Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://x.com/cspan/status/1844430188978778619

View: https://x.com/cnnbrk/status/1844427601609154803

TD Bank will pay $3 billion to settle charges that it failed to properly monitor money laundering by drug cartels, regulators announced Thursday.

The fine includes a $1.3 billion penalty that will be paid to the US Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, a record fine for a bank. TD also intends to pay $1.8 billion to the US Justice Department and plead guilty to resolve the US government's investigation that the bank violated of the Bank Secrecy Act and allowed money laundering.

The US Department of Justice said in a statement that TD Bank had "long-term, pervasive, and systemic deficiencies" in its procedures of monitoring transactions. More than 90% of transactions went unmonitored between January 2018 to April 2024, which "enabled three money laundering networks to collectively transfer more than $670 million through TD Bank accounts," according to a legal filing.

In one instance, TD Bank employees collected more than $57,000 worth of gift cards to process more than $470 million in cash deposits from a money laundering network to "ensure employees would continue to process their transactions" and not declare them in required reports, the DoJ said.

The Canadian bank will be subject to four years of monitoring by FinCEN to observe the lender more closely and ensure it is following the agreement.

"The vast majority of financial institutions have partnered with FinCEN to protect the integrity of the US financial system. TD Bank did the opposite," said Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo in a statement. "From fentanyl and narcotics trafficking, to terrorist financing and human trafficking, TD Bank's chronic failures provided fertile ground for a host of illicit activity to penetrate our financial system."

Last edited:

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Wonder what TD banks profits were last year. These stories always seem dope until you see the huge fine was just a slap on the wrist, and its just a way for the govt to make money off illegal shit while the company continues as usual.

But thats just cynical me talking ;P

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Former CEO should see jail time, but he announced his retirement conveniently this year and I'm sure will be just fine!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INrpmM7Ys6Y

Wonder what TD banks profits were last year. These stories always seem dope until you see the huge fine was just a slap on the wrist, and its just a way for the govt to make money off illegal shit while the company continues as usual.

$10 billion CAD net income in 2023

So close to half of their net income? Certainly a big enough hit that it couldn't have been worth it

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
It's always fines. Never prison time. Anyone does this and they're getting hit with RICO charges and serving a life sentence at a Super Max prison. But with these companies, you get a slap on the wrist and a fine that doesn't even amount to a year's profits. These companies see these fines as just necessary business expenses.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually around a quarter of profit for them, or ~6% of annual revenue. Unusually significant.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
It really is. The amount of training we need to do for AML even when not directly involved in the front line is significant. I'm really surprised that it went on for this long.

Yep, I have to do a training activity every quarter. I have nothing to do with the money, I am nowhere near any that, but I still have to do it.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I was aware of some of the issues, earlier this week I have a chunk of TD stock and was actually holding off on selling in yesterday. Can't believe these clowns, I'll sell this off after I get a decent return.

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://x.com/USTreasury/status/1844437284483211438

View: https://x.com/TheJusticeDept/status/1844436884459581493

TD Bank N.A. (TDBNA), the 10th largest bank in the United States, and its parent company TD Bank US Holding Company (TDBUSH) (together with TDBNA, TD Bank) pleaded guilty today and agreed to pay over $1.8 billion in penalties to resolve the Justice Department's investigation into violations of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and money laundering.

TDBNA pleaded guilty to conspiring to fail to maintain an anti-money laundering (AML) program that complies with the BSA, fail to file accurate Currency Transaction Reports (CTRs), and launder money. TDBUSH pleaded guilty to causing TDBNA to fail to maintain an AML program that complies with the BSA and to fail to file accurate CTRs.

"For nearly a decade, TD Bank failed to update its anti-money laundering compliance program to address known risks. As bank employees acknowledged in internal communications, these failures made the bank an 'easy target' for the 'bad guys.' These failures also allowed corrupt bank employees to facilitate a criminal network's laundering of tens of millions of dollars," said Principal Assistant Attorney General Nicole M. Argentieri, head of the Justice Department's Criminal Division. "U.S. financial institutions are the first line of defense against money laundering and illicit finance. When they participate in crime rather than prevent it, we will not hesitate to hold them accountable to the fullest extent of the law."

According to court documents, between January 2014 and October 2023, TD Bank had long-term, pervasive, and systemic deficiencies in its U.S. AML policies, procedures, and controls but failed to take appropriate remedial action. Instead, senior executives at TD Bank enforced a budget mandate, referred to internally as a "flat cost paradigm," requiring that TD Bank's budget not increase year-over-year, despite its profits and risk profile increasing significantly over the same period. Although TD Bank maintained elements of an AML program that appeared adequate on paper, fundamental, widespread flaws in its AML program made TD Bank an "easy target" for perpetrators of financial crime.

