• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
They have heard the demand for cloud saves, and I hope that they will come as part of the Nintendo Switch Online service.

I know that the argument is that they should have been there from launch, but I think many forget that, on PlayStation 4 at least, you need to be a PlayStation Plus subscriber to be able to use cloud saves.

There's a cost there that Nintendo (and other companies) clearly are nervous about and have to offset somehow as a business. I won't argue against Nintendo needing to work harder to compete in their online services, but it's understandable that after Wii U they probably weren't sure how popular Nintendo Switch would be. They focused on games to sway people early on rather than functionality and services, which is why, as part of broadening the console's popularity in the second year, they're starting to address that later than most would have expected.

We'll know soon in any case, seeing as the Nintendo Switch Online news was promised in early May. That doesn't help with your current situation (which sucks), but hopefully, we'll see them rectify it soon enough.
Well said but that doesn't put the issue past Nintendo, they knew this could be an issue and with them pushing digital it should of been at the forefront of that push.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Yes, why should we care about gamers? As long as Nintendo is happy.
There was a guy who said that Sony was anti consumer (doing exclusive games) because they didn't took care of people whose weren't owners of a playstation console.
Never ever doubt of what people can say to make an "argument".

Please define "needed" and how you discern what is or isn't needed, because there's no metric by which cloud saves were needed at launch—even customer satisfaction.
oh, it happened again

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Thread-whining and community whining after returning from a ban for the same behavior.
Really? Plenty of unhappy customers in this thread, on the Switch reddit and on Twitter because of no save backups.

Oh wow people on forums complaining? Oh my gosh that must mean it's needed! How many posts did you see before you knew it was needed? What's the threshold for social media posts?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I feel your pain OP and agree 100% and there is zero reasonable defense. I got pissed when I had to reformat my wii u and lost my MK8 online progress (I didn't even think that could be a thing in 2017) and basically don't try very hard on my switch in games until they support backups. Its insane that people who have jail broken their switch can backup games but legal customers who just wanna play by the rules can't.

I will definitely be jail breaking my switch when everyone can do it easily just for the fact that I want to control my backups. Its ironic because I think the reason why Nintendo doesn't allow SD backups on the switch is fear that it'll make it easier to hack/jailbreak, meanwhile the chip they use has a massive flaw they can't fix with updates.

I swapped from a launch PS4 Pro to a God of War Ps4 Pro 2 weeks ago and it literally took 20 mins to backup all my stuff to a USB drive and then another 20 mins to restore when I brought my new system home and EVERYTHING was restored including pics, settings, configs, saves, DLC, everything (I keep games stored on a 4TB drive). I also copied the 35 gigs or so of "stuff" to my OneDrive folder so its on a secondary cloud just in case. Its just insane how easy it is to hop around new systems on ps4/xb1.

Last edited:

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They would have to outsource it most likely, so the question would be who. Sony has Gaikai and other server-based solutions, Microsoft has Azure, and I'm guessing Steam has their own servers for cloud saving. Nintendo is still very far behind on internet tech, though it is common in Japan. If you do not have a bearing in Silicon Valley you are most likely behind on network tech that the firm owns or made themselves. Sony was behind until they got their bearing with the Valley

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just to everyone else in this thread, this one person doesn't speak for all of us Nintendo fans. Please don't judge us on him, thanks.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pitiful really, crucial part of an account system.

Hope they don't charge for it when it does come out.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this is keeping me form buying the Switch. Sort that stuff out Ninty. Either cloud or the ability to copy save files to sd.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Cloud backups would have been ideal, but not simply allowing SD card save-data backup is an omission that feels either hostile or incompetent. This is one of those things that I hope Nintendo understands moving forward, in all of their hardware.

OP
OP
Zan

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some good news is that the Uber driver I was with may have it under his seat. So there could be hope.

Bahamut

Nov 5, 2017
I love my Switch and Nintendo, but their online approach with multiplayer and saves has been bafflingly bad. They are generations behind in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, wanted to sell my switch and BOTW.

So I was researching how to backup the Zelda file. Found out you couldn't. Was fucking AMAZED. Like, the save file was completely locked to the system. It was bonkers.

Had to completely wipe everything on there in the end. Bye bye zelda save file. /shrug

At least there wasn't more on there.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't even need to be cloud.
This might be my biggest complaint. It's 2018, and so expecting a cloud save option isn't unreasonable. The inability to backup via a microsd card suggests a complete and utter misalignment of priorities.

