• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
and you are a B7 bigot, so who cares. LOL. All you do is defend the B7 because you purchased one.

Unlike you, I understand the benefits of the competition (OLEDs, in my case) and that they have several good qualities. Fantastic blacks, best HDR in class, best movie viewing experience, DV ready, etc. The LG B7A is a very enticing purchase.

I'm free to discuss the TVs I'm interested in (or disinterested) without interference from the likes of you.

I know right! It sure does, doesn't it!

You'd have to talk to the people that are selling TVs this year. No doubt, the B7A has been popular. At my stores they have been moving the most 900E units, aside from all of the budget TVs of course.

The B7A and the 900E are undoubtedly the best valued enthusiast sets of '17.

okay, enlighten me. Sell me on Dolby Vision content then. I am sincerely interested in hearing about this. I am currently in this dilemma, myself. The Sony sets don't even do it yet. To the vast majority of consumers DV has no bearing on any current viewing habits.

So if I'm not a super early adopter + tech enthusiast, why do I care about spending hundreds or thousands of dollars extra in order to get a high-end DV compatible TV set? (I already realize that it would be future-proofing for HDR content. I'm gonna need more than that.) This would be helpful to many people on here. I bought a 4K UHD player and its not DV compatible. It's the Sony 800X, one of the most popular units this season. Am I going to regret my purchase? These are all things to consider.

I have talked to several salesmen in the last month and asked them "What's up with Dolby Vision? Do I want to purchase it, and why?" Everyone has been pretty dismissive of it so far. People seem to fit into one of two categories: 1."get the B7A. it also has DV." or 2."it doesn't matter / it's future tech / simply part of the format war".

Let's hear some compelling reasons for Dolby Vision. UHD blu rays aren't DV enabled.

I have a B6. Like everything else you post, you don't know what you're talking about.

You're free to discuss what you want and I'm free to debunk your ignorance and OLED fear mongering. Simple.

UHD Blurays aren't DV enabled? Seriously stop spreading BS in areas that you clearly have no clue to what you're talking about. People read this thread for advice and you're cluttering it up with a multitude of stuff that is not true.

Or should I brace myself for another Xbox insult?

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
okay, enlighten me. Sell me on Dolby Vision content then. I am sincerely interested in hearing about this. I am currently in this dilemma, myself. The Sony sets don't even do it yet. To the vast majority of consumers DV has no bearing on any current viewing habits.

So if I'm not a super early adopter + tech enthusiast, why do I care about spending hundreds or thousands of dollars extra in order to get a high-end DV compatible TV set? (I already realize that it would be future-proofing for HDR content. I'm gonna need more than that.) This would be helpful to many people on here. I bought a 4K UHD player and its not DV compatible. It's the Sony 800X, one of the most popular units this season. Am I going to regret my purchase? These are all things to consider.

I have talked to several salesmen in the last month and asked them "What's up with Dolby Vision? Do I want to purchase it, and why?" Everyone has been pretty dismissive of it so far. People seem to fit into one of two categories: 1."get the B7A. it also has DV." or 2."it doesn't matter / it's future tech / simply part of the format war".

Let's hear some compelling reasons for Dolby Vision. UHD blu rays aren't DV enabled.

Some UHD Blu Rays have recently started to come with Dolby Vision included as a HDR layer. If you want to see the difference between static metadata (HDR10) vs dynamic metadata (Dolby Vision and soon HDR10+) then have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voePq29-U6M

The high-end TVs will soon be promoting dynamic metadata HDR variants over the static HDR10 standard and eventually I think HDR10 will be left behind.

If you already own the 900E then I'd just hold off until your next upgrade so you can get HDR10+ as well as HDMI 2.1 etc.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to compare my Sony 930 to my 65 B7, here are the positives for each.

Just wanted to thank you for these rundowns - I think it's pretty clear that the sets we're talking about are *all* quite good, when you get down to it. It's tough when there are very few people in the enviable position you're in: having both an OLED and a current, high-end LCD in the same house!

Along those lines, how is non-HDR gaming on the 930?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

that's a low mid-range set as well. You get what you pay for when it comes to televisions. Until you get into the high tier of performance of course. ;)
Nah man, the KS7000 is the European equivalent to the KS8000. I'd put it on the same range as the 900e. Same price range too. Both are killer sets imo. Owned a KS8000 for a year.

