Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Giving Adam an alt that's like at least sleeveless or something would go a long way methinks. Him being completely covered in tacticool gear while Eve and the other girl are completely form over function is LAME. So many games don't know what to do with their twunks smh

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Giving Adam an alt that's like at least sleeveless or something would go a long way methinks. Him being completely covered in tacticool gear while Eve and the other girl are completely form over function is LAME. So many games don't know what to do with their twunks smh
It's funny because his alt is just as covered up as his standard. I'm sure they come up with some silly lore explanation for this crap.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
what about her albino twin

GKTeEjiWwAI6eX4
I can hear EVE's scream from looking at this image.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
𖦹

현란하고 격렬하며 깊다, 세계에 도전하는 K-콘솔 액션 ‘스텔라 블레이드’ | 루리웹

“첫 번째 다이브로부터 70년, 우리가 드디어 최초의 생존자가 됐어” 지난 2019년 4월...

Game Director Kim Hyung Tae when asked if he was aware of some Western media outlets that expressed discomfort with the portrayal of female characters in Stellar Blade:
okay dude you probably have a whole team devoted to making sure 🤏 doesn't accidentally show up in the game.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017

I'm over here asking why he isn't in hooves and skintight stuff as well. Need to keep things consistent imo.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018

It's funny because his alt is just as covered up as his standard. I'm sure they come up with some silly lore explanation for this crap.
They actually already did kind of show the reason in the older gameplay overview.

View: https://youtu.be/V6XYHiBxkvk?si=5UJMfFowZ2MHZ0fi
Basically Eve and all the women who dropped in are not from Earth and from off planet and are dressed in the absurd outfits while everyone seen who lives on Earth in Xion like Adam has shit on like him and seemingly have normal designs.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Adam's design just sucks, even in a vacuum. It's so generic. Pull up ArtStation and you'll easily find a hundred designs using the exact same theme, but that probably look more interesting.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Visuals look cool, I guess. I found that regardless of which mode I was in (performance or balanced) I wanted to go into the settings and adjust the AA solution or increase the resolution.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

현란하고 격렬하며 깊다, 세계에 도전하는 K-콘솔 액션 ‘스텔라 블레이드’ | 루리웹

“첫 번째 다이브로부터 70년, 우리가 드디어 최초의 생존자가 됐어” 지난 2019년 4월...

Game Director Kim Hyung Tae when asked if he was aware of some Western media outlets that expressed discomfort with the portrayal of female characters in Stellar Blade:

"I know that in the West, game characters have to be realistic in many ways and that there are numerous issues involved, such as there are numerous issues involved such as gender, race, diversity etc.

But Stellar Blade is only an entertainment and cultural work. I hope people will look at it as just another fun action game that has been released."
Uh huh so why aren't the dudes sexualised in the character designs and objectified by the camera? Or does that not fit into being a cultural work when the culture is misogynist?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They actually already did kind of show the reason in the older gameplay overview.

View: https://youtu.be/V6XYHiBxkvk?si=5UJMfFowZ2MHZ0fi
Basically Eve and all the women who dropped in are not from Earth and from off planet and are dressed in the absurd outfits while everyone seen who lives on Earth in Xion like Adam has shit on like him and seemingly have normal designs.

It's a fictional universe created by writers. Writers who specifically wanted women to be scantily clad, and men to not be scantily clad.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
It's a fictional universe created by writers. Writers who specifically wanted women to be scantily clad, and men to not be scantily clad.
Im not saying its a good thing. I literally called the designs absurd. Poster said they will probably give a dumb lore reason and I posted in agreement that they already did lol

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Aside from the questionable presentation of this horny infested character design (with even some weird fetish of very small feet that belongs more to a child, ugh), the game itself is one of the clunkiest and unresponsive action games I've touched.

Every action is slowed down by super long animations, everything is slow and dull, the fov is too narrow, many enemy attacks are unreadable, the autotargeting works only on larger enemies for some reasons, the level design is a repeated corridor with a dead end containing a box or you have to copy and paste a code to open it mixed with some weird climbing section repeated in loop, and that's only the first hour including the prologue.

I was already full of it and dropped... yeah, I'm not gonna play this thing for sure, I had to go back on Stranger of Paradise to wash my mouth after this, it's flawed like other Team Ninja games but gameplay wise we are like on two different planets, they actually know how to make an action game.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Aside from the questionable presentation of this horny infested character design (with even some weird fetish of very small feet that belongs more to a child, ugh), the game itself is one of the clunkiest and unresponsive action games I've touched.

