• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
TLDW
  • ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
    Banned
    Oct 25, 2017
    summary if no one wants to do it
    • Lumen is not ray tracing, it's using another form of tracing
    • lumen also has specular reflections
    • large objects are traced through voxels
    • medium objects are signed distance fields
    • small objects are screen space (similar to Gears 5 on Seriex X)
    • you can see screen space artifacts in the demo
    • uses temporal accumulation like RT, so there's a latency to lighting
    • micro-polygon rendering is primarily used in offline rendering like film
    • nanite uses a high resolution tiling normal map for fine details to help conserve vram through virtual texturing
    • nanite scales the model complexity by how many pixels it takes up
    • micro sized objects are shadowed with SS shadows and combined with a virtualized shadow map
    • shadow map resolution is aligned with screen resolution
    • shadows are filtered to create a penumbra
    • unknown if nanite applies to animated objects like foliage or hair, or characters
    • demo is dynamic res (mostly 1440p) at 30fps
    • resolution scaling is more expensive with this technique
    • pixel-sized triangles is pretty inefficient so how is Epic avoiding wasteful rendering?

dev notes
  • ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
    Banned
    Oct 25, 2017
    Well, I'm confused now. Can Lumen be accelerated with ray tracing hardware or is it something totally different? I think i saw Krejlooc posting something to that effect but reading this thread it sounds like Lumen is an alternative to ray tracing. Apologies if I misinterpreted anything.
    It's and alternative to ray traced GI. Other rt effects can still be used in conjunction. In fact, I wonder if RT shadows would help with the issue of screen space shadow errors that were shown in the video

Also, Brian Karis commented on the article (3 tweets)