• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's been discussed quite much in detail on AVS. The users that have a deeper understanding how TVs work are stating that Image Retention does not necessarily lead to Burn In. See here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...nt-future-oled-tv-owners-10.html#post54949910

You'll see that actually there are two separate conditions. Here's one example from a user who has over 10,000 posts on AVS, and has been a member there for 15 years:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ent-future-oled-tv-owners-9.html#post54947622

" ... Temporary image-retention is caused by transistor threshold shift that can be sensed and compensated for internally, while permanent burn-in is caused by differential aging, which cannot be sensed internally.

While the impact of both of these mechanisms on image quality can 'appear' identical, they have nothing to do with each other..."

Other users, like this one, agree with the above sentiment: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-burn-test-includes-oleds-3.html#post54806272

Lastly, I need to amend my statement a bit. It seems that none of the brands cover burn-in (LG, Sony, or Panasonic). Samsung has already begun using the BI issue as a marketing tactic against OLED, and stated at IFA that BI is one of the principal reasons why they have not opted to use the technology in their TVs.

Perhaps the most telling of all: The warranty is only for one year to begin with. I could understand if the brands chose not to cover BI if the warranty was for 3+ years. Getting BI in less than a year is an obvious defect and should be covered.

Some of the experts on AVS forums are now concerned that the premature aging of pixels (BI) is cumulative; which means that in certain cases, it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'.

And yet...

Note that this test only tests the short term image retention and not the permanent burn-in that may occur with a longer exposition to static images. We are currently running a burn-in test that should give us clue on how each type of TVs respond to a longer exposure to static image and you can read more on this test here.

It doesn't matter what the mechanical differences between image retention and burn-in are, when the way you end up with both, are from the same habits.

Also very worth noting, and something I had already assumed was the case for a long time (pre OLEDs too):

I'm curious if the OLED Light setting for the B6 has any impact on image retention/burn in. In other words, if the OLED Light is at maximum brightness, does this have any impact on image retention?

OLED light makes a massive difference to burn-in; when the OLEDs are brighter they burn in faster. To account for this we set all three TVs to the same brightness of 175 cd/m² on white, to simulate typical living room viewing.

This might explain why some who are gaming with their OLED at lower levels have been reporting less (or no) issues overall compared to those that have it up higher to compensate for brighter lit rooms. This also might make HDR gaming even more dubious though.

Last edited:

LiKellow

Nov 13, 2017
Liskeard, Cornwall
I currently have a Samsung KS7000 (UK) and after following Digital Foundry's guide to configuring the television for HDR and games, I must say I wasn't all too impressed with the HDR implementation in Assassins Creed: Origins. I wasn't able to compare with the HDR disabled, but I wasn't noticing the deep and vibrant colours others has described. In fact, it looked quite bland and lifeless.

During the Black Friday manic weekend, I picked up a Dell UltraSharp U2718Q 27" monitor, and although it's "Dell HDR" and peaks at 350nits, the picture was significantly different from the KS7000 in the best way possible. I could actually see what people had been describing HDR as in recent threads. I found the image to somewhat clearer as well, and the input lag was better for it being a monitor rather than a television display, even with game mode enabled.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
i was set to buy the lg b7 but this thread stopped me from doing it. i cant deal with IR o BI because it will be a gaming tv for the most part. im considering now the sony e905x but i dont know if thats what the x900e is called in my country or not.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I got the B7 on Saturday and have been loving it, but I'd be lying if I said this thread didn't make me a bit nervous. I'd say my ratio of gaming to tv/movie time is likely 75%/25% so I'm questioning whether I should have gone with the X900E instead. Those inky inky blacks are so delicious though. I had never previously spent more than £450 on a TV so this represents a massive step-up on every level. I'm still taken aback when the screen goes completely black, like on a loading screen, and it is actually pitch black, not a kind of dark grey with splodges of backlight everywhere.

I own a One X but I've been sensible and have been finishing off SOMA on PS4 before indulging in some 4K/HDR content, since if I drop the game I'll end up not finishing it. Even though it takes no advantage of 4K or HDR, there is still a very clear step-up from playing it on my LCD. The aforematched blacks create so much contrast, torch use now feels essential compared to before since dark corners are actually dark, and the very numerous flourescent lights in the game positively glow against the dark backdrops. It looks fantastic and is only a mid-budget indie game. I can't wait to see what proper high budget 4K HDR content offers. I don't recall seeing any IR at all so far.

