Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Hey running by the Walmart to pick up the pulse 3D headset today. Walmart employee told me over the phone and recommended that I should look into the steelseries arctis 7 over the pulse 3D headset for the PlayStation 5. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is the steelseries sound supposed to be better than the Sony official brand and is the Comfort level better than the Sony one? Thoughts for those who has both and their recommendations.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
SteelSeries should be the better bet. It works on multiple consoles and should be pretty high quality, the quality on the new 3D pulse is a bit of an unknown at this point I think. Though get the 7X and not the 7 (last years model) or 7P (only works on PlayStation).

Im still waiting on the 7X to get restocked.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be honest: that SteelSeries comfort is hard to beat, especially going up against the Pulse 3D.

HOWEVER

It's about what's currently available to you and the major, major sticking point of the SS not having system level chat mixing like the Sony stuff has.

The Pulse 3D will be able to independently adjust the volume of the game and chat mixes while the SS will not have that ability and you will have to adjust every single time...at least, you did on PS4. I don't know how it's going to work for PS5, but I'm going to take an educated guess and say it'll be the same way.

I'd say if you already have the Pulse 3D paid for, go ahead and get it. You really won't be missing too much from the SS (besides the comfort).

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be honest: that SteelSeries comfort is hard to beat, especially going up against the Pulse 3D.

HOWEVER

It's about what's currently available to you and the major, major sticking point of the SS not having system level chat mixing like the Sony stuff has.

The Pulse 3D will be able to independently adjust the volume of the game and chat mixes while the SS will not have that ability and you will have to adjust every single time...at least, you did on PS4. I don't know how it's going to work for PS5, but I'm going to take an educated guess and say it'll be the same way.

I'd say if you already have the Pulse 3D paid for, go ahead and get it. You really won't be missing too much from the SS (besides the comfort).

Yeah because sometimes I play for maybe 4 to 5 hours on gaming and comfort is a big plus. Talking on the headset is secondary since I only use it for team battles and not casual conversation. Since my local Walmart has both, on my way there I have a hard decision to make.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany

HOWEVER

But the Arctis has a dial for chat mix directly on the right side, does this not work with PS4/PS5? Or do you mean something different?
I can on the fly change how much of the game or the chat I hear on PC with it, so I'm a little bit confused.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
But the Arctis has a dial for chat mix directly on the right side, does this not work with PS4/PS5? Or do you mean something different?
I can on the fly change how much of the game or the chat I hear on PC with it, so I'm a little bit confused.

Yeah the dial doesn't work in that manner on PS4(5?); it'll actually turn off all sound once you turn it all the way down; even a notch above and both the game and chat mix volume goes back up to standard. It sucks but eh.

Yeah because sometimes I play for maybe 4 to 5 hours on gaming and comfort is a big plus. Talking on the headset is secondary since I only use it for team battles and not casual conversation. Since my local Walmart has both, on my way there I have a hard decision to make.

Yeah, hard but not impossible. Like someone said above: I'd get the 7X just because it's compatible with everything: PS5 and Xbox Series.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't compare the two (though I do have a Pulse 3D preordered) the Steelseries Arctis headsets are incredibly comfortable. I've basically lived in the things all year and have zero complaints. They sound great, the strap is super comfy and adjustable, and it has a chat mix dial (edit. sounds like from the above posts this won't work for PS5).

It does look like from steelseries website that the 7 will not support wireless surround sound, and while I have the arctis pro I doubt it will support surround either as it uses optical in for both surround sound and for chat mix features (game audio is optical, chat is usb).

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, hard but not impossible. Like someone said above: I'd get the 7X just because it's compatible with everything: PS5 and Xbox Series.

I know the 7x was designed around the Xbox but is it missing features that 7p have for the PlayStation? If I do invest in the steelseries and cancel my pulse 3D order I just want to make sure that the headset doesn't make it gimped for the PlayStation.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I know the 7x was designed around the Xbox but is it missing features that 7p have for the PlayStation? If I do invest in the steelseries and cancel my pulse 3D order I just want to make sure that the headset doesn't make it gimped for the PlayStation.

