elon some time ago it sounds like it will be lots of PR and theories instead of market ready results.
Considering they are literally manufacturing the new battery cell right now it's gonna be more than just theories. Being ready for mass production is different than being market ready.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

This looks like the reverse of Pump and Dump. Like artificially deflate the value of stock before inevitable rise tomorrow.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I've been crazy following this for the last year. This is going to be BIG folks (like world changing). EV's are the catalyst required to push battery tech exponentially forward over the next decade (decreased cost, easier to manufacture, increased energy density, increased longevity). Hold on to your butts.

Want more info? Check out The Limiting Factor over on Youtube. Jordan has done a fantastic job researching what Tesla is likely to announce based on acquisitions, patents, etc.
It is always hard to know what is going on with Tesla because of the hyperbole that comes out from both sides.

First I would like to see you being right and it would very cool to see something that changes the world for the better and is planned on coming out in a few years, but I am getting more skeptical about how long it will be before the majority of new cars are EVs. Seems like it is more like 10-20 years away instead of 5.

Lets hope that I am wrong.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
It is always hard to know what is going on with Tesla because of the hyperbole that comes out from both sides.

First I would like to see you being right and it would very cool to see something that changes the world for the better and is planned on coming out in a few years, but I am getting more skeptical about how long it will be before the majority of new cars are EVs. Seems like it is more like 10-20 years away instead of 5.

Lets hope that I am wrong.

Where do you live? Most major cities, in particualr the coasts, have Teslas all over. In my area, they are as common as civics and corollas. Every auto manufacturer is now coming out with their own EV's. EV era is already here.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I don't quite understand why there is a sudden drop in stock after the tweets...it doesn't sound like negative information. What am I missing?

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

They are going to discuss the "Million Mile" battery tech that has been researched in Canada tomorrow, from my understanding. A lot of other articles are hinting at it, too.

Hopefully this justifies my being patient for getting a Tesla. Especially since I feel the current models are all a large scale "beta" phase before the real durability and longevity breakthroughs arrive, at a normal cost point.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I sold my Telsa stock in the morning because it has been to much of a roller-coaster ride. I hope the battery news tomorrow is good for the earth

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
They are going to discuss the "Million Mile" battery tech that has been researched in Canada tomorrow, from my understanding. A lot of other articles are hinting at it, too.

Hopefully this justifies my being patient for getting a Tesla. Especially since I feel the current models are all a large scale "beta" phase before the real durability and longevity breakthroughs arrive, at a normal cost point.
Most of the talk is probably be about how they managed to get the cost down of the battery. The two majors technology that people are expecting are dry electrodes and a tabless battery. Both technology are super important to get the manufacturing done at much higher speed and way cheaper by simplifying the whole process. I'd be really surprised if we see any kind of annoucement on highr range for vehicules because that would kill their sales in the short term. I think it's gonna be: "we have a battery that is cheaper, more energy dense, so we're soon gonna be able to up the production significantly meaning more cars on the roads at a lower cost and bigger margin".

Remembr people, it is generally considered that if they can get the cost below $100/kWh then EV should be able to have price parity with internal combustion vehicles. That would be big considering an EV is way cheaper during its lifetime.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017

Do you think we will see any announcements regarding Solar Roofs and Powerwall products?

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think we will see any announcements regarding Solar Roofs and Powerwall products?

There is also their yearly shareholders meeting before battery day tomorrow, so they may talk about solar and powerwall there.

One potentially crazy thing that could be discussed at Battery Day is Vehicle to Grid (V2G). With Tesla car's having battery packs with longevity over 1 million miles, suddenly the battery in the car becomes practical to use to power your home (or sell power back to the grid, for a profit). The battery pack in a Tesla car is like 5-7 times the size of 1 standard powerwall, so this could become an awesome side incentive to buy a Tesla car vs. several Powerwalls.

With their new Roadrunner battery to be announced, they will definitely have the tech to support this. Whether or not they announce it at this event or a future one I'm not sure of.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you live? Most major cities, in particualr the coasts, have Teslas all over. In my area, they are as common as civics and corollas. Every auto manufacturer is now coming out with their own EV's. EV era is already here.
Tesla is mainstream where I live but what you are saying is hyperbole.

Tesla sells less than 1% of all new cars. Though they are probably one of the biggest luxury brands if not the biggest in the US.

EVs are going to keep getting bigger but I wonder when they will be 50% of the market .