I really love the remote/interface too. WebOS is snappy, clear and intuitive, and the magic remote feels like a game changer (don't know if other brands have similar remotes but I've never used one before). Navigating TV menus and apps has always been a tedious chore for me - the addition of the pointer suddenly makes navigating them a breeze. I now doubt whether I will ever use the video apps on my PS4 or XBox again when they're limited by clunky controller input. Even my Chromecast suddenly feels redundant when everything is so easy straight from the TV.

To put my mind at ease regarding IR/BI, I might just adjust my habits a bit so more TV content gets shown in between gaming sessions. Normally I wouldn't put the TV straight on when I get home from work and am cooking dinner but I might stick the TV on when I get home in the background so that I'm not constantly just coming home and going straight to gaming. I have also developed the bad habit of leaving games paused on the screen while I go make dinner/go to the toilet/pop to the shops. Seems like another good opportunity to stick some video content on in between sessions.

I'm very happy so far and can't wait to give it a proper workout once SOMA is finished.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Long story short, I ended up with a cheap 55" Samsung. It's an MU6103.

My existing TV is a beautiful Panasonic plasma P42U30. I bought it in 2012 so I was certain LCD technology has surpassed plasma in every way by now.

It seems that isn't the case, at least with my new Samsung. Super Mario Odyssey has a noticeable blur when I spin the camera around. Colour banding also appears when the sky is dark.

I'm having bad luck with the new stuff as well. Forza 7's dynamic optimisation refuses to hit 60FPS in 4K. The only thing I opt in for is 60FPS VSync. If I force everything to very low is nails 60 no issue. This means the game is too stubborn to maintain performance.

I tried enabling HDR in Windows but the screen just went very dark and that was that.

I wasn't actually prepared to buy a 4K TV any time soon, so my PC isn't good to go either. Still, I should be able to squeeze out a fake 4K with a 970. I looked up a method I remembered from Digital Foundry's "4K On A Budget" series to set the resolution to 1800p, which somewhat approximates optimisation methods on consoles. It's "As simple as that" according to the videos, but the TV doesn't like 1800p and refuses to display until I remote into my PC and restore the resolution. I did get 3200x1800 to show up in a game once, but it worked for Cuphead and not with Forza 7. The option appears in the Hitman boot window, but the display drops as soon as I kick off a benchmark.

This 55" TV sure is much bigger than my 42" plasma, but in certain aspects my plasma from five years ago still has it beat.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
The screen goes dark for a reason, to stop you from being blind by certain TVs.

You have to enable HDR that way then go into the game.

I'm sure you can create a batch file that enables it so you don't have to go into settings all the time. I do it with refresh rate.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Sweating bullets here.

Said screw it on Fr and ordered the Samsung MU6199 58" on Amazon for 646€ 'cos my ten year old Sharp is getting crotchety and doesn't turn on every now and then. My brother has the same panel in curved and it looks quite a lot better than what I have, so why not. Well, I visted him yesterday to watch Gears and HDR promo vids. It's okay. I guess. My S8 screen slaughters it in HDR scenes, showing how little HDR capability this panel has.

Now Amazon has the LG B7 and damn, it's way more than I wanted to spend. But it's supposed to be great.

Now I'm not sure what to do, get an okay, cheap tv which is still a tremendous upgrade to what I have now and buy another one down the line with free sync, HDMI 2.1, matured HDR tech etc and spend roughly the same as getting a good (very good?) tv NOW but for a boat load of money more? I could spend that on other gifts for myself like a PS VR, a pro, a Scorpio etc. Urgh.

Edit: Aaaaand it's gone. Fuck this. I'm not buying ANY tv now. It's stressing me out foe no good.

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I think I had some IR with my B7A like right when I first used it the first day, not for long though, but haven't seen it since.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I currently have a Samsung KS7000 (UK) and after following Digital Foundry's guide to configuring the television for HDR and games, I must say I wasn't all too impressed with the HDR implementation in Assassins Creed: Origins. I wasn't able to compare with the HDR disabled, but I wasn't noticing the deep and vibrant colours others has described. In fact, it looked quite bland and lifeless.