Every action is slowed down by super long animations, everything is slow and dull, the fov is too narrow, many enemy attacks are unreadable, the autotargeting works only on larger enemies for some reasons, the level design is a repeated corridor with a dead end containing a box or you have to copy and paste a code to open it mixed with some weird climbing section repeated in loop, and that's only the first hour including the prologue.

I was already full of it and dropped... yeah, I'm not gonna play this thing for sure, I had to go back on Stranger of Paradise to wash my mouth after this, it's flawed like other Team Ninja games but gameplay wise we are like on two different planets, they actually know how to make an action game.
So slow and dull….

View: https://youtu.be/Ee7pSeQ6nSU?si=huQYijKx88dELsTW

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017

I platinumed Stranger of Paradise. This game's combat beats the shit out of Stranger's. You're ridiculous.

Deleted member 3924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you don't have a unique gameplay hook then the fundamentals have to stand out that much more

I platinumed Stranger of Paradise. This game's combat beats the shit out of Stranger's. You're ridiculous.

I don't think SoP has the best combat, but it did have a job system, co-op and enemy move stealing. Bunch of things to kind of differentiate itself.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Yeah, I don't know what action games have you played but this video prove my point, the action is slow and very dull.
Parry parry, very slow and basic combo, smash that cooldown ability and repeat.
It would be even like a mediocre to sufficient action game if it would be responsive but this isn't even the case.
And the game doesn't suffer specifically from input lag, it's the animation that are just too slow and drags out like for RDR2, it's not like you press a button and the game doesn't register it fast enough, the game is just unresponsive due to those very long animations trigger.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, I don't know what action games have you played but this video prove my point, the action is slow and very dull.
It would be even like a mediocre to sufficient action game if it would be responsive but this isn't even the case.
And the game doesn't suffer specifically from input lag, it's the animation that are just too slow and drags out like for RDR2, it's not like you press a button and the game doesn't register it fast enough, the game is just unresponsive due to those very long animations trigger.
Sekiro, Bloodborne, NioH, Bayonetta. I love all of them, including this one (so far). They're all different, and that's ok.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019

Are you actually comparing the animation speeds in Stellar Blade to Red Dead Redemption 2's animation, or am I just misunderstanding something?

Mito

Jun 16, 2023
Canada
Hey guys, I just started playing this for 30 mins. Is it me (being a noob) that the dodge is really weak? The first mini tutorial boss (after cutscene) has been wrecking me.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Hey guys, I just started playing this for 30 mins. Is it me (being a noob) that the dodge is really weak? The first mini tutorial boss (after cutscene) has been wrecking me.

Dodge is not really used in this game to avoid all attacks. I mean it can, but it's an ineffective way to stay alive. Defense in Stellar Blade boils down to two things, which are Parrying and Dodging.

Parrying defends against enemy attacks and builds up their stagger. Dodging is avoiding attacks that can't be parried. Yellow, Blue and Purple attacks require the use of the dodge button to avoid. So unless the enemy is using one of those attacks, you should be Parrying. Just practice and give it time. You'll get better.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
I'm comparing the principle since people is talking about input lag when it's about slow animations, it's two different things.

Combat is very much built around defense, and striking at the right times. The game punishes you for trying to button mash your way to victory, or trying to get greedy with too many attacks. There are fast combo attacks with fast attack animation speeds, but the more damaging ones are slower. The game has gear that placates to different builds, such as better defense and parry windows, or better combo damage. Some gear has attack speed buffs, that speeds up the attack animations and recovery of Eve. It's all intentional in it's design.

If you approach the game with a certain mindset that it needs to be a certain way, or it's a bust, then yeah you're not going to have a great time. But I'm like Loud Wrong in that I've played a ton of action games, and I appreciate Stellar Blade doing it's own thing, and experimenting with a combat system that's a marriage between Sekiro and DMC.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I played the Stellar Blade demo, I enjoyed it and it did a great job at selling me the vision of the game. Doing the special boss was cool.

Also I only followed some form of the discourse from the periphery but I was surprised to see Eve has like thick eyebrows and sideburns. That's not actually common, especially coming after playing Rebirth where female characters have super thin eyebrows. Even Aloy from Horizon has trimmed or tucked sideburns. Pretty cool overall.

kyBgCTZ.png

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
I played the Stellar Blade demo, I enjoyed it and it did a great job at selling me the vision of the game. Doing the special boss was cool.