But dude, b7 bigots? Seriously? The only one I see in here starting fanboy flamewars and namecalling because of TV preference is you. Chill out, let's all have fun talking about our hobbies, you're being super passive aggressive and it makes you seem like a huge dick.

Bunkei

Oct 29, 2017
And yet...
This might explain why some who are gaming with their OLED at lower levels have been reporting less (or no) issues overall compared to those that have it up higher to compensate for brighter lit rooms. This also might make HDR gaming even more dubious though.

I think it's highly likely you are correct. From what I've read, the amount of nits the TVs output increased substantially between the 2015 and 2016 models. That might explain why there are hardly mention of any 2015 owners with Burn-in issues. That would also explain the firmware update that aggressively curbed the brightness of the displays.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a damn good deal.

You good bro? I don't even have a Xbox, fam.

You're doing a lot of fear mongering in this thread about OLEDs. You went with a x930e. Congrats. Stop trying to devalue or spook others from enjoying their OLED or future OLED purchases. Ive said if you 100% game, then LED tech is probably better for you. However most people do more than just game on sets this expensive, hence content on the screen will naturally vary over the course of ownership. It's not living some kind of alternative lifestyle or whatever you called it.

Care to explain why? I'm trying to become educated in this stuff.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
What it comes down to is do you prefer the contrast, colours and the deep blacks of the OLED or do you value the significantly brighter HDR picture more?

That's the choice you make with OLED vs LCD.

If you want my opinion, I'd definitely stick with the OLED if I had to choose between those two, but if you were to compare the high-end OLED with a high-end LCD like the 930/940E or even better, the ZD9 then the choice becomes a whole lot more difficult.

That's a good point - I feel like it's already a tough call, as the 900E is a great panel (and a massive step up from my 2007 42" Aquos). I ended up getting the C7 for $1200, so the best 65" panel in the price range was the 900E ($1500). If I was going to step up to the 930E ($2000 for 65"), I'd be considering the 65" C7.

The biggest difference in my case is the size of the panels. Size really does make a difference in this case. I can see the difference in picture quality, but the 65" 900E adds a lot in terms of sheer size over the 55" C7.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a damn good deal.

Care to explain why? I'm trying to become educated in this stuff.

Because of the way OLED tech (currently) works, items that stay on your screen for hours on end, without any change in content are susceptible to "image retention". There are tools on the TV that you can use to mitigate this. And image retention is NOT the same as burn in. The latter cannot be removed. Due to static nature of HUDs in games if all you're doing is gaming, without watching other content, it might be better to just go with LED. However, if you plan to use the TV as a TV, and do more than game, OLED delivers a better picture and all around performance than LED. LEDs can get brighter at the moment which is important for HDR, but the black levels of OLED helps offset that.

Bunkei

Oct 29, 2017
If LG would stand behind their TVs, I would completely agree that the burn-in issue would hardly be a dealbreaker. But they don't, and their reasoning is flawed and full of holes to say the least. Samsung could be just throwing fire on the hole burn-in issue to tout their own QLED TV technology, but then they make OLED displays for their phones. The fact that they already use the technology but opt not to use it on their TVs is an ... interesting decision. In fact, LG seems to be the only manufacturer of OLED TVs.... I was a bit surprised at that.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
If LG would stand behind their TVs, I would completely agree that the burn-in issue would hardly be a dealbreaker. But they don't, and their reasoning is flawed and full of holes to say the least. Samsung could be just throwing fire on the hole burn-in issue to tout their own QLED TV technology, but then they make OLED displays for their phones. The fact that they already use the technology but opt not to use it on their TVs is an ... interesting decision. In fact, LG seems to be the only manufacturer of OLED TVs.... I was a bit surprised at that.

That's because they have patents on this type OLED (white OLED) from ...Kodak I believe? The type they used enabled them to bring it to a consumer level, but brightness is one of the trade offs of this iteration. Each year it improves, though.

E: here it is https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-says-white-oled-gives-it-ten-years-on-tv-competition/

Samsung used RGB OLED (AMOLED) which is fine for smaller screens, but problematic for larger screens. It's why they stopped making them and got out.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017
Just wanted to thank you for these rundowns - I think it's pretty clear that the sets we're talking about are *all* quite good, when you get down to it. It's tough when there are very few people in the enviable position you're in: having both an OLED and a current, high-end LCD in the same house!

