Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
👴

jwZAW4D.jpg

giphy.gif

30 years ago today, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hit the now defunct cinemas. It would end up becoming the highest grossing independent film for over a decade. Like many, I remember the hype from the trailer below. Ended up going opening night, crammed into the very first row in a sold out theater. Still holds up as one of the best comic book films ever made.

On its 30th birthday, what are your favorite moments & memories from the film?

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You are a pizza stealing asshole but you have my sword, I watched it a few days ago and still holds up as a masterpiece.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
TMNT 1990 is absolutely a top 5 all time superhero flick.

It holds up remarkably well for an independent movie filmed in the late 80s

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this in theaters. I was 7.

Fuck I'm 37. Life comes at you fast.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Still one of the best Comic Book movies, Casey Jones joining the fight in the antique store was so good. Even the music was amazing.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
My mom was able to get my middle school friend and I out of school midday to go see it (I guess schools were a lot more lax about that shit in 1990). Although I didn't get the packed opening night excitement, it was awesome to get a short Friday at school. My friend ended up spending the night, so we gushed about the movie, ate pizza (naturally), and played Nintendo. Then we saw the matinee for it again the next day.

Seems like two lifetimes ago now, lol.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
My fondest memory as a kid was being able to rent this film on VHS over summer school holidays whilst eating takeaway pizza from a proper Italian pizzeria.

Oct 29, 2017
One of the best comic book movies of all time.

One my personal all-time favorites, period. Wore that VHS tape out, LMAO.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Still holds up as an excellent show today

interestingly, one of the highest grossing independent films of all time

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
our city only had one two screen theater and didn't show it, so my dad drove me about 30 miles to a theater that did have it.

thanks dad.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I hate that the sequel dropped the ball. No weapons, not as much action, lame Shredder, imitation Bebop and Rocksteady. It was a reaction to the backlash but I wished it was better.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Now let me get that 4K UHD please. It deserves that treatment. Great movie. I burnt out my original VHS as a kid.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid and huge fan of the cartoon I remember not liking it much. I was like where's Krang? Where's Bebop? Rocksteady? Who is this bald guy and that annoying Danny guy? I appreciated it more as I got older though. I now look back on it and feel it was a very good movie for it's time.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid and huge fan of the cartoon I remember not liking it much. I was like where's Krang? Where's Bebop? Rocksteady? Who is this bald guy and that annoying Danny guy? I appreciated it more as I got older though. I now look back on it and feel it was a very good movie for it's time.

Dimension X stuff would have been awesome for a sequel

alas

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
This movie is still fantastic. I still quote "Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!" to this day.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
One of my earliest memories was my Dad popping this into the VCR without saying what it was--and then being blown away that it was live-action Turtles.

I really need to re-watch this movie, I was just thinking about it all day yesterday.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
If the IDW comics didn't exist, this would still be the best TMNT related thing ever.

I'll love this movie until I die.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly one of the best comic to movie adaptations, taking the good ideas from the show.

It's the sequels that fucked it up.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
In the spanish dub, they translated "cowabunga" in the final scene as "¡de puta madre!", with more or less translates as "fuck yeah!". Yeah, swearing in a children movie lol. Just for that this movie rocks

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I remember reading somewhere that Steve Barron (the director) was interested in doing a Director's Cut, would have been the perfect time to release it!

damn COVID-19 :(

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This movie is amazing. I usually watch it once a year. I recently got into the IDW comics and I'm absolutely loving them. I've bought 8 of the big collection books so far. As of this point, as far as I'm concerned, it's the "real" canon at this point.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid, I was beyond hyped for this movie. Had no idea Casey Jones was going to be in it (I knew him from the cartoon, never read any comics), and was blown away when he shows up.

Also, the fight choreography is awesome. Those Raphael gifs are nuts.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
👴

jwZAW4D.jpg

giphy.gif

30 years ago today, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hit the now defunct cinemas. It would end up becoming the highest grossing independent film for over a decade. Like many, I remember the hype from the trailer below. Ended up going opening night, crammed into the very first row in a sold out theater. Still holds up as one of the best comic book films ever made.

On its 30th birthday, what are your favorite moments & memories from the film?

Shit. I remember me and my cousins watched this thing in VHS non-stop.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see love for the film here. I agree with everyone here, best April, best Casey, best Turtles.

I did not have an "involved" father during my childhood. So the scene that sits so well for me, is the conversation between Splinter and Raphel about his anger and how to focus it. Even as a 40 year old, it still hits just as hard.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I was 4 years old and loved the cartoon and the toys. I didn't even know there was a live action movie until my older cousin was skimming through the newspaper to look for showtimes. I still didn't realise it was opening day. My uncle picked up me, my cousin and a few of his friends after school to take us straight to the theatre on opening day. I asked my uncle what movie we were gonna watch and he said to just wait and see. The movie was a lot of fun.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
1st film i saw at the cinema, unfortunately it was the censored uk version but fun fact it was also the first pirate film i saw and i watched it a few weeks before the uk cinema release and it was the superior US version.