Also I only followed some form of the discourse from the periphery but I was surprised to see Eve has like thick eyebrows and sideburns. That's not actually common, especially coming after playing Rebirth where female characters have super thin eyebrows. Even Aloy from Horizon has trimmed or tucked sideburns. Pretty cool overall.

kyBgCTZ.png

Huh, interesting little detail. I like her design a lot. The outfits are hit or miss for me, I was complaining yesterday about how I really hope the game has a heavier looking outfit or armor for her. So my fingers are crossed for it it. People also seem to really like Tachy, which I do too. She's pretty cool.

Glad you enjoyed the demo!

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Kinda curious.

How are combos built in this game?

Does it go the Bayonetta route of attack strings that can be modified by different attacks?

Does it do the DMC route of directional inputs and stalled combos?

Are there dodge offsets?

Any perfect timing/Just frame mechanics?

Haven't seen any launchers or aerial combos, is it largely grounded?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone want slow bogged down input laggy janked clunky combat in video game?

Yakuza 1 PS2.

giphy.gif

Tutorial level 1 Yakuza 2 PS2 Kiryu was even faster & more responsive than max level Legendary Dragon Yakuza 1 PS2 Kiryu. 😄

This game definitely not perfect & I suck sometimes at parrying/dodging, but "slow" is not the word I'll use for it.

View: https://youtu.be/Lm9yMdOdGHo

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Combat is very much built around defense, and striking at the right times. The game punishes you for trying to button mash your way to victory, or trying to get greedy with too many attacks. There are fast combo attacks with fast attack animation speeds, but the more damaging ones are slower. The game has gear that placates to different builds, such as better defense and parry windows, or better combo damage. Some gear has attack speed buffs, that speeds up the attack animations and recovery of Eve. It's all intentional in it's design.

If you approach the game with a certain mindset that it needs to be a certain way, or it's a bust, then yeah you're not going to have a great time. But I'm like Loud Wrong in that I've played a ton of action games, and I appreciate Stellar Blade doing it's own thing, and experimenting with a combat system that's a marriage between Sekiro and DMC.
How is this like DMC?
I can see the Sekiro, but I don't really see much DMC DNA here.

I wouldn't say people are coming in with specific mindsets either, when I play an action game, whether it be Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Nioh, etc, I expect the game to feel pretty responsive. The clunkiness in this is manageable and the parries are easy and cool looking, so it's not like it's a bad system. Just kinda feels like a developer with little action game experience threw a bunch of money at a project and looked at what others in the genre did, without really doing anything particularly well other than looking cool.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
How is this like DMC?
I can see the Sekiro, but I don't really see much DMC DNA here.

I wouldn't say people are coming in with specific mindsets either, when I play an action game, whether it be Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Nioh, etc, I expect the game to feel pretty responsive. The clunkiness in this is manageable and the parries are easy and cool looking, so it's not like it's a bad system. Just kinda feels like a developer with little action game experience threw a bunch of money at a project and looked at what others in the genre did, without really doing anything particularly well other than looking cool.

It's mostly Sekiro with a bit of DMC, and that bit comes from the different combos. That's the feeling I get.

I don't feel like the game is clunky or non-responsive at all. The game responds the way I want it to, and I've the combat down pat. I've had enough experience with the game at this point where I truly don't know what people are talking about when they say the game is not responsive, and it's getting to the point where it's feeling like it's a skill issue. There are attack animations that lock Eve. Some people might hate that, which is fair, but that's the way it is. Once you get and understanding of that, and how the combat works and the optimal ways to approach it, you should no longer be having an issue with how responsive the game feels. There are attack speed gear that buffs the attack animations and recovery time of Eve to also help with this, should you go that route.

Stellar Blade's combat feels really good to me.

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
It's mostly Sekiro with a bit of DMC, and that bit comes from the different combos. That's the feeling I get.

I don't feel like the game is clunky or non-responsive at all. The game responds the way I want it to, and I've the combat down pat. I've had enough experience with the game at this point where I truly don't know what people are talking about when they say the game is not responsive, and it's getting to the point where it's feeling like it's a skill issue. There are attack animations that lock Eve. Some people might hate that, which is fair, but that's the way it is. Once you get and understanding of that, and how the combat works and the optimal ways to approach it, you should no longer be having an issue with how responsive the game feels. There are attack speed gear that buffs the attack animations and recovery time of Eve to also help with this, should you go that route.