Along those lines, how is non-HDR gaming on the 930?
Amazing, there is very little smearing or pixel blur on this set. Actually I haven't seen any. So, Hdr, and non hdr gaming Is excellent. The only area that the 930e is not excellent for gaming, is if you are going to have a 1080p source. I know on xbox s, ps4 pro, and xbox X you can output to 4k, so the input lag is only 24-25 ms. But for 1080p signals, like a 360, possibly the switch ?, the input lag is 42ms, which I wouldn't recommend .

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017

Christ. Stop. This is weirdly going into conspiracy theories. Use a credit card with extended warranty or buy the extra warranty if you feel like it's needed. The picture quality is really good for the price and that's not a conspiracy.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a 55 in Samsung mu 6300 over Black Friday can someone give me the recommended gaming setting, also should I turn sharpness to 0 ot leave it at 50

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Some UHD Blu Rays have recently started to come with Dolby Vision included as a HDR layer. If you want to see the difference between static metadata (HDR10) vs dynamic metadata (Dolby Vision and soon HDR10+) then have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voePq29-U6M

The high-end TVs will soon be promoting dynamic metadata HDR variants over the static HDR10 standard and eventually I think HDR10 will be left behind.

If you already own the 900E then I'd just hold off until your next upgrade so you can get HDR10+ as well as HDMI 2.1 etc.

Sony has neither confirmed nor denied that HDR10+ will or won't be coming to 2017 sets. The great part is that the x900e already has HDMI 2.0b, which can handle HDR10+. It sounds very encouraging, specially since Samsung will be supporting HDR10+ for 2016/17 models.

Nov 11, 2017
Christ. Stop. This is weirdly going into conspiracy theories. Use a credit card with extended warranty or buy the extra warranty if you feel like it's needed. The picture quality is really good for the price and that's not a conspiracy.
Your credit card simply extends the manufacturer's warranty by a year or 2, since Lg doesn't cover burn in, I don't see your credit card covering something the manufacturer doesn't .

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Nah man, the KS7000 is the European equivalent to the KS8000. I'd put it on the same range as the 900e. Same price range too. Both are killer sets imo. Owned a KS8000 for a year.

But dude, b7 bigots? Seriously? The only one I see in here starting fanboy flamewars and namecalling because of TV preference is you. Chill out, let's all have fun talking about our hobbies, you're being super passive aggressive and it makes you seem like a huge dick.
bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions. so yes, seriously. that is a word.

actual namecalling would be like calling someone "a huge dick". like you just did.

my fault for thinking he was referring to the current domestic Samsung 7000 series.

Last edited:

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Fellow B/C7 owners, how is CEC working for you?
My TV is faulty, since I got it I have many problems connecting hdmi devices to the TV.
À technician from the retailer will come tomorrow to see if they need to order a replacement (they don't have any in stock), and I want to be sure he understands my issue and replace the TV.

Yesterday, I realized that every device causing me issues has some sort of CEC function, while the snes mini or the Wii U work perfectly and they don't have any CEC compatibility.

Is it possible that some hardware managing the CEC function inside the tv is damaged and cause many troubles?

On another subject, if you want to demo Dolby Vision, Chef's table on Netflix looks amazing.
HDR makes the picture look so real, the interior shots with the sun hitting the windows, the fire, the city lights at night and the sky are amazing.
On the French edition first episode, there's a shot of a rainbow over a mansion in the country, it's so beautiful. The cooking is also very nice ;)

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the way OLED tech (currently) works, items that stay on your screen for hours on end, without any change in content are susceptible to "image retention". There are tools on the TV that you can use to mitigate this. And image retention is NOT the same as burn in. The latter cannot be removed. Due to static nature of HUDs in games if all you're doing is gaming, without watching other content, it might be better to just go with LED. However, if you plan to use the TV as a TV, and do more than game, OLED delivers a better picture and all around performance than LED. LEDs can get brighter at the moment which is important for HDR, but the black levels of OLED helps offset that.

Thank you for this info.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, TV seems to be a day late during transit. Just checked tracking and UPS says it might arrive on Wed. At least its this week.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
UHD Blurays aren't DV enabled? Seriously stop spreading BS in areas that you clearly have no clue to what you're talking about. People read this thread for advice and you're cluttering it up with a multitude of stuff that is not true.