During the Black Friday manic weekend, I picked up a Dell UltraSharp U2718Q 27" monitor, and although it's "Dell HDR" and peaks at 350nits, the picture was significantly different from the KS7000 in the best way possible. I could actually see what people had been describing HDR as in recent threads. I found the image to somewhat clearer as well, and the input lag was better for it being a monitor rather than a television display, even with game mode enabled.
Did you remember to turn off the energy saver mode on your tv? It's so damn stupid it's enables by default but that is what destroys the hdr image.

JetMan07

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Dolby Vision is another form of HDR. There are two out now: HDR10 and Dolby Vision. HDR10 is free and thus you'll find it everywhere, DV requires paying licensing to Dolby iirc, but it is superior to HDR10 in every way. More and more content is becoming DV enabled. If you're buying a TV at this stage, it wouldn't make sense to not get a set with both.

The 930e is a great TV, congrats.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm really glad I didn't get the 900e now.

Nov 11, 2017
And yet...

It doesn't matter what the mechanical differences between image retention and burn-in are, when the way you end up with both, are from the same habits.

Also very worth noting, and something I had already assumed was the case for a long time (pre OLEDs too):

This might explain why some who are gaming with their OLED at lower levels have been reporting less (or no) issues overall compared to those that have it up higher to compensate for brighter lit rooms. This also might make HDR gaming even more dubious though.

Which might explain why they went in mid cycle on the 6 series, and gimped the hdr game modes, in the name of correct tone mapping, which I'm not buying. And have now carried this over into the 7 series, its not a bug, and Ill be shocked if its ever fixed.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I got the B7 on Saturday and have been loving it, but I'd be lying if I said this thread didn't make me a bit nervous. I'd say my ratio of gaming to tv/movie time is likely 75%/25% so I'm questioning whether I should have gone with the X900E instead. Those inky inky blacks are so delicious though. I had never previously spent more than £450 on a TV so this represents a massive step-up on every level. I'm still taken aback when the screen goes completely black, like on a loading screen, and it is actually pitch black, not a kind of dark grey with splodges of backlight everywhere.

I own a One X but I've been sensible and have been finishing off SOMA on PS4 before indulging in some 4K/HDR content, since if I drop the game I'll end up not finishing it. Even though it takes no advantage of 4K or HDR, there is still a very clear step-up from playing it on my LCD. The aforematched blacks create so much contrast, torch use now feels essential compared to before since dark corners are actually dark, and the very numerous flourescent lights in the game positively glow against the dark backdrops. It looks fantastic and is only a mid-budget indie game. I can't wait to see what proper high budget 4K HDR content offers. I don't recall seeing any IR at all so far.

I really love the remote/interface too. WebOS is snappy, clear and intuitive, and the magic remote feels like a game changer (don't know if other brands have similar remotes but I've never used one before). Navigating TV menus and apps has always been a tedious chore for me - the addition of the pointer suddenly makes navigating them a breeze. I now doubt whether I will ever use the video apps on my PS4 or XBox again when they're limited by clunky controller input. Even my Chromecast suddenly feels redundant when everything is so easy straight from the TV.

To put my mind at ease regarding IR/BI, I might just adjust my habits a bit so more TV content gets shown in between gaming sessions. Normally I wouldn't put the TV straight on when I get home from work and am cooking dinner but I might stick the TV on when I get home in the background so that I'm not constantly just coming home and going straight to gaming. I have also developed the bad habit of leaving games paused on the screen while I go make dinner/go to the toilet/pop to the shops. Seems like another good opportunity to stick some video content on in between sessions.

I'm very happy so far and can't wait to give it a proper workout once SOMA is finished.