Indeed. I have 5 hours logged in that short demo. Game is crazy fun. It's funny because I'm also playing Rise of the Ronin right now as well which also implements the parry system and enjoying it as well but all 3 (Sekeiro, Ronin, Stella) play different enough that makes them have their own style.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Anyone want slow bogged down input laggy janked clunky combat in video game?

Yakuza 1 PS2.

giphy.gif

Tutorial level 1 Yakuza 2 PS2 Kiryu was even faster & more responsive than max level Legendary Dragon Yakuza 1 PS2 Kiryu. 😄

This game definitely not perfect & I suck sometimes at parrying/dodging, but "slow" is not the word I'll use for it.

View: https://youtu.be/Lm9yMdOdGHo

"All defense, no offense" lol

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I played some of the demo earlier and... I liked it? I think? Didn't love it though. Might wait and see if it eventually comes to PC or a good discount on PS5. Not one I feel the draw to pick up at launch right now.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

kyBgCTZ.png
This is very common in SK fashion.

SK likes to make them thicker in comparison to the western looks where there is an emphasis on heavy arches and a lean towards thinner eyebrows. SK tends to wear them thicker to make the face look more cute, full and youthful. The sideburns also helps to frame and enhance the overall shape of the face. This is a trend that can be observed in popular media as well.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is very common in SK fashion.

SK likes to make them thicker in comparison to the western looks where there is an emphasis on heavy arches and a lean towards thinner eyebrows. SK tends to wear them thicker to make the face look more cute, full and youthful. The sideburns also helps to frame and enhance the overall shape of the face. This is a trend that can be observed in popular media as well.
Ah thanks for that. I find it pretty cool they're taking from SK fashion. Definitely not common in female protags in video games. I was actually surprised that nobody I knew noticed it lol i couldn't stop looking at her eyebrows the entire demo

Oct 26, 2017
I mean thats a player approaching the game from a Sekiro perspective. This is me approaching the game as someone who does SL1 no damage runs + SSS/PP runs.(I think I do two dodges, 13 parrys and a mikiri counter. And I dont use beta skills)

I wouldnt call it "slow and dull". Its hard to say i'm having as much fun in this game as those games, but thats mainly because of Eve.
The gameplay is way more aggressive than in stylish action games.
Those games you are in neutral 99% of the time. You cant be aggressive without commitment to attacks. If there's no commitment you're just pressings buttons at the right time.

If you are fully engaging with stellar blade a perfect parrying should be a combo starter, not a defensive option.

View: https://youtu.be/iA6vT92l5js?si=h0sQ3orrkiFZfp8a&t=189
For context my gameplay in DMC/bayonetta

View: https://youtu.be/Yt2-Wuq0nAg?si=5NdJNGPLXOLZXtKz

View: https://youtu.be/fFN7H0nRJTE?si=E6oNMzvojDeGvGkB

Stellar blade iterates on Sekiro to the point that it fundamentally changes what the gameplay is about.
  • In Sekiro you attack because → IDK what else are you suppose to do? Your main job is to parry attack strings.
  • In Stellar blade you parry → You want to start an attack string. :P
And lol you cant jump cancel anything in this game, it really is nothing like DMC.

And the game is really clunky. You can use skill to overcome it, but that's not an excuse for the game.

Kinda curious.

How are combos built in this game?

p1
  • Does it go the Bayonetta route of attack strings that can be modified by different attacks?
  • Does it do the DMC route of directional inputs and stalled combos?
p2
  • Are there dodge offsets?
p3
  • Any perfect timing/Just frame mechanics?
p4
  • Haven't seen any launchers or aerial combos, is it largely grounded?
RE p1.
Game is dial a combo
  • No directional inputs, the game is powered by Eves forward attacking momentum.
  • All combos inputs are stallable so there are no stalled input strings.
  • Last hit of every heavy attack can be charged into ß chain attack
RE p2
This game is about cancelling your opponents offences, rather than yours.
  • ß chaining the last hit of combos uses some meter, but cancels your opponents attack
RE p3
There are perfect parry/dodge follow up attacks with benefits such as
  • Cross ups -> combos
  • Attack speed buffs
  • Attack UP buffs
  • Stagger
And lol you cant queue attacks from dodge etc., , so lots of just frame mechanics. (Since attacks wont happen unless you wait for the last animation to end)

RE p4
Its mostly grounded, but some of eves strings have aerial segments which let you dodge sweeps etc. ( high knowledge and skill required).
Some moves are better jumped than dodged, which feels good...but
  • Bizarrely you cant cancel your recovery into jump attacks
  • Eve is really clunky in the air you can dash-> attack, or attack -> dash etc.,

"All defense, no offense" lol
I mean the game is all defense. If it wasn't it could be nearly as aggressive.