To be fair, up until somewhat recently, they weren't. Also, the amount of Dolby Vision discs currently available is less than 30 that I know of. I think more people who are considering Dolby Vision for their TVs are doing it based off of the assumption that it will actually catch on and have a lot more releases soon. Then of course there's also streaming, which has quite a few titles now.

Ugh, TV seems to be a day late during transit. Just checked tracking and UPS says it might arrive on Wed. At least its this week.

Even if you've seen them briefly in a store, you might still be surprised at the difference in picture quality after you have yours set up. Remember the difference between even a decent LCD TV then jumping into Plasma? Going from Plasma to OLED is similar. About the only sets that could truly compare were the higher end Kuros, but even those aren't as good.

Last edited:

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
User has been warned: knock it off with the unnecessary aggressive behaviour towards other users and the TV-tech elitism.
I have a B6. Like everything else you post, you don't know what you're talking about.

You're free to discuss what you want and I'm free to debunk your ignorance and OLED fear mongering. Simple.

Or should I brace myself for another Xbox insult?
nah you're more interested in arguing semantics and pushing your agenda.

Indeed, people come here for practical advice and discussion. Good luck with correcting others and trying to sound smart though. You've done a wonderful job masking that with your recent posts. I won't be reading any more of it.

Yea I just bought the 900E though. I might return it, I may keep it. Still need to do some research and exploring issues surrounding Dolby Vision and futureproofing. I certainly don't like the idea of having just spent $150 on a stand-alone Sony 4K player that won't do DV.

There is a fine line between getting an entry-level 4K setup for ~$1200 and going overboard with overspending and future tech concerns, you know? I'm trying to find that delicate balance of a decent 4K setup that won't become instantly outdated or fail, causing remorse in a year. There's a lot to consider. I'm in this for the medium-long haul and cannot afford to make a mistake. I've definitely considered both the B7A and the 930E.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys relax...B7/C7/900e/930e/etc are all phenomenal sets within their technology/price brackets with their own advantages/disadvantages. No need to "pick a side" or for anyone to feel they need to justify their purchase of an OLED or LCD/LED over the other. Buy your sets, set em up and enjoy it and help others make their own decisions. Personally I went with the 55" x930e since I game on my TV more than I watch for now and love the thing coming from an old 1080p LG, it's an absolutely beast of a TV with great contrast and vivid colors and exceptional peak HDR performance (games on my X look outstanding).

I plan on buying an OLED in the next 2 years or so maybe even sooner if I get a house, but either way all of these sets are great and I don't think you can go wrong if you know what your looking for. Also, I don't think those who have concerned over IR/Burn-in should be dismissed...sure the issues may be overblown but it still something that is viable in someone's purchasing decision and should be known as the current state of oled's stand.

Enjoy your new shiny TV's people!

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Quick question how is the lag input on:

LG OLED 65"
Sony OLED 65"
SAMSUNG QLED 65"

(Money is not the problem, I just want an amazing tv)

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions. so yes, seriously. that is a word.

actual namecalling would be like calling someone "a huge dick". like you just did.

my fault for thinking he was referring to the current domestic Samsung 7000 series.
Is this dude for real?

Nobody is intolerant of your opinion, it's a fucking TV. Nobody has an agenda, we don't work for these TV companys. What the hell is going on? Stop attacking people, this is crazy.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Indeed, people come here for practical advice and discussion. Good luck with correcting others and trying to sound smart though. You've done a wonderful job masking that with your recent posts. I won't be reading any more of it.

Yea I just bought the 900E though. I might return it, I may keep it. Still need to do some research and exploring issues surrounding Dolby Vision and futureproofing. I certainly don't like the idea of having just spent $150 on a stand-alone Sony 4K player that won't do DV.

There is a fine line between getting an entry-level 4K setup for ~$1200 and going overboard with overspending and future tech concerns, you know? I'm trying to find that delicate balance of a decent 4K setup that won't become instantly outdated or fail, causing remorse in a year. There's a lot to consider. I'm in this for the medium-long haul and cannot afford to make a mistake. I've definitely considered both the B7A and the 930E.

