kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

The Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; Roe and Casey are overruled; and the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives.
ALITO, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which THOMAS, GORSUCH, KAVANAUGH, and BARRETT, JJ., joined. THOMAS, J., and KAVANAUGH, J., filed concurring opinions. ROBERTS, C. J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment. BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., filed a dissenting opinion
With sorrow—for this Court, but more, for the many millions of American women who have today lost a fundamental constitutional protection—we dissent.
www.npr.org

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending right to abortion upheld for decades

The U.S. Supreme Court has overturned the constitutional right to an abortion, reversing Roe v. Wade, the court's five-decade-old decision that guaranteed a woman's right to obtain an abortion.
www.npr.org

Here's where abortions are now banned or severely restricted

With the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, numerous states have banned abortion. Here are the states with bans or severe restrictions in place, on hold or pending.

www.newyorker.com

We’re Not Going Back to the Time Before Roe. We’re Going Somewhere Worse

We are entering an era not just of unsafe abortions but of the widespread criminalization of pregnancy.

Last edited:

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
May the future generations of America despise these disgusting old people in the Supreme Court.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Great country we have where guns have more rights than folks over their own bodies.

It's pretty explicit too:

Held: The Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; Roe and Casey are overruled; and the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard not to feel hopeless when these old fucks get to rule over us like kings with lifetime appointment.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say this as vaguely as I can. Whatever happens to these conservative justices happens.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
6-3 too? I thought Roberts at least was better than that, guess not.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, 2016 protest voters. Everything is proceeding like us "alarmists" predicted. Next up they'll go for a national ban. mark my words

Jan 29, 2018
And there it is. I wonder how much the leak will have soften the response to this. I think a lot of the outrage will have already simmered.

Anyway, this sucks.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to all the women who live in the US, especially the ones trapped in red states.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
I knew this was coming and I still feel like crying. The amount of suffering that is going to come as a result of this decision is just...I don't understand it. I don't understand how someone could reach a decision like this while being fully aware of the consequences of it, which you know they are.

Fucking monsters, all of them.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This country is quickly becoming beyond saving. I hope the people take power back into their own hands and show the justices some justice.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The court has completely invalidated itself. If it's just going to swing and overturn itself every 50 years then it's just a partisan machine. What a trash institution for a trash country.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
This was for told in 2016, but nobody believe it would happen.

This is the reason I cried the Hillary lost, knowing the Supreme Court was lost for decades to come.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
"Second ruling"

They're trying to drown it out. They know this will negatively affect millions of people.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I want to make sure I don't say something to get me banned, but this would be something worth violently protesting about; especially from women. Every one of those judges who did this should be ganged up on when showing their faces in public.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Motherfuckers. This is why you vote. Always.
A lot of people did. The Dems have all three branches. Nothing changes. I'll always check a box but it feels ceremonial at best. Republicans win even when they lose.

EDIT: I phrased this improperly and I apologize. My intent was not to discourage voting. I understand how the system works. I feel helpless and disheartened and didn't express myself clearly.

Last edited: