Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hwoarang_%28T7%29.png

The fuck happened?
They all seem to have these long flowing capes, robes, bits of armour and shitty tribal tattoos everywhere. I thought Claudio looked pretty decent until I saw his face tattoo. It comes across as really tacky.

Even Miguel has bad tribal marks over his jacket. They look like a 13 year old boys idea of cool and edgy. There's no style or simplicity. Half the colours clash and there's just random bullshit everywhere.

Tekken 5 is probably the best, and 6 wasn't bad. Did they get a new designer for 7? Leroy is dope but he's the only I can say that about.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Takuji Kawano, best known as Soulcalibur's lead character designer, had a lot of influence on Tekken 7's designs. He also designed characters for older Tekken games, but I don't think he had as big as an influence as he had this time. Some characters and their costumes in Tekken 7 look like they literally came out of Soulcalibur.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Tribal tats have been a Tekken thing for as long as I can remember, but this Hwoarang design hurts my soul.

If I were to rationalise this phenomenon, I would guess they're just jumping the shark and feel the need to make bolder design choices with each entry. Looking at it outside of context really highlights how awful it is.

These default outfits should be unlockable/DLC costumes instead, they're so wild and garish. You'd think all that visual noise would detract from silhouettes as well.

legendofjelda

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I think they're generally the best designs since the start of the series. Then again, I'm a huge fan of SoulCalibur, so I guess Tyaren has a point.

MattXIII

Oct 28, 2017
Tekken 7 is freakin' great but yeah, most characters are over designed and seem generally dated

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hwoarang is really bad. Most are dope tho.

But seriously, Hwoarang is awful. Was such a simple but striking character when he was new in tekken 3. That jacket fucking kills me.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Hwoarang is just terrible. His hair! They took the damn 'ranga' out of Hwoarang!

Hell, bring back his military look from T4. At least that made a little more sense that this weird space pirate fashion statement.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I love tekken 7 and agree 1000000000000000000000000000%. Its so bad. Everyone besides the guest characters and Mishima look horrible with their new designs

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
You mean this Tekken 5? (This is his default costume!)

Come on OP this shit is even more over the top then what you posted. He has 19 belts and 4 of them on on his hands. You're just not remembering the game is all.
8dde363bb326ad268122ce3bf49229b4.jpg

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I suppose it's all art direction being a bit too faithful to the original CG intros in the first games. They all have that kind of look while trying to seem more realistic as years go by, if that makes any sense. In the end, they just look... unique.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Atleast he doesnt have the random eyepatch

They are both equally nonsense over the top designs. If OP is gonna reminisce about style or simplicity you have just never really looked at Tekken designs. So many of them are crazy nonsense. It's fun and silly, but never "stylish" lol.

I remember Tekken 5 put Jin and Xiaoyu in matching outfits. Game was never subtle to say the least.

OP
OP
Sea lion

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You mean this Tekken 5? (This is his default costume!)

Come on OP this shit is even more over the top then what you posted. He has 19 belts and 4 of them on on his hands. You're just not remembering the game is all.
8dde363bb326ad268122ce3bf49229b4.jpg
I mean, some are better than others in T5 and Hwaorang is low tier costume wise but I dunno, the over all design feels more consistent. He gives off the vibe of a motor cyclicist rather than anime cosplayer like in T7. The colours compliment each other and there's more thought put into the skull design on his back than the lame uninspired tribal Mark on his T7 t shirt. The overall costume goes well together rather than bits and pieces like a cape, with and eyepatch, and grunge jeans, and badly dyed hair.

I get Tekken has always had this edginess, but it felt like well designed and considered edginess. T7 seems like they threw everything they could think of at a character with no consistency or theme.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I agree wtf is this?? body proportions and customizations are shit in 7.
Tekken-7-Fahkumram-.jpg

and what happened to Bryans face?
Tekken-7-Biryan.jpg

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Tekken 7 is hideous in almost every way, yes.

god I hope they don't reuse a single design or character model for the next game.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Kpop Hwoarang is great though. Leroy is probably the best design in Tekken history. Eddy is great. Marduks new design is great. There is some garbage like Jins default though and there only being a single body for all the women and none of the dudes but Gigas having any ass is stupid boring.

Honestly the biggest crime for costume design in T7 is how poorly handled cosmetic DLC is. There should be 10x as many tournament legal costumes in this game instead of the idiotic HAHA ITS HARADA custom garbage.

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
Lol we'll have to see in tekken 8 but hwo gets caught in an explosion or something in the story and gets the eyepatch.

Wonder if he will have it in T8 as well.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I like Hwoarang in T7, it makes no sense but Tekken makes no sense in general so who cares. His original design was super plain, just generic martial arts guy. It was enough for the time because being 3D and looking good was enough, but obviously they need to raise the bar with every game.
I just wish the game had better cosmetic items, T6 was much better for customizations.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
They are both equally nonsense over the top designs. If OP is gonna reminisce about style or simplicity you have just never really looked at Tekken designs. So many of them are crazy nonsense. It's fun and silly, but never "stylish" lol.

I remember Tekken 5 put Jin and Xiaoyu in matching outfits. Game was never subtle to say the least.
TBH most of the new designs after Tekken 4 are ugly to me besides a few exceptions

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Both T7's and SC6's designs are trash tier. Namco sucks.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't like it either. By Tekken 8, the martial arts theme will be completely gone.

With VF dead and Tekken going "overdesigned EDGE", only DOA will feel somewhat like a 3D martial arts fighting game, lol.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I love Tekken, but yeah tekkens character designs in 7 are absolutely atrocious.

I like xiao yu and master raven and asuka. Outside of that everyone is just over designed and look 'cool' like they were designed

like devil Jin might be theworst character design of all time.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
^ those are great.

Armour King is my favourite new design in T7, but yeah lotta stinkers.

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the costumes really hit, but some really miss.

For me, I was really happy to see actual new costumes in the game for the non Mishima characters. Because, ever since Tekken 5, we got the characters in the same costumes and the same alt costumes—even Tekken 7 in the arcade had the cast in the old costumes. It wasn't until the console release that we got the new costumes. People may hate Hwoarang's new costume, but I was so happy to see something new, even if it was gaudy.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Fahkumram is the worst design. It's not really even the proportions he has going for himself, it's more of the fact that his skin is so fucking busy. Dude is tatted up, has markings, scars all over him..

Oct 26, 2017
Overdesigned as hell. Like, Armor King's stuff doesn't make any sense. What's with the armpit chainmail that just disappears under that fur collar? Where do those chains go? How does he lean forward without stabbing himself in the gut with his belt buckle? What are those straps around his thighs? He looks like a Liefeld character with a few missing pouches. Or a knockoff Warcraft orc.

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely parts of the regular cast that feel outdated. Like someone modeled them based on found art from the 90s.

But here's the thing...
I agree wtf is this?? body proportions and customizations are shit in 7.
Tekken-7-Fahkumram-.jpg
...this is actually a new design. The latest one, in fact. Which has me really worried about what they are going to do in the future.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They fucked up when they made Eddy jacked for some reason. Dude was always just fit and all of a sudden he got injected with a shit ton of steroids.