aZlOWOU.png

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ueFKC6J.png

Why is this called Story of Seasons and not Harvest Moon?
Do not fret! I got an infographic just for you!
znLrJ7a.png

So.. what pre-order bonuses are there this time?
If you have pre purchased on Steam or pre ordered the game on the Nintendo eShop (of your region), you will receive this cow costume for free! Isn't it adorable?
wcXGIvF.png

What differences are there to the original GBA Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
The big difference is that same sex marriages are now officially a thing and it is here to stay!
Other minor differences include some names being changed, e.g - Ann being Ran in the revamped version. XSeed Games has justified this change in previous games as keeping the names closer to the original Japanese release, rather than keep using Natsume's translations. Their localisation blog is very interesting and you should pop on by there if you are interested in reading what's on there: https://www.xseedgames.com/category/blog/

A PC release?!
Yes! This will be the first mainline Story of Seasons game to receive a release on Windows computers, and the second (the first being Doraemon: Story of Seasons) SOS overall.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to be excited for this, but it being a 1:1 remake of a GBA game, with the artstyle looking actually less appealing for some reason, makes me less interested in spending $50 on it.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to be excited for this, but it being a 1:1 remake of a GBA game, with the artstyle looking actually less appealing for some reason, makes me less interested in spending $50 on it.
I mean there's two new romantic storylines to go through 😖

I'm just scared for the Story of Seasons franchise at this point, it seems like they're pulling out their big guns and if no ones gonna buy, it's going to be over.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Awesome OP (I love the infographic that explains the name change)! Super excited for this! I can't wait for the strawberry cow plush that comes as a pre-order bonus (I still have the yak plush from A New Beginnings' pre order bonus so I'm excited to display them together). I originally ordered from Amazon but my order got delayed by almost two months so I ended up ordering through XSeed. Can't wait to get farming!

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I just realized they changed Elli to Elly and I don't know how to feel about that.

Still day one though! Friends of Mineral Town is my favorite Harvest Moon game!

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Major flash backs to late nights playing Friends of Mineral Town on GBA. Still not a fan of the new art style but I might be able to get used to it for one of my favourite games.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

This, the same sex marriage is a big plus. But I need something more to excite me. I played +100 hours of the original and a almost 1:1 experience wasnt in my wishlist. I think if they added new stuff like festivals, crops and other stuff to do I would be more hyped.

I know that fanbase doesn't like comparisons to Stardew Valley, but it feels like a simpler game with 3x price tag.

I will still play it... After a sale, but watching the thread for impressions.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm just scared for the Story of Seasons franchise at this point, it seems like they're pulling out their big guns and if no ones gonna buy, it's going to be over.

As someone who bought all the 3DS entries, it has definitely been upsetting to see the series these past few years. There's this game, and they did that weird Doraemon title that sold poorly, and it really has felt like Marvelous has been licensing themselves out more and more these days with their titles all around selling less.

I never did get around to picking up Rune Factory 4 Special though, and seeing as how the special edition is still in stock everywhere, I'm guessing not many others did either..

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

From what I saw in Japan it looks like it sold pretty well though? I dunno what's up with the franchise though, feels like they must have run into some issues with HD development. We were getting entries constantly in the 3DS era and then the first time we see something from them in the Switch era it looks worse than RFF on the Wii. I really hope this is just the testing entry and the next new game looks good.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It does look good! Which is why I'm so confused why they went to this format (I'm guessing the poor sales?)
Apparently Matt Groening (Simpsons, Futurama) was involved in the games art? Bandai Namco funding probably did wonders to the game.

From what I saw in Japan it looks like it sold pretty well though? I dunno what's up with the franchise though, feels like they must have run into some issues with HD development. We were getting entries constantly in the 3DS era and then the first time we see something from them in the Switch era it looks worse than RFF on the Wii. I really hope this is just the testing entry and the next new game looks good.
Hopefully. I think in this game in particular, they struggled with trying to keep a nostalgic feel but also making it look modern/HD thus pumping out this art style.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Yaaas! A calming SoS game is sorely needed right now. I have so much nostalgia for the original game so it'll be interesting to return to it. I hate the font and the graphics aren't that charming but I always seem to enjoy these games despite that.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yaaas! A calming SoS game is sorely needed right now. I have so much nostalgia for the original game so it'll be interesting to return to it. I hate the font and the graphics aren't that charming but I always seem to enjoy these games despite that.
Calming?

