Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
User banned (1 week): Making a console war thread, recently warned for console wars
The last year or so we've heard a lot about the value of GamePass. But what about the value of games. Specifically, the value of free-to-play ones that shadow drop out of nowhere and take the world by storm, and aren't on your platform. If this game wasn't on PS4, it would be a big deal, but not being on the Xbox is an even bigger deal; because it further highlights a glaring software disparity, and sort of epitomizes the struggles Xbox has had in securing must-play games for their platform over the last 7 years or so. When a darkhorse game can come along and steal the global gaming spotlight, can be its own service and its own hit independent of everything else, it sorta rewrites or reinforces the notion of what value really is. And right now anyway, PS4 being the only console you can play Genshin Impact on is pretty dang valuable.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is an incredibly bizarre thread and title.

A Chinese F2P game that's popular at the moment 'epitomizes the struggles Xbox has had in securing must-play games for their platform over the last 7 years or so'? You've lost me, OP.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Fall Guys is another good example of this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure a gacha game that's doing most of its business on mobile and Steam is THAT big of a deal.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's an action JRPG gatcha on a console most popular in the market that actually cares about those. It will also almost definitely be ported to Xbox if there's sustained Western interest.

Doesn't seem like a game changer.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
The last year or so we've heard a lot about the value of GamePass. But what about the value of games. Specifically, the value of free-to-play ones that shadow drop out of nowhere and take the world by storm, and aren't on your platform. If this game wasn't on PS4, it would be a big deal, but not being on the Xbox is an even bigger deal; because it further highlights a glaring software disparity, and sort of epitomizes the struggles Xbox has had in securing must-play games for their platform over the last 7 years or so. When a darkhorse game can come along and steal the global gaming spotlight, can be its own service and its own hit independent of everything else, it sorta rewrites or reinforces the notion of what value really is. And right now anyway, PS4 being the only console you can play Genshin Impact on is pretty dang valuable.
Fall Guys is another good example of this.

Why do you think the reason of this is? Devkits more expensive than Sony's or Microsoft restricting these types of games or Microsoft's policy with Free-to-Play games and Xbox live?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Among Us is currently more important than any Sony exclusive.

So I don't get the point really.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Gamepass + Genshin Impact ftw

This topic should be about how we value games. Because I'll tell ya what, $70 a pop for a game doesn't feel great when I'm playing outstanding games for dirt cheap.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I get your point but this is a rather bizarre comparison to make lol.

Microsoft needs to up their game regarding titles they're missing out on. There's too many PC/Switch/PS4 releases that happen that should also include Xbox.

But I also wanna say that Halo Infinite is better even tho the game ain't out yet

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, if we're talking about F2P games exclusive to a platform I'm pretty sure Roblox is way bigger than Genshin, so...

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
jb2W6We.jpg

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Premise of this thread is ridiculous, but I do think a more worthwhile discussion is why so many gaming phenomena this generation have been absent/late to Xbox e.g. Rocket League, Fall Guys, Genshin, Among Us. Most of it is assuredly just a symptom of their being in 3rd place, but it's something they really ought to be conscientious of.

Besides, right now I'd argue Genshin is merely the flavour of the week/month title. It'll be forgotten and left by the wayside by Christmas

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Lmao, cmon. This is very much a mobile gacha game. It's user base is overwhelmingly on mobile and PC. Let's not kid ourselves here.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Dude you can play this game on your smart phone, it doesn't matter that its only on Playstation.

Everyone has a smart phone.

Jan 9, 2018
Yes, while i think the title is a bit reductionist, one of the big lacks on X-box is that seems much less appealing for asian developers to put their games on it. Is getting better with big titles like monster hunter world being there day one, but when you go to smaller titles, like the acclaimed 13 sentinels, are almost never in X-box... A uphill battle for microsoft.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think the reason of this is? Devkits more expensive than Sony's or Microsoft restricting these types of games or Microsoft's policy with Free-to-Play games and Xbox live?
The developers simply aren't interested into the Xbox platform in the east. Probably because PS/Nintendo/PC/Mobile are ubiquitous there and Xbox is non-existent. So, when a developer will produce a game there, the Xbox platform is probably the least thing they think or they don't even think about it. This is changing, but there's a lot to be done regarding these situations. It's a vicious cycle.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I mean, it IS unfortunate for MS and Xbox-only gamers that it's not on the Xbox, but that feels like a bizarre argument to make.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So F2P game for Sony audience has a good launch, but the way your framing it is utterly bizzare and myopic. Apex, a F2P game which resonates with Xbox gamers done extremely well. SoT being an exclusive done unbelievably well too. Not really indicative of anything conclusive. People aren't buying consoles for these games. Genshin isn't anywhere near Minecraft, and barely anyone here mentions that game, your completely overblowing its value and noteworthiness.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
the console warring is so blatant now lol. not even trying to hide it

Also, Genshin Impact's biggest platform is no doubt mobile. PS4 probably barely scratches the surface.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Ehhh, I get what you're saying that exclusives are important, but this is a terrible example. We're so late into the gen, and PC/mobile are much more popular platforms, it's not like Genshin Impact is boosting PS4 sales.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's been awhile since we've had such a blatant console warring thread, didn't even try to to hide it. Kudos, OP

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
People writing off this thread but in reality Xbox needs to court these games that are coming to every platform but theirs.

Is it life or death for Xbox as a brand? Of course not. It would however be nice to Xbox players to get these games that are seemingly skipping the platform due to a perceived lack of interest from devs and publishers.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The PS4 version of the game is kinda bad though.
I'm playing it in the Pro too.

Isn't this game more popular on mobile and PC?
The PS4 version doesn't even share the server, you can't transfer your character or anything. I'm stuck on console now.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
And I find Gamepass FAR more valuable than a high production free to play gacha game. Opinions. The game is very popular and impressive - for what it is. I thought it was OK but only kept wishing it was a full price rpg with no shenanigans.
Luckily we live in a world where Genshin and things like Gamepass can coexist and somehow at the same time each be valuable for their own reasons. It isn't a this or that, and I like it that way.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 version of the game is kinda bad though.
I'm playing it in the Pro too.

Isn't this game more popular on mobile and PC?
The PS4 version doesn't even share the server, you can't transfer your character or anything. I'm stuck on console now.
Yeah, frustrating for me too. I wanted to play on iPad, but no controller support. Not sure why PS4 version is on an island

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
If it was actually exclusive, that would be one thing. but it's on PC and mobile AND it's a gacha.

Status
Not open for further replies.