yoipCJ12iJhNdE_xvCPmSKn04UYJcnP9P17BVj8squY.jpg

rmgp01-1d3uyk.png

large.jpg

large.jpg

To this:

914773-super-mario-odyssey-nintendo-switch-screenshot-exploring-the.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Now, you may say I'm cherry picking screenshots here (and the first 2 are actually running on Dolphin at a higher resolution), but still, there's something with Odyssey that just... bothers me. It feels like Nintendo was too close to some kind of uncanny valley for Mario that just doesn't fit the character that well. Things like overdone cloth and cap details (not as bad but close to his model in SSB, horribly overdone and just plain ugly), his nose animation being too "bouncy", bland or muddy / non-contrasty environments (save for the Luncheon and perhaps Sand Kingdoms), list goes on.

I seriously believe 3D World / Captain Toad style to be peak Mario graphics. If Nintendo could just add to that style by improving lighting and ambient occlusion, we would have the perfect Pixar-style Mario game. Opinions?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No, I'd say you're objectively wrong and the only area in Odyssey that looks slightly worse is the forest area's grass

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think the grass textures in Odyssey are pretty ass but that Sand Kingdom picture looks fine to me?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Breaking out of the traditional "Mario aesthetic" was the best thing that Odyssey could do. The series was stuck in a major rut in terms of visual design. And yes, I feel like to you did cherry pick the Odyssey screenshots to fit your argument a bit.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
The last Odyssey shot looks better than any of the other photos, to me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Image quality makes a huge difference to Nintendo's art styles, that's why it's stupid when people say their games don't need higher resolution or anti aliasing.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Nagh. And I might be wrong, but aren't those Galaxy shots up-rezed from Dolphin?

Edit: Yeah, those Galaxy screens are 4k. The originals on Wii were 480p lol.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah the grass texture looks bad but so does the one from World. I think your second two Odyssey examples look great. I think the overall design of Galaxy is still great but it doesn't have the lighting or particle effects that give Odyssey wonderful little details.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Look, if you like 3D Land/World and Galaxy 1/2 more that's fine, but.....no. Absolutely 100% false.

OP
OP
SleepSmasher

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh...some of the later levels blow 3d world out of the water. I do like Galaxys toy like style though

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1. Definitely not.
2. Those screenshots for Mario 3D World look amazing, I wish the game looked like that.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
I played 3D World for the first time in years yesterday. It looks (and plays) worse than Odyssey to me.

The only thing 3D World has on Odyssey is difficulty and music

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
The 3D World style was such an ugly style. Yuck. I remember when that game got its reveal and you could just feel the excitement deflate from how boring, safe and uninteresting it looked.

Oct 31, 2017
I agree that the Galaxy games and 3D World had far stronger, more appealing art direction. Odyssey may use some rendering techniques that are "superior" to those two games, but its overall art style/direction is worse.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I get that you prefer the 3D World and Galaxy's aesthetics. I do in some particular area too, but saying Odyssey looks worse is just... wrong?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario's animations in Odyssey are the best they've ever been. It doesn't quite pop the way visually that Galaxy and 3D World in terms of color, but that seems intentional to help drive the strange new lands thing it's going for.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I agree. I far prefer the art direction of the Galaxy games and 3D world. Outside of New Donk City, I find Odyssey to be very bland.

hanshotfirst

Mar 3, 2020
I can see what you're saying. Seems like a difference in the art style to me and its something I noticed when Odyssey came out. Specifically, the more "realistic" areas don't look as good as art heavy ones.

To be honest though, there is something that's very nostalgic to me with the realistic areas. It reminds me of early 2000's graphic and I mean that in a good way!

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree.

I loved Odyssey's movement mechanics but I had no interest in exploring the worlds because they were so ugly.

Jul 5, 2019
The images you provided literally prove the opposite point lol, those Odyssey pics look way better than the 3D World pics (except for the grass textures, which are bad in both) and using the 4k emulator screens from Galaxy instead of the 480p Wii ones is just cheating. :P

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I can see what you're saying. Seems like a difference in the art style to me and its something I noticed when Odyssey came out. Specifically, the more "realistic" areas don't look as good as art heavy ones.

To be honest though, there is something that's very nostalgic to me with the realistic areas. It reminds me of early 2000's graphic and I mean that in a good way!

Everyone seemed to love New Donk City while I thought it was the ugliest level in the game.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Odyssey is an open world Mario. Much bigger areas so they had to divide resources in much wider spaces and show a lot more objects at once.

Galaxy happens in very small areas ...Im sure they did the "Galaxy" and "planets" concept as an excuse to make very small worlds and small areas to cover Wii's weaknesses. They did the same with Zelda Skyward Sword and the small areas on the sky concept (hated that).

3D World is a completely different game. Not comparable at all. Camera is semi fixed and you don't have that much freedom to explore. So very few objects are loaded on screen. It's an amazing game though.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've never had a technical eye for graphics so I largely go on aesthetics and style and atmosphere.

So that said, I too always thought Odyssey was the worst looking 3D Mario platformer. I'm sure it's technically fine, and I assume some of this is due to the open world nature of the game.