• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
We have a thread every two days for this though (and for good reasons). I don't see how they're getting away with it, at least here.
Really? I may have missed them then. I've seen quite a few threads about other features, or the lack of them( crossplay, BC), or other hardware/software issues for other consoles, here and in the old place.. but for such a basic feature, not as often.
But i may be wrong.
I mean, at least local saving to sd. It is inexcusable, or anti consumer as some like to say.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
Then don't reply to this thread if you have nothing to add? OP lost his Switch and is complaining about Nintendo being incompetent. We have shit ton of these threads about all kinds of problem for all consoles and you don't see people being passive-aggressive about it.

The thing is that nobody can really add to the thread. There is nothing that can be done once he lost the Switch, unlike for example the loud PS4 thread where people had suggestions how to try to fix the problem.
I guess maybe we could have a general vent thread in which you can vent about all kind of problems without a solution?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah.

Every console should launch feature complete with the stuff they get updated to include later in their lifetime.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The thing is that nobody can really add to the thread. There is nothing that can be done once he lost the Switch, unlike for example the loud PS4 thread where people had suggestions how to try to fix the problem.
I guess maybe we could have a general vent thread in which you can vent about all kind of problems without a solution?
Maybe start a Twitter campaign #forthesaves or something. Who knows.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I've got my saves being held hostage right now as well. About two and a half weeks ago my Switch just straight up decided to no longer allow Nintendo accounts to work. My account was detached from my user, and every attempt to link it or create a new one brings up an error code 2155-0404. System's up to date, I've reinitialized in maintenance mode to not lose my save data. Nada. I just have a dud of a system at the moment that can't do anything online. I'm still waiting on Nintendo to get back to me about it. It would sure be nice if I could transfer my damn data. I can't even do a system transfer because guess what, it needs your Nintendo account linked first! Brilliant.

I don't really care about my single player data or anything that I've already completed, but it took me 90+ hours to get all the weapons in Splatoon 2 along with all my gear and I'm still working on the hero replicas, having the data lost would effectively ruin the game for me.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
When my switch got stolen and I got a new one I lost my Zelda file with all 120 shrines complete and gold 3 star 200cc complete in Mario Kart 8 deluxe. :( I want cloud saves man.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I don't expect anything anymore from Nintendo when it comes to features that should by all means be there. They can't even manage to give their damn consoles ethernet ports.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny seeing this kind of replies only in this thread, and not the many other thread where people just vent about problems that exist with other consoles. You see tons of thread calling Sony on their bullshit with crossplay and you don't see someone complaining that you can't really do something about it and therefor we shouldn't have threads about crossplay. Companies deserves and should be pressured against their bullshit practice, and if you don't like it then I'm sure this thread would be better without some of the replies here.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
It's understandable that you are mad about it, sorry about your loss. But i assume you bought the device knowing that beforehand, so it really is pointless to lament that, we can only hope they include it in a not-so-distant future.

At least you don't live in Latin America, here, we lose it (Or we get robbed), and it's over..

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It should have, yeah. Anyone who says otherwise is talking shit. It's 2018.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
TL;DR: Switch should have had a cloud save feature built into it's system/online archetecture at launch.

So the unthinkable happened to me last night. I lost the Switch. I've contacted people involved to help me look for it (Uber driver I used, Transit, place I went to before hand) so if its found, then yay cool, hurrah! But as of right now, it's a big problem.

Is it a problem because of digital games? No. You can redownload all of them by linking the system to a new account. It requires a small extra step of contacting Ninty to deactivate it as your main Switch from their end, which is dumb, but whatever.

Is it a problem because of the one physical game I have in the system? Somewhat, but it's South Park. I can get it on other shit.

It's a problem because of 2 things. One minor, one not so minor. The minor thing being the screenshot function. I have a tradition of snapping a shot at a pivital scene to act as a memento of a game I beat (or sold, as in the case of Sonic Forces). It sucks chunks, but I can try and remake the pictures If i'm really bummed about it.

The big problem is saves. I beat multiple indie titles, including some you can only experience on Switch. I fully beat Oddessy. 999 moons, all captures, songs, everything. I beat Kirby 100%. My plan was to purchase smaller indie titles as retail copies and bigger titles digitally. Maybe not anymore, tho.

Switch here is $400, because fuck you its Canada. Even if it was cheaper though, that shouldn't be a reason to not have cloud saves. (And I mean at launch. I fucking know that the feature has been stated to be a thing later on.) So tell me then, why do you design a portable system (or hybrid, whatever) with no way to safely secure your saves? Because shit will happen to that system far more often then a stay at home system.