Doesn't look like it. The 7X has both the wireless setup for Xbox and the USB dongle for PS.

Again, I'd go with the Pulse 3D until you can make a better decision. Besides, you can always return to Walmart with a receipt.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look like it. The 7X has both the wireless setup for Xbox and the USB dongle for PS.

Again, I'd go with the Pulse 3D until you can make a better decision. Besides, you can always return to Walmart with a receipt.

Yeah you're right better safe than sorry, I'll grab the Pulse 3D headset for now and test them out for the next couple of days after launch. If they feel slightly uncomfortable after are good sitting, I'll get my money back and get the steelseries.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
The Wireless 1s have the same sound and mic quality (as 7x) if you wanted to save $50. Also a viable option.

Last edited:

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
I had the old Pulse Elite and it was great, but I had to change for an Arctis 7 and I have zero regrets. It's superconfortable and although I miss natural bass from the Pulse Elite, that can be adjusted. The new Pulse 3D looks to copy the Arctis 7 bands structure for confort, which is nice, but only trying it out to see if it's good. Given that, I can only recommend the Arctis 7 since I haven't tried it out the Pulse 3D.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation headsets have an advantage over third-party models when it comes to ease of use. Switching from speaker to headphone audio is as simple as turning it on, whereas I have to go into the settings every time i want to switch to my Arctis.

Chat balance also doesn't work at all on PS4 (and probably PS5). If the Pulse 3D is even close to the comfort of the Arctis 7, I'd go with the Pulse.

Camillo

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got my 7x two days ago, I'm currently using them with my PS4. They destroy my old Sony Platinum Headset, far better ergonomics and sound. Only thing missing is chat balance, which has to be adjusted by opening your party window (but will work directly with XBox).

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The PlayStation headsets have an advantage over third-party models when it comes to ease of use. Switching from speaker to headphone audio is as simple as turning it on, whereas I have to go into the settings every time i want to switch to my Arctis.

Chat balance also doesn't work at all on PS4 (and probably PS5). If the Pulse 3D is even close to the comfort of the Arctis 7, I'd go with the Pulse.

Weird, that's not happening with my HyperX or my Arctis 7x. I plug it in and it switches straight to it.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The 7x will work with both consoles so it will potentially save money for anyone buying both console or is planning on eventually owning both consoles.

The chat game mix can always be adjusted by going into the menu system of the sound device via the PS5. Just like you can do that now with the PS4. The external switch for the Xbox consoles is easier, but I have found that once I have made a chat adjustment - it works for most games. I cannot imagine it is a worse experience on the PS5.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
So I'm totally new to all of this. I was considering getting some ANC headphones (maybe Sony's new top of the line or maybe Surface headphones now that they're $250). But thinking about it, I haven't traveled or worked in a noisy environment in about a year now.

I know the Arctis 7x doesn't have noise cancellation, but being able to use it with my consoles would be a pretty big plus. I NEED the dongle to use it on PC, though right? Fortunately, I have a spare USB-C slot most of the time.. though.. that is where I plug in my controller sometimes, so maybe I'll need to rethink that. Does it have a mute button and will it allow me to use all the fancy 3D audio stuff from Dolby and DTS?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting both the PS5 and XSX. I have the 3D Pulse headset and I am going to get either the 7x or Penrose X that will work with both consoles.

Divizzle

Jan 19, 2020
I got lucky this weekend and purchased the Arctis 7x from my local Walmart to use across PC, series X, and PS5. I've been impressed with them so far and would give my recommendation due to their flexibility across all devices.

Steelseries marketing is intentionally misleading, however. The 7x is marketed to work with everything (the dongle has a button to switch from 'Xbox' to 'usb' for all other devices) while the Arctics 7p supposedly only works with PlayStation. The 7p promotes the temptest audio engine on their website but we've heard from Sony that the 3d audio will work on other usb headsets.