Throughout this time, TD Bank intentionally did not automatically monitor all domestic automated clearinghouse (ACH) transactions, most check activity, and numerous other transaction types, resulting in 92% of total transaction volume going unmonitored from Jan. 1, 2018, to April 12, 2024. This amounted to approximately $18.3 trillion of transaction activity. TD Bank also added no new transaction monitoring scenarios and made no material changes to existing transaction monitoring scenarios from at least 2014 through late 2022; implemented new products and services, like Zelle, without ensuring appropriate transaction monitoring coverage; failed to meaningfully monitor transactions involving high-risk countries; instructed stores to stop filing internal unusual transaction reports on certain suspicious customers; and permitted more than $5 billion in transactional activity to occur in accounts even after the bank decided to close them.

TD Bank's AML failures made it "convenient" for criminals, in the words of its employees. These failures enabled three money laundering networks to collectively transfer more than $670 million through TD Bank accounts between 2019 and 2023. Between January 2018 and February 2021, one money laundering network processed more than $470 million through the bank through large cash deposits into nominee accounts. The operators of this scheme provided employees gift cards worth more than $57,000 to ensure employees would continue to process their transactions. And even though the operators of this scheme were clearly depositing cash well over $10,000 in suspicious transactions, TD Bank employees did not identify the conductor of the transaction in required reports. In a second scheme between March 2021 and March 2023, a high-risk jewelry business moved nearly $120 million through shell accounts before TD Bank reported the activity. In a third scheme, money laundering networks deposited funds in the United States and quickly withdrew those funds using ATMs in Colombia. Five TD Bank employees conspired with this network and issued dozens of ATM cards for the money launderers, ultimately conspiring in the laundering of approximately $39 million. The Justice Department has charged over two dozen individuals across these schemes, including two bank insiders. TD Bank's plea agreement requires continued cooperation in ongoing investigations of individuals.

As part of the plea agreement, TD Bank has agreed to forfeit $452,432,302.00 and pay a criminal fine of $1,434,513,478.40, for a total financial penalty of $1,886,945,780.40. TD Bank has also agreed to retain an independent compliance monitor for three years and to remediate and enhance its AML compliance program. TD Bank has separately reached agreements with the FRB, OCC, and FinCEN, and the Justice Department will credit $123.5 million of the forfeiture toward the FRB's resolution.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
What does this mean for the future of TD in the US? Will they pull out?

I bank with TD, so I'm worried. I already had to move my money out of Wells Fargo when they decided to close out all overseas account holders after (I think) getting in trouble over money laundering.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, didn't know Toronto Dominion Bank was in the US.

Yep, mostly along the entire East coast.

What does this mean for the future of TD in the US? Will they pull out?

I bank with TD, so I'm worried. I already had to move my money out of Wells Fargo when they decided to close out all overseas account holders after (I think) getting in trouble over money laundering.

Your money is FDIC insured up to $250,000. And if TD DID go under (highly doubtful), some other Financial Institution would just take over. You don't have to worry about your money.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
Parent compnay owns/control almost 2 TRILLION in assets... 3 B's is nothing. They should be shut out of doing business in the US.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's kinda wild seeing them all over NYC.

ONuDtcE.jpeg

Xavien

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 3, 2017
It's always fines. Never prison time. Anyone does this and they're getting hit with RICO charges and serving a life sentence at a Super Max prison. But with these companies, you get a slap on the wrist and a fine that doesn't even amount to a year's profits. These companies see these fines as just necessary business expenses.
Because a company is a person silly, you cant send the company to jail...

The people in the company? shhh dont worry about that, the company gives you plausable deniability to get away with murder especially for the top level management. We cant have any real consequences as that would get in the way of the line going up.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they were laundering it through those pneumatic tubes at their drive-up windows.

They expanded into the eastern US about 25 years ago and have grown largely via acquisitions of former local US banks. Here in Boston they acquired what used to be Fleet/Bank of Boston/BayBank which is how they got naming rights on the Boston Garden.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Just another reminder that if this were a person, they'd be in jail for a long, long, long, rest of their life kind of time.

Having said that, $3b is a chunk of change.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Your money is FDIC insured up to $250,000. And if TD DID go under (highly doubtful), some other Financial Institution would just take over. You don't have to worry about your money.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the money. But the account itself isn't something TD has to let me keep. When WF closed out my account, they gave me a few months to find a new bank or else they were just going to mail me a check for the contents. And after keeping the money, my second priority is having a US domiciled bank account.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
TD has huge retail presence in US, specifically NYC.
Interestingly enough I interviewed with them (TD Ameritrade) for a data governance lead position around 2016 - and if I was hired I'd have been responsible for implementing precisely these controls (and more).

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
And as always individuals avoid getting in trouble. The bank isn't sentient, it didn't make these decisions and giving the bank a fine isn't a real punishment.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
So it's mostly the US side that committed the fraud? Nothing in happened in Canada that justify Canadian side to fine them as well?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

$10.78 Billion. Down from $17 billion the year before.

This is a slap on the wrist.