GET RID OF YOUR GOLDEN LUMBER FENCE GRRR

(I'm joking and need to get a life)

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Well, the Doraemon title was developed by Brownies and published by Namco Bandai, with some support from Marvelous. It wasn't a mainline entry in the Bokumono series, but was a Doraemon game with SoS features.

This, the same sex marriage is a big plus. But I need something more to excite me. I played +100 hours of the original and a almost 1:1 experience wasnt in my wishlist. I think if they added new stuff like festivals, crops and other stuff to do I would be more hyped.

No new festivals, but there are a few new fall-season crops that don't really add that much to the game. There are some new farm animals, but again, they don't add that much. At least in the JP version, the new cow milk products can't be used for cheese or butter or cooked recipes.

They did change the marriage system a little bit and added two more romantic events per standard marriage candidate. And now you can walk across the crops (instead of having that one stuck in the middle) and the horse can run around outside the farm. So there have been some QOL improvements. For the most part, it plays the same as the original.

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to get this and the changes to marriage interest me, but I would've loved if it featured more changes such as additional festivals, crops or areas.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I never played the original FOMT game but LOVE Harvest Moon/Stardew ! Would I love this? I hear it's a 1-1 remake on an old game so I'm worried it will feel super old school but with new graphics..

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
My fiance was completely obsessed with Stardew Valley. Would she enjoy this too?

Stardew valley was inspired by this franchise, with the original Friends Mineral Town (GBA) being one of the main inspirations.

So I say yes, she will enjoy. Just be aware that this remake is based on 17 year old game, so Stardew Valley have more refined mechanics and QoL things.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never played the original FOMT game but LOVE Harvest Moon/Stardew ! Would I love this? I hear it's a 1-1 remake on an old game so I'm worried it will feel super old school but with new graphics..

If you like Harvest Moon/Stardew you should like this. Like the other poster said, there'll be some QOL stuff missing but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I am glad they kept the passing of time in this remake. In later Harvest Moon games days could last 45 minutes. That's way to long

Oct 27, 2017
ugh, i know i'm getting this. i can't not get it. the pull is too strong. i wish it didn't look like ass, but i'm going to enjoy it regardless.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
I was always a huge fan of the original and I agree, this doesn't look good.

I'm still buying it though.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
game is fairly small. just under 1 GB on switch.

it's so good. it doesn't have dating / marriage for obvious reasons, but it's a gem. and has the rare distinction of a game in this series looking legitimately artistically beautiful.

yeah definitely love the art style. Going to get both but would you recommend I play FOMT first or this?

moon jelly

Jun 24, 2020
United States
I pre-ordered a physical copy for the cow plush, no clue when it's going to arrive. Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons are always a safe bet for me, so I'm certain I'll get a decent amount of hours out of it, even if it's dated. I never played much of the original so this game will be mostly fresh to me, I think? I did play a lot of BTN, but I don't know how much they share other than the town and villagers.

Also yeah... the art style is really not great. Won't stop me from playing it, but I do hope this isn't an indication of what future entries in the series will look like. I'd be happy to never see chibis again.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any Switch impressions? As long as there aren't any major performance issues or bugs I'll probably be going with that one (and eventually pick it up on Steam whenever it goes on sale).

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Reviews are already up on Metacritic, sitting at a 77 which is probably in the high end of what I expected.

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

Originally released for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance in 2003, STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Mineral Town is a complete remake that will let series fans revisit the charming world of Mineral Town, while also introducing it to a new generation of farmers. In this peaceful setting, players will...

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I dunno if I'll get this. Never played the original and I'm still in the middle of playing the first Story of Seasons on the 3DS (or at least the first one that used the Story of Season name). I'm still on my first year despite starting it in like 2016.