dex3108

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So somebody did find the way to make 21:9 work after all.

2796E6911C793F4E2B687387EB054800E64E1AD1

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1577740717

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
This is great, I picked up Sunset Overdrive a couple days ago on Steam and will be grabbing a 1440 21:9 monitor after Christmas!

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thank youu

having a 21:9 monitor is so nice for everything but gaming is so hit or miss. Not because it sucks on it but because devs don't seem to include it as often as they should...

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I often think 21:9 TVs would be dope but then I think about how long it would take for content to catch up, and how many things I have now which would have black bars.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Great news! This is another reason why Microsoft should release every game as win32 program as well instead of locking them to UWP.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
But remember, nobody wants modding. We should play the game with no AA and awful mouse controls because that's the will of the powers that be.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Wow the AA looks ROUGH for a PC port

It seems there is no AA on that screenshot. Sunset Overdrive does have 2X MSAA support. It doesn't look as good as other games, but it doesn't look as bad as on this screenshot either. For me, the image quality is more than good enough in 1440p with all graphics options on maximum. Runs great as well.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It seems there is no AA on that screenshot. Sunset Overdrive does have 2X MSAA support. It doesn't look as good as other games, but it doesn't look as bad as on this screenshot either. For me, the image quality is more than good enough in 1440p with all graphics options on maximum. Runs great as well.
It has 2x SMAA, not MSAA and no, it does not work correctly. In fact, it doesn't work, period. I'm unsure if they've fixed it in the beta branch, but the setting does practically nothing as of right now. Forcing AA externally is the only way to get even a semi-decent image.

Anyway, I'm curious now - given that they've got ultrawide support, is there any chance for other aspect ratios like 16:10? Kinda hella sucks playing with black bars on top and bottom for what amounts to literally no good reason.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Calmine

Jul 5, 2018
Good stuff. Always get a bit miffed by the lack of support by developers, but ports I can understand. At least we have a great community of folks creating fixes. WSGF has been a godsend for 21:9 and multi-monitor users.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I often think 21:9 TVs would be dope but then I think about how long it would take for content to catch up, and how many things I have now which would have black bars.
Pillarboxing is far less distracting than letterboxing, as the image height remains fixed.
Image height is how we perceive display size, so it does not make the display feel small when viewing pillarboxed content.
It also means that viewing distance remains constant regardless of the content being displayed, while 16:9 displays require you to sit closer with ultrawide content.

For example:
aspect-ratiosp2rhu.gif

Letterboxing is distracting, pillarboxing is not.
Yes, you can opt in beta branch and use it right now. Public patch is still not out.
That's good to hear. Does it actually fix the issue with true 1:1 control, or is it just not as bad as it was before?
I'll be waiting for a better deal before picking it up anyway. It was 40% off at launch and there aren't any discounts like that right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Pillarboxing is far less distracting than letterboxing, as the image height remains fixed.
Image height is how we perceive display size, so it does not make the display feel small when viewing pillarboxed content.
It also means that viewing distance remains constant regardless of the content being displayed, while 16:9 displays require you to sit closer with ultrawide content.

For example:
aspect-ratiosp2rhu.gif

That's good to hear. Does it actually fix the issue with true 1:1 control, or is it just not as bad as it was before?
I'll be waiting for a better deal before picking it up anyway. It was 40% off at launch and there aren't any discounts like that right now.
Actually never thought about this before, but you make a great case with excellent gifs ilustrating your point.

Nothing else to add, just wanted to show appreciation for taking the time to do this, if the gifs are yours.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

For example:
aspect-ratiosp2rhu.gif

I think that they are using RAW input now.

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread, i gave it a shot earlier and it works. Only blatant issue is the black/white flashing on the pillarboxing when loading/fastravelling

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping this but I started playing this game and I'm not sure how to apply the 21:9 fix for the Windows Store version of the game. Does anyone know if it is possible? Tried searching around but couldn't find a solution. The issue is that Windows doesn't let me modify the game's exe file, even after giving myself access to the WindowsApps folder.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for bumping this but I started playing this game and I'm not sure how to apply the 21:9 fix for the Windows Store version of the game. Does anyone know if it is possible? Tried searching around but couldn't find a solution. The issue is that Windows doesn't let me modify the game's exe file, even after giving myself access to the WindowsApps folder.
Not possible sadly

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Saw Sunset Overdrive in the title, and my heart skipped a beat XD. Now i'm just sad.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Could this theoretically be used to work with custom resolutions?

I couldn't do 4k on my 2070, so I had to go with 1440p. But I think it could easily handle 1800p, if the option was there.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Windows store apps are not mod friendly.