Keep the TV and enjoy it. The Sony x900e is a step down.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Bought a new 65 inch B7 this week...I was having a bit of buyers remorse upgrading from a KS8000 until I watched a movie in the dark. Was pretty much sold after that..
I did the same thing, impulse buy.
Potential buyer's remorse here too (it hasn't arrived yet, and I think I can send it back).
You had buyer remore after or before testing the B7?
My fears are:
- not bright enough. I've read horror stories about HDR game mode in particular. I don't like dark tone mapping (had to deal with it with my Epson projector, I fixed it after a lot of tweaking). I prefer a compromise, not a total dim (which I hate) or a total clipped solution. Is it true the image is too dim in hdr game mode? What about hdr movie mode? What's the opinion a ks8000 user?
- image retention. I use games and pc (even for work) a lot more than I watch regular programs. Will this damage the panel?
I bought the tv for it's amazing viewing angles (really terrible on the KS. That's really important to me), and and DV support (a nice addition), but I'm starting to feel it wasn't the right decision for my using habits.
Don't really care about sdr at this point (which I know oled does best).
In the end, what do you think of the B7 compared to the KS8000?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Potential buyer's remorse here too (it hasn't arrived yet, and I think I can send it back).
My fears are:
- not bright enough. I've read horror stories about HDR game mode in particular. I don't like dark tone mapping (had to deal with it with my Epson projector, I fixed it after a lot of tweaking). I prefer a compromise, not a total dim (which I hate) or a total clipped solution. Is it true the image is too dim in hdr game mode? What about hdr movie mode? What's the opinion a ks8000 user?
- image retention. I use games and pc (even for work) a lot more than I watch regular programs. Will this damage the panel?
I bought the tv for it's amazing viewing angles (really terrible on the KS. That's really important to me), and and DV support (a nice addition), but I'm starting to feel it wasn't the right decision for my using habits.

It was immediately after I setup the TV. But I honestly think a lot of it came from the fact that I got into a bit of a tiff with my wife so my immediate thought was "Was that fight worth having for this TV?" :P

I'd say what you think of the B7 will depend on your use case. I use my TV in a fairly lit room for a good chunk of the day so a lot of the benefits of an OLED was admittedly difficult to see at the beginning. This thing really shines when it's used in a darker room. Even my wife exclaimed "WOW" when she saw how dark the blacks are when we watched Ex Machina with 4K + HDR in the dark. It's also really apparent when you have a scene, whether it's movie or a game, where there's a stark constrast between light and dark. I was playing Horizon where the trees were essentially black and the sky was super bright and it looked really really good.

The viewing angle is definitely solid and as a PC gamer (I also have a PC hooked up to the TV), having the option to play games at 120hz on 1080p is also pretty awesome. The brightness in HDR hasn't been noticeably worse (The windflares in Gears of War 4 triggered the squint reflex like my old TV) and I haven't ran into any weird issues with image retention yet. I have noticed that ABL (auto dimming) will kick in when using the PC if I have the OLED lights turned up too high. I also have noticed that some uniform backgrounds, like menus on the Xbox, has some slight gradient as well.

Overall, it's been worth it for me. But if you mostly use your TV during daylight/brightly lit rooms, the pros might not be as apparent compared to the KS8000. Hope that helps!

Adobe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving my C7 so far, I use it for gaming and tested it with a few movies and it looks insane, coming from LCD, seeing things like logo's in a pitch dark screen when starting a game is something else lol! there are some minor things that I wish they weren't there but no tv is perfect. I also haven't had any image retention so far.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
seriously guys, i have had an E6 for 1.5 years and thousands of hours on it. i have rarely seen any IR and don't have any burn in that i can see. if you don't abuse your tv, you'll be fine. these tvs are not really meant to be PC monitors and gamed on them 24/7. if you play games frequently but also watch tv, movies, etc. you'll be fine. also, don't see your brightness and everything to be 100 and eye searing, oled light does not need to be set super high. i'm sure that's part of the issue is that some people watch tv or play games on vivid mode.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Under 'reference material - games' I can't recommend Rez Infinite (Area X especially), Thumper, and Polybius.

On an OLED in 4K these games provide a look that is unmatched on all other displays.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
That's definitely a borked panel.
yeah. Which can happen out of the box, or maybe it shows up after three years of ownership.

Yeah i think Ive decided on the X930E. I just don't want worry about IB and i def don't want to baby the thing.
I feel the same way man. I want the brightest LCD for both video games and sports, and so that I don't have to give it extra special attention while still worrying about IR.

26870324729_5bb2ba283c_z.jpg

Enjoying a nice game on my OLED with a static ticker. It IS possible to enjoy a OLED for what it is, a TV :p
yeah, the same way it's possible to enjoy an Xbox as an all-in-one gaming machine.

If you play the same game with the same HUD for multiple hours every day, make sure you run an alternate form of content (like a DVD or cable broadcast) for a couple hours afterward before shutting the TV off.