You're playing yourself and showing out. You don't realize that people are laughing at YOU, not me, but you do you. You spout wrong information and everytime I call you on it, you ignore it, and continue on some personal crusade. Weird.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Future proofing is kinda pointless right now. There's already a new HDMI spec coming next year that the current 2017 tvs won't support anyway. Is Dolby Vision a nice feature? Sure. Is there alot of Dolby Vision content avaliable? Not really, but it's coming. Will it matter more a year from now? Probably. Which is why if you can get a $1000 TV today that meets most of your needs, then a year from now when the content is there, you can buy a hypothetical 900F with Dolby Vision and HDMI 2.1 for $1000 and sell your old tv for a few hundred bucks.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
still curious to hear some more opinions on Dolby Vision
It's nice to have, and certainly looks better than HDR10, but it's not a huge difference imo. Dolby Vision has more of a punch to it I think, but it's not substantial. That might change as studios get better at HDR grading films, both formats can vary wildly from one piece of content to the next.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Recommendations on how to go about calibrating an X900E? I see the rtings page for it and will probably use that as a general guide, but extra input is appreciated.

Unrelated to that, when are HDMI 2.1 sets going to be a thing people can purchase?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Vincent Teoh is a hilarious dude. Love his videos. Definitely worth subscribing to.

Yeah, I've watched a handful of his videos, but he could really learn how to self-edit better. His videos tend to be much longer than they need to be, because he constantly reiterates multiple times. 40+ minute video that should actually be closer to 30.

edit: Something he did make me wonder though was if HDR10+ will actually still be 10-bit. If that's the case, then it won't be identical to Dolby Vision in terms of picture quality, although considering how much of a step up dynamic is compared to static metadeta, it might not really even be noticeable at a normal viewing distance.

Last edited:

Lucent

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Recommendations on how to go about calibrating an X900E? I see the rtings page for it and will probably use that as a general guide, but extra input is appreciated.

Unrelated to that, when are HDMI 2.1 sets going to be a thing people can purchase?

Need help with this, too.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered a B7 and couldn't be more excited. Quick random question for anyone who might know... does the PS4 Pro actually render its UI in 4K? I know the One X still renders it at 1080. I don't know why, but non-native res system UIs bother me...

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys feel about going to an imax theatre?
I mean with regards to black level
I heard IMAX laser is great for that. But honestly, a good 70mm old school IMAX theater with a native movie is still the very best audiovisual content I've ever seen. The Dark Knight Rises at a real IMAX theater with 70mm projection was absolutely breathtaking. Still haven't seen anything better.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a B7 and couldn't be more excited. Quick random question for anyone who might know... does the PS4 Pro actually render its UI in 4K? I know the One X still renders it at 1080. I don't know why, but non-native res system UIs bother me...

Wait, are you talking about the dashboard, or in game UIs? Regardless, the dashboard is sharp enough whatever it's actually rendering at.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, my pops recently purchased a Samsung MU6290 43" (essentially a MU6300), and I was wondering what 4K Blu-ray players you would recommend. He got the Samsung UBD-M7500, but he wants to return it for something with wireless capability.

I understand it's a budget TV, so ideally I'm looking for something around $150 or less if possible.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, there is very little smearing or pixel blur on this set. Actually I haven't seen any. So, Hdr, and non hdr gaming Is excellent. The only area that the 930e is not excellent for gaming, is if you are going to have a 1080p source. I know on xbox s, ps4 pro, and xbox X you can output to 4k, so the input lag is only 24-25 ms. But for 1080p signals, like a 360, possibly the switch ?, the input lag is 42ms, which I wouldn't recommend .
Yup, the Switch is the only source I'd have to worry about, lag-wise. Then again, my current plasma has lag of *sounds of paper shuffling* 75ms?!?

I think I'll be happy, regardless.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I mean those tech videos are cool. But I was more wondering about the practical applications of DV and where you all think we will be at this time next year in the state of the industry? Do you think DV will become a standard? Will HDMI 2.1 be the new thing everyone is buying with their TVs? Or do you think we'll be at close to where we are now, kind of like this year over last year?

If you spend too much time on forums like this it starts sounding like everything is one year away. That it's a good time to wait. Sometimes you need to stop and take a step back in order to look at the big picture. The more we talk, the more I feel like I have no business buying anything TV related right now. like wtf did I just buy a brand new $150 4k player if it doesn't have DV.

Status
Not open for further replies.