Are you actually comparing the animation speeds in Stellar Blade to Red Dead Redemption 2's animation, or am I just misunderstanding something?
Press square 4 times → ultimate Rockstar experience
I can hear EVE's scream from looking at this image.
I can too. I think we both have played too much ^^

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I mean thats a player approaching the game from a Sekiro perspective. This is me approaching the game as someone who does SL1 no damage runs + SSS/PP runs.(I think I do two dodges, 13 parrys and a mikiri counter. And I dont use beta skills)

I wouldnt call it "slow and dull". Its hard to say i'm having as much fun in this game as those games, but thats mainly because of Eve.
The gameplay is way more aggressive than in stylish action games.
Those games you are in neutral 99% of the time. You cant be aggressive without commitment to attacks. If there's no commitment you're just pressings buttons at the right time.

If you are fully engaging with stellar blade a perfect parrying should be a combo starter, not a defensive option.

View: https://youtu.be/iA6vT92l5js?si=h0sQ3orrkiFZfp8a&t=189
For context my gameplay in DMC/bayonetta

View: https://youtu.be/Yt2-Wuq0nAg?si=5NdJNGPLXOLZXtKz

View: https://youtu.be/fFN7H0nRJTE?si=E6oNMzvojDeGvGkB

Stellar blade iterates on Sekiro to the point that it fundamentally changes what the gameplay is about.
  • In Sekiro you attack because → IDK what else are you suppose to do? Your main job is to parry attack strings.
  • In Stellar blade you parry → You want to start an attack string. :P
And lol you cant jump cancel anything in this game, it really is nothing like DMC.

And the game is really clunky. You can use skill to overcome it, but that's not an excuse for the game.

RE p1.
Game is dial a combo
  • No directional inputs, the game is powered by Eves forward attacking momentum.
  • All combos inputs are stallable so there are no stalled input strings.
  • Last hit of every heavy attack can be charged into ß chain attack
RE p2
This game is about cancelling your opponents offences, rather than yours.
  • ß chaining the last hit of combos uses some meter, but cancels your opponents attack
RE p3
There are perfect parry/dodge follow up attacks with benefits such as
  • Cross ups -> combos
  • Attack speed buffs
  • Attack UP buffs
  • Stagger
And lol you cant queue attacks from dodge etc., , so lots of just frame mechanics. (Since attacks wont happen unless you wait for the last animation to end)

RE p4
Its mostly grounded, but some of eves strings have aerial segments which let you dodge sweeps etc. ( high knowledge and skill required).
Some moves are better jumped than dodged, which feels good...but
  • Bizarrely you cant cancel your recovery into jump attacks
  • Eve is really clunky in the air you can dash-> attack, or attack -> dash etc.,

I mean the game is all defense. If it wasn't it could be nearly as aggressive.

Press square 4 times → ultimate Rockstar experience

I can too. I think we both have played too much ^^

Thank you for the detailed post, really appreciated!
I trust your opinion on this, is it worth continuing the demo and unlocking other abilities to give it another chance or the basics stay the same?
It's not an iperbole when I say that I've closed the game due to being very annoyed at the overall responsiveness.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Yeah, that's the starting point and then they work backwards from there. That's usually how it goes. 😞 It's frustrating when there's a character like Adam who's pretty cute but it's totally incidental, versus Eve or Tachy or the other girl where it's the brief. The deluxe edition outfits say it all.

digital-deluxe-edition-bonuses-v0-sjq1z2h1k5hc1.jpg

like come on, dude looks like he's from a completely different game. Not even a bit of forearm? Tighter pants? You're killing me here, Shift Up.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Thank you for the detailed post, really appreciated!
I trust your opinion on this, is it worth continuing the demo and unlocking other abilities to give it another chance or the basics stay the same?
It's not an iperbole when I say that I've closed the game due to being very annoyed at the overall responsiveness.
You don't get to unlock much in the demo without ridiculous grinding, if you haven't, just finish the demo and experiment with the skills available in the boss challenge fight. The demo stage is like making a DMC demo at the start of the game with nothing unlocked and it ends before you get to unlock anything fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.