If I had to do it all over again and the pulse was in stock when I bought the 7x, I'd still buy the 7x.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
if the arctis 7 have about the same design as the arctis pro wireless, can confirm they are very comfortable even longer periods of time

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation branded headphones have crap audio and even worse build quality.

Relly

Banned
Oct 19, 2019
Playstation branded headphones have crap audio and even worse build quality.

Steelseries 7 has the same problem with bad quality plastic, The number one problem with every steelseries problem is that the hinges always break in the same spot. Poor design flaw

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Steelseries 7 has the same problem with bad quality plastic, The number one problem with every steelseries problem is that the hinges always break in the same spot. Poor design flaw
Yeah I'm pretty weary of any headband and hinge that uses plastic (especially without metal reinforcement) for longevity issues.

Dec 13, 2017
This was a pretty interesting thread since I'm in the market for something when my PS5 arrives but I have a few questions:

• How's the sound quality for the Arctis 7x when compared to Sennheiser GAME ZERO and Sennheiser PXC 550 headsets? The bold underlined italics are totally not ironic.
  • It looks like the 7x, or really everything else, doesn't support Sony's surround sound, so why I would buy anything but the Pulse 3D?
  • If I get the 7x for PC couch gaming via my Shield TV Pro, will it work for both gaming and Discord voice?
  • [Tangentially related but related to the OP] Can you use USB port expansion hubs with Shield TV Pro's because I'm already out of USB ports?

Dec 13, 2017
Where are you getting that info from?
My mistake.
I read an old review before Arctis released this statement:
steelseries.com

Arctis 7P Wireless Headset Features

The Arctis 7P Wireless brings the award-winning Arctis 7 to next-gen PlayStation 5 consoles using an innovative USB-C wireless dongle.

So then the remaining questions are around sound quality and Shield TV Pro game streaming from my PC.

The 7P product page says it's supported but not the 7x:
steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So I'm totally new to all of this. I was considering getting some ANC headphones (maybe Sony's new top of the line or maybe Surface headphones now that they're $250). But thinking about it, I haven't traveled or worked in a noisy environment in about a year now.

I know the Arctis 7x doesn't have noise cancellation, but being able to use it with my consoles would be a pretty big plus. I NEED the dongle to use it on PC, though right? Fortunately, I have a spare USB-C slot most of the time.. though.. that is where I plug in my controller sometimes, so maybe I'll need to rethink that. Does it have a mute button and will it allow me to use all the fancy 3D audio stuff from Dolby and DTS?
You need the dongle to use it wirelessly yes but can connect it to the 3.5 mm jack. You could also plug in your controller if it's an Xbox controller and then plug the headset into that jack, I believe the ds4 works the same but I'm not sure about the dual sense. The mute button I'm not sure about so someone else will have to answer that one. It will allow you to do 3d audio either through pc/Xbox with Dolby atmos or dts and on ps5 with the tempest stuff

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I used to have a pair of Sony Golds that I liked quite a bit, but the Arctis 7 blows them out of the water. Sony Platinums were also just bad. They are kind of hit or miss in my experience. Arctis is a known quantity and a very good product.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone happen to know if the SteelSeries Arctis 7X is compatible directly with TCL 6 Series and/or Sony 4K TVs?

Also, where is the best place to buy it in Canada?

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone happen to know if the SteelSeries Arctis 7X is compatible directly with TCL 6 Series and/or Sony 4K TVs?

Also, where is the best place to buy it in Canada?
Don't know about the TVs, but the 7x just came back on Steelseries's website (and still in stock at the time of writing this).
It's about $40 to ship here (that includes taxes), but I got a 10% off code just for waiting in the cart, but YMMV.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You need the dongle to use it wirelessly yes but can connect it to the 3.5 mm jack. You could also plug in your controller if it's an Xbox controller and then plug the headset into that jack, I believe the ds4 works the same but I'm not sure about the dual sense. The mute button I'm not sure about so someone else will have to answer that one. It will allow you to do 3d audio either through pc/Xbox with Dolby atmos or dts and on ps5 with the tempest stuff
Awesome, thank for the info :D Yea, having a 3.5mm would work most of the time for me then.

Just checked and yes, there's a mute buttom - and they make it pretty easy to tell when it's muted or not, which is perfect. I will have to check this out... I shouldn't expect any deals for BF, right? Or should I instead be worried about it being sold out?

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
A lot of people recommending the SS headset but nobody able to justify through any real comparison with the Pulse 3D?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Just to offer an opposing opinion on comfort, I have the Siberia P800 and they're the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever owned. It feels like my head is in a vice and my head isn't particularly large (it certainly isn't wide) - I've not had this issue with any other headphones.

Functionally they're great, but maybe try them out to see what they feel like before making the choice.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I've cancelled my Pulse 3D pre-order after reports that cups are pretty small. I now have Arctis 7p underway since it's supposed to be fully compatible with Sony's Tempest 3D AudioTech as opposed to the 7X. Added benefit that my wife and I are both working from home and we now have two PC headsets. She had been stealing my Steelseries Siberia wired headphones for a while, leaving me shouting into the shitty laptop microphone for my calls and meetings.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I've cancelled my Pulse 3D pre-order after reports that cups are pretty small. I now have Arctis 7p underway since it's supposed to be fully compatible with Sony's Tempest 3D AudioTech as opposed to the 7X. Added benefit that my wife and I are both working from home and we now have two PC headsets. She had been stealing my Steelseries Siberia wired headphones for a while, leaving me shouting into the shitty laptop microphone for my calls and meetings.
The 7X and 7P are both fully compatible with 3D audio. All USB headsets are as the processing is done on the console.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
A lot of people recommending the SS headset but nobody able to justify through any real comparison with the Pulse 3D?
Most people haven't had hands on with the pulse, but it sounds like 7X will be better based on the other thread. The sound of the old arctis products was far better than the Sony's. Sony previously had built in surround sound but as 3D audio is processed on console that's no longer the case.. Basically it is arctis 7 for (probably) better sound, better mic and compatability on both consoles v a slight convenience advantage on pulse (chat dial)

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just ordered the 7x, thanks for the infos and input, peeps :)
(don't forget the voucher DREAMOG for 12% off)

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017

The 7p and 7x are identical except for color and 7x can be played on both Xbox and PlayStation (ignoring PC, Switch, etc) and 7p is only compatible with PlayStation. Tempest/Atmos not an issue on either.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
The 7X and 7P are both fully compatible with 3D audio. All USB headsets are as the processing is done on the console.
The 7p and 7x are identical except for color and 7x can be played on both Xbox and PlayStation (ignoring PC, Switch, etc) and 7p is only compatible with PlayStation. Tempest/Atmos not an issue on either.

This is what I read here and there, but since the official website specifically mentions the Tempest AudioTech compliance with the 7P, yet it doesn't with the 7X, I started doubting and got the black 7P.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up my Pulse 3D headset yesterday. I will not be keeping them. Ear cups are too small and have an extremely cheap pleather type material that is terribly uncomfortable. Sound was ok for $100. I'll be keeping my Arctis, it is far superior.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
You should really consider compatibility. I made this mistake and now I have to use different headsets on different devices. Also, if you look at build quality the 7x looks to be more solidly made. The plastic headsets are light but feel cheaper and could be more prone to breaking.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't know about the TVs, but the 7x just came back on Steelseries's website (and still in stock at the time of writing this).
It's about $40 to ship here (that includes taxes), but I got a 10% off code just for waiting in the cart, but YMMV.

OK, thanks. So no Best Buy, Amazon, etc. then. Any word on when that might change?

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to buy this headset because I want something wireless for once and the 7X appears to work on everything.

Random, but is it easy to tell if you're muted with this headset? I currently have a Sennheiser headset and love how it's just flipping up my mic to mute, makes it pretty obvious when im live or not. It's minor, but just a nice feature vs some hidden button I press to mute/unmute without easily knowing what my current status is.