Basically, if you're using a TV as a TV and not strictly a "gaming monitor", your chances of getting actual permanent burn-in are almost negligible. This is how I've been treating mine, and so far zero problems, but I always make it a point to watch some kind of full screen video content after more than three hours of gaming with HUDs on screen.
lol what! Exactly. I'm all for being solutions-oriented, but I don't want to have to babysit my television under any circumstances. Run alternate content for "a couple of hours afterward" is a complete joke for anyone that has anything resembling a normal lifestyle.

Some of the experts on AVS forums are now concerned that the premature aging of pixels (BI) is cumulative; which means that in certain cases, it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'.
Exactly this too! You can immediately dismiss the opinions of anyone that pretends to understand the long-term effects of burn-in potential. We simply don't know yet. All we know for certain is there is a much higher rate of problems relative to LED LCDs.

People that replace their televisions every couple of years don't have to care or worry about burn-in. But most people buy their expensive sets to last much longer than that, more like 5-8 years.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
My fears are:
I also came from a KS8000 to a B7
The B7 is absolutely better in every way. I didn't think HDR was THAT good on the KS8000, but I'm blown away on the B7. Even with game mode, don't find it dim at all but ymmv. Standard mode is brighter, but the whites are all clipped and blown the fuck out. I think HDR game looks better imo. It DEFINITELY looks better than anything on my KS8000.

I use the TV as a PC monitor also, every day. Haven't seen any IR or BI at all. I check for BI once a week with slides out of curiosity. 4 months now, no issues. Couple thousand hours.

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
I can't tell you how many times I've fallen asleep and woke up to my Yamaha receiver's piano static splash screen displayed into my B6 oled tv for hours. I don't see any IR or burn in so /shrug

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Long story short, I ended up with a cheap 55" Samsung. It's an MU6103.

My existing TV is a beautiful Panasonic plasma P42U30. I bought it in 2012 so I was certain LCD technology has surpassed plasma in every way by now.

It seems that isn't the case, at least with my new Samsung. Super Mario Odyssey has a noticeable blur when I spin the camera around. Colour banding also appears when the sky is dark.

I'm having bad luck with the new stuff as well. Forza 7's dynamic optimisation refuses to hit 60FPS in 4K. The only thing I opt in for is 60FPS VSync. If I force everything to very low is nails 60 no issue. This means the game is too stubborn to maintain performance.

I tried enabling HDR in Windows but the screen just went very dark and that was that.

I wasn't actually prepared to buy a 4K TV any time soon, so my PC isn't good to go either. Still, I should be able to squeeze out a fake 4K with a 970. I looked up a method I remembered from Digital Foundry's "4K On A Budget" series to set the resolution to 1800p, which somewhat approximates optimisation methods on consoles. It's "As simple as that" according to the videos, but the TV doesn't like 1800p and refuses to display until I remote into my PC and restore the resolution. I did get 3200x1800 to show up in a game once, but it worked for Cuphead and not with Forza 7. The option appears in the Hitman boot window, but the display drops as soon as I kick off a benchmark.

This 55" TV sure is much bigger than my 42" plasma, but in certain aspects my plasma from five years ago still has it beat.
well yeah, you bought a low-end TV dude. I'm not sure what you were expecting. In that price range a TCL-P607 would probably perform better, initially. You might want to check this oneout.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm really glad I didn't get the 900e now.
don't listen to him. He's one of the several LG B7 bigoted owners on here; just look at his post history. The 930E is nice but there is a big difference between $1000 and $1500. What you would be getting amounts to: a future Dolby Vision firmware update, slightly better local dimming, a brighter screen, and the better X1 Extreme processor. Going above a 900E is where we reach a level of considerable diminishing returns on what you get for your money. That's why it was the most popular TV this year.

I want the 930E as well. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it. But I'm having trouble justifying paying the extra +50% towards it when DV isn't really a thing yet except for a few Netflix programs. That money might be better spent on your next TV set. Most people I have talked to can't justify the 930E right now either.

Last edited:

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
lol what! Exactly. I'm all for being solutions-oriented, but I don't want to have to babysit my television under any circumstances. Run alternate content for "a couple of hours afterward" is a complete joke for anyone that has anything resembling a normal lifestyle.
A "normal lifestyle" would very likely have alternate content by itself, so no need to go out of your way. Playing the same content non stop without alternating would seem to be an extreme case to me. I have a wife and two kids using the B7 regularly and I've had not issues, including many long sports and gaming sessions.

