D23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "Swiftonomics" effect — or the economic impact of Taylor Swift — on Japan from her four days of shows in Tokyo that kicked off Wednesday is estimated to reach around ¥34.1 billion ($230 million), according to a report compiled by the Economic Impact Research Laboratory.

Tickets are sold out for some 220,000 seats for the 34-year-old Grammy award-winning international pop star's Asia run of The Eras Tour at the Tokyo Dome through Saturday.

www.japantimes.co.jp

'Swiftonomics' to yield ¥34.1 billion economic boost for Japan

The economic ripple effect of an average attendee of Taylor Swift's concerts in Tokyo is estimated at ¥155,090.

And this is also why the NFL show her so much
youtu.be

Taylor Swift effect hits Japan, turns more Swifties into Kansas City Chiefs fans

We already knew Taylor Swift was a global cultural icon. As she performs this week in Tokyo, it's clear her connection to Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelc...

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Watch her discover One Piece while she's there.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised since the Asia legs of her Tour are only in Japan and Singapore.

Edit

Technically you could also include Australia

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can not comprehend being so infatuated with a artist that you will buy not just their merchandise, but merchandise of another different category that the artist is only tangentially tied to through a aplyer shes dating. Like when she breaks up, what are they going to do with those jerseys lol.

Oct 30, 2017
i went to the first show on wednesday night, it felt like the entire continent of asia was there

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The funny thing is on Era there are those who believe she is only popular with white girls.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Private jets, stadium/arena sell-outs. Boosting a country's economy . It's ridiculous the amount of money this girl moves.

She could buy a couple of houses and that wouldnt make a bleep in her financial radar.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
how did i discount them?
how did i forgot brazil?
what are you even talking about lol.
Eh, you know how. Don't be that. Like, do you want an examination of you "a loooooooooot" or ya just gonna do your thing? But hey, her shows sold out a micro second slower than the USA, Europe, Canada, or Australia so a loooooooot.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Eh, you know how. Don't be that. Like, do you want an examination of you "a loooooooooot" or ya just gonna do your thing? But hey, her shows sold out a micro second slower than the USA, Europe, Canada, or Australia so a loooooooot.
What are you trying to imply here? They literally said main, not only. Look at the number of shows across America and Europe compared to amount across Asia etc.
She's popular all over the place but she has a lot of shows across America/Europe. There's no hidden motive in stating that.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

you must be trolling. here i counted it for you:

71 USA + Canada
7 Australia
50 Europe
= 128

4 Mexico
9 South America
10 Asia
= 23

now who do you think will be the MAIN demo that attends the 128 shows?

What are you trying to imply here? They literally said main, not only. Look at the number of shows across America and Europe compared to amount across Asia etc.
She's popular all over the place but she has a lot of shows across America/Europe. There's no hidden motive in stating that.

thank you, i thought i was taking crazy pills for a second. 23 shows in non predominately white countries is a lot, she's defo popular world wide but how can you deny white women are her bread and butter lol.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, when my initial post is there are some on Era who think she is only popular with white girls but then someone comes around and discounts her Asia and SA shows it is odd.

We actually don't know the logistics of large scale arena shows around the world, so to really define her audience as "a looooooot" is eh.

Oct 30, 2017
thank you, i thought i was taking crazy pills for a second. 23 shows in non predominately white countries is a lot, she's defo popular world wide but how can you deny white women are her bread and butter lol.

i mean, i think it's kind of a meaningless point. she's popular with women everywhere so of course white people are still going to be the majority of her fans in the US. it's like saying white guys are metallica's bread and butter — probably true but not really a relevant thing to say when addressing someone's global appeal!

the tokyo show i went to the other night was probably like 85% women but people had flown in from india, china, SEA and so on. my wife is indian and she's a big fan. the idea that she mainly appeals to "white girls" is literally not ever going to cross the mind of fans who live in asia

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah when she played the 4 Mexico City shows there were tons of reports of economic boosts as well. I know tons of people all over the country + USA + other LATAM countries travelled to the city for those shows.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how this works?

I know a lot of people explained already but:

People traveling to the cities may stay at hotels, and will likely buy food at restaurants.
They will be hiring more staff to handle volume of people at the arenas
Money being spent at the arenas: parking, food, drinks, merch
Transportation companies being hired
Lighting companies

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
you must be trolling. here i counted it for you:

71 USA + Canada
7 Australia
50 Europe
= 128

4 Mexico
9 South America
10 Asia
= 23

now who do you think will be the MAIN demo that attends the 128 shows?

I think that's just logistics. The way people went insane here in Brazil I'm pretty sure she could sell out a show every day for a year. Fans literally paid for Christ the Redeemer be modified for her arrival