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
This could be really big in ways that extends far beyond electric vehicles. The number one thing stopping a number of technologies such as robots from becoming big is battery limitations. I'm super excited.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I don't like a lot of what Elon says, but I do like what SpaceX and Tesla are doing, in particular being a champion for EVs. Getting us an all-electric future is the best move, and Tesla is the furthest along in that regard.
Agreed, I do really appreciate a lot of what Elon is pushing for... But he just says/does dumb things consistently lol.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Agreed, I do really appreciate a lot of what Elon is pushing for... But he just says/does dumb things consistently lol.

Absolutely. I won't lie and say that he's perfect, he definitely isn't. But if in the future his positions are what we consider the American right-wing, I'd be absolutely 100% fine with that.

Again, NOT DEFENDING HIM, more defending parts of him? Nobody should look at SpaceX or Tesla and say they are bad things. He wants to push spaceflight forward. He wants to bring about a future of zero-emission vehicles. Both are incredibly worthwhile causes that I think everyone on the left should be all for.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

1. He doesn't want to Osbourn the cars rolling off the lines for sale right now if people think this new amazing battery tech is coming in 2 months.

2. There is a big difference between market ready and serious high volume production. You are confusing the 2. Cybertruck, Semi, and Roadster all are using these new batteries and will all go into production next year. He said high volume which is open to interpretation but he considered Model 3 at 5k a week high volume so his statement obviously means a slow ramp up, not that none of the new vehicles will ship next year.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Absolutely. I won't lie and say that he's perfect, he definitely isn't. But if in the future his positions are what we consider the American right-wing, I'd be absolutely 100% fine with that.

Again, NOT DEFENDING HIM, more defending parts of him? Nobody should look at SpaceX or Tesla and say they are bad things. He wants to push spaceflight forward. He wants to bring about a future of zero-emission vehicles. Both are incredibly worthwhile causes that I think everyone on the left should be all for.
I could care less about his political affiliation. We might disagree, on points but I (personally) think it's silly to "boycott" people based on whether they lean right or left. I just think he's a narcissistic A-hole who only only cares for himself. He doesn't take opposing stances well and double down on stupid things. Pedo-guy, COVID not a threat, and the whole S.E.C./$420 funding secured thing.

That said, I frequent /r/SpaceX and a Model S is my dream car (might be replaced by a cybertruck). Star link probably wont effect me, but the technology is amazing. The boring company is now a glorified subway, but still cool because it gives more potential public transport options. Nueralink scares me though lol.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I forgot about this! I was annoyed when it was delayed and now it's a nice surprise

Hoping to hear of price breaks and longer use cycles. Also given the state of CA wildfires and the general trajectory of the climate crisis, I hope they show two-way charging. I am hoping that by the time I need to return my bolt (early 2023) that we can use EVs as emergency generators.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I'm hoping for a cheaper Tesla in 2 years which is what has been teased. There have been people whispering about how amazing/game changing this will be. I see it as just better batteries/performance for Tesla's specifically (for now). I don't think it's going to filter down to consumer electronics any time soon. But, who knows? I'm not an expert by any means.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I am not expecting earth-shattering news today. Few % gains in crucial battery metrics [weight, durability, etc], plans for their in-house battery production, and a way to make their cars a bit more cheaper and durable.

OP
OP
JustinBB7

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Seems people are really split between it will be nothing or it will be huge lol. Few more hours and we'll see.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Seems people are really split between it will be nothing or it will be huge lol. Few more hours and we'll see.
Tesla has shown that they are betting on using as many suppliers as posible for their cars batteries. So, whatever they are unveiling today, it is gonna coexist with the batteries manufactured by LG, CATL and Panasonic. So I have a hard time believing it's gonna be a huge change on the consumer side. My bet is that it's gonna be great technology that is gonna be used to make the batteries cheaper and more energy dense. So in the short term it's just gonna be a boost for their profit margin and to their total production capability.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
All the rumors say these new batteries will last much longer, be cheaper to produce, and weigh less.

In terms of battery technology, that's pretty big. On the consumer side in the short term? I guess somewhat cheaper Tesla cars.

The big question will be how this technology can apply to renewable energy systems for power grid storage.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it'll be something that drives higher car sales, be it tech to reduce the price of batteries or improved batteries.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it'll be something that drives higher car sales, be it tech to reduce the price of batteries or improved batteries.

The new batteries will do that, but not immediately. It will take a year or two for the benefits to filter into the market most likely, starting with Cybertruck, Semi, and Roadster, and later making their way into M3, MY, S, and X. And any other new models like the "Model 2" and Van.

My hunch is the market leaves tonight underwhelmed and the stock dips tomorrow, even while the news will be super positive for the long term.