I've owned several Plasma sets before the B7, and I've not had any problems dealing with IR given the image quality benefits that these sets have provided for me. I'm happy for others if they want an "idiot proof" set, but even my wife will now notice how poor some of our family/friends TVs look compared to ours. I could probably fix some of it with a decent calibration, but I've given up trying to help others with their TVs when they don't even understand what was wrong to begin with.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
A "normal lifestyle" would very likely have alternate content by itself, so no need to go out of your way. Playing the same content non stop without alternating would seem to be an extreme case to me. I have a wife and two kids using the B7 regularly and I've had not issues, including many long sports and gaming sessions.

I've owned several Plasma sets before the B7, and I've not had any problems dealing with IR given the image quality benefits that these sets have provided for me. I'm happy for others if they want an "idiot proof" set, but even my wife will now notice how poor some of our family/friends TVs look compared to ours. I could probably fix some of it with a decent calibration, but I've given up trying to help others with their TVs when they don't even understand what was wrong to begin with.
Great. The LG B7 is an excellent TV for the money, and for people that want to go that route. :)

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, the same way it's possible to enjoy an Xbox as an all-in-one gaming machine.

You good bro? I don't even have a Xbox, fam.

You're doing a lot of fear mongering in this thread about OLEDs. You went with a x930e. Congrats. Stop trying to devalue or spook others from enjoying their OLED or future OLED purchases. Ive said if you 100% game, then LED tech is probably better for you. However most people do more than just game on sets this expensive, hence content on the screen will naturally vary over the course of ownership. It's not living some kind of alternative lifestyle or whatever you called it.

Last edited:

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I now have a 55" C7 and a 65" 900E in my house. I'm trying to decide which one to keep, and it's tough. I haven't had much time to play with the 900E yet, but there are differences:

- Build quality is fine on the 900E, but the C7 panel looks amazing, the "picture on glass" look
- HDR brightness is really noticeable on the 900E. Games especially - I was used to the HDR gaming mode on the C7, it almost feels much better on the 900E, even if it may not be technically as accurate.
- Glare seems worse on the 900E so far, but that could be the bigger panel affecting things.
- I had never used android os for tvs before, but I already hate it. The WebOS on the C7 is way better.
- The magic remote for the C7 is way better, the 900E remote is okay, but nothing special. The C7 remote is usable and well designed.
- Input lag seems fine on both of these, even though the C7 is faster. I can't really tell the difference between 21 and 31 ms that easily.
- I don't really notice the narrow viewing angles on the 900E. Even just walking back and forth in front of the TV, it's noticeable but doesn't seem as bad as all the reviews say it is.
- I have not seen any burn in or image retention on the C7 as of yet, after a few weeks. (I'm worried about this, probably the biggest reason for me to get rid of the C7)
- The C7 definitely has the better picture, but the 900E is still very solid. Maybe not inky blacks, but it still does a great job.

I need to get some better settings entered into the 900E, will reevaluate the picture again.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I now have a 55" C7 and a 65" 900E in my house. I'm trying to decide which one to keep, and it's tough. I haven't had much time to play with the 900E yet, but there are differences:

- Build quality is fine on the 900E, but the C7 panel looks amazing, the "picture on glass" look
- HDR brightness is really noticeable on the 900E. Games especially - I was used to the HDR gaming mode on the C7, it almost feels much better on the 900E, even if it may not be technically as accurate.
- Glare seems worse on the 900E so far, but that could be the bigger panel affecting things.
- I had never used android os for tvs before, but I already hate it. The WebOS on the C7 is way better.
- The magic remote for the C7 is way better, the 900E remote is okay, but nothing special. The C7 remote is usable and well designed.
- Input lag seems fine on both of these, even though the C7 is faster. I can't really tell the difference between 21 and 31 ms that easily.
- I don't really notice the narrow viewing angles on the 900E. Even just walking back and forth in front of the TV, it's noticeable but doesn't seem as bad as all the reviews say it is.
- I have not seen any burn in or image retention on the C7 as of yet, after a few weeks. (I'm worried about this, probably the biggest reason for me to get rid of the C7)
- The C7 definitely has the better picture, but the 900E is still very solid. Maybe not inky blacks, but it still does a great job.

I need to get some better settings entered into the 900E, will reevaluate the picture again.