It's been 14 months since launch, and Nintendo is playing around with "stability improvements." The minute someone pointed out that you can't backup your save files, the reaction from Nintendo should've been akin to the reaction of a developer upon discovering a game-breaking bug. I have no idea what else they could be working on that they think is a) more important and b) less of a heavy lift.

We're not talking about something on the scale of integrated voice chat (again, should be standard in 2018), just adding the ability to download your save files.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice to see more journalists taking them to task in print and interviews over their stoic ways because it's a standard ass feature that should've been there a long time ago along with a few other things. Feels like they get a pass they don't deserve with the amount of money they have flying in their pockets and therefore, resources to get these things done.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice to see more journalists taking them to task in print and interviews over their stoic ways because it's a standard ass feature that should've been there a long time ago along with a few other things. Feels like they get a pass they don't deserve with the amount of money they have flying in their pockets and therefore, resources to get these things done.

This. It's this enabling behaviour that is doing more damage than good. Thankfully people are savvy enough to not let them get away with it.

Hammee

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Lmao, something is just incredibly, stupendously hilarious about this.

I have two kids. One of them loves to wipe out saves. He already wiped out my Mario save. There's no logon controls, no cloud saves, and no way to back up data. It is typical of Nintendo though to not be up to par with even the PS3/360 gen of features.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have two kids. One of them loves to wipe out saves. He already wiped out my Mario save. There's no logon controls, no cloud saves, and no way to back up data. It is typical of Nintendo though to not be up to par with even the PS3/360 gen of features.
No I don't blame you. I just find your situation hilarious, buying the system buying the games but can't play them.

Nov 18, 2017
why is everybody talking about clouds when nintendo can make an update so you can save it on an sd card

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking. Cloud saves are nice but the method is secondary. Give us something.

Encrypt the shit out of it. Make it inaccessible from a PC. Add a one-time password. Whatever. Just allow a backup, at the very least. USB, SD card. It doesn't matter.

The console is already blown wide open for reasons completely unrelated to this issue. Security is not an excuse. Respect the time and investment of those who bought your system.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I d love to go in half for a switch with my bro for my nephew in a couple of years.

Nintendo needs to catch up with my PS3 in this area. My. PS. 3.

Romac1314

Nov 6, 2017
I just wanted to hop in and say sorry for your loss OP. Went through the same, my switch was stolen at work, lost my physical launch copy of Isaac and 100s of hours of saves that are irreplaceable to me. I picked up another Switch right away, but losing all that time in Breath of the Wild was sickening. I've since tried to go back refinished bunch of them but it's just not the same and I lose interest.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it certainly didn't need it, because the Switch is a massive success as it is now.

A nice to have feature? Yes. An absolute necessity? Nope.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need two things.

Cloud saves and a way to have a primary Switch along with a secondary console I can log into ala the PS4.

Love to get a 2nd switch for myself and let the other switch just be for my kids, but I need all my games and saves to be on both.

Faria

Jan 26, 2018
As for the screenshots, that one is on you as a user to back those up to social media or copy them to your computer. While I agree that we should have cloud saves or even local backups, I'm pretty sure they are holding off on cloud saves until they launch the online service. Either that is the case or Nintendo has no plans for any save backups, which is even worse.
Yeah, but other systems automatically upload screenshots and video clips to the cloud too...

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Don't need cloud saves. But a way to manage them via the micro SD would be nice, yeah. Even the 3DS could be managed in that way, at least with most games that didn't save to the cartridge.

Some people in this thread though, smh. "Nintendo is doing nothing!!1!" Does your uncle work there or how do you know? Freaking wait for the online service. When that launches and anything in terms of save backups is still missing, yeah we should start criticizing them for doing shit.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody said otherwise. They need 3 things at the beginning actually, in decreasing importance:

1. Saves of physical carts stored on the cart itself
2. Option to back up saves to SD card (for physical and digital)
3. Cloud saves

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
User Warned: System wars rhetoric.
It will come when their online service launches. No need for all the hyperbole in this thread either. Nintendo actually buils durable consoles, unlike some of their competitors. But I guess that isn't very modern of them.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It will come when their online service launches. No need for all the hyperbole in this thread either. Nintendo actually buils durable consoles, unlike some of their competitors. But I guess that isn't very modern of them.

What's with all these people tripping over themselves to defend their favorite company.