I know the company and system has a lot of fans on here. I'm one too. But the things they do (or don't do in this case) really feel like they're being dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era.

You're not wrong, thinking to lose my 400 hours 100% Zelda savefile scare me

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's funny seeing this kind of replies only in this thread, and not the many other thread where people just vent about problems that exist with other consoles. You see tons of thread calling Sony on their bullshit with crossplay and you don't see someone including you complaining that you can't really do something about it and therefor we shouldn't have threads about crossplay. Companies deserves and should be pressured against their bullshit practice, and if you don't like it then I'm sure this thread would be better without some of the replies here.

People complain about repeat threads about other consoles all the time. Regarding threads on crossplay, no we probably shouldn't have more threads on that either as that usually descends into console warring too. How is making threads here going to help put pressure on Nintendo to include cloud saves/save backups?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no excuse for the Switch having no save back up option.

At launch it was ridiculous, but maybe you could forgive it as something they just couldn't implement in time. Now it's more than a year later and still nothing. This tells me they don't give a shit and to me there is something disrespectful about that attitude.

I'm sure they'll offer an a cloud save option when they launch their online service later this year, but if they think they can hold people's save files hostage behind a pay wall, they're assholes. There has to be a USB backup option for free.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
People complain about repeat threads about other consoles all the time.
Exactly and yet you don't see people complaining about it, and what does console warring have anything to do with out discussion? I mentioned it in the context of nobody complaining about having too many threads of it. Whether it brings consoles wars or not is a different thing.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm sure they'll offer an a cloud save option when they launch their online service later this year, but if they think they can hold people's save files hostage behind a pay wall, they're assholes.

Cloud saves behind a paywall is fine if they offer another option to backup saves through USB etc.

Exactly and yet you don't see people complaining about it, and what does console warring have anything to do with out discussion? I mentioned it in the context of nobody complaining about having too many threads of it. Whether it brings consoles wars or not is a different thing.

I just said people complain about it...what?

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are no excuses for the lack of backup data option.

I love my switch but find it ridiculous over a year later this hasn't been fixed.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo is behind the curve on this, and it is frustrating to see such a widely adopted feature missing from their console.

Only thing that truly matters for OP is finding the actual system. Lost saves suck, but they aren't the end of the world.

Losing $300 is the real concern.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Cloud saves would be nice but it's absolutely absurd that you can't even back them up on an SD card.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny seeing this kind of replies only in this thread, and not the many other thread where people just vent about problems that exist with other consoles. You see tons of thread calling Sony on their bullshit with crossplay and you don't see someone complaining that you can't really do something about it and therefor we shouldn't have threads about crossplay.

Well I don`t read threads about crossplay complaints or Sony concerning rants (except noise threads), so naturally I won't comment in any of them. Can't really speak for others.

Companies deserves and should be pressured against their bullshit practice, and if you don't like it then I'm sure this thread would be better without some of the replies here.

I agree that companies should be called out for their bullshit practices, I just doubt that it is really helpful to call out Nintendo on this particular issue, as they are apparently already working on some sort of backup (according to Reggie). If I had to guess I would say it releases this fall together with the online service. That said, Nintendo also seems to be pretty tone deaf when it comes to the wishes of their non-japanese customers.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Console warring drive-by post. History of generalising the community.
Just look at the amount of passive-aggressive replies in this thread. It's stupid how people get defensive over a basic function like this.

Nintendo fans are kind of like Trump supporters. They will defend the indefensible just because it's Nintendo.

Deleted member 15497

Oct 27, 2017
So you are annoyed because you lost some 100% game saves?
But why would you need to revisit those games if you've done everything?
I agree that no cloud saves in 2018 is pretty dumb.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who thinks the Switch has hit it out of the park and had never personally found the need for cloud saves, it should have been a feature from the beginning and should come as quickly as possible. It's one of those "Quality of Life" things that most electronic devices have nowadays that just make experiences like OP's non existent. We sometimes take it for granted until it actually happens to us.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
I just lost a 20+ hour playthrough of South Park connected to a bug that Ubisoft hasn't patched yet. Not happy. Cloud saves would've been a big help. Don't know if I'll have the energy to play through again from the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
So you are annoyed because you lost some 100% game saves?
But why would you need to revisit those games if you've done everything?
I agree that no cloud saves in 2018 is pretty dumb.
Don't be that guy that pretends he doesn't understand why someone would be upset they lost saves for games they 100%.

Every thread we do this.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it's pretty ridiculous that the Switch still has no way to backup saves at all whether it be to the SD card or cloud

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your loss OP. And yes, Switch should have it already. It doesn't. Not much to discuss about that. I hope they will introduce it this year.