What it comes down to is do you prefer the contrast, colours and the deep blacks of the OLED or do you value the significantly brighter HDR picture more?

That's the choice you make with OLED vs LCD.

If you want my opinion, I'd definitely stick with the OLED if I had to choose between those two, but if you were to compare the high-end OLED with a high-end LCD like the 930/940E or even better, the ZD9 then the choice becomes a whole lot more difficult.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't listen to him. He's one of the several LG B7 bigoted owners on here; just look at his post history. The 930E is nice but there is a big difference between $1000 and $1500. What you would be getting amounts to: a future Dolby Vision firmware update, slightly better local dimming, a brighter screen, and the better X1 Extreme processor. Going above a 900E is where we reach a level of considerable diminishing returns on what you get for your money. That's why it was the most popular TV this year.

It was? Do you have a source for that? Seems like there are a lot more OLED buyers here, particularly of the 2017 LG OLEDs.

The absolute blacks on OLED are a game-changer for sure. It spoils you for other displays.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the people scared of image retention and burn in and I get it, I had the same fears and that's why I never purchased a plasma TV despite the picture quality improvements.

I'll reiterate here that I have the Sony A1E OLED and purchased it within a week or two of official launch. I understand that most people in here are opting for LG models, but LG provides the panel for the Sony as well.

• My usage is 85% gaming and 15% Netflix & YouTube.
  • I use a PS4 pro and a Nintendo Switch, and I consistently play games with persistent UI elements.
  • I've played Overwatch, Fortnite, FFXV, Horizon Zero Dawn and many other games.
  • On weekends I'll play for 5+ hour sessions, sometimes 10.
  • I've not experienced any image retention nor burn in.
  • Again, I've had my TV since launch basically.
My friend just picked up a 55B7 on Black Friday and I'll check in with him throughout the coming months, but as far as my personal experience I think the fears are blown way out of proportion. I'm sure it exists but take it from someone who's fallen asleep with YouTube sitting on the screen multiple times. OLED is the truth, if you can afford it, it's absolutely worth it.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
i was set to buy the lg b7 but this thread stopped me from doing it. i cant deal with IR o BI because it will be a gaming tv for the most part. im considering now the sony e905x but i dont know if thats what the x900e is called in my country or not.

YMMV, I've had a B7 for 2 months and I'm in love with using it for gaming. No problems thus far :)

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
User has been warned: stop with the personal attacks.
lol Nothing still can't let it go? Is he jealous he doesn't have an OLED? Did his parents give all of their attention to an OLED panel over him as a child? Is it all just for the greater good?

We may never know.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
well yeah, you bought a low-end TV dude. I'm not sure what you were expecting. In that price range a TCL-P607 would probably perform better, initially. You might want to check this oneout.

that's a low mid-range set as well. You get what you pay for when it comes to televisions. Until you get into the high tier of performance of course. ;)

I want the 930E as well. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it. But I'm having trouble justifying paying the extra +50% towards it when DV isn't really a thing yet except for a few Netflix programs. That money might be better spent on your next TV set. Most people I have talked to can't justify the 930E right now either.

"Don't listen to him listen to me. Trust me, Nothing!"

From you spreading legit FUD about DV availability and drive by posting because cause of my avatar, you're showing yourself , m8.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The 930E is worth the price difference over the 900E if you can afford it.

Also if you own an Apple TV 4K or a UHD Blu Ray player, DV should matter to you if you want the best HDR viewing experience right now. It's not just on some Netflix shows as Nothing suggests.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
What?

Anyway, everyone who's freaking out over image retention and burn-in should read this: http://televisions.reviewed.com/fea...creen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention

Almost two years old now, but still relevant.

Also, this is probably the most important takeaway from the entire article:

Thank you for linking that article. Aside from the turning off and on method, this feels exactly like how I treated my plasma back in the day. Image retention was a problem but eventually over time, not even a problem and I played games for hours without issues. Just need to be a bit careful especially when it's new.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Guess the entire Vudu uhd HDR collection supporting Dolby Vision doesn't count then.

https://www.vudu.com/movies/Movies_mobile.html#featured/12434

If you are streaming Dolby vision is close to being as ubiquitous as hdr10 right now. The main area Dolby vision is lacking is in 4k disc support but this is growing. As streaming gets more important better to be the biggest player in the streaming world.

