Votes: 350 76.3%
  • Smash 6

Votes: 109 23.7%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This has been a topic that has been brought up on a number of occasions, but has specifically been brought to the spotlight now that we're going onto the next big entry in the Smash series. As for why this is even a question in the first place, it's due to an interview that Sakurai did with Kotaku 3 years ago...
Jason Schreier (Kotaku) & Masahiro Sakurai said:
Kotaku: I know Mega Man is a character that has been requested for a very long time - is there something different about this game that will make it okay to bring in Mega Man? Have you tried to include Mega Man before?

Sakurai: No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn't been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game. It's something that wasn't even possible. We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible.

Kotaku: When you say four and five, do you mean the 3DS and Wii U versions? Those are separate?

Sakurai: Yeah, exactly.

Kotaku: While we bring that up, how will those versions be different?

Sakurai: Essentially between the two versions the character structure is the same, and the moves shared between the characters are the same, but the stages are entirely different. On the 3DS, we've taken the motif of handheld games and then on the Wii U version, featured primarily stages based on games on console.
However, the reason that both Smash Wii U & 3DS are considered as "Smash 4" by many is due to the general rosters, mechanics, & balancing of both games being exactly the same.

So what do you guys think? Is Sakurai's word enough (which would make Smash Switch "Smash 6"), or do you still see the two games as Smash 4 due to how they play (thus making Smash Switch "Smash 5" in your eyes)?

Last edited:

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Sakurai considers it 6.
4 was 3ds and 5 was WiiU there's an article about it on Source Gaming.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling it Smash 5, because differentiating the 3DS and Wii U versions into 4 and 5 seems dumb to me.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch (or whatever they name it). Internally, it's Smash 6 even if people here will call it a port this E3. :p

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not this again.

It's Smash 5. Since Sakurai is developer, he internally calls it 6 because it's the 6th Smash game he's made.

Deleted member 4296

Oct 25, 2017
It's 'Smash 6' according to the job listings at Bamco, who consider 3DS and Wii U as separate numbered entries despite them being really just different versions of the same game.

But we all know it's actually Smash 5.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai said Smash for Wii U and for 3DS as Smash 4 and 5 in an interview, so I'll follow Sakurai's words and consider the Switch game Smash 6.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
Since the 3ds and Wii U are basically the same game, with some small exclusives for each version, that make both the 4th smash.

I mean, MK8 Deluxe have more things exclusives than the difference between these two games.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Smash 6. Smash 3DS and Wii U are different enough for me to consider them different games.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of reminds me of the gif and jif argument. You can call it 6 all you want but most people are gunna call it 5. Whatever subtitle it has is likely going to be the name I use anyway so it doesn't even matter much to me.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Calling it Smash 6 is confusing to everyone. The majority of people don't care about random Sakurai interviews. Especially for English speakers, where Smash 4 was a pun, Smash 4 Wii U and Smash 4 3DS.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if this ends up being a port (which is unlikely given how Nintendo's usually proactive when it comes to setting expectations of ports vs. new games), Sakurai may still consider it Smash 6. Either way, this thread isn't about if the game will be a port or not.
Where's the option for no number though? None of the Smash games have ever had a number.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Literally no one online called smash wii u smash 5 up until last month, this only became a thing with the new game and it's weirdly pedantic

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It has the same logo, same characters, same main singleplayer mode, same itens, same assist trophies, same pokemon on pokeballs.
You can even use the 3ds version of the game as a controller of the wiiu version of the game

This is like saying Shovel Knight on the xbox is Shovel Knight 2 because has battletoads boss and no amiibo function

I don't think that pun was intentional.

Was totally is

Even if this ends up being a port (which is unlikely given how Nintendo's usually proactive when it comes to setting expectations of ports vs. new games), Sakurai may still consider it Smash 6. Either way, this thread isn't about if the game will be a port or not.

It matters because it will not be 5 or 6, it will be 4 =P

But they would not make a completely new logo if was 4.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Just temp call it Smash Switch and, in the future, by its official title.

Smash 3DS
Smash Wii U
Smash Switch

No need for numbers. It's not rocket science.

Oct 25, 2017
Neither because none of the smash bros games have numbers anyway. So it's not going to be called either of those things.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the camp that the game will have a subtitle which will override calling it by a number, but I categorize the 3DS and Wii U as two versions of the same game, regardless of how Sakurai described it.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
So is basically what Sakurai says Vs common sense.

Why should we care about what he says if the games are basically the same and both are " 4/for 3DS/WiiU",

Is ridiculous to call it "Smash 6"

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If you REALLY want to get technical then yes it is Smash 6.

I'm still calling it Smash 5 since I personally see both Smash for 3DS and for Wii U as Smash 4.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Mods: Please add 'Smash Switch' and Smash Daisy Edition' as an options to the poll.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The community will call it Smash 5. The developers will call it Smash 6. Neither will be wrong

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's officially Smash 6. That's how we first found out about it and Sakurai called the previous game Smash 5.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I understand why they were called Smash 4 and 5 internally but they were always presented together as two versions of the same game. It would be easier to just call the 3DS version a port but it came out first so it's a little weird.

Dragon Quest XI is just Dragon Quest XI on PS4 and 3DS, its not XI and XII and those games look radically different

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know....

I should have known someone would make this a full on topic

Ive been attaching the number to each generation leap sooo... Smash 5