Nov 11, 2017
My fears are:
If you still have the KS8000 , just use that for gaming. Oleds are great for movies, decent for broadcast tv, and sub par for hdr gaming.

I say that on a gaming forum, assuming that you game more than a couple hrs per week.

If I were to compare my Sony 930 to my 65 B7, here are the positives for each.

Lg 65B7
Great Contrast- black levels
Great Web/Smart Features
Great for 4k/1080p movies / Netflix- But a clear step below the 930E for broadcast tv/cable , as the scaler is sub par

Sony 930E
Great Black Levels/Contrast- not oled deep, but with backlighting its really close
Android Smart Tv- pretty good- not as good as Web Os on the Lg- But I assume everyone here has an Xbox or Ps4 which work well for Netflix, amazon, etc
Great for 4k/1080p movies/Netflix- A clear step up for Cable/Broadcast Tv due to the scaling chip. For example, on my oled, Football looks very soft from the sideline view, the Sony looks much sharper, and deals with source material better
No Worry of Burn In
No Dim Hdr Game mode (The 930 looks exceptional for hdr gaming- much better than the B7

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
You good bro? I don't even have a Xbox, fam.

You're doing a lot of fear mongering in this thread about OLEDs. You went with a x930e. Congrats. Stop trying to devalue or spook others from enjoying their OLED or future OLED purchases.
and you are a B7 bigot, so who cares. LOL. All you do is defend the B7 because you purchased one.

Unlike you, I understand the benefits of the competition (OLEDs, in my case) and that they have several good qualities. Fantastic blacks, best HDR in class, best movie viewing experience, DV ready, etc. The LG B7A is a very enticing purchase.

I'm free to discuss the TVs I'm interested in (or disinterested) without interference from the likes of you.

It was? Do you have a source for that? Seems like there are a lot more OLED buyers here, particularly of the 2017 LG OLEDs.
I know right! It sure does, doesn't it!

You'd have to talk to the people that are selling TVs this year. No doubt, the B7A has been popular. At my stores they have been moving the most 900E units, aside from all of the budget TVs of course.

The B7A and the 900E are undoubtedly the best valued enthusiast sets of '17.

The 930E is worth the price difference over the 900E if you can afford it.

Also if you own an Apple TV 4K or a UHD Blu Ray player, DV should matter to you if you want the best HDR viewing experience right now. It's not just on some Netflix shows as Nothing suggests.
okay, enlighten me. Sell me on Dolby Vision content then. I am sincerely interested in hearing about this. I am currently in this dilemma, myself. The Sony sets don't even do it yet. To the vast majority of consumers DV has no bearing on any current viewing habits.

So if I'm not a super early adopter + tech enthusiast, why do I care about spending hundreds or thousands of dollars extra in order to get a high-end DV compatible TV set? (I already realize that it would be future-proofing for HDR content. I'm gonna need more than that.) This would be helpful to many people on here. I bought a 4K UHD player and its not DV compatible. It's the Sony 800X, one of the most popular units this season. Am I going to regret my purchase? These are all things to consider.

I have talked to several salesmen in the last month and asked them "What's up with Dolby Vision? Do I want to purchase it, and why?" Everyone has been pretty dismissive of it so far. People seem to fit into one of two categories: 1."get the B7A. it also has DV." or 2."it doesn't matter / it's future tech / simply part of the format war".

Let's hear some compelling reasons for Dolby Vision. most UHD blu rays aren't DV enabled.

Last edited:

PhilouFelin

Account closed at user request.
Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered why people said that HDR is dim when gaming on an OLED. It turned out my HDR mode is set on « Normal » and not « Games » !! I didn't even noticed the input lag. I'll try setting it up to « Games » to see the dim HDR, but I guess I'll keep it to « Normal » as I don't notice the input lag. Unless there's nothing else I'm missing in that mode compared to the gaming one.

Last edited:

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm fairpoint. Maybe try an EDID editor or something to remive the 4096x option?
I had totally tried to do that before, but didn't realize you could edit the specific resolutions that were listed in the extension block. I found the 4096 resolutions, removed them with CRU, restarted my PC, and I'm all good now. Thanks for leading me to give it another try !

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody help me, what color depth and space should I have for Xbox One X and TCL s405?

Currently have 30 bits per pixel (10-bit) and Standard. Just wanted to make sure those seem like the right ones to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.